Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Alright that new Paranormal Activity on Prime was pretty dope. I loved it, much different than the others.

anyone seen it???

edit: everyone hates everything it seems, yall wanted the same old camera set up in house formula? :mjlol::mjlol:
I didn’t like it. I wrote a whole thing on Bloody Disgusting about why tho so please check it out lol. Glad you fukked with it tho

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Good read and spot on about Next of Kin.

They treated this like it was the pilot for a TV show except we aren't getting the next episode in a week.
If they wanted to do all this world building then be economical with it and limit it to the first 30 minutes...then have all the action from the film's ending play out and then continue on with the demonic Amish kid rampaging after the main woman and her boyfriend.

That would've been a complete film instead of this tedious mess they presented with the presumptive idea that making an incomplete first film doesn't matter because they have a franchise in mind and all the action is still coming in future movies.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Good read and spot on about Next of Kin.

They treated this like it was the pilot for a TV show except we aren't getting the next episode in a week.
If they wanted to do all this world building then be economical with it and limit it to the first 30 minutes...then have all the action from the film's ending play out and then continue on with the demonic Amish kid rampaging after the main woman and her boyfriend.

That would've been a complete film instead of this tedious mess they presented with the presumptive idea that making an incomplete first film doesn't matter because they have a franchise in mind and all the action is still coming in future movies.
Bingo was his fukking name o. That’s damn near insulting to the audience to just assume they’ll like whatever you do and automatically want seconds. Doing so much planning ahead that you don’t plan for what’s in front of you.

the fact most of the scares in this movie aren’t even real scares but cheap scares from the farm people? Or that the only real paranormal scene is short and then the other is after the shyt is over? Boooooo

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Am I the only one who hates when someone asks “is it scary?”

I don't mind it, but I don't think the answer means much with regards to the quality of a horror because a) scary is subjective and b) there are some great horror movies that I'd talk about the narrative, the emotions, or the feelings they created where how scary the films are barely matters.

edit: I also think "scary" comes in different shapes and forms, some more fun than others.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't mind it, but I don't think the answer means much with regards to the quality of a horror because a) scary is subjective and b) there are some great horror movies that I'd talk about the narrative, the emotions, or the feelings they created where how scary the films are barely matters.

edit: I also think "scary" comes in different shapes and forms, some more fun than others.
Your last thing is why I hate it. I have a friend who asks me that as if it’s an objective question lol. All the time. I hate it with a passion. It’s the wrong question to ask for a horror movie and acts like what scares one person scares another person all the time.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I really don't like when someone asks me that mostly because what I consider scary and what others consider scary can be entirely different things.

I usually just say it's a horror movie so gird your loins appropriately.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
omg. No, you are not the only one. I'm not that much of an easily annoyed person but that is one of "those" types of questions that will provoke a certain rage.
Dumbest question ever, agreed. Not everyone's fear factor or scare factor is the same measure as someone else.
I can INSTANTLY tell a non-horror genre watcher off that question alone.
Like there's different levels of "scare" for that to be the sole defining method of engagement. We can't rate psychological scares and "jump" scares under the same umbrella.

(My mom and I have a few friends that do this alllll the time, (that is when I was at the age and tolerance level to take her or their questions about horror movies seriously) Knowing she hates horror movies and will still ask me - I'm like don't even watch it, all she's going to do is get up and leave after the first "scary" scene, it could be a leaf blowing in the wind with a horror music score in the background and she will spazz. Now anyone who asks me that question, my only reply is to blankly stare at them. They get the point - It's rude but it is what it is.)

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
omg. No, you are not the only one. I'm not that much of an easily annoyed person but that is one of "those" types of questions that will provoke a certain rage.
Dumbest question ever, agreed. Not everyone's fear factor or scare factor is the same measure as someone else.
I can INSTANTLY tell a non-horror genre watcher off that question alone.
Like there's different levels of "scare" for that to be the sole defining method of engagement. We can't rate psychological scares and "jump" scares under the same umbrella.

(My mom and I have a few friends that do this alllll the time, (that is when I was at the age and tolerance level to take her or their questions about horror movies seriously) Knowing she hates horror movies and will still ask me - I'm like don't even watch it, all she's going to do is get up and leave after the first "scary" scene, it could be a leaf blowing in the wind with a horror music score in the background and she will spazz. Now anyone who asks me that question, my only reply is to blankly stare at them. They get the point - It's rude but it is what it is.)
I have a friend who does it all the time. And every single time I tell him it’s subjective. Yet he doesn’t listen :russ:

Whereas my other two friends who really love horror? Never ever comes out of their mouths. You’re right you can definitely tell who is who based on that

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your last thing is why I hate it. I have a friend who asks me that as if it’s an objective question lol. All the time. I hate it with a passion. It’s the wrong question to ask for a horror movie and acts like what scares one person scares another person all the time.
This is FACTS.

I put that in the same category as people who feel they can "judge" or make assumptions of people based on their "like" of horror movies. The "how can you watch movies that are so scary?" type people and the "why do you watch such scary movies?" types.

The set of people that are repelled by the fact that you watch horror movies - like they judge your soul, decision making, life skills and the sum total of your personality by horror movies.
:mjlol::deadrose:

They need to calm down - it's not that serious. But the same people will take offense if you don't sit there and watch reality tv or a 10 hour marathon of House Hunters, Fix My House, Fix My Life, Real Housewives of Wyoming or stream an entire series Dance Dance Revolution for America's Most Talented Pop Star with them.
:mindblown::dahell:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Scary is subjective.
Movies have different classifications and metrics to what would count as scary as opposed to being a thriller. Like the discussion that we had in the past on this thread.
Based on the premise of the movie alone "Jaws" won't get the same reaction from me as it would from someone who watched it back in the 70s who was old enough to see it when it was originally released in movies. We're all supposed to be afraid of sharks in water because they can kill us. Back then, from what I read, people where going crazy about that movie. I thought that movie was mid.

But "Crawl" - that was tension and scare. The idea of the fact that you're already dealing with a weather related disaster and crocodiles, predator sea creatures, you're trying to escape from flood waters AND sea surges. You're trying to out maneuver all of these events at one time. That's insane levels of "scary" . Being stranded at sea, miles away from land or even worse, stranded at sea and you can see the land but it's too far off in the distance. I forgot the name of that one movie, I think it was The Reef. Basically, they think they can swim the course to safety but under-estimate their ABILITY or endurance to swim - whereas the real battle is not only the physical barriers also being in conflict with their mind.

That's why there's no one catch all description of what "scary" is.

Movies that effectively combine all the elements of what's scares you as an individual can't be applied to everyone else.

Last edited: