Essential The Official Coli Gun Owners Thread

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So, what are good AR-15 variants or other carbines for self-defense? Something good for in-home defense but also castle defense at range?

A good home defense and good range shooting weapon are two different guns. You can find a middle ground but it won’t necessary be great at either thing.

The main thing to consider for home defense is size and sound. It’s not practical to move around in tight spaces with a 16-18 inch barrel, so you typically want something shorter. Also guns are loud...very loud...concussive loud. If you are shooting indoors with no ear protection you will probably go temporarily deaf after the first round. That’s why suppressors are so invaluable for indoor shooting...in my opinion it’s a must. With that said 300 blackout is the best round to suppress bar none. It’s what I have for home defense, you sacrifice accuracy at distances but unless you want to go to jail you shouldn’t be shooting at people 100+ yards out. I never put more than 50-100 rounds through it at the range because the ammo isn’t cheap.

For the range, size and sound isn’t nearly as big of an issue. At that point you want accuracy and cheap ammo. 5.56 is the obvious round there, it’s cheaper to build yourself but some of that shyt is a pain in the ass to do like detent pins and bolt catch pin. But honestly it’s not really worth it to do all that for your first rifle, to go Palmetto state armory or aero precision and buy a completed upper and lower and snap em together. Check for the ones with the most reviews and go with that. For the most part at that price point it’s all the same shyt.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
ite i expanded on one of my old posts in this thread and added a few quick thoughts, also took some price info from another board i'm on. i tried to keep it to only inexpensive guns which i've shot personally, any suggestions or edits are welcome as i want this to be a collaborative work. the formatting is pretty ass and it could definitely use some more pics haha.

The Coli Buyer's Guide - Home and Personal Defense on a Budget

xhIo3FK.jpg

As a gun owner, you have a responsibility to shoot a gun before you buy it. To get the fit, to get the feel, to see if you can overcome the recoil, etc. Guns are like shoes, and people's hands are like feet. Different sizes, shapes, bends, etc. Just like some people can't rock Chuck Taylors or some Nikes or Adidas cause they have flat feet, wide feet, high arches etc., guns are exactly the same. You can't buy guns off looks alone. You really have to analyze what you need and what's good for you. Try to go to a local gun store and see how some options feel in your hand, then find a range that rents out guns and try out the ones you thought felt nice.

RIFLES
Unless you live in a slave state, buy an AR-15 in 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem.
+ Ammo is reasonably priced
+ Parts are common
+ Reliable magazines like the PMAG M2/M3 and USGI are affordable
+ Knowledge on how to maintain and modify them is widespread
+ Easiest to use gun for women, children, the elderly, or the disabled
+/- Some models, usually marked as "optics ready," don't come with sights
+/- If you need sights the MBUS is a good option, Vortex and Primary Arms make cheap red dots

Palmetto State Armory PA-15 - $350-450
+ Cheap, works well enough
+ Pick whatever mid length rifle you like best
+ You can save more money by buying the upper and lower separately
+/- You can save even more money by building the lower, the only uncommon tools you need are a set of punches and a $10 castle nut wrench

Smith & Wesson M&P15 / Ruger AR-556 - $450-550
+ Better fit and finish and quality control than PSA
+ Easier to customize the upper
- Generally a little overpriced

.22 LR semi-auto:
+ Large capacity magazines are common and cheap
+ Ammo is the cheapest kind you can buy
- Ammo is the first thing to be hoarded during shortages, driving prices up
- Very underpowered for defensive purposes, but...
+ Most people don't like being shot

Marlin 795 - $150
Mossberg 702 - $150
Ruger 10/22 - $250

For slave states:
Ruger PC Carbine - 9mm - $500
+ Reliable, great backpack gun
- Less powerful than an AR-15
+/- Uses pistol ammo, which you can't buy until you're 21

Savage Axis XP - .308 Win, also comes in .223 Rem - $300
+ Comes in a package with a scope
+ You can take the scope off and put a red dot on
+ .308 model is more powerful than an AR-15
- Bolt-action, not semi-auto
- Magazine only holds four rounds
- Magazines are expensive

PISTOLS
Nothing fancy, just a striker fired semi-auto 9mm. There's plenty of good options that aren't on this list.
+ Okay for home defense, great for concealed carry
+ Easy manual of arms, you pull the trigger and it goes bang
- The smaller and lighter the gun, the harder it is to shoot well
- Need a holster to carry safely
+/- Have to be 21 to buy
+/- Some states require a license to own and/or or have severe restrictions on carrying

Hi-Point C9 - $150
Ruger LCP v1, used - $175
Ruger EC9s - $250
Taurus G2C - $250
Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield - $300
Ruger Security 9 - $350
Glock 17/19, used or factory rebuilt - $350-400
Smith & Wesson M&P9, used - $350-400

Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield EZ, also comes in .380 ACP - $375
+ Great for women, the disabled, the elderly, or anyone who can't rack the slide or load the mag on other automatics

