The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
I ORDERED my ex to go ahead and take her generous PTO and go get checked out after I found the CDC popped up at Wells Fargo One in Uptown with a presumptive case. No test available but she doesn’t have the flu or symptoms.. I just got done yesterday stocking her and the kids up with food, medications and what not.

My friend who runs a restaurant right at Hearst Tower said he might not even open on Monday because most bank employees have been asked to work from home now.

CMS schools aren’t in session for the next two weeks. Thankfully I’m able to work remote. I feel for parents who aren’t able to. This is crazy.

Its good that you stocked her house. Im wondering how long this is going to last. CMS said something about trying to establish virtual classrooms so it seems like they think this might go on for a while. It’s crazy when you think about it. I keep asking people what do you think is going to change in April? Business schools etc just going to remain closed, or are they going to open back up?

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
It’s horrible man smh. Hope your people are ok.

Appreciate it.

I’m the paranoid military survivalist so they know if shyt gets bumpy that I’ll pop up and help out.

CMS schools aren’t in session for the next two weeks. Thankfully I’m able to work remote. I feel for parents who aren’t able to. This is crazy.

Its good that you stocked her house. Im wondering how long this is going to last. CMS said something about trying to establish virtual classrooms so it seems like they think this might go on for a while. It’s crazy when you think about it. I keep asking people what do you think is going to change in April? Business schools etc just going to remain closed, or are they going to open back up?

The problem is the lack of tests, Charlotte being an international destination and them not knowing who’s infected so they’re letting off the bazooka to try and get a handle on things now while they get tests from the Feds. If cases keep doubling like they are with shyt in place as it is..then expect a more restrictive response from the State. That ban on 100 people gathering in one spot might go down to 50 and then you’ll see some real shyt pop off then.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Appreciate it.

I’m the paranoid military survivalist so they know if shyt gets bumpy that I’ll pop up and help out.

The problem is the lack of tests, Charlotte being an international destination and them not knowing who’s infected so they’re letting off the bazooka to try and get a handle on things now while they get tests from the Feds. If cases keep doubling like they are with shyt in place as it is..then expect a more restrictive response from the State. That ban on 100 people gathering in one spot might go down to 50 and then you’ll see some real shyt pop off then.
I work for the news out here and was at the meeting. We were trying to understand how you have 3 tests for a COUNTY OF A MILLION PEOPLE! The health director couldn’t even answer why smh. I hope this shyt gets handled ASAP

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
I work for the news out here and was at the meeting. We were trying to understand how you have 3 tests for a COUNTY OF A MILLION PEOPLE! The health director couldn’t even answer why smh. I hope this shyt gets handled ASAP

This is the reason why you have Duke Energy, City of Charlotte and these telecoms doing this good will shyt with keeping utilities and phone service running. Federal money plus they’ve already been advised that if shyt gets out of control in spite of these incremental measures they’re going to have to shut down shyt. You want to keep folks as calm as possible as to avoid civil unrest.

Basically levels..if this level of restriction doesn’t work, we’ll add more restrictions until we either get enough tests and/or cases slow and if not, we will go all the way until we lockdown the entire state.

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
Appreciate it.

I’m starting to feel slightly nervous. In Italy people of all ages are dropping left and right. shyt is not a joke. This is a little scary being that without the testing we can’t confirm everyone who might have it. Damn how many of us will still be alive next year? :to:

Towlie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how's everybody holding up?

anybody still reporting to work? My wife is an RN at a hospital so she will be reporting throughout the duration

I am in CMS

Went to Costco today off Tyvola to get a bunch of stuff, then Chic Fil A at Davis Lake. You couldn't go inside, only drive thru

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I’m in media so I’ve been working a little more lately.. I don’t know for how long though. They got more cases in Meck County. I don’t know wtf bout to happen out here.

Daps
Celebrity makeup artist Jami Svay talks business and beauty - Q City Metro

Celebrity makeup artist Jami Svay talks business and beauty
The Charlotte-based beauty entrepreneur opens up about her new franchise, advice on landing major deals and spring beauty trends.
Jami-Svay-photo-Olly-Yung.jpg

Jami Svay. Photo: Olly Yung
By Nakisha Washington
March 3, 2020 | Updated Mar 3, 2020

Charlotte native Jami Svay is no stranger to the beauty industry. She began her beauty career more than 15 years ago once she realized that makeup artistry would be an artistic outlet that combined her passion for color and fine art. Now a sought-after beauty expert, Svay’s work has graced the pages of world-renowned publications, and her business savvy led to the creation of Tastee Cosmetics, a national line of natural lip products designed for QVC.

Her work with Charlotte Hornets owner and NBA champion Michael Jordan proved that she could have just as much success in her own backyard. Next month, she will take another big step with the grand opening of an IDOLIZE Brows and Beauty spa in Huntersville. Svay, and her husband Sam, are the owners behind the franchise located in Torrence Village at 9826 Gilead Road, Suite C-108.

IDOLIZE provides eyebrow and facial threading, lash and brow services, and other beauty services at affordable prices. The Charlotte-headquartered company has eight locations — five in Charlotte, two in Raleigh, and one in Richmond, Virginia. Expansion plans will bring the beauty brand to Texas, New Hampshire and New Jersey.

Svay talked with QCity Metro about lessons learned in her career, why she decided to open a franchise in the Charlotte area, and what customers can expect at the grand opening.

Q. You’ve been in the beauty business for 15 years as a celebrity makeup artist. Why is now the right time to go in a new direction as a franchise owner?

QCity Metro thanks its sponsors. Become One.
Svay: I feel like now is a good time to become a [brick-and-mortar] business owner because I finally feel like a leader. I’ve been in the industry for 15 years. I’ve created a national line of all-natural lip products for QVC, done [beauty] work for iconic brands such as Ralph Lauren, Oscar de la Renta as well had features in Allure Magazine and on Fox News.

My experiences have led me to a place where I’m ready to build a team, guide others in reaching their goals, and help share beauty with the masses.

You travel between LA, NYC and Miami, so you have your finger on the pulse of what’s happening in the fashion and beauty industries. What went into the decision to open a franchise in Charlotte?

Charlotte is home. I remember what it used to be, a small Southern city. It’s grown into a major metropolitan area and it’s continuing to grow.

While living in New York, I found myself wishing that Charlotte had some of the entertainment, shopping and beauty offerings of the big city. I kept saying, “This is great. I wish we had one back home.” Now that I’m home, it feels good to be a part of the growth that is happening in this city.

Speaking of home, you and your husband have three children and are business partners. How do you balance family and entrepreneurship?

There’s no secret formula. You take it day by day, and every day can look different. We make sure that we take time out for each other, just the two of us. It could be a quick escape for coffee or a weekend trip to the beach. I love our time together.

I told him the moment that we start feeling like this is a business transaction and less of a marriage, I’m out! Seriously, we are intentional on keeping each other and our family at the center of everything.

Jami-Sam-Svay-photo-Olly-Yung-1024x682.jpg

Jami Svay and husband Sam. Photo: Olly Yung
You’ve had big opportunities including working with Michael Jordan, Julianne Moore and The Property Brothers. What advice would you give small business owners and entrepreneurs on positioning yourself to land major deals?

In the time that I’ve been in this business, I’ve learned a lot. I’ve noticed that the way companies do business is changing. I created Tastee for QVC before social media influencers and [their] followers existed. Now, it’s about how many followers you have and less skill. I would tell business owners to try and be ahead of the curve, be trendsetters and show customers how their product/service can benefit lives.

Speaking of going back in time, in September 2019 you tweeted, “I wish I had a time machine. #regret” What advice would you give the version of yourself 15 years ago?

I tweeted that message shortly after my brother-in-law had been killed by a drunk driver. We didn’t get to see him a lot. I wish we had more time. I started to think about my career. I was spending all of my energy trying to get to the next level. I didn’t really enjoy each stage of my journey.

If I could give my younger self advice, I would tell myself, “Jami, take your time. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.” Most importantly, appreciate every moment.

What can we expect at the grand opening in April?

We are excitedly preparing for the grand opening next month. Attendees can expect fabulous brows, lash and facial applications for 50% off. Vonyetta Snow from [radio station] Power 98 will be in the building. This will be a great opportunity to network, ask questions about beauty services and have a good time. We’ll also have champagne and lite bites.

IDOLIZE-Brow-Beauty-Huntersville-1024x683.jpg

The interior of the new Idolize Brows and Beauty set to open in Huntersville. Photo courtesy of Idolize Brows and Beauty
As we’re gearing up for spring, what beauty trends will be popular?

Bright colors will be the trend for Spring 2020. Before, it was just a pop on the lips, now it’s eyeshadow and blush, giving a great nod to the ‘80s (think Vanity or Grace Jones). I love the Juvia’s Place palettes. They’re all amazing!

The IDOLIZE Brows and Beauty grand opening celebration is slated for Saturday, April 4, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

charknicks

All Star
Daps
Where did we see this lockdown showing in Charlotte?

Edit: just saw on the news. Thursday, 8am 3/26/20

ADK

Cleaner, I got this.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
LETS GOOOOOOO. NO WORK BAYBEEEE
BossyOblongEmperorpenguin-size_restricted.gif

Bout to pay these bills and chill out for 3 weeks :blessed:

ADK

Cleaner, I got this.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
:mjlol: My job sent out a text talkin bout “We’re still unsure what this means for operations :jbhmm:”.

nikka we not coming in, that’s what it means. We in retail.