The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Daps
Another!? Food Truck debuts with Dirty Mac, Not Your Daddy's Ribs and more - Q City Metro

Another!? Food Truck debuts with Dirty Mac, Not Your Daddy’s Ribs and more
Chef Anthony Denning returns with a new concept and menu. He was one of three chefs behind the former 225 Street Food truck.
Another-Food-Truck-Anthony-Denning-Kristen-Bandoo.jpeg

Chef Anthony Denning with his fiancee and business partner, Kristen Bandoo, inside Another!? Food Truck. Photo: QCity Metro
By Katrina Louis
September 2, 2020
One of Charlotte’s latest meals on wheels has a name so simple, it’s actually hard to forget.

Another!? Food Truck began service Friday and co-owner/chef Anthony Denning is delivering creativity, personality and complexity that he hopes to set him apart.

“It’s like a breath of fresh air with a new menu and new concept,” he told QCity Metro the day after the grand opening.

The 27-year-old was one of three chefs behind the global food-inspired 225 Street Food. Denning took over and rebranded the food truck alongside his fiancee and business partner, Kristen Bandoo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEcyDV0JVtl/
A post shared by Formerly 225 Street Food (@anotherfoodtruck)
on Aug 28, 2020 at 3:27pm PDT

QCity Metro thanks its sponsors. Become One.

On the menu
It’s comfort food with a modern, Southern twist. Items range from $3 to $12.

A sample of the initial menu includes

• Dirty Mac (macaroni and cheese with braised beef, collard greens, the signature Average sauce — think Southern-style Polynesian barbecue sauce — topped with cornbread crumble)
  • Hot Chicken Smash (grilled cheese-style sandwich with grilled chicken breast, Monterey Jack cheese, house pickles, house-made herb ranch and crispy onions)
  • Carolina Patriot (Carolina-style shrimp roll with Carolina slaw and Average sauce served on a New England-style roll)
Another-Food-Truck-dirty-mac-1024x682.jpg

Dirty Mac. Photo: Poetical Productions Photos
Another-Food-Truck-hot-chicken-smash-1024x682.jpg

Hot Chicken Smash. Photo: Poetical Productions Photos
Another-Food-Truck-Carolina-Patriot-1024x683.jpg

Carolina Patriot. Photo: Poetical Productions Photos
Denning says his favorite item on the menu is the Not Your Daddy’s Ribs, served with a dry rub or the Average sauce. Customers will have to order early to get a taste since Denning says these will be limited.

Another-Food-Truck-Ribs-e1599046549370.jpeg

Not Your Daddy’s Ribs. Photo courtesy of Anthony Denning
Chef to watch
The Raleigh native moved to Charlotte in 2011 to attend culinary school at the Art Institute of Charlotte. His pursuit of a culinary career was inspired by the time he spent cooking with his grandfather.

In 2018, he started 225 Street Food with two former business partners. Earlier this year, Soul Food Sessions — the popular collective of Black culinary professionals — showcased Denning alongside a group of his peers during the Young Gunz dinner. The evening featured up-and-coming chefs and mixologists. Bandoo’s Puerto Rican heritage was the muse for his alcapurrias dish, fritters served with beet black garlic salsa and a root leaf salad with a sazon vinaigrette.

Where to get Another!? Food Truck?
The duo is looking forward to popping up in neighborhoods across Charlotte and surrounding areas. Follow Another!? Food Truck on Instagram for the latest schedule. Times and locations will be announced every Sunday by 5 p.m.

See the full menu here.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Franchisees set to open gourmet hot dog eatery in University City - Q City Metro

Franchisees set to open gourmet hot dog eatery in University City
Local family expands The Original Hot Dog Factory into Charlotte. The restaurant chain became popular after features on "The Real Housewives of Atlanta."
Original-Hot-Dog-Factory-Charlotte.jpg

A family affair: Anthony Hailey, Sherod McNealy and Michael Hailey will open Charlotte's first location of the Original Hot Dog Factory in the fall. Photo: QCity Metro
By Katrina Louis
August 24, 2020

Hot dog lovers can soon indulge in a selection of gourmet hot dogs when The Original Hot Dog Factory expands into Charlotte this fall.

The Georgia-based restaurant chain, featuring over 20 specialty hot dogs, originally opened in 2010 and rebranded in 2015. It gained popularity after appearances on Bravo’s “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” TV series. Company owner Dennis McKinley is engaged to cast member Porsha Williams.

Brothers Michael and Anthony Hailey bought into the franchise earlier this year and included nephew Sherod McNealy as owner/operator. No one could predict the coronavirus impact, but the Charlotte natives say they have a better understanding of how to operate in the hard-hit hospitality industry.

“The one thing about opening in the pandemic as opposed to being open when the pandemic hit is that we have a plan to operate from the beginning,” said Anthony, the self-proclaimed hot dog enthusiast. “We know exactly what we need to do and how we need to do things so that we can continue to do business.”

The restaurant is still under construction, but the owners hope to open next month.

On the menu

The Original Hot Dog Factory is known for its extensive selection of hot dogs with nods to regional recipes. In Charlotte, guests can try the Carolina Slaw Dog, a grilled beef hot dog topped with chili and slaw.

Carolina-Slaw-Dog-Original-Hot-Dog-Factory.jpg

The Carolina Slaw Dog will be the signature item on the menu. The grilled beef hot dog comes topped with chili and slaw. Photo courtesy of Sherod McNealy
Sample other tastes from around the country like the Detroit Coney with chili, shredded cheese and chopped onions; the San Francisco Veggie Dog made with Beyond Meat sausage; or the Memphis Dog wrapped in bacon topped with shredded cheese, BBQ sauce and green onions. There’s even a Surf & Turf Dog topped with super lump crab meat.

Surf-Turf-Dog-Original-Hot-Dog-Factory.jpg

Surf & Turf Dog topped with lump crab meat, lettuce, tomatoes and Try Me sauce. Photo courtesy of Sherod McNealy
San-Francisco-Veggie-Dog-Original-Hot-Dog-Factory-1024x683.jpg

San Francisco Veggie Dog – Beyond Meat sausage with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and brown mustard. Photo courtesy of Sherod McNealy
Coming to the Factory but don’t want a hot dog? No worries. There are burgers, wings and fries also on the menu.

First shop but not the last
The restaurant is located at 9211 N. Tryon Street, Suite 9, in the Mallard Pointe shopping plaza. It’s situated across the street from UNC Charlotte and steps away from the Boardwalk.

The family did a multi-store deal, so the University City store won’t be the only Charlotte footprint. They’re already eyeing the Pineville area and considering a mall location.

“Our demographic is anyone that will eat a hot dog,” Anthony said.

All-American-Original-Hot-Dog-Factory.jpg

The All American hot dog at the Original Hot Dog Factory.
Got to check them out! Hopefully they’re better than JJ’s Red Hots smh. Straight white man hot dogs lol. Thank y’all for blessing the thread:salute: I’ve tried a lot of stuff just off these posts.

Daps
Behind the scenes with this Charlotte microbiologist who created a food delivery service - Q City Metro

Behind the scenes with this Charlotte microbiologist who created a food delivery service

During a time when public health is top of mind, TakeNow Delivery is adding a bit of science to ensure food safety.
Samuel-Hanna-TakeNow-Delivery-1.jpg

Samuel Hanna established TakeNow Delivery nearly a decade ago. His first partnership was a small restaurant off of Nations Ford Road. Now, he works with over 200 restaurants and caterers. Photo courtesy of Samuel Hanna

By Sabrina Clark
August 3, 2020

Living under North Carolina’s “Safer at Home” ordinance in response to the coronavirus pandemic has slowed dine-in visits to most local restaurants. The use of food delivery services is conveniently connecting residents to some of their favorite eateries. During a time when public health is top of mind, TakeNow Delivery is adding a bit of science to ensure food safety.

Local microbiologist-turned-entrepreneur Samuel Hanna is the man behind the Charlotte-based food delivery service established nearly a decade ago. TakeNow distinguished itself by using double-insulated bags that keeps food warm up to 45 minutes. Hanna says that’s three times longer than the length of time food stays hot in a typical delivery bag.

“As a microbiologist, it’s hard for people initially to make that connection [between food and science],” Hanna shared. “For myself, I’ve seen where my science background definitely helped out. When I was sourcing to design the bags, there were certain qualities I knew they should have to help with food quality.”

