The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Daps
so my neighbor said it likely wasn't an employee because they are majority black. she said their manager said they were gonna prosecute to the fullest extent of the law

i said it seems like it would be easy to see who did it just roll back the cameras. she said the whole store isnt covered by cameras and some of them are decoys

she said they've encountered racial slurs as employees before.

I was coming in to say exactly that about the employees and the cameras. There may not be camera coverage on the rope because who is really gonna steal rope?

Daps
https://www.wcnc.com/amp/article/mo...osed/275-7762c1f7-733b-456c-acca-fed7432d66a3

Damn it’s crazy How this pandemic is ending businesses.

Queen City Q was a decent spot, before I got into the career of what I do, I had a mentor who I once shadowed as he was doing a job for them there. A photo shoot for their food to update their website and menu.

They legit cooked everything on their menu and then we was able to eat it

It's crazy to me that some businesses have been open for a lot of years but haven't saved emergency money to last a couple of months. I watched a news report about some lady, not in North Carolina but in some state that opened back up early, who had been in business for 25 years but she couldn't even last a month being closed.

Daps
GUIDE: 25 Black-Owned Restaurants and Dessert Shops in Charlotte - Charlotte Magazine

GUIDE: 25 Black-Owned Restaurants and Dessert Shops in Charlotte
Spots range from longtime favorites to 2020 newcomers
June 3, 2020
Taylor Bowler
03_12_20_leahlouise_1681-1.jpg

Smoked lamb rib at Leah & Louise. Photo by Peter Taylor.
Leah & Louise
301 Camp Rd. (Camp North End)
The Memphis-style juke joint is third concept from husband-and-wife team Greg and Subrina Collier and the first restaurant to open in Camp North End. Greg, the James Beard-nominated chef and Soul Food Sessions co-founder, serves soul food he grew up on in Memphis.

Uptown Yolk
224 E. 7th St. (inside 7th Street Public Market)
The Collier’s breakfast-focused uptown spot serves cheesy grits, fried chicken sandwiches, and 17 other options that are good any time of day.

Mama Gee’s
509 Beatties Ford Rd.
This take-out-only spot is owned and operated by a Ghanan family, so it’s the most authentic jollof rice and tomato stew you’ll get outside of West Africa.

Mert’s Heart & Soul
214 N. College St.
This uptown eatery is where you take Mom and Dad when they’re in town. Mert’s housemade seasonings set the “Southern Fried Chicken” here apart, alongside its cornbread (and two other sides) that accompanies it.

1501 South Mint
1501 S. Mint St.
The bodega’s on-site food truck focuses on street food reminiscent of the owner’s Dominican heritage and childhood in the Bronx. Get corn tortillas loaded with carne asada, carnitas, or chicken—so much meat that every taco comes with a fork to scoop up the leftovers.

BW Sweets Bakery
5821 E. W.T. Harris Blvd.
The dessert bar is full of grab-and-go goodies like brownies, donuts, and 16 flavors of cake slices. There are whole cakes, too, if you have a crowd at home and a special occasion.

Popbar Charlotte
3123 N. Davidson St., Ste. 102B
Customize your own gelato, yogurt, or sorbet popsicle with drippings and toppings at Kia and Clarence Lyons’ counter-serve spot in NoDa.

The mitin shiro wat, a traditional Ethiopian dish with berbere spices, at Abugida. Photo by Peter Taylor.

Abugida
3007 Central Ave.
Yodite Tesafye and her brother Zemaf serve Ehtipian food in this Plaza Midwood spot. Find the city’s best injera, a spongy flatbread made from teff flour.

Caribbean Hut
9609 N. Tryon St., 200 W. Woodlawn Rd.
Get a true taste of the islands with the curry goat, or stay in more familiar territory with the jerk chicken, blackened with spices.

Soul Central
2903 Central Ave.
Order from a rotating daily menu of soul food at this tiny counter-serve joint. Owners Joe and Kathleen, originally from Trinidad and Tobago, put an island twist on traditional Southern fare.

Bedder, Bedder & Moore
3501 South Tryon St.
This uptown deli bakes their own bread daily, builds salads to order, and makes all of their soups from scratch.

Cuzzo’s Cuisine
3418 Tuckaseegee Rd.
This no-frills eatery, owned by cousins Andarrio Johnson and Anglee Brown, serves seafood, wings, and their famous lobster mac ‘n cheese.

Many of the recipes at Freshwaters are family recipes. Photo by Peter Taylor.

Freshwaters
516 N. Graham St.
Owners Sharon and Cliff Freshwaters serve crab cakes, cornbread, and their best seller, the blackened Cajun catfish.

La’Wan’s Soul Food Restaurant
7520 S. Tryon St., Ste. 19
Charlotte Hornets and Carolina Panthers players frequent this spot for the fried chicken, catfish dinner, and smothered pork chops.

LuLu’s Maryland-Style Chicken and Seafood
2400 Tuckaseegee Rd.
The name, LuLu’s, is a nod to owner Jay Davis’s mother, and the Baltimore native makes the best (and only) Maryland-style crab cake in Charlotte.

Members Only
2413 Central Ave.
Get local craft beers, grab-and-go bottles of wine, and specialty cocktails including The Members Only, Luc Belaire sparkling wine topped with cotton candy. Owner Kimberly Wilkinson also opened Juice Box Charlotte in NoDa in November 2017.

Juice Box Charlotte
3100 Davidson St., Ste. 101
Johnson C. Smith University grad Kimberly Wilkinson owns this natural juice bar and wellness shop that serves cold press juices and smoothies, plus an assortment of CBD products.

Queen’s Coffee Bar
1720 Pegram St.
Raina Purvis’s Belmont coffee shop also serves kombucha, and ginger beer, as well as bagels, muffins, and ice cream.

Sage Restaurant and Lounge
505 E. 6th St.
Get upscale soul food like collard green eggrolls and chicken and waffles at this First Ward restaurant, lounge, and loft.

Anntony’s Caribbean Cafe
2001 E 7th St.
Dr. Tony Martin, a native of Guyana and owner of Anntony’s, says the oxtails remind him most of home, but the quarter chicken and island wings are the most popular items on the menu.

Seafood Connection
630 University Center Blvd.
Chef Jamie Walker fills to-go boxes with seafood smothered with his blend of butter and secret seasonings. Stop by for brunch and feast on shrimp or salmon tacos, shrimp and grits, or lobster and waffles.

STATS Restaurant and Bar
3425 David Cox Rd.
Get upscale bar food like buffalo chicken empanadas and crab grilled cheese sandwiches at this sports bar and lounge hybrid.

People stand in line in 35-degree weather for baskets of loaded fries at the popular What the Fries food truck. Photo by Peter Taylor.

What the Fries
Food Truck / various locations
Founders Jamie Barnes and Gregory Williams serve burgers, too, but with toppings like lobster mac and cheese and steak and shrimp hibachi fry, a basket of fries counts as a solid meal.

Veltree
7945 N. Tryon St., Ste. 110
Chef Velvet has cornered the market on vegan soul food with plant-based versions of chicken drumsticks and chicken and waffles.

Burney’s Sweets & More
1200 N. Davidson St., 318 E. South Main St.
Kimberly Johnson owns the uptown and Waxhaw locations of this Elizabeth-based bakery that’s known for its fried stuffed croissants.

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
y'all know any decent apartments for around $1100/month in Charlotte?

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
GUIDE: 25 Black-Owned Restaurants and Dessert Shops in Charlotte - Charlotte Magazine

GUIDE: 25 Black-Owned Restaurants and Dessert Shops in Charlotte
Spots range from longtime favorites to 2020 newcomers
June 3, 2020
Taylor Bowler
03_12_20_leahlouise_1681-1.jpg

Smoked lamb rib at Leah & Louise. Photo by Peter Taylor.
Leah & Louise
301 Camp Rd. (Camp North End)
The Memphis-style juke joint is third concept from husband-and-wife team Greg and Subrina Collier and the first restaurant to open in Camp North End. Greg, the James Beard-nominated chef and Soul Food Sessions co-founder, serves soul food he grew up on in Memphis.

Uptown Yolk
224 E. 7th St. (inside 7th Street Public Market)
The Collier’s breakfast-focused uptown spot serves cheesy grits, fried chicken sandwiches, and 17 other options that are good any time of day.

Mama Gee’s
509 Beatties Ford Rd.
This take-out-only spot is owned and operated by a Ghanan family, so it’s the most authentic jollof rice and tomato stew you’ll get outside of West Africa.

Mert’s Heart & Soul
214 N. College St.
This uptown eatery is where you take Mom and Dad when they’re in town. Mert’s housemade seasonings set the “Southern Fried Chicken” here apart, alongside its cornbread (and two other sides) that accompanies it.

1501 South Mint
1501 S. Mint St.
The bodega’s on-site food truck focuses on street food reminiscent of the owner’s Dominican heritage and childhood in the Bronx. Get corn tortillas loaded with carne asada, carnitas, or chicken—so much meat that every taco comes with a fork to scoop up the leftovers.

