Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
That bold really nails down what made Suspiria so memorable for me. The entire movie is like a trip into the uncanny valley or an extended dream (actually, there's a similar vibe in the dream sequence in Exorcist 3 IMO). The visuals, the way people behave, even the cuts and transitions have a "something's not quite right" element to them. It's my favorite giallo film (though that's not my favorite genre admittedly).

Ironically, the comparison with the newer version just made me thing that I owe that new one a second watch. I remember the movie for it's most visceral moments with the witches and of course "that" dance sequence (you know the one). But I hadn't been pressed to go back and rewatch because I thought it dragged in some sections...and now that you mention it, I think that's where the "filling in things that didn't need to be filled in" element comes in.

I'm definitely gonna go back and watch that new version again.

Speaking of Giallo, it's far from his best work but Dario Argento directed his first new movie in something like a decade last year. It's called Dark Glasses and I think it's on Shudder. I thought it was alright, but very mid (well below the standard of his classics). But it's short enough and solid enough that it makes a fun watch as a modern effort from an ATG horror auteur.

Added it to the list.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
carnifex (2022)

TUBI (yes, that TUBI) Aussie Horror flick

its actually............good
decent gore , good actors , well paced , beautifully filmed
good jump scares

i mean it doesn't add anything to the trapped in the woods with unknown monster , stalking and killing everyone genre,
but for whatever it does, it does it well

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
@Duke Dixon @storyteller

I remember watching Suspiria ‘18 in the theater with like four other people in there. Amazon Studios produced it and the film only had like a two week screening window. I know exactly how you feel Duke when it came to that sequence in the final act though. At the time, I didn’t know whether to applaud it for how ‘out there’ it got or roll my eyes at it altogether. Think I’m leaning towards the latter these days, lol. Film had great practical effects earlier on and I was disappointed by how much they dropped the ball with the CGI there.

Despite the flaws, I have so much love for this film though. From time to time, I see people criticize it for biting Argento’s, saying how it’ll just never compare to the OG, and I’m over here like:

okay-waka-flocka.gif

They’re two projects wildly different in what they’re trying to accomplish. 2018 does its own thing, it’s definitely not a straight scene-for-scene remake like Gus Van Saint’s Psycho. Mood is brooding and its drabbed out colors are the opposite of Argento’s vibrant display. I actually like the way it incorporated the witches’ lore better than ‘77. As a Radiohead fan, it’s known they make weird music more often than not. What Thom Yorke cooked up in the score though was unlike anything I’ve heard before. I play it back from time to time on Spotify and it feels like….witch spells in music form. Call me crazy but he should’ve been nominated for an Oscar.

I can’t blame others for thinking it drags though. It definitely has its lulls. I also don’t know why they had Tilda Swinton portray an old man (who was clearly just Tilda Swinton under half-baked makeup) — stuff like that just comes across as bizarre to me. But scenes like Olga in the mirror room and the nightmarish ‘Volk’ dance made up for the other flaws to me. The way the coven operated was also just pretty damn creepy. I hope for whoever pays it another watch can come out appreciating it more than before.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Freaky's pretty good (not great, but worth a watch). It's Freaky Friday the 13th aka a bodyswap movie where the final girl and the slasher swap bodies. It wound up having some really good kills and a solid sense of humor. I think this is a promising pick to helm the Scream Franchise and hopefully move it in a different direction from the approach of the past two.

I think Radio Silence did well to introduce these new characters, but they had missteps in Scream 6 that only got exacerbated by Ghostface in Toronto (I'll forever maintain that the city never felt like NYC for me).
Unpopular opinion but Landon would be GOATED to me if he killed off the “Core 4” in the next film’s opening.

Plus, its never been done before in the franchise. :mjlit: Don’t ask me what the plan is afterwards though.:hubie:

I just wanna see this happen. :mjlit:

Daps
Reppin
Canada
Unpopular opinion but Landon would be GOATED to me if he killed off the “Core 4” in the next film’s opening.

