The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
How yall feel about gentrification in Chicago?

I'm pissed it dislocated my family out of Wicker Park, cuz that neighborhood got many businesses only once all the poor people left. :martin: Got shoved to Humboldt Park.

The flip side is Chicago being segregated there's so much specific culture in certain spots of the city. :ohlawd: That in itself can be a good thing. Nonetheless some areas got it right. I'd like Bronzeville to stay black. Pilsen to stay Mexican. Humboldt Park to stay Puerto Rican. Portage Park to stay Polish. There should be pockets of culture like that in the city.

Albany Park is an absolutely perfect mixture of people despite it being nearly half hispanic. Great area. Uptown, Edgewater and Rogers Park have it nice as well in terms of properly mixing people up. :ehh:

But the southside needs that. It's so underdeveloped. I can TELL when I'm on the southside. They're trying it now testing with revised "upzoning" (much to the dismay of our greater northwestern citizens) that I'm sure will eventually trickle down south.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
so I'm back in englewood again. my kid is taking the test for CPS selective enrollment for high school at Lindblom. now since I'm black and I am an avid runner, I will always do my running if I have time to kill which is what I did. but I did NOT expect to see some white dude jogging thru englewood as soon as we hopped out the car :mindblown:

now we are hitting up starbucks out here in between the test and its hella :bryan: up in here. even my kid remarked that the area over here on 63rd looks much different. I don't think that's the case other than the new stores. she was acting like kennedy king is new over here :childplease:

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
I'm pissed it dislocated my family out of Wicker Park, cuz that neighborhood got many businesses only once all the poor people left. :martin: Got shoved to Humboldt Park.

The flip side is Chicago being segregated there's so much specific culture in certain spots of the city. :ohlawd: That in itself can be a good thing. Nonetheless some areas got it right. I'd like Bronzeville to stay black. Pilsen to stay Mexican. Humboldt Park to stay Puerto Rican. Portage Park to stay Polish. There should be pockets of culture like that in the city.

Albany Park is an absolutely perfect mixture of people despite it being nearly half hispanic. Great area. Uptown, Edgewater and Rogers Park have it nice as well in terms of properly mixing people up. :ehh:

But the southside needs that. It's so underdeveloped. I can TELL when I'm on the southside. They're trying it now testing with revised "upzoning" (much to the dismay of our greater northwestern citizens) that I'm sure will eventually trickle down south.

First time I went to Albany Park I was awhile back :ohhh: I walked Persian, Ethiopian, Korean and Mexican spots all on the same block.

Even chatted it up with some Eritrean brehs and some Turkish looking cat trying to buy some incenses at a shop.

Just came from Bronzeville the other day, the architecture of them cribs is:wow:

So many underrated spots in Chicago.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
First time I went to Albany Park I was awhile back :ohhh: I walked Persian, Ethiopian, Korean and Mexican spots all on the same block.

Even chatted it up with some Eritrean brehs and some Turkish looking cat trying to buy some incenses at a shop.

Just came from Bronzeville the other day, the architecture of them cribs is:wow:

So many underrated spots in Chicago.

I love those greystones in bronzeville as well. only problem I have is that it's kinda a food desert, and there are still a lot of sketchy parts. however, the proximity to downtown can't be beat.

@OffHalsted

The 100s LochNess
Daps
Reppin
so I'm back in englewood again. my kid is taking the test for CPS selective enrollment for high school at Lindblom. now since I'm black and I am an avid runner, I will always do my running if I have time to kill which is what I did. but I did NOT expect to see some white dude jogging thru englewood as soon as we hopped out the car :mindblown:

now we are hitting up starbucks out here in between the test and its hella :bryan: up in here. even my kid remarked that the area over here on 63rd looks much different. I don't think that's the case other than the new stores. she was acting like kennedy king is new over here :childplease:

Opening up a 3 level building with a froyo shop on the main entrance, 2nd a floor yoga studio with a garden roof on top ain't sounding too bad rite now:jbhmm:
Beaverton.jpg

Yoga-Studio-Decorating-Ideas-with-common-design1.jpg

RoofGarden_6.jpg

36b128c6473963a34c9e9f3ff418ee10.jpg

:mjpls:Better act like yall know :win:

FlexPavilion

Enshrined
Supporter
Daps
I FINALLY got to hit up englewood whole foods. store is pretty good. prices are comparable to food 4 less on most non-specialty stuff (milk/eggs/meat/vegetables). But I was in there looking for specialty stuff to make lasagna from scratch, so I needed certain cheeses and oven ready noodles which we don't have at the grocery stores by my crib. also, their fruits and vegetables were super fresh in there. that I liked. I went around 1pm, and it wasn't packed, but not empty. not only that, there where whites and asians up in that joint chillin. I'm guessin they came from hyde park, but whatever. I'd rather shop at whole foods than wack ass treasure island that they got out there. talk about whole foods, but treasure island has been making a KILLING raping college kids over in hyde park for years. now there are two whole foods within 10 minutes of that treasure island, plus the walmart neighborhood market on 47th and cottage and there's gonna be a target on 53rd and kimbark as well. only drawback to the englewood whole foods is that it's small. I don't know how small it is in comparison to the hyde park one since I have never been in that one yet.
Was in there yesterday.....prices are like 30-40% cheaper than the other whole foods. Had me all :ooh::krs:

Shorty at the register told me the prices are going to stay that way too :ehh:

Will definitely stop in whenever I'm riding south. It's only about a mile from the Dan Ryan 63rd exit

FlexPavilion

Enshrined
Supporter
Daps
World Series!!
It's gonna be crazy up there this weekend. I remember in '05 when the Sox were in the series, it was literally 100 stretch limos lined up on the street next to the park.

With Wrigley Field being right in the middle of a residential neighborhood, and how everybody is in love with the Cubs :stopitslime:, it's going to be a sight to see.

If I had a spot in Wrigleyville, I'd put it up on Air BnB and make a killing

tater

Superstar
Daps
Damn. world series gonna fukk up my commute back north from the Loop later today :beli:
#FlyTheW

I took the train today. I'm working near wrigley and I'm not trying to deal with that nonsense.

I didn't know they opened the Whole Foods in englewood already. Just went to the Hyde park location yesterday, and you say the prices are cheaper?!

SHEEEEEEEEIT. I'm going there all the time now.

If you all think gentrification will happen in englewood I would snatch up a few properties. Just from what I've been looking at you can get places for 20k and less. Idk about that though. You may be sitting on that for awhile before you see any return on your money.

tater

Superstar
Daps
also, I'm for anything to lessen the segregation of here. My neighborhood is still around 95% black even tho there's white people one block north of me and one block east of me.

I think it's good to have majority black spaces. The segregation took some getting used to for me because I grew up around a lot of white people and diversity. I can say though, sometimes it's just more comfortable. I think the issue is, we don't have some of the amenities they get to have in the other areas.

FlexPavilion

Enshrined
Supporter
Daps
I took the train today. I'm working near wrigley and I'm not trying to deal with that nonsense.

I didn't know they opened the Whole Foods in englewood already. Just went to the Hyde park location yesterday, and you say the prices are cheaper?!

SHEEEEEEEEIT. I'm going there all the time now.

If you all think gentrification will happen in englewood I would snatch up a few properties. Just from what I've been looking at you can get places for 20k and less. Idk about that though. You may be sitting on that for awhile before you see any return on your money.
Englewood has always been decent real estate wise. They have some of the biggest two flats and some blocks have no vacant lots. It's block to block. I know you can find a property for less than 20k, but it would probably be on a block where it wouldn't sell