The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
I'm not even familiar with that channel. I just looked for it. I don't even get that in HD.
I think its only on Comcast, and yea its not in HD. Pretty much just our city's public access channel, so any joe can put shyt up on there as long as he get cleared. The headquarters around Damon near the north side I think.

Giselle

Daps
IIT is pretty much international students.

I was one of the only brothers there, but still found networks of black students through NSBE. I made it through okay :yeshrug:

Outside of that, how/where did you make black friends and where did you find black women to date (srry if you're gay lol) ? I saw 2 black girls in my group. One black guy as I was walking down the hall, he looked kinda happy to see me, but he was short so..., and there was another black guy was was overweight and one who looked young. Everyone else was mostly indian/asian and hispanic. I kept thinking that the darker indians were black until I took a longer look. I was disappointed. I've always been to schools with mostly black people and I've never had any nonblack friends. I didn't start going to school with other races until hs. It's weird. Will i have to join an african american club? Idk if I have the time.

Also, is it quicker to walk to your next class or drive there in you only have 10 mins? They should give out maps b/c I get lost easily.

And how many people usually drop classes within the first 3 weeks? I need some open spots for later times so I can change my schedule. My current schedule is a mess :mjcry:. Where am I supposed to go to get my schedule changed? I think I can change it online, but I want to make sure that I need all of the classes that I am taking and I need to know how many I need to take if I want to graduate by a certain time. The orientation didn't help much.

& are we suppposed to have School ID's or no? I don't have one and nobody told me to go get one yet, but I read about it somewhere.

Damn :mjlol:
As soon as I got done typing all of my questions, I re read your post, and you didn't even go there, you went to IIT . :laugh:

:mjcry:

I think I'm going to transfer again, but Idk. I graduate next year.

Giselle

Daps
A dude I knew that went to my highschool has started a gofundme account for surgery to walk again. Some pretty inspiring stuff...Feel free to pass it around.

wow :mjcry:

43,000 video views, 262 shares and only 30 people donated? :upsetfavre:

Malcolm Joseph

Microphone Checka
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Outside of that, how/where did you make black friends and where did you find black women to date (srry if you're gay lol) ? I saw 2 black girls in my group. One black guy as I was walking down the hall, he looked kinda happy to see me, but he was short so..., and there was another black guy was was overweight and one who looked young. Everyone else was mostly indian/asian and hispanic. I kept thinking that the darker indians were black until I took a longer look. I was disappointed. I've always been to schools with mostly black people and I've never had any nonblack friends. I didn't start going to school with other races until hs. It's weird. Will i have to join an african american club? Idk if I have the time.

Also, is it quicker to walk to your next class or drive there in you only have 10 mins? They should give out maps b/c I get lost easily.

And how many people usually drop classes within the first 3 weeks? I need some open spots for later times so I can change my schedule. My current schedule is a mess :mjcry:. Where am I supposed to go to get my schedule changed? I think I can change it online, but I want to make sure that I need all of the classes that I am taking and I need to know how many I need to take if I want to graduate by a certain time. The orientation didn't help much.

& are we suppposed to have School ID's or no? I don't have one and nobody told me to go get one yet, but I read about it somewhere.

Damn :mjlol:
As soon as I got done typing all of my questions, I re read your post, and you didn't even go there, you went to IIT . :laugh:

:mjcry:

I think I'm going to transfer again, but Idk. I graduate next year.
Damn that was a nice little bit of typing too:lolbron:

But if you looking into going to IIT or Northwestern let me know, I got the details on them joints.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
man, look at these fools terrorizing old ladies :snoop:

I KNEW the cats from the south side were just going up north to rob folks with the recent rash of burglaries in lakeview.
Teens Beat 77-Year-Old In Her Home, Break Bones, Loosen 8 Teeth: Prosecutor

