The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Daps
Daps
Premier Pharmacy, the Black-owned Pharmacy that I posted about earlier in this thread, is having a Wellness event tomorrow with a bunch of Black-owned vendors

CtoSz3rXYAAEpX3.jpg

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Just getting home from Breakin Convention. Even though it didnt get the turnout hoped for due to all the things going on in CLT, it was LIT. Great show and had a great time.

Gonna be at the Street Jam festival tomorrow at Spirit Square between 10am-4pm then later at the Knight for day 2 of Breakin Con

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Well damn..... that was my post to yall last night but the servers were acting stupid.

As far as now..... just got back in from Night 2..... man this show again is amazing and the Street Jam shyt was fun today.

Cant wait for it next year and cant say anything but positive stuff

Daps
A former NFL player is opening a two-level breakfast/lunch spot in uptown

Get the details of the new two-level breakfast/lunch spot opening uptown
By Katherine Peralta -
October 17, 2016
Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter
A former NFL fullback without any restaurant experience is behind the new breakfast restaurant opening in the heart of uptown next March.

Justin Griffith, who was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in 2003, sees franchising a restaurant concept like Famous Toastery sort of like learning a playbook. He did that as a player for eight years in the NFL, then he taught the playbook for four more years as a coach, most recently with the Oakland Raiders.

Griffith’s Famous Toastery, a chain that started in Huntersville, will be a two-level breakfast, brunch and lunch restaurant in the Charlotte Chamber building, 330 S. Tryon. Designed with busy professional customers in mind, Griffith’s location will have a grab-and-go menu on its upper level, and a sit down area with a bar in its bottom level.

Griffith left his most recent NFL job as the Raiders’ offensive quality control coach in 2015, and soon started looking for something “more stable.” He first learned about franchising at a seminar called “Ascending Athletes,” designed to educate professional athletes on business skills as they transition out of their respective leagues.

justin.jpeg

Justin Griffith
“It made sense to me. Here’s this product, you have the groundwork already laid. The one thing you have to do as a business owner is learn the playbook, learn the system,” Griffith said.

After Oakland, Griffith, his wife and three young sons moved to Harrisburg, where she’s from. The Griffiths were first introduced to Famous Toastery in spring 2015 in Concord, en route to dropping their son off at day care. They loved the concept, Griffith said, and the 7 a.m.- 3 p.m. hours, which would give him time to spend with his family.

“It’s got a hometown feel. I’m not from Charlotte, but I like supporting the hometown businesses,” Griffith said.

He went online and filled out a franchising application, and soon after, co-founder Robert Maynard called him up. Maynard and his business partners scout locations before they have franchisees on board, so the uptown location was in need of a team at the time.

“NFL aside and competition aside, (Griffith) wants to follow what we’re doing. If you can do it over and over, it’s a fit. That uptown space, it’s walking distance to the baseball stadium, Bank of America Stadium, the Hornets (Spectrum Center). It’s very sports-driven, and it will be very cool for him to be running the store.”

Griffith, who says his loyalties are split between the Carolina Panthers and the Falcons, says he’d like to one day be a resource for other professional athletes as they leave their sports careers.

“This is a new challenge. It’s not the same, but it’s a new challenge. I love being around people, I love talking to people and I love operating systems. I love the teamwork of it.”

The uptown Famous Toastery will be the chain’s 20th area location when it opens. Construction is set to begin in December, and Griffith is targeting an opening date of March 3 or 10.

Daps
Charlotte has a new city manager. Meet Marcus Jones.

Everyone who works for the city of Charlotte now has a new boss.
The city council announced Wednesday evening that it had named a new city manager — 49-year-old Marcus Jones. He most recently served as a city manger of Norfolk, Virginia, and is now coming to a city three times the size. He’s also the first African-American to hold the top job in Charlotte.

Here Jones is posing with a giant inflatable duck.

Marcus Jones. Photo by city of Norfolk via Facebook

What does the city manager do?
Charlotte has a weak mayor form of government, meaning that the mayor job is a part-time position without any true management requirements. Some cities have the opposite — a strong mayor form of government — where the elected mayor actually runs the city. In cities like Charlotte, the mayor and city council instead hire a city manager.

The city manager is responsible for making the city run: overseeing all the city departments and implementing policies passed by the council.

That’s going to be especially important in Charlotte over the next year as the city sorts out the fallout of riots and protests stemming from the police shooting of an African-American man. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has promised an external review, and the city council has pledged to speed up affordable housing and workforce development. It’s going to be Jones’s job to figure out how to do it.

[Agenda story: The City Council has pledged progress in these 3 areas after the protests in Charlotte]

It’s a big job. The city of Charlotte has about 7,000 employees and a $2 billion annual budget. The most recent city manager had a salary of $245,000. Jones will make $300,000 and begin December 1.

What is Marcus Jones known for?
If you research him, you’ll see that Jones talks again and again about running government as a data-driven organization.

“We want to be efficient, we want to be effective, we want to be accountable, responsive, inclusive — but most importantly we want to be customer focused,” Jones says in a taped interview with a public TV station. “We’re not just going to have gut reactions. … What do we have that we can show that’s empirical evidence that what we’re doing is the right thing?”

He also talks a lot about community engagement, and about finding efficiencies in government by breaking down silos.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
See... weekends like this is why I laugh at cats that be on that "bu bu bu bu but theres nothing to do in Charlotte"

Man yesterday I attended TWO art showcases..... one for my homey Deneer Davis aka Neerperfection.... yall can follow her on IG and see some of her art. She's a local artist that is VERY talented.

Tonight I'm going to a broadway show at Ovens, but before that going to Studio 1212 for The Big Chill 90's Gallaria at 6.

Then after the show at Oven, gonna try to check out this spot on Central where I hear my homey DJ SteelWheel and I think his brother Loottenant Trax is performing... that spot gonna run from 9-2. I dont know the name of the venue but I was told its beside the Penguin Diner spot in that Central Ave area

TRY GOD

BOTH SIDES.
Daps
Reppin
GOD
See... weekends like this is why I laugh at cats that be on that "bu bu bu bu but theres nothing to do in Charlotte"

Man yesterday I attended TWO art showcases..... one for my homey Deneer Davis aka Neerperfection.... yall can follow her on IG and see some of her art. She's a local artist that is VERY talented.

Tonight I'm going to a broadway show at Ovens, but before that going to Studio 1212 for The Big Chill 90's Gallaria at 6.

Then after the show at Oven, gonna try to check out this spot on Central where I hear my homey DJ SteelWheel and I think his brother Loottenant Trax is performing... that spot gonna run from 9-2. I dont know the name of the venue but I was told its beside the Penguin Diner spot in that Central Ave area
I remember being the first person to set up any urban aka black art/entertainment showcase at studio 1212 with society 33 in 2013. Now the place is popping...

Daps
Yeah, if you do a little bit of research about what goes on in the city, you'll find that there's a lot to do. The people who complain are the type to sit in their house and wait for something to come to them.