Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I may miss a lot of these
Flying back in from Vacation on 10/01
on call the weekends and following weeks of 10/06 and 10/20, so i probably want be able to join in much this year
And there is a comicon between that

but I offer up

High tension (2003)

Its on Tubi, Pluto on demand and amazon prime

High Tension was my first experience of the New French Extremity wave. It scared the hell out of me when I was younger, I wasn't ready! That's a great addition. Also, don't worry about missing a few, a bunch, or whatever. Participate when you can. This is all just fun for the Horror Thread regulars and any newcomers.

1. Trick r' Treat (Amazon Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Amazon Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Amazon Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Amazon Prime)
7. *Choose your own*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Amazon Prime)
14. *Choose your own*
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Amazon Prime)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Amazon Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
28. *Choose your own*
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

Last edited:

Realm-Breaker

Sometimes known as Were-Breaker/Cunning Linguist
Daps
Reppin
Realm far from here
Drag me to hell somewhere on this please! 😸
High Tension was my first experience of the New French Extremity wave. It scared the hell out of me when I was younger, I wasn't ready! That's a great addition. Also, don't worry about missing a few, a bunch, or whatever. Participate when you can. This is all just fun for the Horror Thread regulars and any newcomers.
4. Possessor (Hulu)
7. *Choose your own*
14. *Choose your own*
21. *Choose your own*
28. *Choose your own*

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Drag me to hell somewhere on this please! 😸
Sam Raimi HAS to get a spot on any October list. I haven't revisited Drag me to hell in a long time, so I'm kinda hype to jump back in. Plus, it makes a bit of a funny food connection out of the first two movies for week 2 (cannibal holocaust and Drag me to hell...maybe we should slip a Texas Chainsaw Massacre in there :mjlol:)

4. Possessor (Hulu)
7. *Choose your own*
9. Drag Me to Hell (Amazon)
14. *Choose your own*
21. *Choose your own*
28. *Choose your own*

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
This was a weird movie - Perpetrator

Jonny Baptiste is a reckless teen sent to live with her estranged Aunt Hildie. On the event of her 18th birthday, she experiences a radical metamorphosis: a family spell that redefines her called Forevering. When several teen girls go missing at her new school, a mythically feral Jonny goes after the Perpetrator.

This is another one for the "well, I guess it wasn't bad" section; but I'll give it more credit for creativity. It's a coming of age analogy, with a great lead performance and Alicia Silverstone giving some really interesting monologues along the way. But it also feels like there were disagreements about what tone the movie should take. Sometimes it's really dark; other times, it's going for pure humor. That disjointedness goes into some of the events in the story too...things just happen really fast, without feeling earned.

I'm sure there's a lot of symbolic good in there for discerning viewers that take to the lead character. There's an interesting "trait" that I haven't seen in other horrors before. But shyt gets weird and incoherent at times, and the twists didn't work for me. I bet it'll find an audience, but that wasn't me.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
This was a weird movie - Perpetrator

This is another one for the "well, I guess it wasn't bad" section; but I'll give it more credit for creativity. It's a coming of age analogy, with a great lead performance and Alicia Silverstone giving some really interesting monologues along the way. But it also feels like there were disagreements about what tone the movie should take. Sometimes it's really dark; other times, it's going for pure humor. That disjointedness goes into some of the events in the story too...things just happen really fast, without feeling earned.

I'm sure there's a lot of symbolic good in there for discerning viewers that take to the lead character. There's an interesting "trait" that I haven't seen in other horrors before. But shyt gets weird and incoherent at times, and the twists didn't work for me. I bet it'll find an audience, but that wasn't me.

I like Perpetrator but I agree with your points about the tone being uneven (I hate when a horror-comedy can't find the right balance of funny to scary) and the disjointedness of the story which I felt was really evident in the stuff with her mom.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Sam Raimi HAS to get a spot on any October list. I haven't revisited Drag me to hell in a long time, so I'm kinda hype to jump back in. Plus, it makes a bit of a funny food connection out of the first two movies for week 2 (cannibal holocaust and Drag me to hell...maybe we should slip a Texas Chainsaw Massacre in there :mjlol:)
Dario Argento's Deep Red...I think its still on Shudder and available for free on Plex, Vudu and Pluto.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I like Perpetrator but I agree with your points about the tone being uneven (I hate when a horror-comedy can't find the right balance of funny to scary) and the disjointedness of the story which I felt was really evident in the stuff with her mom.
Yeah, the mom felt like such a waste of potential as a character. I wonder if there's a director's cut that fills in a few of the blanks but makes the movie longer than producers wanted. I want to check for Jennifer Reeder's past work now. I'll take flawed films with clear and unique POVs any chance I can get!

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Dario Argento's Deep Red...I think its still on Shudder and available for free on Plex, Vudu and Pluto.
Hell yeah, an Argento classic that I haven't seen. I think it was @The Collector that mentioned doing an Argento binge soon. Considering my appreciation for Suspiria, I should probably do the same.

4. Possessor (Hulu)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)
7. *Choose your own*
9. Drag Me to Hell (Amazon)
14. *Choose your own*
21. *Choose your own*
28. *Choose your own*

List already has a good amount of variety as it's coming together. Keep giving me suggestions everyone.