Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I've been watching a lot of horror movies since July 4th until about a couple weeks ago. I got in the spirit to watch some summer based horror movies, or atleast horror movies that dealt with water. In case you’re looking for a movie to watch soon or next month for Halloween. I’m going to break these up into different posts so it’s easier to keep track.

Since I watched Suspiria I wanted to watch something else with witches. I ended up watching the WARLOCK series. I know for sure I watched the second movie as a kid but I didn't remember anything but Julian Sands killing people with finger guns.

Warlock 1989

Warlocksands.jpg

This movie was a fun watch. Julian Sands and Richard E Grant carried this movie. The story was alright but those two were great. I don’t think Lori Singer really wanted to be there. Her character wasn’t the best to be fair. If this movie was made 5-10 years ago it’d probably be played by Kaley Cuoco.

The special effects don't really hold up. I think because of his wardrobe and the way he flies, Warlock looks like one of Zod’s gang from Superman 2.

Watch

Warlock: The Armageddon 1993

Warlock_the_armageddon_poster.jpg

This movie is ridiculous. If this movie had Richard E Grant teaming up with Paula Marshall the movie would be great. Kenny feels like a poor man’s Luke Skywalker in this movie.

This movie feels a lot like Wishmaster where he kills people in unique ways that aren’t connected to each other. I really would have liked a Warlock VS Wishmaster movie. The best scenes in this movie is when we follow Sands around meeting random people and killing them in unique ways. My favorite kill is when he turned someone into a Picasso statue.

Watch

Warlock III: The End of Innocence 1999

Warlock_III_The_End_of_Innocence_DVD_cover_from_amazon.JPG

This feels like one of those later Hellraiser movies. I think they just slapped the Warlock name and changed another script hoping to get franchise money. It also feels a lot like the late 90s post scream films like an Urban Legend sequel. The group of 30 something college students that we have to follow aren't good and Bruce Payne’s Warlock isn’t anywhere as interesting as Sand’s.

The final girl lost me at the end when she says he never said those bad things about her friend when we saw earlier in the movie that she did.

Skip

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Summer Creature Feature

I would have watched Deep Blue Sea and The Meg here but I already watched those a couple months ago.

Lake Placid 1999

Lake_placid_ver2.jpg

This was a fun watch. There's a lot of comedy and I think the cast works well together. There's really only 1 gory part that I can remember. The ending is pretty grand and the crocodile looks cool.

Watch

Jaws 1975
JAWS_Movie_poster.jpg

This is a classic. The second half when Brody, Quint and Hooper are on the boat is fantastic. I could and have watched that part of the movie many times.

Ok I have a question: Is Jaws just Psycho Fish? Both movies put us into the killers shoes with POV shots. Both killers have some of the most distinct theme music for when the killer shows up. Speilberg has a great Dolly Zoom shot of Brody on the beach so he was inspired by Hitchcock. Now that I think about it Halloween has a lot of these things too. JLC's mom was killed in the shower in Psycho too.

Watch

Jaws 2 1978
Jaws2_poster.jpg

The mayor of this town is terrible. I don’t know how he's still in office. He's still doing the same dumb stuff as before. The movie is a lot of the same except now there's a group of teens in danger like a slasher movie. Jackie screams her brains out in this movie like she's in one too. No Hooper or Quint means it could never be as good.

Skip

Anaconda 1997
Anaconda_ver2.jpg

You know this would be a fun movie when the 1st words out of Ice Cube’s mouth are, “Today is a good day.” When I was a kid I liked this movie because I thought snakes were cool. Watching this movie now as an adult I appreciate it because of Jon Voight. Jon Voight in this movie is insane. I mean just look at the way he's staring down JLO when she's drying the sweat off her body.
4S54.gif

You can tell he was having a good time:russ:. The snakes are still cool.

Watch

Piranha 1978
PiranhaPosterA.jpg

Pretty good movie. Most enjoyable part was the main actress and the dad that was also her love interest. The movie was funny and didn’t feel slow at all.

Watch

Humanoids from the Deep 1980

Humanoids_from_the_deep.jpg

This movie felt like a Friday the 13th. I had a lot of fun watching this. The only weird parts was the rape scenes which thankfully were short. I know the director didn’t want those or shoot those.

Watch

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Deep Sea Creature or Alien

Underwater 2020

Underwater_poster.jpeg

This is Alien underwater. Kristen Stewart was actually good in this. Her character was definitely inspired by Ripley, down to the running around doing her job in her underwear. If you like Alien and didn’t like the newer films I’d recommend watching this. I forgot I hate TJ Miller. Everything I've seen him in would be better without him

Watch

Deep Rising 1998
Deep_rising_ver3.jpg

This is Aliens on a boat. Stephen Sommers almost gets the formula right that he used to make The Mummy. Not heavy on horror but high on fun.

Watch

Leviathan 1989
Leviathan_ver1.jpg

This is The Thing underwater. You got RoboCop, Ernie Hudson, and the goofy thief from Home Alone. The effects on this are nice, they got the guys that did the thing. Not as much tension as The Thing but I was never bored and had a fun time.

Watch

DeepStar Six 1989
DeepStarSix_Poster-1-.jpg

The corporate dikkhead from RoboCop was hilarious in this. His incompetence made this film enjoyable for me. I’m pissed that the black captain died a stupid death very early.

Skipable

The Rift 1989
ecc8a1acaa1fc72f8101e07372f9e874.jpg

This was the least enjoyable of these films. You got a budget Mel Gibson in this film and the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket. The black guy in this film was a bad look. Breh name is Skeets and he has one of dumbest, although funny, death scenes I’ve seen for a minute. Everything about his character is a stereotype. I wasn't offended as much as I was laughing at how dumb it was. I think some people might be.

Skippable

Sphere 1998
Spheremovieposter.jpg

This movie is carried by the cast. Samuel L Jackson was the standout for me. You also have Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, and Liev Schrieber for a bit. Not really heavy on the horror, more a psychological thriller. I had fun watching this but don’t think I will again.

Watchable

Virus 1999
Virus_%281999_film%29.jpg

This is Terminator(?) on a boat. Jamie Lee Curtis deserved an oscar for taking this shyt seriously. Not very good but the monsters made this movie interesting. I’d watch this again was decent.

Watchable if you like good bad films

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Supernatural at Sea

The Fog 1980

TheFog.1980TheatricalPoster.jpg

I never saw this before, only the remake. I prefer this although it kind of seems like nothing happened. I think they got the look for the fisherman in I Know What You Did Last Summer from this. JLC wasn’t really in this much it was more Adrienne Barbeau, I see you Mr. Carpenter :mjgrin:. Tom Atkins needed his mustache for this. I like small town horror movies and that was my favorite part of the movie.

Watchable

Ghost Ship 2002
Ghost_Ship_poster.JPG

Watchable

Like everyone says, the beginning of this movie was great. I used to watch American Gods so every time I saw Emily Browning as the spooky ghost girl it made me laugh. Everything I see him in I hate Quinn from Dexter. I never trust him either…Not the best, definitely not the worst.

Triangle 2009
Triangle_%28Christopher_Smith%29.jpg

I really enjoyed this movie. The biggest twist and shocker to me was that man just watch this yourself if you never watched it. It doesn’t have the best gore or scaress but if you pay attention you’ll enjoy the work that went into this one.

Watch really liked it, didn't spoil it on purpose.

Last edited:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Camp Massacre

The Burning 1981
Theburningposter.jpg

I never watched this but it was enjoyable enough. It's really surprising how many people from this low budget film became long time actors. Seeing George Costanza with hair would randomly crack me up throughout the film. The film captured what it's like to be at camp at that age pretty decently. The best scene of the film was the raft scene. Knowing that this was the first film from the scumbag Weinsteins makes sense when you know what horror films they produced in the 90s with Dimension FIlms.

Watchable

Sleepaway Camp 1983
SleepawayCampposter.jpg

Second time watching this, I enjoyed it even more. Two things stood out this watch through for me. The Aunt at the beginning is the creepiest character and I wish she was in the movie more or did a similar character in other movies. The way she talks and acts is not like a human being. She's like a malfunctioned stepford wife. The other best part of the movie is that it's great at capturing the feeling of being at a Sleepaway Camp. The kills are also memorable, especially Judy’s death. The pedo cook also gets it pretty well. The ending shocked me for the first time and this time all I could really do was laugh.

Watch

Sleepaway Camp 2 1988
Sleepaway_Camp_2.jpg

Bruce Springsteen’s sister did a good job playing a cheery killer. The gore has been dialed back in this movie. There's a lot more nudity. I prefer the 1st movie but this one is solid.

Watchable

Sleepaway Camp 3 1989
02msleepawaycamp.jpg

This is a way slower version of the 2nd movie. They should have taken some time instead of doing two at once. If you really enjoyed the second one you might still have fun with this movie. The victims are a lot less fleshed out.

Skippable

Return to Sleepaway Camp 2008
File-ReturnToSleepawayCampPoster.jpg

This movie is god awful. You got the worst main character in horror or any genre that you have to follow. This kid is like Eric Cartman without being funny or interesting. Such a shame he never gets killed. I definitely do not recommend this movie. I was going to watch the F13th series after this film and I didn’t. It pretty much killed my excitement for watching horror films. I hate hate hate hate this movie. I’m sorry but it's terrible. This has to be the first time I’ve ever seen a creator coming back to their horror franchise. Unfortunately he makes the worst movie in the series.

Why did they have to drag Big p*ssy and Isaac Hayes into this:snoop:

Don't ever watch this bullshyt

Last edited:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Miscellaneous Summer Horror Films

Lost Boys 1987

Lost_boys.jpg

Second time watching this, I enjoyed it even more. I didn’t watch this when I was a kid, I think I was a teenager the first time. Someone said that this movie is like theres 4 different movies in one. Corey Heim is in a Goonies movie, the teenager is in a coming of age film, the mom is in a romcom, and the father is in a Rodney Dangerfield old man getting laid comedy. I think that holds true. The teenage son Michael had the best story in the film. The Cry Little Sister song that they played throughout the movie was a banger. I had to run that song back a few times a week since I’ve seen the movie. Joel Schumacher did a great job directing this movie. If only we got this Schumacher to do Batman. I know they’re doing a remake and it's going to be very hard to top this one. I think it's doable if they work at making the other 3 stories in the film beside Micheal’s better. They also can’t match how 80s this movie is.

Watch

Near Dark 1987
Neardarktheatposter.jpg

After Lost Boys I was in the mood for more vampire movies so I watched this. Near Dark is a great movie to watch if you have never seen it. The movie makes it suck to be a vampire. Bill Paxton plays his part in this movie very well.

I think they could remake this film. This might be sacrilegious to a lot of people but I love the concept in this film. Besides being a vampire movie, I think this movie is about love in different stages in a person’s life. Homer the child vampire is about adolescents or young love, Caleb is about teenage love, Bill Patxon’s character is the cynical bachelor that is looking for fun over love, and the older vampires are the old married couple. I think that's a story that is timeless and can be told again in a more fleshed out way. I don’t know how but I feel like they can fix the ending. I don’t think Mae wanted to be cured from being a vampire and didn’t want to spend a life with the boy she had one good night with. I think that is very relatable to a lot of people. Just because you have a good time with someone else and like being with them before knowing them all that well. I have a problem with how Mae’s vampirism is cured. It doesn’t really make sense to me but I go with it because I liked the film. I also think its comical how these guys have been vampires for so long and they are the worst vampires about dodging daylight, the only thing that can kill them. Overall I’d say Kathryn Bigelow did a great job with the film early in her career before she became an Academy Award winning director.

Watch

Devils Rejects 2005
large_fj4rrpUlBpFjPaJecpjID6yqacx.jpg

Near Dark reminded me of this movie. Surprise Suprise ,this is my favorite Rob Zombie movie that I’ve seen. Like Near Dark you follow a band of despicable characters as they travel throughout the South West USA. Also like Near Dark the most malicious member is also the most charismatic, in this movie its Sid Haig as Captain Spaulding. On this viewing I think I noticed that Baby isn’t really as ruthless as her family and is trying to be bad. I don’t know if anyone else feels that way. Ken Foree was good in his role. If there was no IMDB I wouldn’t think this is the same guy that used to get hassled by Keenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell.

I never realized how hyper sexual this movie was. Last time I rewatched this movie was with a girl and she threw me the ass crazy when this movie was on:banderas: I wanted to watch another movie like this one and I kept seeing lists for Sexflix, XXX Adult Films, and etc.

Watch

Wild Things 1998
Wild_things_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

Not really a horror film but I wanted to watch some kind of sexual thriller. I also wanted to watch a movie with Neve Campbell since I saw her in Twisted Metal and I didn’t want to watch the Scream franchise again. The twists and turns in this movie make it a fun ride. Once theres a big reveal the movie turns surreal and feels like a Hitchcock thriller. I forgot what the exact twists were so I wanted to watch it again. I completely forgot BIll Murry was in the movie.

Watch

Cruel Intentions 1999
Cruel_intentions_ver1.jpg

I liked Wild Things so much that I watched this movie. I don’t think it is as fun as Wild Things but still fun. I wasn’t really a fan of Ryan Phillipe in this but some people say he was the best part of the movie. My favorite part in this movie was Sarah Michelle Gellar. I never saw her play a bad person in anything I ever watched her in and she was fun as her character. While not a horror movie I can see how this movie took inspiration from Kevin Williamson’s works in this era.
The breh Sean Patrick Thomas was PAWGing hard in his movies before Barbershop:russ:

Watchable

I Know What You Did Last Summer 1997
I_Know_What_You_Did_Last_Summer.jpg

I think this movie goes together well with watching Cruel Intentions. I haven’t seen this for awhile and forgot how much fun it is. I got some parts of the story wrong in my head because I watched Scary Movie not too long ago. The chase scene with Sarah Michelle Gellar is one of the best chase scenes I’ve ever seen. I feel like this is underrated because Scream is so good.

Watch

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer 1998
I_Still_Know_What_You_Did_Last_Summer.jpg

I didn’t remember this movie at all besides the butter knife joke. You also get some crazy Jeffery Combs in this movie. I didn't enjoy the setting of a secluded Caribbean hotel as much as I did the small fishing town in the 1st movie. The fisherman rigging a Karaoke machine is comical:russ: The most comical point though was the twist with Will Benson, get it BENSON BEN’s SON:snoop: I didn’t know Brandy had all that ass:shaq:

After Return to Sleepaway Camp I didn’t even try to finish the franchise with the third movie. I heard that was crap and I’m staying away

Skippable/Watchable

Last edited:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Random Horror Films

I probably mentioned earlier in this thread about watching these films

Copycat 1995
Copycat_ver1.jpg

When I was watching The Burning I realized I never saw Holly Hunter in anything but Succession. I was only able to tell who she was from her voice, she Mrs. Incredible. This movie takes a lot from Silence of the Lambs. Unfortunately the villains in this movie aren’t as interesting as Hannibal Lector. Sigourney Weaver was good in this movie but I never bought that she was in any real danger. That might just be me because I have a problem seeing certain actors not as who I remember them from as a kid. I watched Aliens so much because I thought when she got into the work loader at the end was the coolest thing.

Skippable

Suspiria 1977
SuspiriaItaly.jpg

Great music and sound, great visuals. The 1st death in this movie is crazy.

Watch

Motel Hell 1980
POSTER_-_MOTEL_HELL.jpg

A Decent enough movie. Rory Calhoun saved this movie and was better than any he had any right to be. If you want to watch a yeah this is an 80s horror movie you’ll be left half full. The funniest shyt in this movie is either the swingers or the girls stopping their car for a roadblock of “cows”.

Watchable if you like 80s horror-comedies

Blood Diner 1987
Blood_Diner_Movie.jpg

This movie is hilarious. If you want a crazy 80s horror-comedy movie this movie is for you.

Watch

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
crush the skull (2015)

horror comedy
re watch

movie holds up surprisingly well
the comedy is hit and miss, but the horror aspect is spot on,

This was really entertaining. A lot of the dialogue gags landed for me, and the horror stuff worked. I like this genre of horror movie where people break into a home and there's something worse lurking in it...seems like we have a decent cluster of these, and a lot of 'em are good: The Collector; Don't Breath; The Owners; Monster Party...all pretty dope.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
This was a weird movie - Perpetrator

This is another one for the "well, I guess it wasn't bad" section; but I'll give it more credit for creativity. It's a coming of age analogy, with a great lead performance and Alicia Silverstone giving some really interesting monologues along the way. But it also feels like there were disagreements about what tone the movie should take. Sometimes it's really dark; other times, it's going for pure humor. That disjointedness goes into some of the events in the story too...things just happen really fast, without feeling earned.

I'm sure there's a lot of symbolic good in there for discerning viewers that take to the lead character. There's an interesting "trait" that I haven't seen in other horrors before. But shyt gets weird and incoherent at times, and the twists didn't work for me. I bet it'll find an audience, but that wasn't me.

I started this and can't even remember if i watched the whole thing to the end. LOL. This seems like a movie that had a good idea, but they needed somebody to clean it up a little and make sense of that idea. Trying not to give away spoilers because i do at least remember the "trait" as you put it.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Deep Sea Creature or Alien

Underwater 2020

Underwater_poster.jpeg

This is Alien underwater. Kristen Stewart was actually good in this. Her character was definitely inspired by Ripley, down to the running around doing her job in her underwear. If you like Alien and didn’t like the newer films I’d recommend watching this. I forgot I hate TJ Miller. Everything I've seen him in would be better without him
I really like this movie. I co-sign this being a really good Alien-style movie with a dose of Lovecraftian Deep Ones as it progresses. I've watched it a few times already.

Supernatural at Sea
Triangle 2009

Triangle_%28Christopher_Smith%29.jpg

I really enjoyed this movie. The biggest twist and shocker to me was that man just watch this yourself if you never watched it. It doesn’t have the best gore or scaress but if you pay attention you’ll enjoy the work that went into this one.

Watch really liked it, didn't spoil it on purpose.
Another one that I really like, and also a movie I heard about from this thread first. It's really a "watch it knowing as little as possible" film, so I won't add anything except that she bodied the lead role. Her performance really sales all the madness and helps the twists land!