His attention to detail doesn’t stop there. Hanna incorporated his love for UNC Chapel Hill — where he earned a master’s degree in epidemiology — to develop and maintain a team of “mobile food waiters.” They arrive at your door dressed in the company’s equivalent of a uniform: a combination of a collared Carolina blue shirt, khaki pants, and, depending on their level of tenure with the agency, an apron.

The dress code idea stems from an unfortunate assault experience. During undergrad at UNC Charlotte, Hanna was mugged, along with a pizza delivery driver, by two attackers while visiting his then-girlfriend’s apartment. He never forgot the incident and knew that the customer’s ability to easily identify his team would add a sense of safety.

As for business operations, Hanna gleaned lessons from childhood observations of his parents as they operated the family’s seafood delivery company in his native Florence, South Carolina.

“We’re a little different than what people expect from food delivery,” Hanna said, reflecting on his journey. “When I started in this industry, food delivery was not a well-understood concept, so you had to be fairly creative and imaginative about what a food company could be…there were no boundaries.”

The formula has served him well. TakeNow gradually expanded its services to include contract deliveries for over 200 restaurants and caterers within the Southeast, online marketing options for a host of restaurant partners, and vendor opportunities with the City of Charlotte.

TakeNow-Delivery-PopBar-1024x682.jpg

PopBar Charlotte co-owner Kia Lyons (left) with TakeNow Delivery founder Samuel Hanna. PopBar recently signed on as a restaurant vendor with TakeNow. Photo: QCity Metro
As a small business that employs four backend staff and a dozen drivers, TakeNow hasn’t been immune to the pandemic’s adverse economic impact.

“We are blessed as a company to continue most of our operations, but a lot of our partnerships with employers in Charlotte have stalled out,” he explained. “Many of the things that companies would do for their employees — events, catering, etc. — that was an area we’ve grown over the years that looks different now that so many are working from home.”

He’s adjusted by adding a video marketing arm to his business, designed to help members of the food industry broaden their customer base.

Hanna described his marketing philosophy:

“I try to look at it from my perspective. I’m very regimented about the food I eat, and it usually takes quite a bit for me to try a new place. If I’m a customer, I’d like to know something about the inside of the restaurants, the owners, the management team, maybe their favorite dishes so I know what to order the first time. We’re trying to bridge that gap for our restaurant partners.”

Having benefited from the support of many along his journey, including local entities like Mechanics & Farmers Bank and the Women’s Business Center of Charlotte, Hanna believes firmly in leveraging his position for the benefit of others. He’s also emphasizing the importance of collaboration among Black businesses.

“It is important that we show the greater community that our businesses are of value. If we can’t do so, then it is expecting too much for other communities to do it for us.“

While Hanna deeply values all of TakeNow’s partners, he takes particular pride in a newly formed partnership with local favorite PopBar Charlotte. He hopes the relationship blooms into greater representation from other Black-owned restaurants in Charlotte that are willing to partner with TakeNow.

PopBar co-owner Kia Lyons said Hanna fills a unique niche in the food delivery space due to his commitment to the community and connections within the government and corporate sectors.

“He gets a lot of things with the city and brings his customers in to fulfill those orders,” she said. “Anytime you have an opportunity to work with another Black business, support each other, and spread the word for others — I think we should always do that. You have to have a network of people that you support and that support you.”

To his colleagues of color within the food industry, Hanna has a broader message. “I would encourage everyone to let go of what you knew pre-Covid and the current social movement. I even tell my employees: let’s take the opportunity to put yourself out there, adapt, be responsive to the current environment, and know that there are many people of different backgrounds and communities wanting to work with minority businesses.”

More details

Order at takenowfood.com or through the TakeNow Delivery app

Hours of operation:

• Monday through Friday: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Saturday: 3 to 10 p.m.
  • Sunday: 2 to 7 p.m.
Minimum order: $12.99, split-ticket ordering available

Daps
Specialty bakery Jazzy Cheesecakes serves cheesecake in every flavor and form (even inside apples)

Specialty bakery Jazzy Cheesecakes serves cheesecake in every flavor and form (even inside apples)
Gerri-Jazzy-Cheesecakes-e1599700233100.jpg

paige-hopkins-1300-1-102x102.jpg

By Paige Hopkins | September 10, 2020

Baker Gerri Simmons manages three local businesses, has two young kids, and got married during a global pandemic — and yes, she made her own cake.
Through it all, she bakes.

