Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
because like I said I go off resume as well. and right now, ward is the only guy with a special resume to go along with special talent. and I only consider pro career. if we're talking strictly talent level, then sure. rigo is crazy special. him and ward are 1 & 2. crawford. loma. canelo. mikey. spence. they all got areas in their game that are special. where canelo is special are his reflexes and defense. he's a special counter puncher and special throwing in combinations. I don't know any fighters today that can throw a 5-6-7 punch combo as sharp as canelo can. and definitely nobody his size. he's the most impressive combo puncher in the game today. dude can throw a combination that mixes up straight rights, left hooks, uppercuts, and body shots all in one fluid motion. it's beautiful to see.
Including all weights Linares better imo

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
I'm not saying he didn't take them well, but he definitely felt it and had tremendous respect moving forward, that might come off better than what I typed before, but yeah Adonis is too big and too powerful.
That said I think we overate Canelo's power, the man has never been a one punch power puncher, he wasn't that at 154, I don't understand why people are talking about him being a murderous puncher at 160. I mean he unloaded on JCC Jr and JCC at that shyt, so you know we might need to ignore that shyt about the chin. There is a reason why GGG is careful with legit MWs the whole fight through, like Jacobs and Lemieux, whereas he started walking and eating Canelo's shots late once he got comfortable.
Yea Canelo power is waaay overrated and j guess GGG and his team was drinking the juice too at the beginning of the fight.

I get what you was saying because in the Jacobs fight I thought GGG backed down from a couple exchanges and in the Canelo fight he was welcoming then. He really wasn't trying to get in a shootout with Jacobs tho.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Got you.

Would Edwin Valero fall into that category for you?
What about White Chocolate, Dmitry Pirog, who would have beaten GGG before the hype got started had his body not failed him.
Yeah. Pirog was odd. Slick but pressured you effectively. Damn shame his disc got ruptured :snoop:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Yea Canelo power is waaay overrated and j guess GGG and his team was drinking the juice too at the beginning of the fight.

I get what you was saying because in the Jacobs fight I thought GGG backed down from a couple exchanges and in the Canelo fight he was welcoming then. He really wasn't trying to get in a shootout with Jacobs tho.
Yeah it was confusing to me why GGG didn't stay on Canelo's chest and try to go consistantly at the body.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

Also GGG had to respect Jacobs size and speed. The only fighter that GGG has fought that had a clear height and reach advantage over him before the Jacobs fight was Murray while tough was limited.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
and loma didn't look special vs salido of all people.floyd didn't look special vs maidana of all people. you know I love winky more than anybody but he didn't look "special" vs jermaine taylor or fernando vargas. both extremely close fights. oscar came up short in most of his big fights. he was still special. mosley is special but he got thoroughly dominated by vernon forrest. who got knocked out by mayorga. we can go on and on. special is subjective. you considered ward special even after he had a toss up fight with kovalev right. being special doesn't mean you dominate everybody alive....and especially not top level guys. that's just ridiculous and isn't even logical. I believe paul williams was truly special. but he got soundly beaten by carlos quintana and the only time he fought great boxers they ended in controversial decisions(sergio and lara)....and then he fought sergio again and got put to sleep. and regardless of all that, i'll be damned if ANYBODY ever tries to tell me paul wasn't a special fighter.

miguel cotto is a special fighter but he does nothing we haven't seen before. he still never managed to dominate any elite guys. got dominated by floyd and pac. had tough victories over shane and zab. so yea....i'm not going off this definition that you can't be special if you're not a once in a generation type talent.

so to answer your question...."If Canelo is listed as "Special", what would we call Floyd Mayweather, ODLH, Tito Trinidad, Shane Mosley, or Winky Wright when they were at 154?".....well i'd call them some of the greatest fighters to ever walk the earth.

Loma has had fights against top notch competition that he's looked special against. Floyd the same. Winky Wright the same, ODLH, Mosley, SOG.

Canelo only looks "special" vs average competition.

His 4 best opponents: Floyd, Golovkin, Lara, Trout. Which one of them did Canelo look special against? None of em.

Should I ask the same question about SOG, Loma, Floyd, ODLH, Tito, Sugar Shane, or Winky Wright vs top opposition?

He's a really good fighter, but he's not special breh, he's just a Mexican fighter with quick hands & quick reflexes. There's nothing special about what he does in the ring. If you think he's special....please point me to his performance against a legit top fighter that shows how "special" Canelo is.:manny:

Last edited:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Including all weights Linares better imo
:jbhmm: Only other one that I can think of that stand out with Canelo in this department is GRJ and used to be JMM before retirement. While Canelo doesn't have that lemieux/Jacobs power he puts his punches together damn well. Every punch as hard as the last rather than wild flurries .

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
:jbhmm: Only other one that I can think of that stand out with Canelo in this department is GRJ and used to be JMM before retirement. While Canelo doesn't have that lemieux/Jacobs power he puts his punches together damn well. Every punch as hard as the last.
and just like @LauderdaleBoss said that's why tires out like he does