Plus, its never been done before in the franchise. :mjlit: Don’t ask me what the plan is afterwards though.:hubie:

Would be a hell of a switchup from Radio Silence making everyone unkillable in Scream VI :leon:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
@Lootpack

Yea it was a great remake. I hate remakes that follow the og like you said Psycho or ones that do things worse like Nightmare on Elm Street.

I did enjoy the witches in the remake. I couldn't tell it was Tilda. Tilda also played the old witch at the end.

They better not kill Sam :ufdup:

I would die laughing though if one of them dies in an anticlimactic way. Something like Jenna Ortega falls down while running and scrapes her knee and later in the movie she dies from an infection because she never properly cleaned her wound. People would be pissed but I'd laugh my ass off.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I'd love for them to do some craziness like that. Anything to make the movie stop relying so heavily on Scooby Gang vibes. At this stage, I think they should go the Chucky route and just take it to an extreme.

- Give us a whole Ghostface cult vs a Core 4 that's had way too much practice killing Ghostfaces to lose to one or two guys in masks.

- Go full-blown anti-hero Ghostface, with Sam and Tara bodying some stalkers.

- Or just let Ghostface win some one-on-one's with core members. Sam dies in the opening scene, Chad gets got next, and now it's the two physically weakest characters vs a Ghostface that hasn't let anyone escape during the run-time.

It might piss off the Scream hardcore fans, but I think the "whodunnit" stuff is holding that franchise back at this point. They HAVE to introduce a bunch of characters because you need new suspects and victims. But the OG Screams delivered because of social commentary more than the "it's a mystery" stuff imo.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I got tomorrow off and all the Nightmare on Elm Streets are on MAX

fukk it :wow:

Speaking of which:

Apparently, this has legs. The Craven estate had been hearing pitches for the franchise a while back and the rumors are that something will come to fruition fast. With the way some of these requels (Scream, Halloween, and maybe Exorcist next) have seen success, it makes sense that more of this would happen.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Would be a hell of a switchup from Radio Silence making everyone unkillable in Scream VI :leon:
@Lootpack

Yea it was a great remake. I hate remakes that follow the og like you said Psycho or ones that do things worse like Nightmare on Elm Street.

I did enjoy the witches in the remake. I couldn't tell it was Tilda. Tilda also played the old witch at the end.

They better not kill Sam :ufdup:

I would die laughing though if one of them dies in an anticlimactic way. Something like Jenna Ortega falls down while running and scrapes her knee and later in the movie she dies from an infection because she never properly cleaned her wound. People would be pissed but I'd laugh my ass off.
I'd love for them to do some craziness like that. Anything to make the movie stop relying so heavily on Scooby Gang vibes. At this stage, I think they should go the Chucky route and just take it to an extreme.

- Give us a whole Ghostface cult vs a Core 4 that's had way too much practice killing Ghostfaces to lose to one or two guys in masks.

- Go full-blown anti-hero Ghostface, with Sam and Tara bodying some stalkers.

- Or just let Ghostface win some one-on-one's with core members. Sam dies in the opening scene, Chad gets got next, and now it's the two physically weakest characters vs a Ghostface that hasn't let anyone escape during the run-time.

It might piss off the Scream hardcore fans, but I think the "whodunnit" stuff is holding that franchise back at this point. They HAVE to introduce a bunch of characters because you need new suspects and victims. But the OG Screams delivered because of social commentary more than the "it's a mystery" stuff imo.
Felt kinda betrayed by that last act. I don’t know how Radio Silence could go from killing off a beloved character in Dewey to forcing that “Core 4” shyt down people’s throats. If I was the director, I’m killing these guys off no hesitation.

“Nah, you didn’t get it. They talked all about how there are new rules in this entry and subverted everybody’s expectations by keeping the main four alive this time.” :damn:

The OG trio made it out alive in not one, not two, not three, but four films. Exactly what envelope are we pushing here by going back to square one?:unimpressed:

Hilariously forced. Perhaps the next Ghostface killer(s) can talk about such in their final act monologues.