Her main enterprise, Jazzy Cheesecakes, is a specialty bakery near Northlake Mall with dozens of cheesecake varieties and flavors. She bakes most of the cheesecakes herself.

“I love to make it. It’s like therapy for me,” she says. “I probably will always, no matter where it goes, be back in the kitchen baking. I don’t want to get away from that.”

She also owns Cake Depot, a cake and candy supply shop, and an apparel printing company called King and Sky.

Gerri says business at Jazzy’s has been consistent even throughout the pandemic. She says business owners are constantly faced with challenges to be overcome.

“The core of small business is to push through,” Gerri says. “You have to be strong willed to own a business because it’s hard.”

Cheesecake-duo-Jazzys.jpg

Jazzy’s pecan pie cheesecake duo

Gerri started baking as a teenager to cope with the loss of her uncle, Jazzy. He was like a father to her, Gerri says.
The two loved eating no-bake cherry cheesecake together every Thanksgiving.

“He was my inspiration for it all,” she said.

Gerri was still in high school when she started Jazzy Cheesecakes in 2004, four years after Jazzy died in a car accident. She did this all while completing a culinary program at East Mecklenburg High School followed by a degree at Johnson and Wales.

Sixteen years later, Jazzy Cheesecakes is still going strong.

[Related Agenda story: How to support Black-owned businesses in Charlotte]

Jazzy-Cheesecake-desserts.jpg

Inside the North Charlotte bakery, you’ll see a display case full of cheesecakes — strawberry, pecan, and Fruity Pebble. There are non-cheesecake items, too, including pound cakes and cookies.
One of Jazzy’s signature items is the cheesecake-duo: cheesecake with sheet cake layered in between. The bakery also sells cheesecake-stuffed apples with layers of white chocolate on the outside and creamy cheesecake piped into the apple’s core.

This summer, Gerri also started offering festival food like funnel cakes and fried Oreos on Fridays to help fill a void for customers who missed out on state fairs and festivals due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Gerri likes to be creative in adding new variations on her sweets — like a pineapple upside down cake cheesecake duo. But she knows the value of traditional flavors as well, so she always has crowd-favorites like strawberry and red velvet on hand.

For first-time visitors, try a couple of items — at least one cheesecake duo and one classic cheesecake, maybe the strawberry. Also, don’t sleep on the sweet potato cheesecake. It’s like a sweet potato cake, not pie, and it’s rich and flavorful. A definite crowd favorite at Jazzy’s.

Pricing: Cheesecake stuffed apples are $7.99. Cheesecake duos start at $6.50. Other items like individual cake pops, brownies, and slices of dessert cake range from $2-$3. Full cakes start around $30.

Location: 9402 Northlake West Dr., Ste. 102. Open seven days a week.

Jazzys-cheesecake-stuffed-apple.jpg

Jazzy’s cheesecake stuffed apple

Jazzys-sweet-potatoe-cheesecake.jpg

Jazzy’s sweet potato cheesecake

Jazzys-funnel-cake.jpg

Jazzy’s funnel cake with strawberries, ice cream, and whipped cream

Jazzys-push-pops.jpg

Jazzy’s red velvet push pops

Jazzy-Cheesecakes.jpg

Daps
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-people/article243740892.html

Charlotte Yarn owner is often mistaken as an employee. Why? She’s not elderly or white
By Kadee Blakely

June 29, 2020 11:45 AM

CLT_Remi_Haygood_yarn-00247

Remi Haygood is the owner of Charlotte Yarn in Dilworth. Alex Cason CharlotteFive
Nearly 15 years ago, Remi Haygood was a piece of fabric in the cloth of corporate America. She worked for a bank in Charlotte, but it wasn’t entirely fulfilling.

“I was tired of corporate America and wanted to do something on my own,” Haygood said.

The spark to move on to the next thing came in 2005 from a friend whose godmother worked for the owner of a local business off Selwyn Avenue called Charlotte Yarn. She had been the owner for some time, but suddenly the owner was ready to sell the shop.

