Daps
The Hip-Hop Fellow

EventImg-9thWonder.jpg

Heritage & History
The Hip-Hop Fellow
November 17 | 6:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Ages:
18+
The Underground at the AvidXchange Music Factory, 820 Hamilton Street, Charlotte, NC 28206
Cost:
$30 for general public, $25 for members, all tickets $35 after October 31
add to calendar
ABOUT THIS EVENT

Film. Talk. Beats. Featuring Grammy Award-Winning Producer, DJ and Record Executive 9th Wonder

North Carolina native, 9th Wonder is the subject of the 2014 documentary The Hip-Hop Fellow, which will be screened as part of this three-part Heritage & History program. The film traces his 2012-15 tenure as a Fellow at Du Bois Institute at Harvard University where he taught and explored hip-hop's role in academia. Currently, 9th Wonder is a Lecturer in African American Studies at Duke University.

In 1998 along with Phonte and Big Pooh, 9th Wonder formed the critically acclaimed hip-hop trio Little Brother. His first major label placement as a producer was the song “Threat” on Jay-Z's Black Album, and since then he worked such artists as Erykah Badu, Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Mary J. Blige.

Joining the program is Mark Anthony Neal, Duke University Professor of African & African American Studies and English, who co-teaches The History of Hip-Hop with 9th Wonder. Dr. Neal is the author of numerous books, including New Black Man, and is host of Left of Black, a video webcast produced with the John Hope Franklin Center.

PLEASE NOTE: This event takes place at The Underground at the AvidXchange Music Factory, 820 Hamilton Street, Charlotte, NC 28206.

"Given the demographics of Charlotte and pockets of segregation and poverty at the heart of the recent protests, this discussion of The Hip-Hop Fellow provides a unique opportunity for community folks seeking solutions to consider the possibilities for social change via hip-hop arts. Reflecting on 9th Wonder's career is to bear witness to a young Black kid that grew up working class in North Carolina who finds himself as a fellow at Harvard University. It is crucial to understand that hip-hop allowed him and countless other Black youth to imagine a future for themselves.

Mark Anthony Neal, Ph.D.
Professor of African & African-American Studies at Duke University and co-presenter with 9th Wonder at the Gantt Center’s Heritage and History program, “The Hip-Hop Fellow: Film. Talk. Beats"
Event Schedule

6:00 pm - 9:00 pm – Film. Documentary film screening of The Hip-Hop Fellow + Talk. Discussion and Q&A with 9th Wonder and Mark Anthony Neal

9:00 pm - 11:00 pm – Beats. Gantt After Dark experience with music and mixing by DJ Chela

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I remember being the first person to set up any urban aka black art/entertainment showcase at studio 1212 with society 33 in 2013. Now the place is popping...

That place is a dope as spot! I definitely will be looking for more shyt to go to there

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
The Hip-Hop Fellow

EventImg-9thWonder.jpg

Heritage & History
The Hip-Hop Fellow
November 17 | 6:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Ages:
18+
The Underground at the AvidXchange Music Factory, 820 Hamilton Street, Charlotte, NC 28206
Cost:
$30 for general public, $25 for members, all tickets $35 after October 31
add to calendar
ABOUT THIS EVENT

Film. Talk. Beats. Featuring Grammy Award-Winning Producer, DJ and Record Executive 9th Wonder

North Carolina native, 9th Wonder is the subject of the 2014 documentary The Hip-Hop Fellow, which will be screened as part of this three-part Heritage & History program. The film traces his 2012-15 tenure as a Fellow at Du Bois Institute at Harvard University where he taught and explored hip-hop's role in academia. Currently, 9th Wonder is a Lecturer in African American Studies at Duke University.

In 1998 along with Phonte and Big Pooh, 9th Wonder formed the critically acclaimed hip-hop trio Little Brother. His first major label placement as a producer was the song “Threat” on Jay-Z's Black Album, and since then he worked such artists as Erykah Badu, Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Mary J. Blige.

Joining the program is Mark Anthony Neal, Duke University Professor of African & African American Studies and English, who co-teaches The History of Hip-Hop with 9th Wonder. Dr. Neal is the author of numerous books, including New Black Man, and is host of Left of Black, a video webcast produced with the John Hope Franklin Center.

PLEASE NOTE: This event takes place at The Underground at the AvidXchange Music Factory, 820 Hamilton Street, Charlotte, NC 28206.

"Given the demographics of Charlotte and pockets of segregation and poverty at the heart of the recent protests, this discussion of The Hip-Hop Fellow provides a unique opportunity for community folks seeking solutions to consider the possibilities for social change via hip-hop arts. Reflecting on 9th Wonder's career is to bear witness to a young Black kid that grew up working class in North Carolina who finds himself as a fellow at Harvard University. It is crucial to understand that hip-hop allowed him and countless other Black youth to imagine a future for themselves.

Mark Anthony Neal, Ph.D.
Professor of African & African-American Studies at Duke University and co-presenter with 9th Wonder at the Gantt Center’s Heritage and History program, “The Hip-Hop Fellow: Film. Talk. Beats"
Event Schedule

6:00 pm - 9:00 pm – Film. Documentary film screening of The Hip-Hop Fellow + Talk. Discussion and Q&A with 9th Wonder and Mark Anthony Neal

9:00 pm - 11:00 pm – Beats. Gantt After Dark experience with music and mixing by DJ Chela

OH shyt!!!! I'm definitely making this!!! 9th my Big Homey!:gladbron::salute:

Daps
Anybody ever been to Seafood Connection?

SEAFOODCONNECTIONCHARLOTTE public group | Facebook

Jamie Walker (@seafoodconnectioncharlotte) • Instagram photos and videos

http://www.charlottefive.com/seafood-connection-charlotte/

MG_0165.jpg

Is the best seafood in Charlotte served in a church parking lot?
By Jody Mace -
November 1, 2016
Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter
There are people who don’t want me to write this article. They like to protect their secrets, especially when those secrets involve arguably the best seafood in Charlotte, and even more so when spilling the secret could lengthen the lines.

But you deserve to know.

In January, Jamie Walker came to Charlotte from Savannah, Ga., and he brought Seafood Connection with him. Seafood Connection specializes in low country boil, with Walker’s own twist. Ask him about the seasoning blend, which he creates from a “combination of stuff” that he likes, and he’ll smile and say: “It’s just seasoning.”

I got the chance to watch him make the seafood salad. I didn’t have to sign a non-disclosure agreement, but it was implied. As he folded ingredients into a huge bowl he looked up and said, “Nobody ever watches me make this.”

He learned to cook from his cousin, who runs David’s Crab House in Savannah. In July of 2015, Walker started Seafood Connection in Savannah, and then moved it here in January so that it could expand in a larger market. To say that it’s popular would be an understatement.

He gets two shipments of seafood a week from Savannah and then, with the help of three others, cooks it all in the kitchen of New Shiloh Baptist Church, at 2600 Elmin St., off of West Boulevard. There are no specific days of the week that he cooks, but he announces it on the Seafood Connection Charlotte Facebook group, which has more than 20,000 members. The Seafood Connection Instagram account has another 10,400 followers.

When he announces a “pull up” (it’s called that because people pull up into the parking lot) the crowds show up. He starts taking orders at 1 or 2 p.m. (watch the Facebook group for specifics) and keeps serving until around 6 p.m. or until they’ve sold out.

As soon as word is out, the posts start flying on the Facebook group. Someone’s coming in from Rock Hill. Someone wants to know if they’ll have deviled crab today. You can bet that someone’s afternoon plans just changed.

“Every day that we work, people leave their jobs early,” Walker said. “It’s serious. I didn’t know it was going to be this serious but it’s serious.”

The line to order, and the wait to get your plate, can be long. The best bet, Walker tells me, is to come early, right when they’re about to start taking orders. He serves more than 1,500 customers each week and goes through 1,800 pounds of crab legs.

You can bring your plate home or back to work, but lots of people eat it in their cars, right in the parking lot. If that’s your plan, bring a towel, because napkins don’t cut it. And don’t wear a shirt that you care about.

Seafood Connection is known most for tender, flavorful crab legs that slide out of their shells with ease, and for seafood salad. You might have had seafood salad before. Maybe it was somewhat bland and you ate it on a croissant. This is different. I’m not at liberty to divulge any of the seasonings but I can say it’s filled with big pieces of crab and shrimp. I’m pretty sure I spied some hard-boiled eggs in it. Most importantly, though, it’s got a kick and it’s addictive.

The low country boil includes shrimp, potatoes, corn and sausage, as well as crab legs if you get the combo plate. He sometimes serves up lobster and deviled crabs, as well as alligator sausage (alligator meat blended with pork) and conch — not items found on the typical Charlotte restaurant menu.

Walker has no immediate plans to open a restaurant, but is hoping to get a couple of food trucks going soon. For now keep your eye on the Facebook group, and pull up early. Cash only.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Man meant to post in here last night!! So I went to Harvey Gantt The Hip Hop Fellow event to see my OG 9th Wonder, that was a cool event. His doc was dope. I dont think most people realized there was a party afterwards. But was happy to holla at him backstage before the show started and a little late in the night after he did his "celeb" thing.

It was cool seeing some other fellow Winston cats come out to support (those most Glenn cats that went to the same school as him, I went to Parkland a rival school). But man if yall aint come yall missed out on a cool night.