Teens Beat 77-Year-Old In Her Home, Break Bones, Loosen 8 Teeth: Prosecutor

By Erica Demarest | January 11, 2016 8:38am | Updated January 12, 2016 8:43am
@ericademarest
Twitter Facebook Email More

(Left to Right),Tracie J. Towbridge, 19, of the 11500 block of South Lafayette Street; Lilearl T. Taylor, 19, of the 6700 block of South Perry Avenue; and Eli R. Ruff, 18, of the 7300 block of South Damen Avenue; were charged with home invasion with a dangerous weapon, burglary and criminal trespass to vehicle, police said.
View Full Caption
Chicago Police Department
COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — The 77-year-old woman who was attacked during a "brutal" home invasion early Saturday has broken bones, bleeding to her brain and eight or nine loose teeth, prosecutors said Monday.

According to authorities, three men broke into her first-floor apartment about 5 a.m. Saturday.

For the next 45 minutes, the trio stole jewelry, coins and a TV — and brutally beat and kicked the woman any time she made noise or called for help, Assistant State's Attorney Erin Antonietti said during a bond hearing Monday.

Tracie Towbridge, 19, Lilearl Taylor, 19, and Eli Ruff, 18, have been charged with home invasion, burglary and criminal trespass to a vehicle.

But on Monday, Antonietti said the state may upgrade those charges to include attempted murder.

"They brutally attacked a 77-year-old woman," Antonietti said as she petitioned for the men to be held without bail. "Every time she tried to speak up and speak out, they attacked her further."

Cook County Judge Donald Panarese Jr. ordered each man held in lieu of $2 million bail :damn:. Several of the alleged attackers' relatives cried as they left the courtroom, but declined to speak with media.

According to prosecutors, the attack started early Saturday when Towbridge, Taylor and Ruff — all of whom live on the South Side — rode the Red Line northbound to Wrigleyville. There, they walked around looking for someone to rob, Antonietti said.

The group settled on a two-flat home in the 3600 block of North Magnolia Avenue, prosecutors said.

The men tried to lift several windows before finding one that wasn't secured, according to Antonietti. Taylor and Ruff hoisted Towbridge into an enclosed porch area, and Towbridge let the other two inside the building, authorities said.

When the trio spotted the 77-year-old victim, who was awoken by the noise, they allegedly knocked her to the ground. Antonietti noted that the woman relies on a cane to get around.

Among other items, the group stole keys to the victim's Honda Accord, prosecutors said. The men allegedly loaded her TV, jewelry, coins and other belongings into the car before heading to the building's second-floor apartment.

Two women, ages 23 and 24, live there, according to Antonietti.

The 24-year-old woman wasn't home that evening, but her roommate heard noises coming from the 24-year-old's bedroom about 5 a.m., prosecutors said. A short while later, someone entered the 23-year-old woman's bedroom. She had been awoken by the strange noises and saw a hand holding a cellphone as a flashlight, Antonietti said.

The woman then heard a series of footsteps running down stairs, according to prosecutors. She tried contacting her roommate and the 77-year-old victim, to no avail, and then called 911.

According to prosecutors, the men stole an iMac desktop computer, a keyboard and several computer cords from the second-floor apartment.

At that point, Towbridge, Ruff and Taylor drove off in the 77-year-old woman's Honda Accord. As they headed south on the Dan Ryan Expy., prosecutors said. Ruff, who was driving, fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into a concrete embankment. :snoop:

All three men grabbed stolen goods and took off running. Police, who had been called to the area to investigate an unrelated shooting, were told to watch out for three men with a backpack, Antonietti said. When the officers spotted Taylor, Towbridge and Ruff, one of them happened to be carrying a backpack.

Police were able to arrest the trio just before 7 a.m. Saturday in the 6700 block of South Perry Avenue, according to court records.

Towbridge had what appeared to be blood on his shoe, Antonietti said. Taylor was carrying three rings, several coins, a screwdriver, white gloves stained with blood, two cell phones and a document that listed the 77-year-old victim's name and address.

Police later found a bloody footprint in the first-floor Lakeview apartment, as well as a hammer that was believed to be used a burglary tool inside the second-floor apartment, Antonietti said. The hammer did not belong to the victims.

Towbridge admitted to the home invasion and attack, and described each man's role, according to prosecutors.

Towbridge, of the 11500 block of South Lafayette Street, is currently on parole for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, prosecutors said. He has a pending felony case in Wisconsin for driving a vehicle without the owner's consent. According to his public defender, Towbridge works odd jobs and has two children.

Taylor, of the 6700 block of South Perry Avenue, has no publishable adult criminal history, prosecutors said. His public defender said Taylor works as a furniture mover, has two children and is a graduate of Harper High School.

Ruff, of the 7300 block of South Damen Avenue, has two pending misdemeanor cases: one for criminal trespass in the 3600 block of North Janssen Avenue, and one for obstructing identification. He was discharged from juvenile parole in August, prosecutors said. He works as a mover and attends Excel Academy, according to his public defender.

Contributing: Evan F. Moore
my only question is how is their bail more than the cat that shot laquan mcdonald on video tape :mjpls:

man, I'd disown my son if he was out in these streets beating up old ladies. fukking scumbags :pacspit:

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
man, look at these fools terrorizing old ladies :snoop:

I KNEW the cats from the south side were just going up north to rob folks with the recent rash of burglaries in lakeview.
my only question is how is their bail more than the cat that shot laquan mcdonald on video tape :mjpls:

man, I'd disown my son if he was out in these streets beating up old ladies. fukking scumbags :pacspit:

That's crazy N the police stay deep in that area especially right on Addison N

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
englewood to get their own 606 trail?????

Residents Give Wish List For When Englewood Gets Its Own Bloomingdale Trail

Residents Give Wish List For When Englewood Gets Its Own Bloomingdale Trail

By Andrea V. Watson | January 12, 2016 10:44am
@andreavwatson12
Twitter Facebook Email More

Englewood Line Nature Trail
ENGLEWOOD — When Englewood gets its own version of the widely-popular 606/Bloomingdale Trail, residents want to see not just an elevated trail, but also an outdoor theater, community gardens and safer nearby intersections.

Those were some of the ideas that came out of a brainstorming session Monday night in Englewood, as planners gathered residents to talk about the impending trail, tentatively called "The Englewood Line."

Many shared their ideas, as well as concerns, at the first community participation event, led by Grow Greater Englewood. The proposed eco trail would be a 1.7-mile-long park and trail system on an unused rail line in Englewood.

The elevated railroad is between 58th and 59th streets, from Wallace to Hoyne. The nature trail would be similar to the 606 parks system, which includes the Bloomingdale Trail former rail line, on the North Side. Funding would be a mix of public and private dollars.

Andrea V. Watson · DNAinfo Reporter
What would you like to see around the Englewood Line Nature Trail?
Voice Your opinion on NHSQ!

extralarge.jpg

The discussion took place at Feed, Clothe and Help the Needy, 1234 W. 59th Street. Attendees were asked to break into small groups and participate in three interactive sessions: the vision and design of the trail, job opportunities with Greencorps and a public safety survey as part of a Health Impact Assessment.

The trail in Englewood would reclaim an old rail line.
Englewood Line
“It’s their project so at the end of the day, if it’s going to be used, then the community needs to do the designing,” said Scott Goldstein, principal of Teska Associates, an urban planning firm.

Teska is working with the community and local businesses to provide input into the design and implementation of a nature trail. The City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development is leading the trail conversion effort and has contracted Teska Associates to handle project management.

extralarge.jpg

Goldstein called the ideas “terrific” and said that it’s important for the community to be apart of the process from the beginning.

The nature park is “desperately” needed, said Englewood resident Bernita Thomas. “It’ll be an enhancement for the community.”

She participated in all three interactive sessions and was vocal at each one.

“I want to bring something different,” she told the vision and design group.

Instead of the usual classes that are offered through the Chicago Park District, Thomas wants to see something “new and invigorating.”

extralarge.jpg
The proposed eco trail would be a 1.7-mile-long park and trail system on an unused rail line in Englewood.

Some of her ideas focus around people with disabilities. Thomas would like to see room for a pop-up shop so those with disabilities who make crafts can sell them.

With the Englewood Line Nature Trail will come jobs, which Robert Griffin is “happy” to hear. He said bringing jobs to the community will help decrease the violence.

Greencorps Chicago is a green-industry paid job training program. Trainees would receive both classroom and hands-on training in horticulture, tree care, ecological restoration and environmental health and safety. Eligibility requirements: at least 18, Chicago resident and pass ongoing drug screening.

Curtis McKinney is project coordinator over the job training program and said there are more jobs in this industry than potential applicants. Not enough people are going after these jobs, he said. Basic landscaping jobs can pay $10 an hour, but the specialized jobs can pay anywhere from $12-17 an hour, he said. If they get a job with the Forest Preserve, they can see an annual salary of at least $41,000.

McKinney said Greencorps is looking to diversify the green-industry. They encourage everyone to apply, even those with felonies.

“We will help people overcome those barriers,” he said.

extralarge.jpg
This is some of the space that would get transformed into a nature trail.

It was more than Englewood residents who joined in on the brainstorming session. Cynthia Hudson, community liaison for Active Transportation Alliance, made her concerns known.

“The big thing for me is access,” she told DNAinfo. “I want to make sure people feel safe and they have access. Some of these streets around the trail are dangerous.”

She said that a campaign last year listed the 63rd and Halsted intersection as one of the top 10 dangerous intersections in the city.

Hudson is planning to do a walkability assessment and is looking for people to join her. She doesn’t have a date set yet, but says people can contact her either by phone, 312-216-0464 or through email, cynthia@activetrans.org.

extralarge.jpg

Rep. Sonya Harper (D-Chicago) is also the executive director of Grow Greater Englewood. The goal of the meeting was to get feedback from the community, she said.

“This is kind of the kickoff because we want to keep them engaged over a period of time as we work to figure out what the trail would look like, what it would be like and who it would be for,” Harper said.

Her vision for the trail: “I would just like a nice haven, a quiet place to walk, maybe take your dog for a walk and to just enjoy nature and feel peace.”

She also envisions it being a safe gathering space for neighbors and a place for children to play and learn more about nature.

Englewood “deserves” this trail, she said.

“This isn’t even a new idea,” said Harper. “This is something that was put on the books a long time ago and just kind of sat there. Grow Greater Englewood, with the help of the city, is helping to revive this for the sake of residents. We need stuff to happen and we need it to happen right now in our community.”

Goldstein from Teska said he would like to see construction begin as early as this summer.

For more information on Englewood Line, people can visit the website at www.Englewoodline.org.

btw, I have been up and down 59th street countless times and I have always thought that that unused track could be repurposed as a bloomingdale like trail for the south side. although the 59th street trail would be about a mile shorter than the 606 elevated trail. I'd check it out, cuz I'm an avid outdoor urban runner. however, I haven't run thru englewood in years after someone almost pulled a gun on me one morning. I got some safety concerns over an outdoor elevated trail in that area. but I'm all for ammenities that northsiders have coming to the south side. given the cost of building the 606, it would take a significant investment to get this up and running on 59th street, but I'd love to see it come just like the whole foods and chipotle that are coming over there as well.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
UGH, we got the hawk out here again in full force.

I wanted to stay in the entire day, but I had to take my kid to lindblom for selective enrollment testing for CPS. horrible day to be out. then my old lady text me to get some shyt from the grocery while I'm out. after I do that, she text me to get some other shyt, and I'm like :whoa: "I just came from out there, I"m not doin it again".