Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Y’all know I’m down bad when this movie below is what I’m watching bc I’m too sad to pick up the remote and change to another movie.

Truth be told, it’s actually not that bad at all. Idk if I’m saying that bc I’m just inflating the movie bc of my sense of mourning period or if the consensus is that it’s a decent movie? Interesting enough to keep on as I go to sleep for the night anyway.
81ryBEMMM-L._SL1500_.jpg

I watched this movie again about two months ago,,,I always liked this film

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
October 5th: Hellions
ovPtOCH.jpg

An odd, erratic film that has a message about bodily autonomy that it wants to push to the forefront but gets lost in the slapdash directing/editing and barely existent script.
So while there are interesting moments the movie as a whole is a bit of a jumbled mess.

I give Hellions 2 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
images

This was a decent watch. Had as much fun with it as I did with Hell House LLC. I wish I liked it more because there were a lot of moments where it felt like it was teetering on very good, especially the build-up and atmosphere in the first half, but there were a lot of bad moments too. Really fun traps and I found the villains a lot more intimidating before they took off their masks. Will be sure to revisit every October.

I really enjoyed this joint. Doesn't reinvent the wheel but does a damned good job of messing with audience expectations because we know more than the characters. Agreed that the killers were scarier with their masks on too.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
MV5BN2M3NGY2NmItYjVmMC00NmE1LWIxZDctMTllNTgzYTA5YjQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE1MzI2NzIz._V1_.jpg

So I was hype to get back into the Night for a watch-through and not disappointed. It did start a little slower than I'd remembered, but it's similar to Midnight Mass in that it takes its time introducing you to the characters so that the horror has more impact. It's good enough that I wanted to go good, bad, and ugly

Synopsis: The Night is a hotel haunting film that hits the mark on psychological horror and "show don't tell" storytelling. Babak moved to America from Iran 5 years before he was able to bring his wife over and start a family. The secrets and resentment that built up during that gap have gone unaddressed, until they wind up making a late-night decision to stay at the Hotel Normandy instead of driving home from a late-night with friends. Once they get into the hotel, they become trapped with the ghosts of their past as well as entities the Hotel has cooked up itself. The couple and their infant baby are stuck in perpetual night at the hotel unless they can confront their demons and find a way out.

The Good: The characters are fully fleshed out and realized, which amplifies the horror as the hotel starts to mess with them. The film introduces you to the characters and their traits in an extended opening at a party before dragging Babak, his wife, and daughter out of normalcy and into some straight-up nightmare-fuel. The hotel is disorienting and creepy, everyone we encounter at the hotel seems just a little off, and there's a bit of the uncanny to how dream-like everything is. The show-don't-tell portion hits the mark too. The scares give you clues as to what secrets the couple have kept from each other, but you can't be entirely sure until things escalate later on.

Speaking of escalation, The Night kills it here. They're patient about build-up and have zero reliance on jump scares. This is about facing your demons, so no need for cheap spooks. Nah, the ghosts take their time and I think that adds to the horror. The setting itself is great too, the hotel is creepy off the rip but it feels like it's expanding and becoming more of a maze as the film goes on. They score points for isolation and what few "people" do show up, tend to come across indifferent or even threatening. The creators weren't afraid to go really dark with where they take these characters and even though I think a lot of the plot was pretty discernible on my first watch, this second watch brought out some new ideas that'll only make a third watch even better.

The Bad: Listen, it's slow and deliberate about everything it does. The first fifteen minutes of this movie are just a parties with some friends. The next fifteen minutes start to show that things aren't as perfect as they seem, but are still just taking us to the location. That might be too long for some viewers, especially because a good chunk of this movie is subtitled. Patience is rewarded IMO, though. This also isn't a gory film with a big bodycount. The stakes are pretty clear from the offset, it's this family of three predominantly dealing with apparitions. So if you're looking for bodies and kills, this ain't it. The physical stuff isn't the concern, it's the mental part.

The Ugly: Off the rip, Babak seems like kind of a dikk. It's not as bad as the recent run of horror movies where you actively root against the protagonists because they all suck, but I was more actively invested in the wife and baby than the lead. But this is, after all, a redemption type of story...so it's not too shocking that the lead has major flaws to face-off with. That's what makes his inner-demons so rough in the first place. The only other major issue I had is more of a petpeeve, but this couple lets everyone who asks hold their baby even though a lot of those people are freakin' weird. I think the characters act in reasonable ways for most of this flick, but the hot potato baby passing around is dumb.

Final Verdict: This is still one of my favorite horrors in the last 10 years. When people look for disturbing, I generally think of off-the-wall gory stuff like Terrifier or slept-on The Eyes of My Mother. But this one hits psychological horror in a manner that very few other flicks manage. There are images and moments that will stick in your memory even though they rarely went outside the box. By keeping things contained to the two main characters and letting us pick up on hints instead of forcing exposition, we get a damned good rewatchable horror movie.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
MV5BNzU0MzgxMjAtYjU0NC00ZWYyLTljZWUtNTRkNzBhZTYwYzY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM2MzgyOTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Atmosphere was everything I could’ve asked for, body horror was a huge plus, and the ride was a wild one. The practical effects were by far the highlight of it all. Didn’t really give a damn about the characters, but hey, it’s a Lovecraftian movie. I’m too busy fearing the unknown anyways. Good stuff.

Can we get more modern cosmic horror please?

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
MV5BNzU0MzgxMjAtYjU0NC00ZWYyLTljZWUtNTRkNzBhZTYwYzY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM2MzgyOTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Atmosphere was everything I could’ve asked for, body horror was a huge plus, and the ride was a wild one. The practical effects were by far the highlight of it all. Didn’t really give a damn about the characters, but hey, it’s a Lovecraftian movie. I’m too busy fearing the unknown anyways. Good stuff.

Can we get more modern cosmic horror please?
I wanted to like and appreciuate it as it was a throwback and homage to the golden era of sfx horror, but this fell short!

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I’m watching this film called Midnight Man. I try to throw logic and reasoning away with movies, but my wit radar keeps going off. So much dumbassery. :beli:

I've spent years now on telling people about the Midnight Man for the simple fact that it's terrible. It's got a real shot at being in the "so bad it's good" category for people who rewatch movies like Wish Upon for laughter.