Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
and..............................its about that time of year again.
what we got lined up for the Halloween Season?
We haven’t done a group 30 days of Halloween in a while. The past few years, everyone’s made their own. But years ago, we took turns picking movies for a shared list that everyone in the horror thread tried to keep up with.

That could be fun bc we can all discuss the movies as a squad, and putting together the list was half the fun

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I’m making a shudder run. Just checking some of the new drops. I’ll have some mini-thoughts to drop. Some good drops this month:
Autopsy of Jane Doe
The Hallow
The Vigil
The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster

Season 1 of the Terror was cool too, based on a true expedition where no one survived but the stuff left behind told a messed up tale.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
These are all available on Shudder, so I spent the week running through 'em. Three movies that are all in the "not bad" to "pretty good" range, but no home runs. After trying to find anything solid on Tubi, they were honestly refreshing.

Elizabeth Harvest:
An extremely wealthy, and brilliant scientist, has the nasty habit of brutally killing his wife, cloning her, marring her again, and then repeating the process.

Quick thoughts:
Talk about a mindfukk. This movie is trippy as hell, and very disorienting. But that seems to be on purpose, since the MC keeps dying and being cloned. It's a twisted story, but not the most coherent at times. It wasn't bad...worth a watch if you're into sci-fi horror.

Bad Things:

A group of friends go to a hotel for a weekend getaway and soon discover that women do bad things here.

Quick Thoughts:
This one's blatantly inspired by the Shining, but not close to the same quality. It has trippy hallucinatory ghost exchanges, and uses the hallway pans really well. But the actual plot is pretty weak because I couldn't find a likeable character in the bunch. It throws in some "who's gonna snap and start bodying people" followed by a "which one is snapped?" element. But by that same virtue, you can pretty much see everywhere it's heading, which hurts when they go for a slow burn horror.

The last half-hour is a pretty dope payoff, but the hour we spend to get there drags.

Paul Dood's Deadly Lunch Break:
A weedy charity-shop worker is set on winning the big national talent show. But when the actions of 5 selfish people cause him to miss his audition, he sets out to seek deathly revenge. It's 1 lunch break, 5 spectacular murders.

Quick Thoughts:
This is a middling horror comedy, that mixes cringe with dry humor. Sometimes that hits for some really funny moments, but others it's corny. The comedy is the big focal point, with the entire first half feeling like a poor man's Pee Wee's Big Adventure gone awry. But the revenge half did make me laugh as the kills got increasingly over the top. I thought I'd hate it after the first fifteen minutes, but I didn't hate it...weakest of the three, by virtue of having no actual horror. But it's not as bad as the Tubi dumpster diving I've been doing (with movies that I either can't finish or just don't think warrant a mention in the thread).

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Watching The Mist. First time since I saw it in the theater. Forgot how gory it is. :damn:

One of the craziest endings ever, and I don’t know if any American film has topped it since.

Always surprising to see actors in a film before they became well known. the captain from Brooklyn 99 and Carol and Laurie Holden (forgot her character name) from Walking Dead.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
We haven’t done a group 30 days of Halloween in a while. The past few years, everyone’s made their own. But years ago, we took turns picking movies for a shared list that everyone in the horror thread tried to keep up with.

That could be fun bc we can all discuss the movies as a squad, and putting together the list was half the fun

I see some daps for this post. Would yall want to rock with this Shared 30 days to Halloween creation and watch?

Basically, we get a list like this:
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween

- Any poster can hop in and add a movie to any spot in the list.
- Copy and Paste the list with your movie in whatever section you want. If possible, throw in the streaming services or channels that have it available.
- 1 movie per post, and you should wait for at least a few other posters to place a movie before posting again (for sake of variety and to get more folks involved).
- As long as it's horror, it can rock. Pick classics, hidden gems, recent hits, or anything else...just make sure it fits the horror genre.

Lemme know what yall think. I make a list every year regardless, but the shared list was fun last time we put it together (I'm pretty sure it's how I first saw Exorcist 3 which is now a personal favorite).

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
I'm a sucker for low budget bigfoot horror
this popped up on my plex share and i gave it a spin
not the best, but not the worst i have seen, decent pace , nice twist, not bloody though
the acting surprised me

The bigfoot trap (2023)

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
30 Days of Halloween idea sounds great, @storyteller . I'll try to jump in when I can. I'll toss out 2 recommendations later.
Word, I appreciate it. It only takes a handful of heads and the list can really pop. It was like 4 or 5 of us that made the last one really go (and the others don't post as often in the thread these days, so this list should be fresh).

One thing I'll do, is add a weekly *wild* which is "pick your own" option. I figure that'll give anyone that wants to participate some added freedom and also give space for people to add new movies that drop during October. So I'll start with one flick and the *wilds*

So everyone feel free to quote this and add on. The more heads adding picks, the better.
4. Possessor (Hulu)
7. *Wild Card*
14. *Wild Card*
21. *Wild Card*
28. *Wild Card*
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)