Yarn, or the “Fiber Community” as Haygood puts it, wasn’t entirely foreign to her at the time. She started learning how to knit and crochet (she’s partial to the knitting) because it provided a therapeutic release from her stressful corporate job and gave her a break from the long stretches at her computer. At the time, knitting was gaining traction with younger crowds as opposed to being an activity favored only by sweet-natured grannies.

“It’s really not, it’s really a misconception,” said Haygood about the stereotype. Tired of her routine, Haygood decided she would leave her corporate life behind and pursue ownership of Charlotte Yarn. She and her then-husband talked to the owner and worked out the details, and Charlotte Yarn became her very own.

“I didn’t grow up thinking I would own a yarn store. It just fell into place. I just knew I wanted to do something more than work for corporate America [and] I said, ‘OK, why not this business?” Haygood said of her decision to jump into entrepreneurship with both feet.

CLT_Remi_Haygood_yarn-2753

Charlotte Yarn has balls, skeins and hanks of yarn in a variety of colors and lengths. The store is located in the Dilworth neighborhood in Charlotte, NC. Alex Cason CharlotteFive
Ownership wasn’t without its challenges in those early days, though.

“I had never worked retail, so just learning the cash register was difficult,” Haygood said, adding that she also had to learn how to manage a staff.

It turns out, the staffing aspect would become one of the best parts. Eventually, employees became like family, especially during tough times.

“[While] I was going through my divorce, my employee actually lost her husband and we leaned on each other for a lot. They don’t know where they’d be without the yarn store and the people that are united by it.”

There was also the challenge of not fitting the stereotype.

On more than one occasion, sales representatives have entered the shop and told Haygood, who is Black, that they came to see the owner. When she replies that she is the owner, she’s met with a look of surprise.

CLT_Remi_Haygood_yarn-2769

Charlotte Yarn in Dilworth has an array of knitted goods including scarves, sweaters, belts, cowls and hats. Alex Cason CharlotteFive
“It’s the [stereotype] of being an older white woman – not realizing that I was the new owner or could be an owner” she said. “I try to brush it off and laugh about it. I don’t fit that box.”

Customers also occasionally make the mistake of assuming Haygood is an employee.

“A lot of times people would take a class and say they loved it. [My employee] Sandy tells them to tell the owner about it. They automatically think because she’s older and white that she’s the owner,” she said.

CLT_Remi_Haygood_yarn-00254

Colorful hanks of yarn are strewn about Remy Haygood’s Charlotte Yarn store in Dilworth. Alex Cason CharlotteFive
When this happens, she waves politely from across the floor. According to Haygood, who is 47 years old, they’ll often respond, “You look too young to be the owner.”

According to the Annual State of Women-Owned Businesses Report, commissioned by American Express in 2019, “U.S. women with diverse ethic and geographic backgrounds started an average of 1,817 new businesses per day in the U.S. between 2018 and 2019, down only slightly from the record-setting 2018 number of 1,821.”

The annual report, based on U.S. Census Bureau data adjusted by Gross Domestic Product, further revealed that, “While the number of women-owned businesses grew 21% from 2014 to 2019, firms owned by women of color grew an astounding 43%, and African American women-owned firms grew even faster at 50%. African American women-owned businesses represented the highest rate of growth of any group in the number of firms between 2014 and 2019, as well as between 2018 and 2019.”

CLT_Remi_Haygood_yarn-2741

Remi Haygood organizes bundles of yarn at her Dilworth shop Charlotte Yarn. Alex Cason CharlotteFive
As a Black woman in an industry dominated by white women, Haygood acknowledges it can be disappointing when she’s mistaken for an employee.

“Most yarn stores don’t survive. There used to be a lot, and I’ve survived and it’s literally through blood, sweat and tears,” Haygood said.

Read Next
c5-development

100+ Black-owned restaurants and local businesses in Charlotte
February 20, 2020 5:40 AM
Despite the challenges, she has nothing but gratitude for the Charlotte area fiber community and all the positivity it’s brought to her.

“It’s given me so many rewards in my life,” Haygood said of her craft. “[The fiber community] is wonderful. People wouldn’t know [it exists], but they’re supportive, they’re fun.”

