Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Think that what makes Asian horror scary is that some of them are inspired from true events.

My first Asian horror was One Missed Call. Had me shook for days.
I think my first Asian horror was “Shutter” followed by The Grudge, Ju-on .

And last year I watched the Ju On series on Netflix .

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
V/H/S 94 was a definite step-up over Viral, not that it would take much, but other than that….not even touching the first two for me. Exaggerated monsters seems to be the theme and it works in every story here.

Segments that stood out to me: Raatma, Empty Wake, and The Subject. Indonesia coming through with another one. The Subject definitely dragged at times, but it did make me want to fire up my XSX and play an old school FPS. :ohlawd:

Really dug the tension and body horror in those first two segments. I loved the setting of the wraparound, was genuinely creeped out at times, but its execution in the final act felt pretty weak compared to the first two entries. I still think V/H/S 2 has the best wraparound ending, and the first entry’s setting was the creepiest to me. I can see 94 disappointing folks yet at the very least it’s a respectable entry unlike Viral.

Hail Raatma :demonic:

Last edited:

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare sucked mice balls :huhldup:

giphy.gif
075776cf2a7ad6608c0db9fdb36ff9ce.gif

BlaqkSpliffin

Ni**as Still Weird - Me
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I spent the last 3 days watching Haunted House and Ghost films.

First up was the OG House on Haunted Hill. First time watching and I'll say this....the performances were great. Very little genuine scares for me but it's kinda creepy and as a movie it's enjoyable. I like the style of those older horror movies. Wouldn't mind seeing a newer movie shot similarly.

Next up I watched all 3 movies in the Hell House LLC series. Hell House LLC was solid, I actually think I prefer the 2nd one and the 3rd one was pretty good to me until the last 10 minutes. shyt went from aight to very fukking stupid. I get what they were trying to do and I like how they interconnect but shyt was just kinda absurd. Those clowns and that little girl caught me slipping a few times tho:wow:

From there I watched this movie called Aftermath. This might not be everyones cup of tea but I thought this shyt was fire lmao. It's a little all over the place but imo that's what keeps you on the edge of your seat. Just when you think you know what's going on the movie throws some crazy shyt from left field. The acting was cool and while some of the shyt was contrived and formulaic I still had a good time watching it. Would definitely watch again.

Next was The Others. I've seen it parodied and I've seen some of the classic scenes but I've never seen it in totality. The twist was great and the acting was top notch. Nicole Kidman was awesome. Them little kids was creepy as fukk too. Creepy at times but mores just a good ass ghost story with drama.

Moving on we have Crimson Peak. Guillermo Del Toro is basically Rated R Tim Burton at this point and I'm okay with it. This movie was sufficiently creepy and also kinda haunting. The story was great, cast was EXCELLENT. Jessica Chastain is just so good man. They had Jax from SOA pop up outta nowhere:mjlol:

Another one of those horror movies that's more of a drama at the end then a genuine horror film but I'm not too mad about it. My nikka Bobby deserved better:francis:

And last but not least I watched The Canal. Now of all the movies I watched over the last couple days this might be my favorite. Man thinks wife is having an affair and then starts seeing things after he finds out his house has a dark history. There's a fairly decent amount of twists in this movie and it's also just kind of a heartbreaking type of horror movie where you really feel for the protagonist cause he's really losing it but the only thing holding him together is his love for his son which is also the catalyst for all his actions. The last 10 minutes are a trip cause I legit went from :dwillhuh::ld: to :merchant:. This is gonna be up there with my favorite psychological horror movies for awhile.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
VHS '94 was a blast for me. I LOVE the first two films and I've even got a soft-spot for Viral (the skateboarder story is hilarious). The problem with VHS has been that it's declined with each installment. VHS 1 >>> VHS 2 >>>>>> VHS Viral
But '94 hangs with the first two for it's first few stories before losing a bit of steam. Everything after the first one has moved toward a bit more campy vibes and even the first one was a bit schlocky just by the aesthetic the movies go for.

A key going into this is that it's camp. The writers are having fun and experimenting just as much as the effects people. That leads to some weird and ridiculous plotting but that's also half the fun.

Anyway, '94 has a dope balance imo. The stories mostly start off creepy and scary before going for broke on the effects and insanity to close each one (the exception here is "The Subject" which is bonkers pretty much all the way through). Storm Drain has campy character logic, but genuinely builds tension in the early going as a news reporter and her cameraman search some tunnels for an Urban Legend called "Ratman." It goes more toward over-the-top humor when we get to the big reveals and action but that part had a wild character design and I laughed at the close-out.

Next up is The Empty Wake, where a woman has to sit in on a Wake that nobody comes to visit during a massive storm...and also the closed casket might be making noises. This one genuinely gave me some goosebumps in its build-up. The first person POV makes simple scenes, like finding candles when the power goes out, feel more nerve-wracking. The creep factor is great all the way through and the finale has a really dope make-up and effects action going on...but that finale also goes gangbusters and ruins the creepy aspect a bit.

Then we get The Subject, which is my favorite of the bunch. A doctor has been kidnapping people and turning them into "neo humans" with robotic additions that are horrifying to see. Just as his Frankensteins come to life, a swat team arrives and it becomes more action than horror...but it's the same campy fun as Malignant's precinct scene without the big budget. The director for this one also made Safe Haven which I think is the best plot from any VHS film. Dude goes for it with his stories and they're always fun.

Terror is next and it's basically some white supremacists trying to weaponize a monster only for things to go awry...that's more fun on paper than it was entertaining in practice. It's gratifying to see the comeuppance, but the humor and fun of the other plots loses a bit with these hateful cats as such a focal point. This one's not bad, but not great...

Then we get Holy Hell the conclusion of the wrap around (the bit between each story that tries to connect them all). It's easily the weakest wrap around of any VHS film and the weakest bit of this movie. It's rushed between the other subplots and then tries to pack a lot into the end which makes it feel more tacked on than meaningfully connected to anything.

I think I'd rate the Subject in the top 5 or 6 sequences of any VHS movie...maybe higher but I've gotta think it through. The Empty Wake and Storm Drain would also rate among the sequences I liked from VHS 1 and 2 (and the skateboarder joint from Viral). Terror and Holy Hell would fall near the bottom though and that's what drags '94 away from being right in the running with the first two installments. I really had fun with it though!

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
October 7th: There's Someone Inside Your House
2t3wA0t.jpg

The first kill pulled me in and the second kill had me on the edge of my seat...but by the third kill I had figured out who the killer was and lost all my mojo for There's Someone Inside Your House.
Props to the creators for trying to mix social awareness with teen slasher hijinks but once you realize where the story is going and just how ridiculous it all is, the journey to the end becomes a bit of a chore and ultimately disappoints.
Plus the majority of these kids were awful so there wasn't much rooting value to be found.

I give There's Someone Inside Your House 2 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'
fCr4HMr.png

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
VHS '94 was a blast for me. I LOVE the first two films and I've even got a soft-spot for Viral (the skateboarder story is hilarious). The problem with VHS has been that it's declined with each installment. VHS 1 >>> VHS 2 >>>>>> VHS Viral
But '94 hangs with the first two for it's first few stories before losing a bit of steam. Everything after the first one has moved toward a bit more campy vibes and even the first one was a bit schlocky just by the aesthetic the movies go for.

A key going into this is that it's camp. The writers are having fun and experimenting just as much as the effects people. That leads to some weird and ridiculous plotting but that's also half the fun.

Anyway, '94 has a dope balance imo. The stories mostly start off creepy and scary before going for broke on the effects and insanity to close each one (the exception here is "The Subject" which is bonkers pretty much all the way through). Storm Drain has campy character logic, but genuinely builds tension in the early going as a news reporter and her cameraman search some tunnels for an Urban Legend called "Ratman." It goes more toward over-the-top humor when we get to the big reveals and action but that part had a wild character design and I laughed at the close-out.

Next up is The Empty Wake, where a woman has to sit in on a Wake that nobody comes to visit during a massive storm...and also the closed casket might be making noises. This one genuinely gave me some goosebumps in its build-up. The first person POV makes simple scenes, like finding candles when the power goes out, feel more nerve-wracking. The creep factor is great all the way through and the finale has a really dope make-up and effects action going on...but that finale also goes gangbusters and ruins the creepy aspect a bit.

Then we get The Subject, which is my favorite of the bunch. A doctor has been kidnapping people and turning them into "neo humans" with robotic additions that are horrifying to see. Just as his Frankensteins come to life, a swat team arrives and it becomes more action than horror...but it's the same campy fun as Malignant's precinct scene without the big budget.
The director for this one also made Safe Haven which I think is the best plot from any VHS film. Dude goes for it with his stories and they're always fun.

Terror is next and it's basically some white supremacists trying to weaponize a monster only for things to go awry...that's more fun on paper than it was entertaining in practice. It's gratifying to see the comeuppance, but the humor and fun of the other plots loses a bit with these hateful cats as such a focal point. This one's not bad, but not great...

