Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Malum or the last shift? I've seen neither
I feel like most people prefer the Last Shift. But everyone I talk to saw the Last Shift first. I wonder if seeing Malum first might change that...probably not, go with Last Shift, and if you like it give Malum a shot for the higher production value and tweaks to the plot.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Breh thanks for looking out for me. I went on Reddit to read opinions. Everyone said the same thing 1-5 are the ones to watch then bounce.

I saw that they turn into Nazis basically slapping the series in the face

I might watch the other two in the future but I know for a fact I won’t be watching the rest.

I would have wasted my time
I got your back fam, it's similar to Hell Raiser for me in terms of falling offer. The reboot turned the puppets into an attempt at a fourth reich, and also took away all of the features that gave each puppet personality. It went for schlocky gore and edgelord humor...a literal running gag was the puppets only targeting minorities :snoop:...though, at least it had some good kills by the end.

It's definitely worth saving your time and moving on to a different franchise, or even some of the other Full Moon movies from the 90's when the good Puppet Master films were dropping. Castle Freak and Subspecies were the other big ones.

I picked up one of the ongoing series when I found the run in dollar boxes. Legit had me :gladbron: when I saw them.
I forget which Puppet Master movies I've seen. You are right they used to be on TV all the time. I know I've seen 3 and 4 but I don't remember and thing from them besides that's when certain characters debuted.

The only other Full Moon movies I've seen are The Demonic Toys, Dollman VS The Demonic Toys, Castle Freak, and Shrunken Heads.
Those Puppet Master movies were pure hidden gems, and always affordable. I remember getting a DVD collection of the whole series for 10 bones.

Full Moon was awesome in the 90's. They leaned more and more into the comedic stuff by the 00's...Gingerdead Man and Evil Bong are Full Moon's later contributions, which is pretty meh. But as a 90's kid, I remember Full Moon being reliable for entertaining flicks that would pop up on the Sy-Fy channel randomly.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
working as Finance I.T. Project lead on 3 huge projects lately.

Shyt sux

Haven't been watching like i normally do.

basically just having some stuff on in the background while i meal prep

any ways

Sparrow (2010)
foreign slasher
Its decent - doesn't move the bar by any means but its competnt and decently acted

Jurassic Triangle (2024)
basically a 2024 syfy type horror flick
dumb fun . time waster

Monsternado (2023)
another modern say Syfy movie
Acting was Mid, but had just enough fukkery to make it entertaining

Deer Camp 86 (2023)
for an indie low budget flick, its actually decent
Has a message, great kills and good comedic bits
and a nice twist at the end

Forbidden world (1982)
decent alien knockoff for its budget

Black Butler Book of the atlantic
Anime -horror Basically an animated Zombie outbreak on the "titanic"

these 2peices of crap - Honestly I could have gotten a few cases of beer , called up some old college buddies and made something better in my backyard

Space sharks

Apex predators (2021)

Last edited:

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
oh and these 2 absolutely horrible masterpieces as well
Don't watch if you want to keep your sanity - terrible.

covid killer and its sequel Omicron Killer

Last edited:

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Getting close to October- august in 2 days

we probably need to start gathering our thoughts for the Halloween watchlist this year

Hope i have enough time to watch them this year

Decent anniversaries this year as well

20 no video

but saw turns 20

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I rewatched the original Saw for the first time in a long time. It's always fun to bring fresh takes to an old movie. Quick random notes:
- I remembered the acting being bad, but it's even worse than I recalled for a bunch of characters with few exceptions.

- Some of the plot beats and decision-making are really dopey too.

- But this shyt is still somehow a masterpiece, I swear!

- The traps became a hyper-focus after this one, for good reason...but the best aspects of the OG Saw are the mysteries about the characters and the Escape Room elements. The characters are all connected to the hospital, and the clues to escape put the dots together.

- Also, the characters aren't cartoonishly bad and unlikeable. I feel like we got further and further away from that. These people were pretty normal, but flawed. It's a far cry from the dirty cops or drug cartels that Jigsaw takes down in the later movies, and it switches him from a horror villain to a bit of an anti-hero...which sucks. Keep Jigsaw SCARY! Make his victims relatable and easy to root for escaping.

- I'm not sure if I have patience to check on the twists in each ensuing iteration, but I'm pretty sure the series suffers Shyamalanification too...just way too much focus on slipping in plot twists. But maybe considering how much I forgot about the original Saw, maybe not.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
:russ:...don't suffer through it. But to atone for not finishing, you gotta watch Reeker or some shlock like that.

kyloren-sad.gif

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Why do people shyt on it? I’m a big Halloween fan and like the first one. The second one tho, that was meh.
To each their own. I just can't do it man. :snoop:
The over the top white trash characterisation. I guess that worked on other rob zombie movies here it...... Just felt :francis: especially with the original Halloween where his parents were pretty much normal. Dialogue made me wanna claw my ears out. Sometimes.... Its good to dial some things back.
It does have a good soundtrack I'll give it that

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
95. Hellhouse LLC Director’s Cut :ehh: Felt like I always see mixed reviews on this. First time watching and it was decent.

I thought the interview parts were corny. I was high af yesterday and it had me thinking I was watching Dateline lmao

The actual footage and the aftermath was fire though. The second half of this movie reminded me of Blair Witch and Paranormal activity, which I’m a fan of