BW Sweets Bakery
5821 E. W.T. Harris Blvd.
The dessert bar is full of grab-and-go goodies like brownies, donuts, and 16 flavors of cake slices. There are whole cakes, too, if you have a crowd at home and a special occasion.

Popbar Charlotte
3123 N. Davidson St., Ste. 102B
Customize your own gelato, yogurt, or sorbet popsicle with drippings and toppings at Kia and Clarence Lyons’ counter-serve spot in NoDa.

The mitin shiro wat, a traditional Ethiopian dish with berbere spices, at Abugida. Photo by Peter Taylor.

Abugida
3007 Central Ave.
Yodite Tesafye and her brother Zemaf serve Ehtipian food in this Plaza Midwood spot. Find the city’s best injera, a spongy flatbread made from teff flour.

Caribbean Hut
9609 N. Tryon St., 200 W. Woodlawn Rd.
Get a true taste of the islands with the curry goat, or stay in more familiar territory with the jerk chicken, blackened with spices.

Soul Central
2903 Central Ave.
Order from a rotating daily menu of soul food at this tiny counter-serve joint. Owners Joe and Kathleen, originally from Trinidad and Tobago, put an island twist on traditional Southern fare.

Bedder, Bedder & Moore
3501 South Tryon St.
This uptown deli bakes their own bread daily, builds salads to order, and makes all of their soups from scratch.

Cuzzo’s Cuisine
3418 Tuckaseegee Rd.
This no-frills eatery, owned by cousins Andarrio Johnson and Anglee Brown, serves seafood, wings, and their famous lobster mac ‘n cheese.

Many of the recipes at Freshwaters are family recipes. Photo by Peter Taylor.

Freshwaters
516 N. Graham St.
Owners Sharon and Cliff Freshwaters serve crab cakes, cornbread, and their best seller, the blackened Cajun catfish.

La’Wan’s Soul Food Restaurant
7520 S. Tryon St., Ste. 19
Charlotte Hornets and Carolina Panthers players frequent this spot for the fried chicken, catfish dinner, and smothered pork chops.

LuLu’s Maryland-Style Chicken and Seafood
2400 Tuckaseegee Rd.
The name, LuLu’s, is a nod to owner Jay Davis’s mother, and the Baltimore native makes the best (and only) Maryland-style crab cake in Charlotte.

Members Only
2413 Central Ave.
Get local craft beers, grab-and-go bottles of wine, and specialty cocktails including The Members Only, Luc Belaire sparkling wine topped with cotton candy. Owner Kimberly Wilkinson also opened Juice Box Charlotte in NoDa in November 2017.

Juice Box Charlotte
3100 Davidson St., Ste. 101
Johnson C. Smith University grad Kimberly Wilkinson owns this natural juice bar and wellness shop that serves cold press juices and smoothies, plus an assortment of CBD products.

Queen’s Coffee Bar
1720 Pegram St.
Raina Purvis’s Belmont coffee shop also serves kombucha, and ginger beer, as well as bagels, muffins, and ice cream.

Sage Restaurant and Lounge
505 E. 6th St.
Get upscale soul food like collard green eggrolls and chicken and waffles at this First Ward restaurant, lounge, and loft.

Anntony’s Caribbean Cafe
2001 E 7th St.
Dr. Tony Martin, a native of Guyana and owner of Anntony’s, says the oxtails remind him most of home, but the quarter chicken and island wings are the most popular items on the menu.

Seafood Connection
630 University Center Blvd.
Chef Jamie Walker fills to-go boxes with seafood smothered with his blend of butter and secret seasonings. Stop by for brunch and feast on shrimp or salmon tacos, shrimp and grits, or lobster and waffles.

STATS Restaurant and Bar
3425 David Cox Rd.
Get upscale bar food like buffalo chicken empanadas and crab grilled cheese sandwiches at this sports bar and lounge hybrid.

People stand in line in 35-degree weather for baskets of loaded fries at the popular What the Fries food truck. Photo by Peter Taylor.

What the Fries
Food Truck / various locations
Founders Jamie Barnes and Gregory Williams serve burgers, too, but with toppings like lobster mac and cheese and steak and shrimp hibachi fry, a basket of fries counts as a solid meal.

Veltree
7945 N. Tryon St., Ste. 110
Chef Velvet has cornered the market on vegan soul food with plant-based versions of chicken drumsticks and chicken and waffles.

Burney’s Sweets & More
1200 N. Davidson St., 318 E. South Main St.
Kimberly Johnson owns the uptown and Waxhaw locations of this Elizabeth-based bakery that’s known for its fried stuffed croissants.
I tried most of these places and there’s a few I want to try after seeing this list. I have to go back to Queens Coffee bar cause the owner is cool and the spot seems like a chill place. It’s like a cooler Starbucks cause you can hang out there. I still haven’t been to LaWan’s yet cause I’m barely on that side of town but I really want to go.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Charlotte/NC brehs. @Nicolae @42 Monks @Old Scott Hall @Lootpack and any other N.C. folks feel free to chime in or listen

I have a serious question and discussion I’d like to have with y’all.

Now fully disclosure to any mods. This ain’t a playful trolling matter I’m trynna take lightly and don’t ban me on words I’m about to use.

If there’s in an issue PM but I’m about to use the N word.

But how old were you the first time in real life you saw a white person used the work n!gger and have you ever been called one?

I got 2 stories so bare with me.....

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Now granted, now.... I’m a 6’5 280lbs+ black man..... probably due to not working out and not the best eating probably slightly about 300lbs right now.

But all my life I’ve always been like the taller kids in class/school so I was never really bullied and didn’t face a lot of racism even living down here in the south.

Also Winston-Salem isn’t really like that big of a town of that for me.

But the very first time I heard a white boy say n!gger, I was in the 4th grade. Will never forget at South Fork Elementary. Our class was out for recess and we was playing dodgeball. Mixed class blacks and whites, slightly we was the minority but not by much.

I remember one of my classmate a black dude (Stefon) got the ball and threw it hitting this white dude (Reggie) in the face.

Now it yes it was a hard throw, it it’s dodgeball, with them rubber red balls schools had. It wasn’t with malicious intent and I don’t even think Stefon was trynna head hunt, he was just trynna get him out. But he did pop Reggie and you can even see the concern on his face as Reggie hit the ground balling up....

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
..... I remember a lot of us was walking over to Reggie (blacks and whites) and he just jumped up face red, tears in eyes) and screamed “You fukking n!gger!”

I just remember like everyone from out class and all the other classes just stopped. Teachers started rushing out there.

I remember the racist rage had on his face and I remember the expression on Stephons face changing from concern, to confusion, to pure anger. As he started stepping with a quicker pace to Reggie like “what did you just call me”

Stephan was about to whoop his ass but then by that time everyone started holding everyone back and Trynna separate.... it was looking like a mini brawl in wrestling.

Now Reggie was always the cool white kid and there was never any racial tension in my class yet alone school but I remember that moment kinda opened everyone’s eyes and it was like the rest of that year..... shyt was never the same again.

End of story 1

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Story 2.

Im now in high school, living now on the South Side of Winston-Salem which is my heart other than Charlotte.

So 9th grade I’m on the basketball team...... and early in the season playing against on of out conference rival teams in our 3A division, it was a team called Trinity coming up from the town of Trinity, NC.

Trinity, North Carolina - Wikipedia

Now if y’all know anyone one from The Triad that played sports and had Trinity on their schedule as an away game. Man they can tell you all types of horror stories.

This is MY story on the first time in my life I was referred to as a n!gger by a white person.

9th grade, Parkland High is a predominately black high school and one of the 3 black schools of the 8 at the time schools. We was also kinda the hood school, one year we had a riot and kids threw out assistant principal through the glass cafeteria windows (another story for another time).

My b-ball team only had 3 white dudes.

But I remember as a freshman before the upcoming Trinity game, our coach before a practice had a serious discussion with us regarding what we was about to face.

He was a white coach, but him and out AD had to sit there to discuss the history of racism in Trinity and some things we were possibly about to face and how we need to conduct ourselves to get safely out of there or what to do if shyt hits the fan.

I remember this being 199_ and I’m thinking {Come on, this shyt can’t possibly be like that!}

Now anyone that’s played sports, y’all know in travel, y’all ever leave in y’all best business casual wear, suits, or team windsuits type gear and change when you get to the lockerroom at said school.

But we basically was already in our jerseys and just had our warmups and was told to not really bring a bag or if we did pack lightly because they don’t even really want us to take our bags off the bus. As we basically were supposed to only walk in (as we normally do at like the 2nd qtr of the girls game), take our seats behind them and the cheerleaders, then basically got to the lockerroom only to game prep then out. After the game there was no going back to the locker, we was out ASAP. That’s the plan

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Trinity was an majorly predominantly white school out in the middle of no where in this hick ass racist town in a neighboring county of WS.

So when we get there, we see the disgust and disdain they have for us, sometimes you can chalk it up as “visiting team heat” but I can front this atmosphere felt different.

now mind you this town kinda out there or unfamiliar, not to mention they wasn’t like one of the “sexy games” on the calendar so almost cases a lot of our fanbase or parents didn’t come to these game. And after “this” story and my first, i never really invited or wanted my family to come to this game.