Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I started this and can't even remember if i watched the whole thing to the end. LOL. This seems like a movie that had a good idea, but they needed somebody to clean it up a little and make sense of that idea. Trying not to give away spoilers because i do at least remember the "trait" as you put it.
I feel like you'd remember the ending if you got to that point :mjlol: . There are some WILD scenes to close, definitely the most memorable parts. But I co-sign the need for some cleaning up to the fullest! I think the writer's POV is great, she also directed and the cinematography is really strong IMO...but the editing room needed to make it fit together better, or maybe there some scenes they didn't have budget to shoot or something. There are just some gaps that if they filled in, could have made this movie a home run.

I still think it was worth a watch and pretty decent, but it had potential to be great thanks to that "trait" and the way it gets utilized in the second half of the story.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Here's the "30 before Halloween" list as it stands. I just realized that October 13th is Friday the Thirteenth, so I'm locking that in as Friday the 13th, but I'm open to suggestions for which one we should collectively watch. I marathon'ed 'em all a couple years back, so I'm not partial.

1. Trick r' Treat (Amazon Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Amazon Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Amazon Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Amazon Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)
7. *Choose your own*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Amazon Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Amazon)
13. Friday the 13th
14. *Choose your own*
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Amazon Prime)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Amazon Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
28. *Choose your own*
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Here's the "30 before Halloween" list as it stands. I just realized that October 13th is Friday the Thirteenth, so I'm locking that in as Friday the 13th, but I'm open to suggestions for which one we should collectively watch. I marathon'ed 'em all a couple years back, so I'm not partial.

The F13th that I want to watch most is Part 6 or the remake from 2009. I didn't watch the remake on my last watch through a few years ago and part 6 is always a fun watch.

I listened to a few episodes of the podcast you posted. The 2 best episodes I heard were the one about a 2012(?) F13th reboot and the Mike Flanigan I Know What You Did Last Summer reboot. They both have a guy named Jinx as the cohost. He is the best cohost I heard on there because he does the same thing for Bloody-disgusting.com with his articles called Phantom Limbs. He does a lot of research and it shows by making the podcast a lot better when he shows up.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Paramount Plus has some decent stuff and some newish horror. I tried a few flicks out...

Organ Trail:

Organ Trail is another in the long line of "the frontier sucked" movies, with a dose of revenge. If you liked the Nightingale, this is along those lines. A girl's family is murdered and she gets taken, which leads to a lot of murder and mayhem. This nailed down the gritty, ugly, and realistic horrors of the frontier until the very end. At the end it slipped into a lot less realism but granted us some great prosthetics and a really nice payoff on the last kill of the film.

Still, the ending kinda frustrated me and it had a strange feeling that nothing was accomplished...and I mean that for character growth, situations evolving or any of it. One character has a genuine arc and the rest felt like they all stayed in place and just moved the plot. So it was pretty good, but Nightingale would be my pick before this.

Significant Other:

This is a really cool twist on "something's changed about my lover while we're in the woods together" horrors that drop every now and then. If Organ Trail felt methodic and plodding, this one felt like it couldn't stick to any one beat for long. Once the action starts, things happen fast and the story progresses quickly. That keeps it from overstaying its welcome.

Throw in the creativity of the premise and I liked this the most of the trio I have listed.

Disquiet:

This one's the weakest link. I swear I talked about this already, but I can't find the post. It's got a mostly abandoned hospital setting with a "is this real" vibe that should be can't miss. But it fails to land the scares and kinda cheats...which is to say, characters appear and disappear...die and come back to life...they personality change when it's suited. So nothing feels coherent or earned, and none of the deaths work.

It's still not completely awful, but it is incredibly mid and I wouldn't rush to recommend it. Watch if you've got nothing else to throw on, but otherwise, you can probably feel safe passing.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The F13th that I want to watch most is Part 6 or the remake from 2009. I didn't watch the remake on my last watch through a few years ago and part 6 is always a fun watch.

I listened to a few episodes of the podcast you posted. The 2 best episodes I heard were the one about a 2012(?) F13th reboot and the Mike Flanigan I Know What You Did Last Summer reboot. They both have a guy named Jinx as the cohost. He is the best cohost I heard on there because he does the same thing for Bloody-disgusting.com with his articles called Phantom Limbs. He does a lot of research and it shows by making the podcast a lot better when he shows up.
Those are two of my favorites. I'm gonna peg it for Jason Lives.

1. Trick r' Treat (Amazon Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Amazon Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Amazon Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Amazon Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)
7. *Choose your own*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Amazon Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Amazon)
13. Friday the 13th: Jason Lives
14. *Choose your own*
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Amazon Prime)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Amazon Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
28. *Choose your own*
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I'm ready tp jump back in
Boogie pop Phantom is way too low.

Serial Experiment Lain is one of my all time favorite anime but I always thought of it more philosophical than horror.

Devilman Crybaby is awesome! Messed up ending but it’s great.

Perfect Blue would be my number one, though I’ve never seen a few on the list including their top one and Corpse Party which both came in above it.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Watched Argento's Suspiria last tonight. It's decent, but I gotta say I was disappointed; maybe because there was too much positive talk about it and I expected more kills. The score really annoyed me. It's like they put the music on too early or for a scene where it wasn't needed. Editing was choppy at times too.

Hopefully the other films are better, :ld: