The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

Tanahashi Coates

Superstar
Daps
Hipsters won't even live in englewood, let alone regular white folks:patrice:

All them buildings and houses for sale, accessibility to the green line and a mile off the Ryan. :sas2: It'll be a slow burn that'll take years but if Chicago is losing black residents like the stats say they are, it's prime real estate.

@OffHalsted

The 100s LochNess
Daps
Reppin
All them buildings and houses for sale, accessibility to the green line and a mile off the Ryan. :sas2: It'll be a slow burn that'll take years but if Chicago is losing black residents like the stats say they are, it's prime real estate.

Yeah I know but the lowend & east woodlawn would be 1st since its not surrounded :patrice:I'm buying property tho & other blacks should do the same....

Tanahashi Coates

Superstar
Daps
Yeah I know but the lowend & east woodlawn would be 1st since its not surrounded :patrice:I'm buying property tho & other blacks should do the same....

:jbhmm: Good point. Ideally, the city would want to have big money living in that entire area around the University and Museum. Agreed about buying property. Buy low, sell high. HGTV got a breh wanting to flip and move to the next one

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I should have known coming to Garret's on a Saturday was a bad idea

Especially during a holiday weekend.

lots of tourist at garrett's on a holiday weekend. especially the locations on michigan avenue. however, the one over on madison and canal is NEVER crowded on weekends if you're already in the downtown area.

also the one on jackson just west of state street stays empty on weekends as well.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

I agree. englewood is just as close to downtown as the north side neighborhoods like rogers park. and they have even more public transportation options with both the green and red line along with proximity to the dan ryan.

on top of that taking the dan ryan downtown in the evening is a cake walk compared to trying to come downtown from the northside cuz theres far less traffic. also, there was talk about putting a 606 type elevated track in englewood using the abandoned train tracks that are just north of 59th street.

being close to public transportation in the city is such a bonus. I have a car, but I also live within walking distance of a red line stop, so I always got options. and that's not counting the buses.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I saw a commercial today by uber talking about how 54% of their drivers are from the south and west sides.

they also were talking about how uber allows folks that are served in areas that cabs don't frequent (south side/west side) ample car service. and they're right.

I don't live in a bad area, but there sure as hell ain't no cabs out south. hell, even the nicest parts of the south side don't an abundance of cabs. I'm talking beverly, morgan park, mount greenwood and hyde park/kenwood. I used lyft last weekend to get a ride to midway. shyt took dude only 3 minutes to arrive and it was cheaper than taking a cab. plus my driver was black and we was just shooting the shyt the entire ride up there. certainly a much better experience than a cab.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

if you're gonna buy, I'd do it out south. you get so much more for your money, it's not even funny. my house has 4-5 BR's (I dont use the basement bedroom as a bedroom), central a/c, 3 full BR's, big yard, 2 car garage a deck and is updated. if my place was on the north side or near west side, it'd be like 500k.

however, if you're gonna buy in the city and you got a family, you better find a spot with good public schools otherwise you gotta go thru the testing and CPS lottery process to get in a good school. and that is a pain in the ass to say the least. otherwise, you might have to do private schools, which will cost a fortune.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

Ezra

Daps
I saw a commercial today by uber talking about how 54% of their drivers are from the south and west sides.

they also were talking about how uber allows folks that are served in areas that cabs don't frequent (south side/west side) ample car service. and they're right.

I don't live in a bad area, but there sure as hell ain't no cabs out south. hell, even the nicest parts of the south side don't an abundance of cabs. I'm talking beverly, morgan park, mount greenwood and hyde park/kenwood. I used lyft last weekend to get a ride to midway. shyt took dude only 3 minutes to arrive and it was cheaper than taking a cab. plus my driver was black and we was just shooting the shyt the entire ride up there. certainly a much better experience than a cab.
There's no reason ever to take a cab. Uber and lyft are so much easier.

that whole foods/chipotle situation in englewood is very interesting. I wanna see how it plays out.

there's also an aldi on 63rd just east of halsted as well. so I'm not sure trader joe's would come to that area since they are owned by aldi's and would be essentially competing with themselves as well as whole foods.

Having an Aldi in the area wouldn't prevent Trader Joes from coming in. Even though they're owned by the same company, they cater to different demographics. Very little overlap.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
There's no reason ever to take a cab. Uber and lyft are so much easier.

Having an Aldi in the area wouldn't prevent Trader Joes from coming in. Even though they're owned by the same company, they cater to different demographics. Very little overlap.

man, adding a trader joes would be overload. that area would go from a food desert to a food paradise. to be honest, I would rather see mariano's instead of whole foods. I never shop at whole foods, but I do like marianos.

that being said, an area with both whole foods and marianos is over on halsted between monroe and madison. it's so convenient. however, getting in that marianos parking lot is a bytch cuz of how tight it is in that building trying to drive up to the roof.

Ezra

Daps
Marianos is a lot better. Cheaper, and more variety. I waste too much money at WF and their expensive ass food bar instead of just cooking for myself.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Marianos is a lot better. Cheaper, and more variety. I waste too much money at WF and their expensive ass food bar instead of just cooking for myself.
I tend to go to the one on Clark near Chinatown...

Love their hot food bar.

Also check out Pete's, love their stuff.