And when it comes to competition between shops, that sense of togetherness is still the priority. Even Haygood’s competitors have promoted Charlotte Yarn as a Black-owned business amid the recent social movement toward exposing and eradicating systemic racism.

“We’re all supportive of each other, which I think is wonderful. We’re a community, and it’s about helping all of us.”Like many businesses, Charlotte Yarn was also impacted by the recent COVID-19 pandemic but since reopening, business is resuming a sense of normalcy.

CLT_Remi_Haygood_yarn-00248

Remi Haygood’s Charlotte Yarn store in Dilworth carries balls and skeins of yarn of every color imaginable. Alex Cason CharlotteFive
“We’re slowly going back to classes but on a smaller scale,” Haygood said. And while there’s currently no “knit-and-sit,” where customers sit around the big tables in Haygood’s store chit-chatting and working on their projects, Haygood looks forward to reconnecting with the community that means so much to her.

“A lot of my customers are my friends now. The shop has created a support system for me,” she said.

The love of her customers has been a secret ingredient from the start, and the community it’s created has been fuel for overcoming challenges.

“That’s what kept me going — I had a dream. I envisioned the store being more than what it was,” Haygood said of its progression.

In the years that have passed since she took over Charlotte Yarn, now located in the Kenilworth Commons Shopping Center, Haygood has had plenty of time to reflect on her mission and intent with the business.

“I don’t ever want to quit,” Haygood said. “And I think it’s because it’s a part of me, it’s a part of who I am. I’ve made friends, and I see how it’s helped people.”

image0.jpeg

Remi Haygood’s daughter, Ava, has grown up in Charlotte Yarn. Courtesy of Remi Haygood CharlotteFive
Charlotte Yarn is also a testament to Haygood’s perseverance — something she sees as necessary for delivering dreams to fruition.

“I want people to realize that without risk, there is no reward. I never gave up. Almost 16 years later, and I never gave up.”

Haygood maintains this outlook as she plans for future endeavors. Haygood is now a co-founder of Coolvio – a new company that specializes in technology apparel for animals that helps protect them from the sun’s heat and harmful UV rays. It’s another exciting venture for Haygood, who is again ready to jump in with both feet.

“I am a risk-taker. I believe you have to take risks in life,” she said. “I’m going to put my heart and soul into anything I do.”

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
Hoping yall can help me out. Wife and I are considering moving to Charlotte in a few years. We’ve both been there a few times and liked the vibe. Kinda reminds us of a Midwestern city but with southern vibes and better weather. Could be wrong though. Anyways we dont have people there or anything so we don’t know much about the neighborhoods or where to even look as a potential place to move to. What neighborhoods, sides, burbs, etc should we be looking in? For context at that point we’ll have 7 or 8 yr old twin boys so schools matter. We make pretty good money but we’re not wealthy and neither of us is trying to live in the hood. For example we live at the end of a cul de sac in a nice neighborhood now but its a little too quiet for me as its basically a suburb with a city address. Idk anything yall can point me to is helpful

Waldo Geraldo Faldo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cloud
Hoping yall can help me out. Wife and I are considering moving to Charlotte in a few years. We’ve both been there a few times and liked the vibe. Kinda reminds us of a Midwestern city but with southern vibes and better weather. Could be wrong though. Anyways we dont have people there or anything so we don’t know much about the neighborhoods or where to even look as a potential place to move to. What neighborhoods, sides, burbs, etc should we be looking in? For context at that point we’ll have 7 or 8 yr old twin boys so schools matter. We make pretty good money but we’re not wealthy and neither of us is trying to live in the hood. For example we live at the end of a cul de sac in a nice neighborhood now but its a little too quiet for me as its basically a suburb with a city address. Idk anything yall can point me to is helpful
I’m in the same position as you.
  • Moving to CLT soon.
  • Kids around the same age
  • Household income
  • Living aspirations
Give me some time, I’m in transit right now. But I can post my findings to see if it helps

TRY GOD

BOTH SIDES.
Daps
Reppin
GOD

Gerri-Jazzy-Cheesecakes-e1599700233100.jpg

paige-hopkins-1300-1-102x102.jpg

By Paige Hopkins | September 10, 2020

Baker Gerri Simmons manages three local businesses, has two young kids, and got married during a global pandemic — and yes, she made her own cake.
Through it all, she bakes.

Her main enterprise, Jazzy Cheesecakes, is a specialty bakery near Northlake Mall with dozens of cheesecake varieties and flavors. She bakes most of the cheesecakes herself.

“I love to make it. It’s like therapy for me,” she says. “I probably will always, no matter where it goes, be back in the kitchen baking. I don’t want to get away from that.”

She also owns Cake Depot, a cake and candy supply shop, and an apparel printing company called King and Sky.

Gerri says business at Jazzy’s has been consistent even throughout the pandemic. She says business owners are constantly faced with challenges to be overcome.

“The core of small business is to push through,” Gerri says. “You have to be strong willed to own a business because it’s hard.”

Cheesecake-duo-Jazzys.jpg

Jazzy’s pecan pie cheesecake duo

Gerri started baking as a teenager to cope with the loss of her uncle, Jazzy. He was like a father to her, Gerri says.
The two loved eating no-bake cherry cheesecake together every Thanksgiving.

“He was my inspiration for it all,” she said.

Gerri was still in high school when she started Jazzy Cheesecakes in 2004, four years after Jazzy died in a car accident. She did this all while completing a culinary program at East Mecklenburg High School followed by a degree at Johnson and Wales.

Sixteen years later, Jazzy Cheesecakes is still going strong.

[Related Agenda story: How to support Black-owned businesses in Charlotte]

Jazzy-Cheesecake-desserts.jpg

Inside the North Charlotte bakery, you’ll see a display case full of cheesecakes — strawberry, pecan, and Fruity Pebble. There are non-cheesecake items, too, including pound cakes and cookies.
One of Jazzy’s signature items is the cheesecake-duo: cheesecake with sheet cake layered in between. The bakery also sells cheesecake-stuffed apples with layers of white chocolate on the outside and creamy cheesecake piped into the apple’s core.

This summer, Gerri also started offering festival food like funnel cakes and fried Oreos on Fridays to help fill a void for customers who missed out on state fairs and festivals due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Gerri likes to be creative in adding new variations on her sweets — like a pineapple upside down cake cheesecake duo. But she knows the value of traditional flavors as well, so she always has crowd-favorites like strawberry and red velvet on hand.

For first-time visitors, try a couple of items — at least one cheesecake duo and one classic cheesecake, maybe the strawberry. Also, don’t sleep on the sweet potato cheesecake. It’s like a sweet potato cake, not pie, and it’s rich and flavorful. A definite crowd favorite at Jazzy’s.

Pricing: Cheesecake stuffed apples are $7.99. Cheesecake duos start at $6.50. Other items like individual cake pops, brownies, and slices of dessert cake range from $2-$3. Full cakes start around $30.

Location: 9402 Northlake West Dr., Ste. 102. Open seven days a week.

Jazzys-cheesecake-stuffed-apple.jpg

Jazzy’s cheesecake stuffed apple

Jazzys-sweet-potatoe-cheesecake.jpg

Jazzy’s sweet potato cheesecake

Jazzys-funnel-cake.jpg

Jazzy’s funnel cake with strawberries, ice cream, and whipped cream

Jazzys-push-pops.jpg

Jazzy’s red velvet push pops

Jazzy-Cheesecakes.jpg
I went to high school with her, her father owns mertz downtown if it's still downtown

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Thinking about moving when my lease is up in January.

One thing I noticed about apartments out here

They over charge when it comes to rent. They nickel and dime you for shyt you dont need like valet trash pick up. And they force you into long leases by jacking up the price on short term leases. Cable/internet comes with my apartment but its added on to my rent. So they will advertise an apartment that's $900 a month but you end up paying $1150.

The apartment I'm saying in now is in South Park and is advertised as "luxury" living, but the appliances, fixtures and facade is old as fukk :mjpls:

And the fukking bugs :mindblown: I'm clearing spiderwebs every other week. Random mosquito bites. Cant open my windows or patio door becasue bugs will easily get in.

I might move to uptown. fukk it. I'm a probably end up paying over $1500 - $1600 for a decent spot but so be it.