Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
This looks like an atmospheric dope throwback:ohhh::feedme:
I’m hoping it’s better than 2010 Wolfman, where the gothic atmosphere and Victorian aesthetics were perhaps the best (and one of the only few things) it had going for it.

This take is modern, but I trust Whannell to provide a good time. I wanna see him and Wan collab on one more project together. If I could ask them any question right now, it would be what they had planned in story for that shelved Dead Silence sequel. I’d probably get an eye roll though.

@Duke Dixon Peeped the design from the other thread and I agree, it does look amateurish. But I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt with that being a costume for Halloween Horror Nights and not the end product of a feature film that will surely have touch-ups in post. :ehh:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
GXIr1z3XYAAooSB

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I gave the Deliverance a spin off the image of Glenn Close that's been running around the internet. But it's aggressively mid. Take all the Exorcism movie tropes, and apply them to a struggling black family instead of a middle-class white family. There are so many ways to explore that in interesting ways, but this ran away from going deep exploration of any of it. They touch on generational trauma, poverty traps, alcoholism, being biracial, a home with a history of violence (and hauntings), and attempts to convince doctors and social workers that your kids aren't faking possession...but almost all of that stuff gets one or two scenes, so they're more like references rather than anything to think on.

There's also Omar Epps in this movie for no apparent reason...he's dating Glenn Close...it's odd.

Anyway...mid-movie...but still better than Exorcist: Believer by a wide margin. 4 outta 10.

Post-Review note:
I read a bit about the true story they based this on, and it feels like they skipped past or changed a lot of the interesting stuff.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I gave the Deliverance a spin off the image of Glenn Close that's been running around the internet. But it's aggressively mid. Take all the Exorcism movie tropes, and apply them to a struggling black family instead of a middle-class white family. There are so many ways to explore that in interesting ways, but this ran away from going deep exploration of any of it. They touch on generational trauma, poverty traps, alcoholism, being biracial, a home with a history of violence (and hauntings), and attempts to convince doctors and social workers that your kids aren't faking possession...but almost all of that stuff gets one or two scenes, so they're more like references rather than anything to think on.

There's also Omar Epps in this movie for no apparent reason...he's dating Glenn Close...it's odd.

Anyway...mid-movie...but still better than Exorcist: Believer by a wide margin. 4 outta 10.
Wait…what?! :dead:

I keep hearing a lot about that movie though and despite all the talk, I have zero desire to watch it. Sounds like the typical Lee Daniels bullshyt.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Wait…what?! :dead:

I keep hearing a lot about that movie though and despite all the talk, I have zero desire to watch it. Sounds like the typical Lee Daniels bullshyt.
Not even kidding, he's there for two or three scenes with nothing meaningful to do or say other then grind with Cruella Deville in a party scene.

Typical Lee Daniels BS sounds about right, but I don't watch Lee Daniels movies to be sure.