REVOLVERS
+ Reliable
+ Often found used in good condition
+ .38 has manageable recoil
+ Can be carried without a holster
+ Easy for women to load and carry, but...
- Not so easy to shoot
- Only five rounds capacity
- Slow to reload
- Short barrel means lots of noise and muzzle flash

Ruger LCR - $350
Smith & Wesson 442 - $400

SHOTGUNS
If you can't get an AR-15 or a handgun, get a pump-action 12-gauge shotgun. When looking for shotguns, it pays to check local pawn shops and gun stores. Old hunting shotguns are sold off for the low to these stores who in turn flip them them at low prices. Big box retailers like Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Scheels and Academy also sell a wide variety of shotguns. In most areas, you can find quality shotguns for $200 or less easily.
+ Can change out the barrel for hunting or shooting sports
+ Powaful Impak!
- Needs more strength and skill to use than an AR-15
- Low ammo capacity
- Buckshot and slugs are expensive, defensive ammo is very expensive
- Ammo is bulky

Mossberg Maverick 88 Security - $200
Mossberg 500 - $350
Remington 870, used and made before 2007 - $350

Midland Arms Backpack - $150
+/- Only buy if you're on a super tight budget, this is the cheapest gun I can recommend in good conscience
+ Extremely light, fits in a backpack
- Only holds a single round at a time, will need to practice reloads especially under high stress situations

GUNS TO AVOID
- Saturday night specials - Bryco, Cobra, Davis, Jennings, Jiminez, Lorcin, Phoenix, Raven, RG, Rohm, Sundance - low quality and dangerous, banned in some states
- Magazine-fed shotguns - at these price points you won't be able to find one that works well
- USA-made AK-47s - same
- Remington 870s made after 2007 - poor quality control after Remington changed ownership
- Military surplus like the Mosin or SKS - prices have risen a lot, ammo is getting harder to find, available guns are in poor condition
- Cheap Turkish shotguns

AMMO
Rifles - FMJ is cheaper but has worse terminal effects and can overpenetrate. If you're buying for defense, consider hollow points or bonded soft points, but they're quite expensive and you need to test it out to make sure it feels reliably. 5.56 NATO ammo can't be safely fired in a rifle marked .223 Rem, but a 5.56 marked rifle can fire both types.
Pistols - FMJ is fine for training. Quality defensive ammo like Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot is expensive, but well worth it. Try to get the 50 round law enforcement boxes, not the 20 round civilian boxes. It's the same product, just much less expensive. Make sure to test out a box or two before carrying it.
Shotguns - Buy #00 or #1 buckshot for defense. Some ranges, especially indoor ones will only let you shoot slugs. Avoid birdshot unless you're planning on being attacked by tiny birds.

OTHER THINGS YOU'LL NEED
- Cleaning supplies - a brush, a jag, a rod, patches, solvents, oils, etc. You can get cheap kits at Wal-Mart or most sporting goods stores. The minimum I'd go with is a rod and jag, a bottle of CLP or Ballistol, and some old cut up cotton shirts.
- Safety glasses
- Ear protection - Avoid foam earplugs. Howard Leight Impact Sports are a nice budget choice and are much comfier.
- Holster for a pistol. Avoid one size fits all cloth holsters.
- Consider a flashlight for a home defense gun, and maybe a mount if it's a long gun. Avoid cheap Chinese lights, the TLR-1 HL is a good option. Just like with guns, you really get what you pay for here and a lot of budget lights can't hold up to the stresses of gunfire.
- Training - the NRA has a site for the basics of firearm handling, the USCCA offers classes, and some academies have free courses on YouTube. Project Appleseed is a great way to get marksmanship training.
- A safe if you have children. Small safes, like the ones with a biometric reader are useless against thieves or determined teenagers but will keep a young child out. There's a great buyer's guide here.

WHERE TO BUY
To buy a gun online, you need to visit a local store ("FFL") and ask them to send a copy of their license to the store you're buying from. The FFL will do a background check on you and charge you for the transfer, $15-25 is typical in most areas.
- gun.deals is a free search tool where stores can submit prices for guns they carry. It can also be used for accessories, parts, medical gear, etc. and comes with an alert tool that can email you when something you're looking for falls below a certain price. A lot of stores that buy listings here don't actually carry inventory though, they just drop ship from their distributor.
- AmmoSeek is a free search tool that crawls the Internet for the best prices on ammo. Watch out for the listings all the way at the top, these stores usually charge a lot for shipping. Ammo is almost always going to be cheaper at a local gun store since they won't charge you for shipping.
- GunBroker is the eBay of guns, be sure to check here for what you want before you buy it elsewhere.

was it you that posted that vid of doing dry fire drills earlier? more vids like that would be dope.

Is this a good deal? Thinking this and a handgun to start. In MD, so CC is a pain, but I will be applying. I'm a larger breh :dame: (6'3", big and tall), so I assume I have some leeway on what I can carry comfortably. Any suggestions? Also, interested in suppressors.

M+P15 SPORT II 556NATO - $579.99 (Free S/H on Firearms)

Last edited:

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
Is this a good deal? Thinking this and a handgun to start. In MD, so CC is a pain, but I will be applying. I'm a larger breh :dame: (6'3", big and tall), so I assume I have some leeway on what I can carry comfortably. Any suggestions? Also, interested in suppressors.

