Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
VUQMZRW.jpg

‘Cure’ is slow and methodical, yet masterful at getting under my skin with the mood it creates. I see a lot of influence particularly with Hawley’s ‘Fargo’ series, where the majority of his seasons feature an alluring supernatural character who corrupts innocent minds into committing crimes of all sorts of fashion. Just one conversation with a presence like Mamiya can doom a character completely. I’m reminded here of how even the sharpest detective is still ultimately a fish in a vast ocean of evil.

The creepiest thing to me wasn’t those dream sequences, nor the grisly nature of the crimes committed, but the sound of that damn washing machine inside of Takabe’s home. It stuck out to me because that’s supposed to be the one safe haven from all of the outside madness, yet the sound of an empty rumbling washing machine rivals Mimya’s lighter in nearly filling up Takabe with murderous intent.

Fn6DjNy.jpeg

Vincent Price, one of the GOATs. It was hilarious watching him shift back and forth between outwardly evil and suave in this. I also liked just how psychedelic the flick comes across. It really didn’t matter to me how hammy some of the dialogue came across since I was too busy focusing on the colors and costume designs. Doing this on a low budget is wild and I wish was able to watch it for the first time on the big screen instead.

The lip-synching :mjlol: as well as some of the creepy pedo dialogue hasn’t aged all that well though.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
2HpocFM.jpg

Man, don’t ever let anybody tell you therapy is not important. :francis:

One of the more brutal films that is also one of the most beautiful films from a cinematography standpoint. The B&W complements the loneliness and how trapped in grief the main lead is. There were some clever shots in this that made even the victims move about in monstrous ways, which speaks to the level of mutilation placed upon them.

This isn’t the typical horror film, nor is Henry, but both feature horrifying situations that could very well happen in real life. They’re arguably PSAs on the nightmarish scenarios of letting that one stranger into your house or picking up that lone hitchhiker on the side of the road.

This was the kind of double feature that made me want to take a shower afterwards.

bLbRYoL.jpeg

Disturbing on all fronts and unapologetically grimy in presentation. From Henry’s busted ol’ whip, the neon lights illuminating the dirty streets of Chicago, and to that undercooked fish dinner. :scusthov:

At the same time, I loved that about it and I remember saying the same after watching ‘The New York Ripper’. More modern films need to get back to showcasing the NASTY in these big cities, because it’s not always glitz and glamour…especially in the inner cities. (Shoutout ‘Love Lies Bleeding’).

Rooker nails down the role so hard. His eyes look soulless here and he has the face of someone I’d imagine would be behind Michael Myers’ mask in 1978.

Becky immediately asking if Henry really killed his mother after Otis just told her not to say a word about it is :mjlol:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Last night I watched two more movies after Henry

The Woman (2011)
The_woman_film_poster.jpg

I haven't rewatched The Woman until now. I found out about the movie from an end of the year Bloody-Disgusting list.

The movie still hit after all these years. The gore at the end is still top notch. The way the father terrorizes the women in his family stuck out more this time.

Even though I stopped watching The Walking Dead I'd see Pollyanna McIntosh in promos for the shows she's on and was :salute:. She deserves it after this movie. They don't give Angela Bettis enough to do until the end of the movie. Lauren Ashley Carter does a Jenna Ortega thing throughout the whole movie. I might just be saying that but really though they got the same eyes and kinda the same look.

Darlin 2019
Darlin%27_%282019%29_Film_Poster.jpg

This is the sequel to The Woman. I never watched it. I heard polarizing things about it. I aint really like it. The actors and everything were fine enough it just wasn't as interesting as The Woman. The not shocking at all twist in this movie is that the Catholic bishop of an all girls Catholic Home for Wayward Teen Girls abuses them:comeon:

It has Nora-Jane Noone from The Descent in it. Her and the male nurse are the best parts of the movie but they don't have much screen time.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Seance

A Shudder release that I don’t know how it was released. Just a boring slasher. Only decent kills are at the end. Tried to seem like it was gonna have a touch of supernatural, but that’s tossed in the bushes as the film goes on, only to appear at the end. Weak characters too. And of course the writer forced a same sex angle when it wasn’t even built properly. Such a waste of time.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List - Day 12 - Choose Your Own - New Religion (Screambox - Prime)
Miyabi, a call girl, meets clients who photograph parts of her body. She realizes each photo brings her daughter's spirit closer. As only her eyes remain to be captured, it leads to societal collapse in this fantasy film.

I'll overhype this one until I'm blue in the face. I LOVE the visual style and dreamy nature of everything about this movie. It's a meditation on grief, which is common in horror, but this one takes a really unique angle on it. Every time Minabi meets a client, he takes a picture of one of her body parts. Then that body part can feel the presence of her dead daughter...picture her hand; she can brush her daughter's head again.

It's a really striking portrayal of depression and the stagnation that can take hold. But it's also got this nightmarish spiral going on into a broader darker story, and a mystery about the person behind all of this. I think it's in the same visual and vibes spectrum as Cure and Audition...two of my favorite horror movies ever. That feeling is so rarely captured, that I'll ALWAYS stan it.

Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List - Day 13 - Junk (2004)
A team of jewel thieves are caught between a yakuza gang and a mass of zombies when they enter an abandoned factory once used as a site for secret experiments by the U.S. military.

This was such a perfect palate cleanser after we dove into some really dark and twisted subject matter. It's so much fun! This could pass for a regular heist movie for the first 25 minutes or so, but then the zombie madness starts and it's just some good old fashioned chaos with a high dose of campy acting. I love things like Saki rushing back with a knife to face a a man with a machine gun and unlimited ammo.

I also want to give a quick shout out to what seem like homages to classics to me. The green ooze was straight out of Reanimator, and I swear the white juice coming out of the smart zombie looked just like the Stuff. The blood and guts effects were really good too.

The List:
1. Triangle (Prime)
2. The Loved Ones (Paramount+)
3. Salem's Lot 2024 (Max)
4. Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (Tubi)
5. VHS Beyond (Shudder)
6. *Choose your own* - Haunt (2019)
7. Don't Go in the House (Tubi, Youtube)

8. Cure (Internet Archive)
9. Masque of the Red Death(Pluto/Apple TV+)
10. The Eyes of My Mother (Max)
11. Henry Portait of a Serial Killer (Peacock)
12. Curse of Chucky (Netflix)
13. *Choose your own*
14. Junk (2000) (Youtube)

15. Detention (2011) (Tubi)
16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)
17. The Skeleton Key(Peacock/Apple TV+)
18. The Witch (Max)
19. Brain Damage 1988 (Tubi)
20. *Choose your own*
21. Audition (Tubi)
22. J. D.'s Revenge(Tubi/Brown Sugar/Prime)
23. Dead Silence (Tubi)
24. Sinister (Max)
25. World War Z (Paramount Plus)
26. The Burbs (Youtube)
27. *Choose your own*
28. 28 Days Later
29. Black Christmas (Tubi)
30. The Shining(MAX/Apple TV+)
31. John Carpenter's Halloween

Next up is a straight-up horror comedy, Detention. I'm a battle rap fan, so I watched it as soon as it came out for Dumbfoundead and Organik's presence on the cast. I remember it being another fun watch, so I'm looking forward to revisiting it.