Then we get Holy Hell the conclusion of the wrap around (the bit between each story that tries to connect them all). It's easily the weakest wrap around of any VHS film and the weakest bit of this movie. It's rushed between the other subplots and then tries to pack a lot into the end which makes it feel more tacked on than meaningfully connected to anything.

I think I'd rate the Subject in the top 5 or 6 sequences of any VHS movie...maybe higher but I've gotta think it through. The Empty Wake and Storm Drain would also rate among the sequences I liked from VHS 1 and 2 (and the skateboarder joint from Viral). Terror and Holy Hell would fall near the bottom though and that's what drags '94 away from being right in the running with the first two installments. I really had fun with it though!
This is the segment that I’m on- The Subject. LOVED it- they hardcore Henry-ed that scene with the robot hybrid fight!!!! With the POV perspective, All that needs to be said is wowww. Not to give any spoilers but They even managed to make me sympathetic for the killer bot bc she was acting out in self defense
:mjcry:
Bringing it back to the “Kong: Skull Island” theme of you invade a creature’s natural habitat, deplete them of their natural instincts and their survival tactics will take over on the kill or be killed premise. We either co-exist or you try to kill me and we both won’t exist at all. Then you have that extra defense mode kick in when a person is imprisoned against their will or removed forcefully = kidnapping. I caught the Malignant tie-ins too
:sadcam::bustback:
The RatMan was okay. Kind of basic. The Mortuary/Wake scene was intense as far as the scare factor but predictable at first but then they upped it with the tornado leaving it open ended so I’m taking it they’re revisiting that scene later in the movie, I think. I haven’t finished watching the entire movie yet but I will say that VHS 94 is up there with the first VHS. I see the resurgence in found footage if they keep it at this level. I guess all of the content creators, directors and producers reserved their best work for these Halloween releases bc the movies that I watched so far have been A1. Not one dub yet. I’ll post up my “watched list” over the weekend.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
October 7th: There's Someone Inside Your House
2t3wA0t.jpg

The first kill pulled me in and the second kill had me on the edge of my seat...but by the third kill I had figured out who the killer was and lost all my mojo for There's Someone Inside Your House.
Props to the creators for trying to mix social awareness with teen slasher hijinks but once you realize where the story is going and just how ridiculous it all is, the journey to the end becomes a bit of a chore and ultimately disappoints.
Plus the majority of these kids were awful so there wasn't much rooting value to be found.

I give There's Someone Inside Your House 2 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'
fCr4HMr.png
That’s what I’m watching tonight.

Can you make me a mini Devil’s Rejects smiley and a Michael Myers one like you did for Loomis please ?:feedme:
Using this pic :
devils-rejects-header.jpg

images

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
This is the segment that I’m on- The Subject. LOVED it- they hardcore Henry-ed that scene with the robot hybrid fight!!!! With the POV perspective, All that needs to be said is wowww. Not to give any spoilers but They even managed to make me sympathetic for the killer bot bc she was acting out in self defense
:mjcry:
Bringing it back to the “Kong: Skull Island” theme of you invade a creature’s natural habitat, deplete them of their natural instincts and their survival tactics will take over on the kill or be killed premise. We either co-exist or you try to kill me and we both won’t exist at all. Then you have that extra defense mode kick in when a person is imprisoned against their will or removed forcefully = kidnapping. I caught the Malignant tie-ins too
:sadcam::bustback:
The RatMan was okay. Kind of basic. The Mortuary/Wake scene was intense as far as the scare factor but predictable at first but then they upped it with the tornado leaving it open ended so I’m taking it they’re revisiting that scene later in the movie, I think. I haven’t finished watching the entire movie yet but I will say that VHS 94 is up there with the first VHS. I see the resurgence in found footage if they keep it at this level. I guess all of the content creators, directors and producers reserved their best work for these Halloween releases bc the movies that I watched so far have been A1. Not one dub yet. I’ll post up my “watched list” over the weekend.

Ratman was definitely the weakest of the first three. It's more mid but I liked it for the laughs. The Wake was definitely intense and I like that it felt predictable but since they took their time hitting the usual beats, you'd be tense almost because you know what to expect. Like it's not bad character decisions, but you still see the mistakes being made.

And Hardcore Henry is PERFECT as a comparison for the Subject. That's the feel of it but with the gore pushed to next level, and I def agree that they manage to get you rooting for certain characters even though they can barely communicate. The director that made this one also made the May the Devil Take You movies which are pretty good (first one on netfliix).