Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
I don't give a shyt about a Ring Rankings or Belts like that...we've been over that a million times...I'll bring it up making a point if I know whoever I'm going at brings rankings up on hand N disregards them on another

shyt like Diego Chaves being Ring Ranked top 10 for over a yr without winning a damn match in 3 years shows their rankings jus as bad as anyone else's :dead:

I don't care bout who Andrade calling out when he already has a fight schedule in Germany...KNOWING both Charlos have mandos to take care of

Nor did I say Andrade is ducking or scary of anybody

You said this....

This is why I'm confused... Lara isn't a worthless match up... He's #2 ring ranked N WBA champ (both things you love in an opp)

Lara got the 2nd best TV rating on Showtime of the year even beating out LSC v Frampton

Most recent notable W is Willie Nelson AND you bout to fight in Germany most likely not on tv

All those things considered Lara is in no way shape or form a "worthless" fight

Choc keeping that consistency in the ring :whew:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Nobody has ever said 8 figures & that's it. Its at least $10 mill + upside to GGG, just like Arum's $4 mill + upside. Arum responded AFTER this was said...so how do I know this, but he doesn't? :martin:

"We have made an offer, we made the offer thirty days ago. We made it to 'Triple G's representatives and the offer is an eight-figure offer with upside of the pay-per-view to fight 'Canelo.

"'Triple G', Abel (Sanchez) have both been pretty relentless in saying Canelo's a businessman, Canelo's a clown, Canelo's whatever and Golovkin went as far as to say to Lance Pugmire (of the LA Times) that,'they will only offer me $2 million,' as a way to - he didn't say this - but to lowball him out of the fight.

"This is literally eight-figures, potential upside. I don't know where he's going to find that money elsewhere. So Canelo has said to us he will sign the contract the minute 'Triple G' agrees."

- See more at: Golden Boy: Canelo Will Sign The Minute Golovkin Agrees To Offer - Boxing News

Are you finished or are you done?:francis:

The arguing over flat fee is semantics. The point is doing a split of revenue (eg, 60-40) will benefit the fighter more than a flat fee, plus PPV backside.

There is a reason why Canelo and Pacquiao offered that, because it sounds good in numbers to the public, but that is peanuts compared to what a true split would be.

Mayweather wanted to offer Pacquiao a flat fee of $40 million. Sounds good. Key is sounds good. Make that split and Pacquiao takes home over double.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
:dahell:
First you tell this lie

Then you say this :what:

:usure: @Newzz

Show me where Broner was ever offered a flat rate
Or are YOU done??:dame:

Breh...you posted something that DLH said before making an offer. It says that in the same article you posted:

De La Hoya explains that he's firm in his position, because Golovkin "does not sell" when it comes to pay-per-view, while Canelo is an established pay-per-view star. Like Gomez previously stated, De La Hoya says his company will make a flat fee offer to Golovkin - which Golden Boy claims will be the largest amount of money that Golovkin has ever made in his career. -

Consequently, we are not willing to negotiate based on percentages in that promotion. When the time comes, we will make an offer to Golovkin, a very good deal, in which he will earn more than he's ever won in his career, and he will decide whether or not to accept it. That offer will be presented to Golovkin when Saul Alvarez is ready to invade the 160 pound division. - See more at: De La Hoya: Flat Fee For Golovkin To Face Canelo - No Money Split! - Boxing News

:dwillhuh:

The article I posted was AFTER this, and apparently the offer was made....did you even check the dates on the articles? :dahell:

Like shyt breh, the article you posted was before Canelo even fought Liam Smith:what: You are aware that Tom Loeffler has even acknowledged receiving that offer already?:heh:

Stop it breh:forreal:...DLH ended up giving the same upfront flat fee + ppv upside that Arum gave Broner. If it means Canelo is ducking, then it means the same for Pacquiao:manny:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps

EXCLUSIVE: PREMIER BOXING CHAMPIONS NOT OUT OF BUSINESS AND HAVE MORE 2016 DATES – PBC SPEAK OUT

Published On September 30, 2016 | By Niall Doran | Boxing Interviews

There has been a lot of speculation in recent times pertaining to the demise of Premier Boxing Champions, a television series created to try to bring boxing back to the masses – started by American Alan Haymon in 2015. I wanted to get to the root core of what is really going on and this week after speaking exclusively to a high up PBC spokesman, I did.