It's a good deal. Other places are going for 660+, out here in California those rifles go for $700. Since you have a larger frame, this one should work well for you, because it have a 6 position stock, so you can adjust the rifle to meet your needs.

If your planning on buying a gun(s), make sure you go ahead and start buying ammo now, if you do not have any.

I believe you should buy the rifle first before your handgun, other poster can chime in with suggestions.

Last edited:

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England

these were $450-ish before the toilet paper apocalypse, $350 is the all time low. if you want your first ar now i think that's a pretty good deal, idk if/when prices are gonna come back down. making more money is always guaranteed but future prices/supply aren't. smegma also has the model with a (probably janky) red dot and no rear sight for $20 more: M+P15 SPORT II OR W/RED/GREEN OPTIC 556 and here's the mlok version for $20 more too, this is easier to put a flashlight on: M+P15 SPRT II MAGPUL M-LOK 5.56

can't really help you on the carry question, i'm a lil ass breh :russ: i would just go with whatever you shoot best, like you said you don't really have to worry about gun dimensions especially if you're a heavier breh
It's a good deal. Other places are going for 660+, out here in California those rifles go for $700.
oh god i just looked up the cali compliant version. i wanna put it out of its misery. :(

Last edited:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
It's a good deal. Other places are going for 660+, out here in California those rifles go for $700. Since you have a larger frame, this one should work well for you, because it have a 6 position stock, so you can adjust the rifle to meet your needs.

If your planning on buying a gun(s), make sure you go ahead and start buying ammo now, if you do not have any.

I believe you should buy the rifle first before your handgun, other poster can chime in with suggestions.

these were $450-ish before the toilet paper apocalypse, $350 is the all time low. if you want your first ar now i think that's a pretty good deal, idk if/when prices are gonna come back down. making more money is always guaranteed but future prices/supply aren't. smegma also has the model with a (probably janky) red dot and no rear sight for $20 more: M+P15 SPORT II OR W/RED/GREEN OPTIC 556 and here's the mlok version for $20 more too, this is easier to put a flashlight on: M+P15 SPRT II MAGPUL M-LOK 5.56

can't really help you on the carry question, i'm a lil ass breh :russ: i would just go with whatever you shoot best, like you said you don't really have to worry about gun dimensions especially if you're a heavier breh

oh god i just looked up the cali compliant version. i wanna put it out of its misery. :(

Copped, and got some ammo. I'll check out pistols in the store to see what I like. Thanks for the advice.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just got my first eotech...

I’ve been avoiding them because of the price and I didn’t think it was worth it. Just messing around with it in the backyard....I can clearly tell the difference. It’s so nice, I’m hooked :wow:

Gonna try to zero it this weekend if the range is too crowded with people panicking over the riots

qKLMHUt.png

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
i been seeing a lot questions recently from ppl tryna buy their first piece... anyone else wanna try to get a coli buyer's guide going? we could link up on a google doc or something and ask skeets to put it in the op. i'm thinking it should cover rifles, handguns, shotguns, guns to avoid, guns for people in ban states, where and how to buy them, and maybe keep all the options below something like $400. @Stir Fry @Wildin @Bunchy Carter i see you guys dropping knowledge in this thread all the time, let's brainstorm.

I'd actually really appreciate that.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
So, just found out that S&W rifle is banned in MD. Had to cancel. Back to the drawing board... @east Are there any other good alternatives besides the Palmetto? It's legal here, but your description makes it sound kinda wack. I don't plan on buying a lot of guns, so I'd prefer to buy quality ones that will last, as long as the prices aren't crazy.

Also, what is the deal with buying the upper and lower separately? I assume this is assembling it yourself? If it is just simple assembly, then I would go for it. Can someone elaborate?

Last edited:

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
So, just found out that S&W rifle is banned in MD. Had to cancel. Back to the drawing board...

Also, what is the deal with buying the upper and lower separately? I assume this is assembling it yourself? If it is just assembly, than I would go for it. Can someone elaborate?
looks like the M&P10 sport isn't banned in MD but the ticket on that is a lot higher. might be worth going with something like a ruger pc carbine 9mm.

edit: there's a local store with a list here Maryland Compliant AR15 Rifles

the "assembly" is mating the two receivers together and pushing in two pins, it literally takes five seconds blindfolded.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Maybe you should just head to a local gun store. they're not gonna let you walk out with anything unless it's legal. That way you can what the best option is for where you live.
Checked some out, online is way cheaper. Not trying to blow money like it's nothing. I want good stuff, but I'm not balling. Just a rookie mistake. I pulled up the banned weapons list, so I know better now.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
looks like the M&P10 sport isn't banned in MD but the ticket on that is a lot higher. might be worth going with something like a ruger pc carbine 9mm.

edit: there's a local store with a list here Maryland Compliant AR15 Rifles

the "assembly" is mating the two receivers together and pushing in two pins, it literally takes five seconds blindfolded.
Them ruger carbine take glock mags?