Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Scream 6 KirBYE fans about to be upset at this latest news

:lupe:

“Scream fans fear that Hayden Panettiere’s character will be killed off in new film”

:rip:

hayden-panettiere-bring-it-on.gif

:mjlol:

Fan speculation isn't news and the folks behind Scream 5 played all the nerds for over 2 years by feeding them bullshyt scoops.
At this point we don't know anything about Scream 6 besides who will be in it.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Looks like Unhuman and dashcam are the moves this weekend. Are they streaming anywhere or just VOD?

Seeing Men tonight too. I don’t recall seeing anyone say anything about it in the last few pages. Anyone seen it yet?
I saw it:
I liked Men (Jessie Buckley and Rory Kinnear were both amazing) and understood the deeper meaning of what the film was trying to convey but gotdam was this movie bizarre as hell.
I don't know what drugs Alex Garland was doing when he came up with this idea but it must have been some good shyt.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I liked Dashcam with one really big issue.

I was fine with the lead character being a completely unlikable a$$hole but that was only when it seemed like she was going to get her comeuppance at the end of the film but they made a total dikkhead into a Final Girl and I considered it a bizarre choice until I found out that Annie Hardy is an actual real live person who has an actual real world show where she spews her bullshyt MAGA opinions and I'm not sure if Rob Savage didn't feel comfortable brutally murdering a real person on film or if Savage has the same opinions as Annie and wanted to use this movie to push her message.
Regardless of the reasoning it was an unforced error that marred my enjoyment of a film I was liking until the ending.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
A Town Full of Ghosts

Mark and his wife Jenna sell everything they have to purchase a western ghost town called Blackwood Falls in the middle of nowhere. They plan to turn the ghost town into a tourist attraction with hotels, restaurants, and attractions. They hire a small film crew to document their journey and upload the videos to their video channel.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Family Dinner

Overweight and insecure, Simi spends Easter weekend with her famous nutritionist aunt. The hope is that it’ll help her get on a healthier track, but as the aunt’s family’s icy dynamics and an increasingly malevolent atmosphere leave Simi feeling uneasy, weight isn’t the only thing she’s about to lose.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
A Town Full of Ghosts

Mark and his wife Jenna sell everything they have to purchase a western ghost town called Blackwood Falls in the middle of nowhere. They plan to turn the ghost town into a tourist attraction with hotels, restaurants, and attractions. They hire a small film crew to document their journey and upload the videos to their video channel.

Added to the list. I'm a sucker for found footage

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Dashcam was weird for me. They purposely gave us a very obnoxious lead character and put her through hell. But that means throughout the intro and in-between scares, you're stuck with a stereotype of a viral MAGA Karen and her edgelord chat. Like a few (albeit brief) sections of this movie have virtually nothing happening visually but the chat encouraging trash behavior or being hateful in any number of ways.

That's a double-edged sword because the scares are good. I mean, really good. There's genuine grossout stuff, some tension builders, strong visuals, and a couple of solid jump scares (the good type where it's not over-relied on). It's got a good pace (for the most part), some surprises along the way, and the horror elements were pretty effective. There's also a lot of cool allegories built into the scares. I think there was an effort to build a message into the scares...but a late-game story choice made me second-guess my conclusion.

So it's got a hateable lead, but fantastic scares. The plot is usually the tie-breaker, but this one is...it's just a driving device (wordplay) for the most part. We get a semblance of a backstory, but none of it is enough to piece together. I'd liken this story quality to most of the VHS segments, just extended out to feature length.

But scary matters and there are a few scares that make me think this might have more layers on a second watch. The problem is, the lead character is SO obnoxious that I'm not particularly interested in jumping back in. The scares were super good and the horror-buff in me wants to watch those back, but I don't know if I've got that kinda patience for such an annoying lead. I don't need the catharsis of watching her suffer through scares, I'd be more effected if I empathized with the lead more.

Anyway: Quick Spoiler theory of mine. If yall watched, lemme know if you got a similar take
A handful of the scares/moments seem to embody COVID symptoms. It opens with COVID stomach, she almost suffocates in a fire, she almost drowns in the car, and you could probably make a case that the 16 yr old looking old is a play on long-covid being life long...but then we might also look at the stapled shut mouth hidden under a mask as some kinda message about cancel culture considering the MAGA lead. So the message feels hella muddled since the Karen survived.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

parasite eve
Japanese scifi horror story driven, but its good
same universe as the video games

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Dashcam was weird for me. They purposely gave us a very obnoxious lead character and put her through hell. But that means throughout the intro and in-between scares, you're stuck with a stereotype of a viral MAGA Karen and her edgelord chat. Like a few (albeit brief) sections of this movie have virtually nothing happening visually but the chat encouraging trash behavior or being hateful in any number of ways.

That's a double-edged sword because the scares are good. I mean, really good. There's genuine grossout stuff, some tension builders, strong visuals, and a couple of solid jump scares (the good type where it's not over-relied on). It's got a good pace (for the most part), some surprises along the way, and the horror elements were pretty effective. There's also a lot of cool allegories built into the scares. I think there was an effort to build a message into the scares...but a late-game story choice made me second-guess my conclusion.

So it's got a hateable lead, but fantastic scares. The plot is usually the tie-breaker, but this one is...it's just a driving device (wordplay) for the most part. We get a semblance of a backstory, but none of it is enough to piece together. I'd liken this story quality to most of the VHS segments, just extended out to feature length.

But scary matters and there are a few scares that make me think this might have more layers on a second watch. The problem is, the lead character is SO obnoxious that I'm not particularly interested in jumping back in. The scares were super good and the horror-buff in me wants to watch those back, but I don't know if I've got that kinda patience for such an annoying lead. I don't need the catharsis of watching her suffer through scares, I'd be more effected if I empathized with the lead more.

Anyway: Quick Spoiler theory of mine. If yall watched, lemme know if you got a similar take
A handful of the scares/moments seem to embody COVID symptoms. It opens with COVID stomach, she almost suffocates in a fire, she almost drowns in the car, and you could probably make a case that the 16 yr old looking old is a play on long-covid being life long...but then we might also look at the stapled shut mouth hidden under a mask as some kinda message about cancel culture considering the MAGA lead. So the message feels hella muddled since the Karen survived.
I didn't have a similar take as yours but it is interesting to think about.