There’s a lot of conflicting information out there at the moment on the television series since it started last year. Some true, some not true at all I found out.

Speaking to a member of the Premier Boxing Champions organisation in the US this week, he put the record straight for me on a number of things – in a candid and revealing interview.

As our cross-Atlantic conversation began, it started off with quite a hearty laugh and chuckle between the both of us, when I asked was it true that there were no more PBC events for the rest of 2016 following a mid-week telecast this week:

Haha. Yeah we’re out of business! Why are you calling me? We’re done, we’ve got nothing else – we’re finished! Jeez. It must be true, it’s on the internet!”

He told me that it is not true there will be no more PBC telecasts for the remainder of 2016:

This is what I’ll tell you. As far as I know, in November we have two fights with Spike TV and we have some other network’s fights that month and then in December we are looking at some fights that we are looking at either doing – or moving them back to January on other networks.”

Interestingly, he then put me on the spot with a question in terms of start-up businesses, that made me think about the PBC in terms of what direction they are looking to go in now:

“You run a business right? Well let me ask you something about running your business. If you tried something last year and it didn’t exactly work out the way you thought it would, are you going to do the same thing this year as you did last year? Or, are you going to look at it and say, well, that didn’t really work out the way we thought it was going to work out, let’s try something different.”

He got me thinking and made a good point that I could relate to, granted on a much lower level but nonetheless, there’s no denying that when you’re trying to get anything off the ground from scratch from day one, no matter how big or small, teething issues will always happen early on and adjusting your sails and tweaking your plans simply come part and parcel with any form or entrepreneurship.

Unfortunately there is no manual or instructions.

The PBC official was also very keen to get across that boxing like all sports now exist in a very different time in 2016 compared to the past:

“Boxing used to be available on network television. It was never seasonal – it wasn’t like football, it wasn’t like the NBA, it wasn’t like major league baseball. It didn’t have a season so you ran it any time of the year. Now, which is what people that write solely about boxing don’t understand is, there are other sports that are out there. There are other sports that get viewership.”

The PBC spokesman then went onto dispel a few myths that are out there, one of which being they are running out of money but also touching on testing different platforms to see which work best for Premier Boxing Champions:

“People have choices about what they watch. PBC is a television series. You want it to get as many viewers as possible because what we’re trying to do is expand the sport. We are trying to bring interest in the sport to more than just boxing fans. In order to do that, you’ve got to put it on multiple networks so that people can see it. We did that and do that with our network partners. Now in the future, if we shrink the number of networks what is that going to mean? Is that going to mean – oh they are running out of money? No. At some point you determine that this platform works best on a certain number of networks to grow the audience and sport.”

He added:

“You’ve gotta continue to expand the viewership base. You’ve gotta try to grow the sport. You’ve got to continue to try to get people back interested in watching boxing on network television and making it a sport that’s available to the masses.”

This view of looking at the big picture was a theme prevalent throughout our dialogue.

Indeed, he struck me as a man very much focused and genuinely passionate on the long-term future of the sport of boxing:

“I think a lot of the time people who write about boxing are sort of boxed in and they don’t look at the big picture. They don’t look at the universe that’s out there. It’s a big universe out there. What the sport needs is for their stars to be presented to the maximum number of people possible. You don’t need to shrink the sport any more, you need to expand the sport. However you can expand the sport – you need to do it.”

As our chat continued, I pointed out how I believed there is a balance to be struck between building the star of an individual fighter’s brand with interesting story telling, as well as a focus on putting that fighter in the most competitive fights as possible to also build his name, essentially promoting the actual fights themselves and promoting the fighter’s star and name attraction in equal measure.

mayweather-on-dancing-with-the-stars.jpg

He brought up an interesting point then to me, on how renowned fighter Floyd Mayweather once created significant cross over appeal a few years back outside of HBO’s 24/7 series prior to his bout with Oscar De La Hoya:

“You have to remember that Floyd Mayweather went on ‘Dancing With The Stars’ which was a series that averaged close to 20 million viewers every time it was on the air. So however long his run was on the show, I think it was 6 or 7 weeks, for 7 weeks they told his story and 20 million people saw it. They learned that he’s going to be fighting somebody. Guess what? A lot of those people are going to go, okay I saw this guy on ‘Dancing With The Stars’, I saw this guy on the WWE (wrestling organisation). I might want to tune in and watch who he’s fighting. Now he has cross-over appeal.”

