The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

Yesterday

Banned
Daps
it looks nice down there and seems cool. but it's not for me. simple things like running errands are such a hassle because you have to go all the way downstairs and get your car and then go. or go downstairs and find a cab or bus. one of my best friends lived downtown for years. once on waterside where you could see lake shore drive and navy pier from his window. that was sweet. but where he lived had the WORST parking in the city. the only saving grace is, his place had a parking space in the building and I could use it cuz he didn't have a car. and his crib was downtown, but wayyyyy off the beaten path. so even if I took the train, I'd have to take a bus down randolph and still have to walk over 2 blocks to get to the building. it was totally inconvenient. then dude moved to a place on franklin and van buren. that was much better. we mainly kicked it during bears games, and in the financial district (where he lived) there was abundant free parking on sundays, so that was pretty easy to drive to.

I think most of the schools have contingency plans. but I dont even know if I'm comfortable sending them to the school that's not really staffed or equipped to watch kids cuz the teachers aren't gonna be there. there's literally a school across the street from me, and then another one 1 block south. but my kid's school is about 6 blocks away, and I'm not driving up there tomorrow unless school is in session.

my old lady works in downers grove, so she's real spoiled with me working at home cuz I can basically handle any child-related emergency or issue with ease because my schedule is so flexible.
If you didn't have kids I think it wouldn't be a problem for you. Because of Uber having a car downtown is pretty pointless. Hell, even up north. I live in Uptown and I drive my car once a month at most. I just park somewhere and check on it every couple of days. I could uber everywhere I need to go and still save money by avoiding a monthly payment and insurance.

Contemplating moving to Wolf Point West or The Parker next year, if so I'll likely sell my paid off car or get a car lot membership and leave it.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
If you didn't have kids I think it wouldn't be a problem for you. Because of Uber having a car downtown is pretty pointless. Hell, even up north. I live in Uptown and I drive my car once a month at most. I just park somewhere and check on it every couple of days. I could uber everywhere I need to go and still save money by avoiding a monthly payment and insurance.

Contemplating moving to Wolf Point West or
The Parker next year, if so I'll likely sell my paid off car or get a car lot membership and leave it.

yo, if u move there, u certainly don't need a car. get a bike. you will be able to get to anywhere u need to go downtown. and for everything else, use the bus/train/uber.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I FINALLY got to hit up englewood whole foods. store is pretty good. prices are comparable to food 4 less on most non-specialty stuff (milk/eggs/meat/vegetables). But I was in there looking for specialty stuff to make lasagna from scratch, so I needed certain cheeses and oven ready noodles which we don't have at the grocery stores by my crib. also, their fruits and vegetables were super fresh in there. that I liked. I went around 1pm, and it wasn't packed, but not empty. not only that, there where whites and asians up in that joint chillin. I'm guessin they came from hyde park, but whatever. I'd rather shop at whole foods than wack ass treasure island that they got out there. talk about whole foods, but treasure island has been making a KILLING raping college kids over in hyde park for years. now there are two whole foods within 10 minutes of that treasure island, plus the walmart neighborhood market on 47th and cottage and there's gonna be a target on 53rd and kimbark as well. only drawback to the englewood whole foods is that it's small. I don't know how small it is in comparison to the hyde park one since I have never been in that one yet.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
CTA moves forward on planned Red Line extension to Far South Side

750x422

:manny:Improvement I guess....

cacs hate'n

Last stop is almost to Chicago's southern border. Here is one project I remembered seeing in South Side Chicago, location was once US Steel Works CHICAGO | US Steel Works Redevelopment | 430 acres - SkyscraperCity http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2016/08/01/u-s-steel-south-works-broken-up-into-smaller.html

Like a brand new neighborhood.....
05-chicago-southside-lakeside-development-road-opens-archpaper.jpg

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Last stop is almost to Chicago's southern border. Here is one project I remembered seeing in South Side Chicago, location was once US Steel Works CHICAGO | US Steel Works Redevelopment | 430 acres - SkyscraperCity http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2016/08/01/u-s-steel-south-works-broken-up-into-smaller.html

Like a brand new neighborhood.....
05-chicago-southside-lakeside-development-road-opens-archpaper.jpg
Even though I don't live this far southeast. I'm for any redevelopment on the south side. I didn't grow up in the south side, but it's my adopted home as I have lived south longer than I have lived anywhere else in my life.

Last edited:

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
:ohhh:lot more black folk in Pilsen/South Loop than I thought :blessed:

:blessed:Walked past this gallery, saw some brehs and sis in there deep, they had a showing of the 13th, chit chatted, a lot of 'em were local activists (like forreal grass roots) and artists, exchanged info got a earful.

Mind ya'll I walked in that mug buzzed and it was close to 10:30 .

:blessed:ain't no city like it.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I been drinking OJ like a mufukka today

You already know this shyt about to kick us in the balls when that wind chill return on our asses.

It's house money with this weather. Just sit back and enjoy it. I was on my deck out back just chillin reading a book tonight. No TV or nothing.