The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

@OffHalsted

The 100s LochNess
Daps
Reppin
Rahm Emanuel Concerned Gun Violence Could Spread To Parts Of City He Gives shyt About

CHICAGO— Speaking with members of his staff in private Monday after receiving the most recent municipal crime statistics, Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel is said to have expressed his concern that the metropolitan area’s gun violence problem might soon spread to the parts of the city he actually gives a shyt about, sources reported. “Listen, we’re at 3,000 shootings this year and counting—it’s only a matter of time before this violence migrates from the areas of the city I don’t give a fukk about into the areas that actually matter in my eyes,” the second-term mayor reportedly said, adding that it would be devastating to see such senseless shootings affect residents outside of the large swaths of Chicago he has written off entirely. “If we don’t do something soon to keep guns off the streets of those particular neighborhoods that I consider worthwhile, things could really spiral out of control. Enough is enough when it comes to the parts of this city that I choose to serve.” At press time, Emanuel was breathing a sigh of relief after learning that six Chicagoans killed overnight were shot dead in neighborhoods he couldn’t care less about.

:smugdraper:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Rahm Emanuel Concerned Gun Violence Could Spread To Parts Of City He Gives shyt About

CHICAGO— Speaking with members of his staff in private Monday after receiving the most recent municipal crime statistics, Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel is said to have expressed his concern that the metropolitan area’s gun violence problem might soon spread to the parts of the city he actually gives a shyt about, sources reported. “Listen, we’re at 3,000 shootings this year and counting—it’s only a matter of time before this violence migrates from the areas of the city I don’t give a fukk about into the areas that actually matter in my eyes,” the second-term mayor reportedly said, adding that it would be devastating to see such senseless shootings affect residents outside of the large swaths of Chicago he has written off entirely. “If we don’t do something soon to keep guns off the streets of those particular neighborhoods that I consider worthwhile, things could really spiral out of control. Enough is enough when it comes to the parts of this city that I choose to serve.” At press time, Emanuel was breathing a sigh of relief after learning that six Chicagoans killed overnight were shot dead in neighborhoods he couldn’t care less about.

:smugdraper:
:mjlol: this is from the onion.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
look at this. englewood whole foods prices are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than in lincoln park.

Englewood Whole Foods Prices Are MUCH Cheaper Than Lincoln Park's

Englewood, Auburn Gresham & Chatham
Business & Economy
Food & Drink

Englewood Whole Foods Prices Are MUCH Cheaper Than Lincoln Park's
By Kelly Bauer and Tanveer Ali | September 29, 2016 5:32am
Twitter Facebook Email More

Prices for kale and vanilla ice cream are different at the Englewood Whole Foods Market (left) compared with the one in Lincoln Park.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Tanveer Ali and Kelly Bauer
ENGLEWOOD — You might want to skip your local Whole Foods and head to Englewood the next time you go grocery shopping.

When plans were announced to open a Whole Foods in Englewood, a South Side food desert, officials said prices would be more affordable. On Wednesday, when the doors finally opened, the store put its money where its mouth is.

Compared to the Whole Foods' Lincoln Park location at 1550 N. Kingsbury St., prices on many items were far cheaper.

We comparison-shopped a grocery list of items. Check out the differences:

Allison Phelps, a Whole Foods spokeswoman, said shoppers should expect the prices to stay cheaper, but did acknowledge there were some grand opening sales.

Kelly Bauer · DNAinfo Reporter
Would you go out of your way to shop at Englewood's Whole Foods due to lower prices?
Voice Your opinion on NHSQ

“We have grand opening specials and will run sales, but we believe fresh, healthy foods should be accessible to everyone in every community," Phelps said.

"We’ve worked across the board to lower prices at all our stores, and at our Englewood store, like all our stores, we’ve created a curated product mix based off of community needs and feedback from residents. We’re focusing on products that bring exceptional value like our 365 Everyday Value line; more conventional fruits and vegetables alongside organic offerings; and bulk products, as well as lower prices on key staple products.”

In practical terms, that means some items, including produce, diary, meat and seafood, are much cheaper at 63rd and Halsted.

An example of the gap: Whole milk — a must-buy item for many families with children — was selling for just $1.99 in Englewood, while it was priced at $4.19 in Lincoln Park. The price was the same — $5.99 — at both stores when it came to organic milk from Whole Foods' 365 product line.

A dozen large white eggs, just $1.99 at Englewood, were twice the price in Lincoln Park ($3.99). Fresh Atlantic salmon cost $12.99 per pound in Lincoln Park and $8.99 in Englewood on Wednesday.

George Lyke, of Englewood, said he came by the store opening to check out the prices for groceries. The prices in the produce section were noticeably cheaper than what he's seen at other Whole Foods, he said, and were "reflective of a more community price" to serve Englewood's residents. He plans to come back to the store.

"So far, I'm impressed," Lyke said. "Maybe not as great as I thought it would be, but nevertheless it does reflect a difference of pricing."

And in Englewood, some produce items — like a banana or cucumber — was priced per item, while those groceries were priced per pound in Lincoln Park.

Tina Hammond, of Englewood, said some of the items were more expensive than she was used to but she thought the cost was worth it for healthy food. She was able to sample chicken salad before deciding to buy it, saying that it might be "pricey" but it was "delicious" and worth the cost.

"Some of it [is] a little bit pricey ...," Hammond said. "Spending the extra money, if I have to, I don't mind doing that. It's my health. If I don't do it right now, I'm going to pay for it later."

For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here:

@OffHalsted

The 100s LochNess
Daps
Reppin
CTA moves forward on planned Red Line extension to Far South Side

750x422

:manny:Improvement I guess....

Flag
  • captain80
fantastic idea, make it easier for those folks to come north to steal young women's cellphones and purses!

defaultavatar.png

Flag
  • Sammycook
more opportunity to rob riders on cta. great.

cacs hate'n

Last edited: