Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Upcoming Brazilian horror flick.

THE NIGHTSHIFTER

lZNJtEY.jpg

Stênio works the night shift at a morgue in a very large, very violent city. On the job, he sees cadavers in every conceivable state, often the victims of horrific gang warfare. While most would be rather unsettled by it all, Stênio is not. For the dead speak to him. Not in any metaphorical sense but in a very literal way. Stênio was born with an occult gift and while not everyone would be at ease conversing with mutilated cadavers on slabs, he has learned that there are endless secrets that can be gleaned this way. Related to crime. To prosperity. One day he learns a terrible secret about people in his own life. He commits the sin of acting on knowledge obtained from the dead, cursing himself and those dearest to him in the process.

Just caught this on Shudder the other day. I dug it. Terrible title tho. It's The Dead Don't Speak in Portuguese :francis:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
If I'm not mistaken, they were trying to make Dracula Untold the first of a Universal Monsters crossover universe like the MCU. But it fell through. That woulda been pretty epic!

"You fukked with the wrong one" is definitely a good name for the genre. High-key one of the most entertaining horror genres too :mjgrin:
Dracula Untold was pretty good. Woulda been a nice way to start of the Monsterverse.
Just caught this on Shudder the other day. I dug it. Terrible title tho. It's The Dead Don't Speak in Portuguese :francis:
Yeah, it’s a good film. Maybe a bit too long? I came across it when it was part of a Dollar Tree movie shipment.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
I agree I rewatched the movie while I was doing something and I stopped doing what I was doing and just watched the movie. I enjoyed the movie a second time. Great tragic love story horror or not.

There's definitely a lot more I didn't see that shyt coming in The Beyond than in Baskin, no pun intended. The story in Baskin, and the acting is better. If you seen a lot of zombie movies you might get pissed at one character.
Watched ths beyond. Yeah it is something :ohhh:
How I sleep on this. The ending is one of the best I've seen in a horror movie. :jbhmm:
they likely entered into hell and they went blind due to the bottomless dread they are witnessing. Similar to emily. Emily probably escaped it which is why she screamed she didn't wanna go back. The zombie shyt is just minor crap. The true horror is what lies in the beyond. Everywhere they turned everywhere they ran there was no escape. That there is some bleak shyt

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Latest watch: In the Earth

As the world searches for a cure to a disastrous virus, a scientist and park scout venture deep in the forest for a routine equipment run.
Sidenote: It's by the guy who wrote and directed Kill List.

The trailer doesn't give away too much, because this movie's a big mindfukk. It's basically a bad mushroom trip in the woods. But just like with Kill List, Ben Wheatley hits us with some really unique ideas that turn a typical "lost in the woods" story into something with a lot to piece together. A scientist and his ranger guide head into a big forest looking for another scientist that was conducting a survey but hasn't responded in months. The rest of the plot is best experienced.

Don't expect this to live up to Kill List, which is pretty damned elite IMO. But it's a really interesting watch, with trippy moments, and an ending worth mulling over. It's on Hulu.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I finally watched Maxxxine, and I'm still gathering my thoughts. It's weird because I think as a stand alone film, this is the weakest of the trilogy. But I like it as a trilogy-capper. It hits the themes from the first two with a unique style, look, and story. Part of me feels like I'd like it even more if I was more of a Giallo enthusiast. The aesthetic didn't hit as well with this one.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I watched the Steamboat Willie Horror movie, and it's exactly as vapid and terrible as you'd expect from a Steamboat Willie horror movie.

The acting is bad, it knows that it's going for camp, but it uses that as an excuse for a lazy effort everywhere. I feel like they didn't have an effects team. 99% of the kills are cutaways where we see the mouse behind a person, and it cuts to the next scene. They don't show the bodies afterward either, or even much in the way of crime scenes. We just get characters saying "I saw blood over there."

There's also no plot, a pointless villain, and humor that flops 9 times out of 10. But this did hit a bottom so low that I couldn't look away. Here are some spoilers of dumb shyt from the movie, so you never bother watching...

- The movie takes place at a Dave and Buster's. The manager makes a girl work overtime, then retreats to his personal theater where he sets up a film reel of Steamboat Willie. There's no explanation for why he has a Steamboat Willie shrine.

- He gets electrocuted, because...plot. That's how we get the crazed killer.

- A group has rented out the Dave and Busters. It turns out to be the worker girl's friends. They rented out the place and forced her to work overtime to celebrate her birthday with her.

- Worker girl sees Steamboat Willie, but doesn't tell any of her friends about it.

- The characters are all tropes. There's the dude with a crush on the worker girl. The druggie guy with a horny gf. A goth chick that also has a crush on the worker girl. The douchebag that also has a crush on the worker girl. And a handful of fodder characters...who die off-screen anyway.

- Steamboat Willie has a weird voice that isn't remotely like the manager. He also has supernatural powers, including the ability to warp around the place. I'm not saying that he travels around fast like Ghostface, the cast literally mentions how he can warp around.

- Douchebag has a whole hockey team ready to jump the other dude with a crush on the worker girl, because of their mutual crush on the girl. The hockey dudes are at a bar next door waiting...but Willie pulls up on them and kills them before they can interact with any other character in the movie...no we do not see much of anything.

- One fodder girl spends the entire situation playing in VR goggles and clueless to what's going on until Willie gets her.

- One dude who has a bigger role but no distinguishing traits, gets locked on a children's rollercoaster by Willie and forced to ride lap after lap at a smooth 15 mph.

- Also, we know most of the characters that are going to die. The movie starts with goth girl being interrogated about the Willie incident. She survived, and the movie is essentially her retelling of the night. As characters are introduced, they often cut to the detectives asking questions that let us know "these dudes are dead."

- If you're wondering why nobody leaves the place, Steamboat Willie chained the doors shut. He got next door with the warping power. So the leftover survivors try to set a trap for Willie...kill or be killed and all.

- The trap is worker girl talking shyt to Willie. Then all the people with crushes on her will jump him when inevitably warps over. It kinda works.

- Just kidding! When they think they have him beaten, he warps over and cuts off worker girl's head. Then the movie ends.

- Before I go, the dialogue between the detectives and the goth chick is TERRIBLE. That's to go along with it spoiling everything worse than I just did typing this out.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps

"When You're adapting Stephen King the story is the most important thing." - Mick Garris

That reminds me I watch Sleepwalkers a couple weeks ago. Overall I enjoyed the movie but the tone is probably off for people that wanted something more scary. It reminded me most in tone with Thinner. I'm pretty sure I saw this movie as a kid because the face when they transform and the car going invisible seemed familiar.

I like these kind of specials. I used to watch Bravo's "The 100 Scariest Movie Moments" when it was on TV. That's how I found some movies before I got recommendations from the internet. I watched Audition and Oldboy because of that show. I watched "The 101 Scariest Horror Movie Moments of All Time" on Shudder last year when I had it but I skipped over movies I didn't see yet. It looks like they got the same people which is good.