Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Long Legs is a movie about an FBI tracker going after a serial killer who leaves a bunch of occult symbols and clues. Word of mouth about it has been glowing. Teasers and trailers have all been fantastic.

To top it off, the team behind it is legit. You wouldn't notice it from the teasers or trailers, but Nicholas Cage is playing the psycho here. Osgood Perkins is the director, and he's behind one of my favorite horror movies (The Blackcoat's Daughter). He has an excellent handle on atmosphere, and has never fallen victim to cheap scares...on the downside, I'd categorize him as a patient filmmaker but that easily could be "his movies are a little slow."

Here's the trailer, I don't think it gives away too much, but I think most horror is best watched blind. I'll just say that the vibes here give me something akin to Silence of the Lambs or Seven.

Had me here I don't even need a trailer:whoo::gladbron::wow:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Not horror, but that other project David Robert Mitchell is working on under Warner Bros, ‘Flowervale Street’, intrigues the hell out of me. They’ve been very tight-lipped about it. Saw it described at one point as an 80s-set thrill ride with dinosaurs, but I don’t think these will be your typical dinosaurs just by knowing who’s involved (Bad Robot), nor should they be with the new Jurassic around the corner.

Zaslav has built himself a notorious image, but damn, he got WB taking some big swings next year between this, PTA, Joon-ho, and Coogler’s projects. Each getting IMAX releases too. Very much looking forward to them.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Not horror, but that other project David Robert Mitchell is working on under Warner Bros, ‘Flowervale Street’, intrigues the hell out of me. They’ve been very tight-lipped about it. Saw it described at one point as an 80s-set thrill ride with dinosaurs, but I don’t think these will be your typical dinosaurs just by knowing who’s involved (Bad Robot), nor should they be with the new Jurassic around the corner.

Zaslav has built himself a notorious image, but damn, he got WB taking some big swings next year between this, PTA, Joon-ho, and Coogler’s projects. Each getting IMAX releases too. Very much looking forward to them.
After It Follows and Under the Silver Lake, I'll definitely tune in for anything written by David Robert Mitchell.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I’m a little worried they’ll just redo the scares from part one with a new setting. We get a good idea of the opening and it seems like the opening of the first one all over.

But the bits of her walking through crowded areas with random people smiling at her look like they’ll work really well.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I turned it off 20 mins in. It’s not on a level for me to give it a weekend watch. This is something you throw on when there’s nothing else.
shyt was cheeks...and they have the fukking audacity to end it with to be continued :russ:

Story was not that good or intriguing

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Take solace in the fact you haven't read the article yet, because the amount of :francis: faces I'm making right now at these what-ifs is too damn high.
I'm about to read it and get upset :mjlol:. Edit: Oh man. This genuinely hurts!

They were so close! With a Dream Team forming...
Charlize Theron was eyed to play Pam Voorhees in the A24 show based on the beloved “Friday the 13th” horror franchise, set in the immediate aftermath of the drowning of a young Jason Voorhees.

A $300,000 deposit on soundstages in Canada had already been placed. Directors like Vincenzo Natali and Kimberly Peirce were earmarked to direct episodes. Kevin Williamson, who wrote Wes Craven’s “Scream,” was set to write what was described as the show’s “Red Wedding” – referring to the infamous “Game of Thrones” episode – set entirely on a frozen Crystal Lake, with the summer camp’s cabins trapped under snow drifts. “I had packed for being away for seven months,” said one member of the “Crystal Lake” team.

The concept sounds epic, and I think Fuller is one of the few I'd trust to pull it off. Plus, I didn't realize they could use the mask. I thought they only had kid Jason's rights.
In the grand ambition of “Crystal Lake,” each season would be a “deconstruction” of the first four Paramount movies. The series would incorporate lore from several sequels but remix that material in a way similar to Fuller’s “Hannibal,” which interpolated the Thomas Harris novels for three seasons.

“We had the mask, we had the sequels, we could do whatever we wanted. He had a good path forward, which I did really like,” said a source close to the A24 side, of Fuller’s vision.