Speaking on criticisms levelled at PBC for matchmaking and quality of fights, he said:

“We have over 50 shows a year. People are always like, oh they are mismatches, they are horrible fights. No they are not. They are evenly matched fights with guys of equal skill level and you have various levels of guys that are on different networks. You have guys that are prospects that fight on certain networks, you have guys that are contenders that fight on certain networks and you have guys that are champions that fight on certain networks. So the guys are working to get to the championship level.”

I was also very keen to get his opinion on the whole idea that was out there in the beginning, that the PBC wanted to create on world champion per weight division in boxing, which I thought might lead to a conflict of interest down the line with the world boxing sanctioning bodies.

He told me this wasn’t true at all:

“I think you just have to work inside the parameters of what the sanctioning organisations do and we work well with the sanctioning organisations. The PBC is a television series. We’re not trying to take any bread out of anybody’s mouth or food off the table. You work within the parameters of what you have and I don’t think the sanctioning organisations will ever stand in the way of making a fight that is going to be for the better of the sport. I think there’s always a way to negotiate to get a fight that the fans want to see. They (the governing bodies) realise that their very existence is owed to the appeal of the sport, so why would they work in detriment for something that’s going to be for the better of the sport?”

As our chat wrapped up that went on for nearly an hour, I was now more than clear on what is actually going on at Premier Boxing Champions from a factual perspective.

Don’t believe everything you hear. PBC are here to stay for quite some time yet in my view.

In conclusion, I believe it is important to consider the amount of programming PBC has been putting on for boxing fans since starting around 18 months ago, close to 90 TV events.

When compared to the other broadcasters who have been putting on boxing content in the US, they stack up well, considering the significantly larger amount of shows they’ve had.

If you’re putting on a show close to once a week or every two weeks, not all of them are going to be Hagler vs Hearns.

Two fights this year in particular that appeared on PBC however, Frampton vs Santa Cruz and Thurman vs Porter, are legitimate fight of the year contenders.

Boxing being shown more on network television and to more people in general can only be a positive thing, in my humble opinion.

Photo credit: Ramiro Cairo for ESPN

Tweet now

See Also:

• Last Weekend's Premier Boxing Champions Series TV Ratings

Saturday's Premier Boxing Champions Series TV Ratings Danny Garcia vs Lamont Peterson and Andy Lee vs Peter Quillin did quite well on US TV, considering a few factors. ________________________________________________________________________________ The numbers and tallies are in for last weekend's big Premier Boxing Champions bill on American prime time TV, that was shown live on NBC. The numbers overall are reasonably good…
Exclusive: Premier Boxing Champions Not Out Of Business and Have More 2016 Dates - PBC Speak Out

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
ADVERTISEMENT

BOXINGSCENE ARCHIVE
ADVERTISEMENT

article_updated_icon.png
Updated at 04:34 AM EDT, Fri Sep 30, 2016 Read More By : Random Hits

Billy Joe Saunders vs. Artur Akavov Set For October 22

Undefeated WBO World Middleweight Champion Billy Joe Saunders (23-0 12 KOs) will make the first defence of his title against Russia’s Artur Akavov (16-1 7 KOs) on Frank Warren’s mouth-watering October 22 Motorpoint Arena Cardiff show, live and exclusive on BoxNation.

Last December, Saunders defeated Irish hero Andy Lee to take his WBO crown in a close and absorbing fight in Manchester that saw the Hatfield star floor the former champion twice in the third round and go on to claim a majority decision from the judges.

The skillful, hard-hitting, Saunders knows it is vital that he beats Akavov if he is to remain on track for potential blockbuster showdowns with Mexican pound-for-pound star Canelo Alvarez and 160lbs division monster Gennady Golovkin.

billy-joe-saunders_5.jpg

Akavov, 28, holds the WBO European Middleweight title and is currently enjoying a red-hot eleven-fight winning streak stretching back to 2012. The 5’9 southpaw known as ‘Wolverine’ made his professional debut against Andrey Korzhenevsky back in 2011 and has never been halted in 17 contests. Now residing in Brooklyn, New York, Akavov has vowed to win Saunders’ world title for his family and country.

Saunders, 27, knows he is in for a risky first title defence against a dangerous and live challenger, but says being World Champion means he has the skills and determination to overcome any challenge.

“Nothing comes easy in boxing and I’m definitely not taking Akavov for granted,” said Saunders. He’s a strong fighter and very dangerous and if I don’t come in 100 percent then he could cause an upset in my first title defence. I’m going to make sure I’m in the shape of my life and give Akavov the toughest night he’s ever had, he’s never been stopped before so this is going to be a first for him!”

"I know why they picked me as an opponent," said Akavov of Team Saunders. "Although I am very honoured and proud to fight for the WBO World Championship, at the same time, I promise to prove that the Saunders camp were gravely mistaken with whatever they were expecting of me in the ring. I represent my family first and my country and that alone will not let me fail."

Promoter Frank Warren said: “This is Bill’s first fight in ten months, the Russian is a tough guy who is capable of making things awkward. Hopefully Bill will shake off the ring rust with a successful defence to set up a super fight for early New Year. This is now shaping up to be an absolute cracker of a show with five title fights for boxing fans!”

"I know that the champion Billy Joe Saunders is a professional, so I hope he's not looking past Akavov," said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. "Artur Akavov is a tough SOB who will bring the fight to Billy Joe. If this is a 'keep busy' fight, the champion better be prepared for a tough night. Artur is no joke.”

Saunders and Akavov join a sensational five-title fight card that features Welsh hero Liam Williams defending his British Super-Welterweight title against undefeated Londoner Ahmet Patterson; Penge star Bradley ‘Super’ Skeete making a mandatory defence of his British Welterweight crown against Manchester’s Shayne Singleton; Baggies bomber Tommy Langford challenging for the Vacant British Middleweight strap and Liverpool’s Tom Stalker making the first defence of his WBO European Lightweight title against Welshman Craig Evans.

An action-packed undercard sees world title chasing Paul Butler return to the ring under new trainer Joe Gallagher, Swindon KO king Jamie Cox makes his long-awaited return in an eight round Super-Middleweight Contest, Ilford demolition man Anthony Yarde looks to continue his red-hot KO streak after emphatically announcing himself in the U.S. with another first round KO, Leicester super-puncher Lyon Woodstock looks to go 8-0, rising Swansea Super-Flyweight starlet Jay Harris looks to impress on home soil again, Middleweight starlet Alex Hughes aims to go 8-0 and Croydon Super-Lightweight prospect Nathaniel Wilson goes in search of his fourth professional win.

Remaining tickets for ‘A Little Less Conversation’ priced at £70, £100 and £150 are available from Motorpoint Arena Cardiff; 029 2022 4488 and www.motorpointarenacardiff.co.uk, Eventim; 0844 249 1000 andwww.eventim.co.uk, Ticketmaster; 0844 8440 444 and www.ticketmaster.co.uk

Black_Jesus

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
from the home of coca-cola, i'm not referring to s
Breh...you posted something that DLH said before making an offer. It says that in the same article you posted:

:dwillhuh:

The article I posted was AFTER this, and apparently the offer was made....did you even check the dates on the articles? :dahell:

Like shyt breh, the article you posted was before Canelo even fought Liam Smith:what: You are aware that Tom Loeffler has even acknowledged receiving that offer already?:heh:

Stop it breh:forreal:...DLH ended up giving the same upfront flat fee + ppv upside that Arum gave Broner. If it means Canelo is ducking, then it means the same for Pacquiao:manny:

:dahell:
If they're getting backend revenue they're not getting a "flat fee".. You are confused..

Flat fee is what Floyd offered Pac in 2011

Flat fee is what Oscar initially mentioned in the link I posted and what the interviewer was asking Arum about in the video you posted

Who the hell said Canelo was ducking

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's a back to back fight night on CBS Sports. Paulie is calling the first card fight. Dibella put on the first card and RJJ put on the second.

Last edited: