Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
because like I said I go off resume as well. and right now, ward is the only guy with a special resume to go along with special talent. and I only consider pro career. if we're talking strictly talent level, then sure. rigo is crazy special. him and ward are 1 & 2. crawford. loma. canelo. mikey. spence. they all got areas in their game that are special. where canelo is special are his reflexes and defense. he's a special counter puncher and special throwing in combinations. I don't know any fighters today that can throw a 5-6-7 punch combo as sharp as canelo can. and definitely nobody his size. he's the most impressive combo puncher in the game today. dude can throw a combination that mixes up straight rights, left hooks, uppercuts, and body shots all in one fluid motion. it's beautiful to see.

I think we can agree to disagree on Rigo. In terms of 'Special' I factor in resume, but not as much weight to it. Just eye test and skill set IMO. Obviously you can't call someone who has no accolades 'special' so, that's why I factor in the 2 medals, and win over Donaire. Which is more impressive than any current P4P guys win(S) sans SOG.

Daps
risky fight for both....if haye loses again, it is for sure the end of the line..bellew win, lose, or draw is opening himself up to absorb some punishment that I'm not sure his body is built to take fukking around with heavies

If Haye's achilles doesnt blow out on him he washes or even stops Bellew lets be real he was way up until his achilles blew out. Bellew really went all out with a guy that was fighting on one leg for five rounds :francis:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
What undefeated prospects do you guys know retired ? Alexander Frenkel KO'ed Enzo maccarinelli and disappeared. Won EU title but not a world one.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
But yet Canelo didn't look special vs Floyd, GGG, or Lara :wow:
and loma didn't look special vs salido of all people. floyd didn't look special vs maidana of all people. you know I love winky more than anybody but he didn't look "special" vs jermaine taylor or fernando vargas. both extremely close fights. oscar came up short in most of his big fights. he was still special. mosley is special but he got thoroughly dominated by vernon forrest. who got knocked out by mayorga. we can go on and on. special is subjective. you considered ward special even after he had a toss up fight with kovalev right. being special doesn't mean you dominate everybody alive....and especially not top level guys. that's just ridiculous and isn't even logical. I believe paul williams was truly special. but he got soundly beaten by carlos quintana and the only time he fought great boxers they ended in controversial decisions(sergio and lara)....and then he fought sergio again and got put to sleep. and regardless of all that, i'll be damned if ANYBODY ever tries to tell me paul wasn't a special fighter.

miguel cotto is a special fighter but he does nothing we haven't seen before. he still never managed to dominate any elite guys. got dominated by floyd and pac. had tough victories over shane and zab. so yea....i'm not going off this definition that you can't be special if you're not a once in a generation type talent.

so to answer your question...."If Canelo is listed as "Special", what would we call Floyd Mayweather, ODLH, Tito Trinidad, Shane Mosley, or Winky Wright when they were at 154?".....well i'd call them some of the greatest fighters to ever walk the earth.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
What undefeated prospects do you guys know retired ? Alexander Frenkel KO'ed Enzo maccarinelli and disappeared. Won EU title but not a world one.
Since when had undefeated meant anything for real in boxing, until Floyd and the machine started hyping it?
Opposition and resume is what matters.

Rocky Marciano was undefeated and beat a shot Joe Louis, no one thinks Rocky was a better fighter than Joe Louis, nor that he was a better fighter than Ali, Foreman, LIston, Frazier, Lennox, and etc. Hell I doubt people in those days would even rank Marciano higher than Schmeling, Dempsety, Tunney, or Jack Johnson

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
I have no interest in this..cotto was ducking GGG..even gave up his MW belt when the mandatory came around...cotto has a 154 belt now...he should go defend against some of the young cats in that division
We know Canelo is on chill mode until Cinco de Mayo and GGG ain't got a chill bone in his body.

It's good name value and still an interesting fight, plus a good money move for both until we run that back in May :yeshrug:

Plus, the matchup is more compelling than it ever has been. GGG is struggling with moving targets, visibly on the downslope of his physical peak and Cotto has gotten real smooth around the ring in this late career phase. I think Cotto got a good chance of a decision here. Best possible stop-gap before the rematch. GGG gonna have to be on his grind to win this. Pressure from beginning until the end. And body work

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
Adonis would destroy GGG, badly. GGG can't handle legit power from a true MW like Jacobs.
A hard punching LHW with crazy power knocks him clean out.

I think GGG took Jacobs shots well, he wasn't really in trouble just stopped him in his tracks :yeshrug:

Adonis would destroy any 160 fighter so that's not a knock on GGG who has an ATG middleweight chin.

The axe murderer

Daps
Since when had undefeated meant anything for real in boxing, until Floyd and the machine started hyping it?
Opposition and resume is what matters.

Rocky Marciano was undefeated and beat a shot Joe Louis, no one thinks Rocky was a better fighter than Joe Louis, nor that he was a better fighter than Ali, Foreman, LIston, Frazier, Lennox, and etc. Hell I doubt people in those days would even rank Marciano higher than Schmeling, Dempsety, Tunney, or Jack Johnson
What I mean is prospects. The ones who retired before really stepping up in competition and choosing another path in life.

The axe murderer

Daps
I think GGG took Jacobs shots well, he wasn't really in trouble just stopped him in his tracks :yeshrug:

Adonis would destroy any 160 fighter so that's not a knock on GGG who has an ATG middleweight chin.
I'd be surprised if anyone from cruiserweight below can take that shot clean without atleast being on bambi legs.

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
21618038_1398858623567242_4962126745493099902_n.jpg

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps

I'm not saying he didn't take them well, but he definitely felt it and had tremendous respect moving forward, that might come off better than what I typed before, but yeah Adonis is too big and too powerful.
That said I think we overate Canelo's power, the man has never been a one punch power puncher, he wasn't that at 154, I don't understand why people are talking about him being a murderous puncher at 160. I mean he unloaded on JCC Jr and JCC at that shyt, so you know we might need to ignore that shyt about the chin. There is a reason why GGG is careful with legit MWs the whole fight through, like Jacobs and Lemieux, whereas he started walking and eating Canelo's shots late once he got comfortable.