And here we have the problem....A24 not wanting to pay writers.
By January of 2023, a development room had been established, with Fuller, Gray and several writers working on deepening the world of “Crystal Lake.” What was initially a six-week stint was extended to May 2. That’s when the Writers Guild of America went on strike.

By Thanksgiving, both the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes had been resolved, and by the beginning of 2024, “Crystal Lake” was back on track. Except there was one problem: Despite being the first studio to sign the WGA’s Minimum Basic Agreement, A24 refused to convert the writers who had worked on that initial development phase into actual, paid writers, according to several sources.

The writers had gone on strike in part over this practice of merely keeping a development room instead of converting that room into a paid writers’ room, and it was now verboten according to the WGA’s new deal with the studios. A24 assured Fuller and Gray that there would be a paid writers’ room but later backtracked, according to several “Crystal Lake” sources.

The lack of paid writers created an unfortunate logjam. Fuller couldn’t deliver polished scripts because the writers who wrote the initial versions needed to do another draft but were prohibited by guild guidelines, because they weren’t staffed writers. According to those with knowledge of the situation, the four writers are owed roughly $100,000 each for already completed work.

There's some he-said, she-said going on.
Those close to the project on the A24 side said “Crystal Lake” fell behind on producing scripts, which impacted the entire production.

Several other sources rebutted that claim and said not only was the production moving ahead as promised, it was actually ahead of schedule.

A24 also argued with Fuller and Gray over the scripts. “A24 would say ‘the writers’ room is Jim and Bryan’s living rooms.’ Their thinking was, ‘Well, we’ve gotten as far without them,’” said one member of the “Crystal Lake” team.

It honestly only gets worse with the finger-pointing too.
An individual close to A24 said Fuller was too busy working on his upcoming movie “Dust Bunny” to pay attention to “Crystal Lake.” This has happened to him before, on “Star Trek: Discovery” and “American Gods” — two shows Fuller exited over budget concerns. “Crystal Lake” producers said that the production was unaffected by Fuller’s feature duties and that he wrote two “Crystal Lake” scripts while in post-production on the movie.

A source close to A24 maintains it was Fuller who didn’t want an actual writers’ room and that they would have hired the writers on if the show wasn’t so over-budget. “It was never like it was never happening,” said one source close to the production on the A24 side. “It was purely how does it look – are people coming for the whole production or part of the production? We still had a budget that was wildly over.”

“Crystal Lake” producers maintain they consistently requested additional weeks for the writers room and were told by A24 executives that Peacock had mandated they get no more than six weeks, when the WGA was mandating 12-week minimums. A source close to Peacock denies making these mandates.

More accusations in both directions over budget issues...
TheWrap viewed a budget compiled roughly a month before “Crystal Lake” was shut down that shows the series was roughly over budget by about $4-$6 million for the entire season. As the show progressed through prep and pre-production, several “Crystal Lake” insiders felt sure that the budget could be corralled to the satisfaction of both A24 and the “Crystal Lake” team. As one “Crystal Lake” team member said, depending on the strength of the American dollar, the budget could have been reduced by $2 million just by the conversion.

According to several “Crystal Lake” team members, the A24 executives were unaware of exactly how a television show operated. One often-repeated story involves Young. When the plan was introduced to shoot the show in multiple units — with a main unit, a second unit and a splinter unit — Young asked if A24 would have to hire two of every department head. (TV normally works with single department heads whose work filters into every unit, with one art director providing the art direction for the entire show, etc.)

“If you’re the production executive on ‘Red Rocket’ and you’re suddenly on this, you’re flabbergasted,” said one “Crystal Lake” member, referring to A24’s 2021 film with a budget of just $1.1 million. A source close to the project refuted this, suggesting that A24 had just come off of “The Sympathizer,” an HBO series that had “1.5 times the budget of ‘Crystal Lake.’”

Then it just gets depressing. It sounds like they're scrapping Fuller's scripts, and the property is "radioactive." The commentary has me leaning toward A24 dropping the ball, but it's speculation regardless.

Last edited: