The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Daps
https://www.charlotteagenda.com/230...has-a-fish-samwich-thats-as-big-as-your-face/

Skrimp Shack on Central Avenue is now open and has a fish “samwich” that’s as big as your face
15A0DFC3-BC1C-4CA6-9C79-9CEC9F6FEE8C.jpeg

symphony-1-102x102.jpg

By Symphony Webber | August 31, 2020

Skrimp Shack, a popular fried seafood chain, opened a new location on the corner of Central Avenue in the Eastway Crossing center on June 18.
Chaz Crenshaw, owner of the Eastway franchise, calls himself the “Skrimp King.” He’s a character, and plays it up on social media. Since he’s opened he’s partnered with other Black-owned businesses to bring awareness to their work — for instance, the other day he took to Instagram to promote the work of Honey Butter Bakery. Specifically, he raved about their sweet potato cheesecake. “Now, let me rewind: I said sweet potato cheesecake,” he said.

Crenshaw says he and his wife, Wanda, have been taken aback by the support for the Eastway location in its first two months — he also owns the Skrimp Shack in Pineville. Business has been steady, even with the pandemic.

Part of that is the attention he pays his customers: “Everybody is someone when they come through that door.”

Food: The menu features “samwiches,” po’boys, baskets, and tacos. Not to mention their delicious sides. “Samwiches” range from $6.45 to $12.45, po’boys $9.75 to $11.75, baskets $7.95 to $18.25, and all tacos are $7.45. Sides can be added to each meal and range from $1.50 to $4.95.

If it’s your first time visiting the Skrimp Shack, you might have a hard time deciding what to get, so…

Here are the three most popular menu items at Skrimp Shack:

• Whiting “Samwich” ($6.85) — 3/4-pound Whiting fish on a jumbo sesame seed bun with a house recipe tartar sauce on the side.
  • Skrimp Po’ Boy ($9.75) — 6-inch hoagie roll filled with skrimp and covered with either a spicy or mild secret sauce.
  • Skrimp dinner basket ($18.25) — your choice of fried, grilled, or blackened skrimp (20 count) with a side and a drink.
Layout/Vibe: If the name didn’t already give it away, this is a homespun, no-frills seafood joint that serves fish and shrimp. Unlike its predecessor locations, this Skrimp Shack is a stand-alone storefront that encourages customers to eat in rather than solely carry out. There’s even a back patio area that can be rented out and used as an event space. Tables are socially distanced and floor markings are used to denote six feet between patrons while waiting in line.

Location/Hours: Skrimp Shack’s newest location is 3718 Central Avenue. It’s open Monday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Let’s check out the grub.

FD810775-0481-478B-B92F-B738E8E216EA.jpeg

Whiting Samwich ($6.85)

73BB87A8-16B6-4493-9087-D84F63570A1B.jpeg

Skrimp Po’ Boy ($9.75)

4A216409-3753-4C1E-B36A-F7F9C9E77B15.jpeg

FDAECFB2-A1D6-4C1D-87CD-25D0B3D552D1.jpeg

Eastway Skrimp Shack co-owners Chaz and Wanda Crenshaw

Towlie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Skrimp Shack on Central Avenue is now open and has a fish “samwich” that’s as big as your face

symphony-1-102x102.jpg

Skrimp Shack, a popular fried seafood chain, opened a new location on the corner of Central Avenue in the Eastway Crossing center on June 18.
Chaz Crenshaw, owner of the Eastway franchise, calls himself the “Skrimp King.” He’s a character, and plays it up on social media. Since he’s opened he’s partnered with other Black-owned businesses to bring awareness to their work — for instance, the other day he took to Instagram to promote the work of Honey Butter Bakery. Specifically, he raved about their sweet potato cheesecake. “Now, let me rewind: I said sweet potato cheesecake,” he said.

Crenshaw says he and his wife, Wanda, have been taken aback by the support for the Eastway location in its first two months — he also owns the Skrimp Shack in Pineville. Business has been steady, even with the pandemic.

Part of that is the attention he pays his customers: “Everybody is someone when they come through that door.”

Food: The menu features “samwiches,” po’boys, baskets, and tacos. Not to mention their delicious sides. “Samwiches” range from $6.45 to $12.45, po’boys $9.75 to $11.75, baskets $7.95 to $18.25, and all tacos are $7.45. Sides can be added to each meal and range from $1.50 to $4.95.

If it’s your first time visiting the Skrimp Shack, you might have a hard time deciding what to get, so…

• Whiting “Samwich” ($6.85) — 3/4-pound Whiting fish on a jumbo sesame seed bun with a house recipe tartar sauce on the side.
  • Skrimp Po’ Boy ($9.75) — 6-inch hoagie roll filled with skrimp and covered with either a spicy or mild secret sauce.
  • Skrimp dinner basket ($18.25) — your choice of fried, grilled, or blackened skrimp (20 count) with a side and a drink.
Layout/Vibe: If the name didn’t already give it away, this is a homespun, no-frills seafood joint that serves fish and shrimp. Unlike its predecessor locations, this Skrimp Shack is a stand-alone storefront that encourages customers to eat in rather than solely carry out. There’s even a back patio area that can be rented out and used as an event space. Tables are socially distanced and floor markings are used to denote six feet between patrons while waiting in line.

Location/Hours: Skrimp Shack’s newest location is 3718 Central Avenue. It’s open Monday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Whiting Samwich ($6.85)

Skrimp Po’ Boy ($9.75)

ima get some today. I had Lulu's a couple days ago for the first time. I tried to get Lulu's over the summer but the line was crazy....

Towlie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So that shooting at DaBaby’s video shoot happened down the street from my hood:mjlol:

I didnt realize till later on. That hood car detail shop across from Advanced Auto Parts and Dollar General off Sugar Creek:russ:

shyt wild down here

I saw a post on next door about it when it happened.

there's been a couple murders in Derita lately

Daps
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article246070390.html

Chef’s Kitchen is opening this week near Lake Wylie with an upscale fusion menu
By Laurie Larsh

September 29, 2020 11:58 AM
Ribeye%20Steak,%20Chicken%20Marsala%20and%20Chicken%20Piccata%20pictured%20here,%20are%20some%20of%20the%20non-seafood%20dishes%20featured%20on%20the%20menu%20at%20Chef%E2%80%99s%20Kitchen.%20Courtesy%20of%20Anthony%20Smith.%20.jpg

The Chicken Piccata at Chef’s Kitchen is served with roasted potatoes and asparagus for $20. Courtesy of Anthony Smith
Chef Anthony Smith and Chef Taylor Bishop will open the doors to Chef’s Kitchen near Lake Wylie on Oct. 1. Starting at 11 a.m., the new Clover, South Carolina, restaurant and banquet facility will begin serving patrons in their indoor and outdoor spaces for brunch, lunch and dinner. The space was formerly occupied by The Cove and prior to that, River Rat.

To celebrate the grand opening, there will be a DJ playing on Oct. 2. The festivities will take place on the patio from 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Reservations can be made using OpenTable.

“I never thought we’d be opening a restaurant. This is a dream come true,” Bishop said.

Chefs%20Smith%20and%20Bishop%20are%20partners%20in%20Chef%E2%80%99s%20Kitchen%20in%20South%20End%20as%20well%20as%20the%20new%20Lake%20Wylie%20location.%20Courtesy%20of%20Anthony%20Smith.%20.jpg

Chefs Anthony Smith and Taylor Bishop are partners in Chef’s Kitchen in South End, as well as the new location in South Carolina. Courtesy of Anthony Smith
“I can’t wait to open,” Smith said. “I’m very anxious.” This location complements the duo’s South End Chef’s Kitchen space, which offers catering and takeout.

Today’s top headlines
Sign up for Afternoon Headlines and get the day’s biggest stories in your inbox.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

As for the menu, think upscale fusion with hints of American, Southern and Italian inspiration. Entrees start at $18, and seafood lovers will find lobster, crab, shrimp, salmon, crawfish and scallops featured heavily throughout the menu.

The%20Lobster%20and%20Shrimp%20Scampi%20is%20Chef%20Taylor%20Bishop%E2%80%99s%20favorite%20dish.%20Courtesy%20of%20Anthony%20Smith..jpg

The Lobster and Shrimp Scampi, $20, is Chef Taylor Bishop’s favorite dish. It’s tossed with spinach and tomatoes in a lemon herb white wine sauce. Courtesy of Anthony Smith
Here are five menu items that caught our eye:

• Lobster and Crab Cakes — lobster citrus rice with crab cakes and asparagus — recommended by Smith

• Lobster and Shrimp Scampi — linguini, lobster and shrimp tossed with spinach and tomatoes in a lemon herb white wine sauce — recommended by Taylor

• Chicken Piccata — Herb roasted chicken on top of a bed of roasted potatoes and asparagus, drizzled in a white wine, lemon and caper sauce

• Chef’s Ribeye Steak — 14 oz. steak perfectly seasoned and grilled with mashed potatoes and asparagus

• Scallop and Shrimp Caponata — seared scallops and shrimp with sweet potato mash and roasted carrots, topped with a sweet and tangy caper sauce.
Chef%E2%80%99s%20Kitchen%20opens%20Oct.%201%20near%20Lake%20Wylie.%20Courtesy%20of%20Anthony%20Smith.%20.jpg

Chef’s Kitchen opens Oct. 1 near Lake Wylie. Courtesy of Anthony Smith

In addition to the restaurant and banquet space, which features two full bars and a 25-seat patio, Chef’s Kitchen is situated on seven acres of land. Bishop and Smith plan to use this expansive space to host events and chefs tables.

A%20DJ%20will%20play%20on%20Friday%20night%20at%20Chef%E2%80%99s%20Kitchen%20as%20part%20of%20the%20restaurant%E2%80%99s%20grand%20opening.%20Courtesy%20of%20Anthony%20Smith.%20.jpg

A DJ will play on Friday night at Chef’s Kitchen as part of the restaurant’s grand opening. Courtesy of Anthony Smith
Chef’s Kitchen
5301 Highway 557, Clover, SC; and 1422 Winnifred St., Charlotte

Instagram: @chefskitchenclt

Hours: Open Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m.- 10 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays from 11 a.m.- 11 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays will feature a brunch menu (11 a.m.- 4 p.m. on Saturdays and 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. on Sundays).

Daps
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article245916580.html

Fried chicken. Mac and cheese. Ribs. New Southern food truck opens on Freedom Drive.
By Jessica Swannie

September 22, 2020 11:14 AM, Updated September 23, 2020 10:56 AM
willie%20walters.jpg

Willie Walters is the friendly face behind Sandra Lee’s Country Kitchen food truck. Marcus Ross
If COVID-19 left you seeking an endless supply of comfort food, chef Willie Walters is serving exactly what you need.

Walters, a father of four who’s worked in the restaurant industry his whole life, finally branched off to start his own business: Sandra Lee’s Country Kitchen, a food truck slinging delicious Southern cooking. It’s the latest business to open amid the pandemic.

“At the beginning of this thing, nobody knew anything about what we were going to do and where we were going to go with it,” Walters said. “But I sat back and looked at it: Even though we’re going through a pandemic, people still have to eat. Food trucks are booming, especially with the restaurants being down.”

While the restaurant industry as a whole has taken a hit, food trucks have pivoted to continue to serve customers amid the uncertainty.

Walters originally planned to host the grand opening of Sandra Lee’s Country Kitchen on Sept. 12, but decided to move it to Sept. 26 to take additional COVID-19 safety precautions.

“It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a long time,” Walters said.

IMG_0171.JPG

Walters has perfected his fried chicken recipe, which he originally learned from his mother, Sandra Lee Walters. Courtesy of Willie Walters
Walters’ initial dream was to open a restaurant, but once he did some digging — and COVID-19 continued to hurt the service industry in Charlotte and beyond — he realized the overhead was more than he wanted to spend starting out.

“So the idea came to me for a food truck,” he said. “I did research and found out the overhead was low. It really depends on your product and your work ethic on whether you can make it with a food truck.”

Originally, Walters planned to name the truck Willie D’s Country Cooking, the namesake of his catering company. Instead, he decided to name it after his late mother, Sandra Lee Walters. Now, you can enjoy homemade recipes at Sandra Lee’s Country Kitchen food truck on Freedom Drive in a space with picnic benches and oak trees, which offer shade from the hot Carolina sun.

“It’s going to give you the country feel,” Walters said. “We have some big logs cut up where you can sit while you wait on your meal. We also have a big oak stump that we’re going to glaze and make into a game board so you can play checkers.”

Inspired by mom’s recipes
Walters’ love of cooking grew out of necessity. Born in a small town outside of North Myrtle Beach called Loris, SC, he was the oldest of 11 children, so he took on most of the household cooking and chores to support the family.

“I was forced to learn quickly,” Walters said. “We were poor, and the main source of income was working on the farm, gathering tobacco, sweet potatoes and soybeans. It was the hardest work I’ve ever done in my life, but it made me strong. We had to pull together to make it happen.”

brandon%20walters.jpg

Willie Walters’ son, Brandon Walters, is also part of the food truck team. Courtesy of Willie Walters
Walters’ mother first taught him how to cook.

“She had me cooking in the kitchen on a five-gallon bucket when I was about 9 years old,” Walters said. “I started early. But she’d go out there in the field and do her thing to take care of us. I took care of my brothers and sisters by cooking. I wanted to have the meals ready and the house cleaned by the time mother got off of work.”

The first meal Walters cooked was fried chicken, sweet peas and rice.

“I remember my chicken was not quite done. Mother told me what I did wrong, and I learned. The older I got, the better I got with it, and it kinda stuck with me,” Walters said.

Walters’ first job was at Shorty’s Grill in Loris, which he described as a space reminiscent of “Happy Days,” complete with a pool hall. From there, he worked as a cook in hotels across Myrtle Beach before moving to Charlotte in 2011, where he worked as a cook at a luxury hotel. In 2017, he decided it was time to become his own boss and began his own catering company, Willie D’s Country Cooking.

“Everything else just kind of started falling into place after that,” Walters said.

IMG_0172.JPG

Expect Southern favorites smothered in barbecue sauce at Sandra Lee’s Country Kitchen. Courtesy of Willie Walters
He learned that friends from his hometown had given up on their food truck, and he decided to take a chance on yet another dream.

Now, you can order homestyle favorites from the window of Sandra Lee’s Country Kitchen, where Walters and his family will serve you with a smile.

“Our specialty is going to be good country cookin’,” Walters said.

For signature items, you can expect Sandra Lee’s homemade biscuits and homemade chicken bog recipe, which happens to be the dish famous in Walters’ hometown. The team will also have pork chops, chitlins, ribs, shrimp and grits, barbecue mac and cheese (seriously, the best you will ever have), collard greens and fried chicken.

“We’re going to make a statement on that fried chicken,” Walters said.

Southern cooking and social distancing
Amid restaurant closures and limited seating, food trucks have thrived, bringing comfort food to hungry patrons around the city.

To ensure the safety of all customers, Walters and the team will require all patrons to wear a mask. If you don’t have one, one will be provided, and you won’t be able to obtain service without it. Walters also asks that you engage in social distancing and use hand sanitizer, which will be available at the food truck site.

Sandra Lee’s Country Kitchen
3416 Freedom Drive

Hours: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday

Instagram: @sandraleescountrykitchen

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn

symphony-1-102x102.jpg

Whiting Samwich ($6.85)

Skrimp Po’ Boy ($9.75)

Wow... Turns out they got a location in Durham... I'm gonna have to check them out.

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
Tried this today. Good food. Brand new location, so brand new they don't yet have their liquor license.

They run brunch until like 3pm on Saturdays and Sundays. My lady and i are gonna try it again later when the alcohol is in and doing dinner menu.