Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
On his fight against Porter his defense was just as leaky as on the Maidana fight just Porter smothers his work more plus he punches smaller than Maidana...

Danny is bad against natural boxers and good moving boxer punchers. Broner only rarely showed that he can move around well. He often shells up and let the opponent come at him

I doN't say that Broner is hopeless against Danny, he has a solid chance if he fights smartly I jut doubt that he would fight smartly... :yeshrug:
Believe me, Danny would be the betting favorit too
Okay breh

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Never could understand this whole Broner has leaky/average defense talk. :dwillhuh:

Paulie gets caught way more, but whenever cats dissect his style/career, people gloss over his defense and point out how his lack of power held him back.....

even though guys like Cory Spinks and Chris Bryd lacked power, but went on to have much better careers.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Never could understand this whole Broner has leaky/average defense talk. :dwillhuh:

Paulie gets caught way more, but whenever cats dissect his style/career, people gloss over his defense and point out how his lack of power held him back.....

even though guys like Cory Spinks and Chris Bryd lacked power, but went on to have much better careers.
I've never said he has such a good defense if you already mention Paulie...
good from the outside, can move =/= good defense,
see Khan too...
I was never high on Paulie overall as a fighter to begin with...

his (Broner) main problem isn't even his defense though but his low output and flat feets especially when he meets high pressure but his defense is also not that good imo...

What would you say his main flaws are then? :yeshrug:

Not mentality and etc... I'm thinking about actual physically visible things in the ring.
I want to hear from a Broner fan now that what do you think his flaws are then...

Last edited:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
see Khan too...

his mai problem isn't even his defense though but his low output and flat feets especially when he meets high pressure but his defense is also not that good imo...

Not mentality and etc... I'm thinking about actual physically visible things in the ring.
I want to hear from a Broner fan now that what do you think his flaws are then...

His only visible flaw in the ring is the fact he fights most times flat footed, but that's how he gets leverage on his punches, so it's a wash.

He has good defense. He's a B defensively. He gets caught flush every now and then, but he also has a solid chin so he's able to eat the shot, and shells up to defend himself while attempting to counter the attack....which leads to yall saying "low punch output", but that's by design because of the fact he's trying to pick his counter spots in between the punches thrown at him, which also leads into my main problem:

My main problem, when yall talk about his defense, is that yall use only 2 fights to go off (Porter & maidana) and leave out the other 32 career fights he's had. If he had bad defense, he would've lost to more fighters than just bigger, stronger, high pressure-high volume guys. If he had bad defense, he would get hit way more than he does.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
tbh I never gave much to these sparring, street fight and etc... legends...

if his chin would be so weak that even GRJ KOd him he wouldn't have got even this far...
TBF #SaunaSuit has probably been the same size since he was 11 so those punches were probably 10000x harder then....

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
canelo-alvarez%20(1)_6.jpg

that shirt hard as fukk though:wow:

Heel beard :krs:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
His only visible flaws in the ring is the fact he fights most times flat footed, but that's how he gets leverage on his punches, so it's a wash.

He has good defense. He's a B defensively. He gets caught flush every now and then, but he also has a solid chin so he's able to eat the shot, and shells up to defend himself while attempting to counter the attack.

My main problem, when yall talk about his defense, is that yall use only 2 fights to go off (Porter & maidana) and leave out the other 32 career fights he's had. If he had bad defense, he would've lost to more fighters than just bigger, stronger, high pressure-high volume guys.
I didN't say "bad" I said leaky, and mediocre. And everything is relative. What I compare it to...
Of course if I include ever taxi driver and club fighter in the world Broner is a beast in every regards... if I compare him to the fighters you put him on the same level then his defense ain't that good. Only a few fighters have really good defense that's true. Shelling up however is not a good defensive move imo even if you have a strong chin...

Agree on the lack of footwork and I'd also say that his low output.

We mention those two fights because those were the two fights so far when he really stepped up above 140 and on both of those fight we saw the same mistakes from him. Basically that he can't handle pressure from a B or A level opponent and especially on the Porter fight that he isn't active enough.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
@Newzz

also countering should rather work by moving away, while lure them to come at you and the punish them with sneaky counters from the outside á'la Mayweather,
or stalking them and punch WITH them almost at the same time while using head movement á'la Canelo or JMM

but not shelling up on the ropes let the opponent hit either you or your guard and waiting for the moment when you can punch back...

at least in my opinion

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
see Khan too...

his (Broner) main problem isn't even his defense though but his low output and flat feets especially when he meets high pressure but his defense is also not that good imo...

Broner's biggest flaw visual physical flaw is generally flat footedness and how he tends to walk dudes down without shifting. He has the talent and ability to walk dudes down on the level of Golovkin, but doesn't. It's more of a Pac sense where he just stays in range of you, to fire counters or pot shot. He's capable of using his legs to outbox a guy (Molina fight) but doesn't employ it when he should (his only 2 losses) So it kinda has to go back to mentality since he almost tries to fight everyone the same way.

Other than that I'd say Broner other physical limitations are.....
chin- good
defense - good
power - good
speed - good

His boxing IQ is his real X factor, but you could say that for just about every boxer that's borderline elite. That's what separates very good boxers from great boxers.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
I didN't say "bad" I said leaky, and mediocre. And everything is relative. What I compare it to...
Of course if I include ever taxi driver and club fighter in the world Broner is a beast in every regards...

Compare it to the Champions & RING Top 10 opponents he's fought:

Daniel Ponce De Leon
Jason Litzau
Eloy Perez
Antonio DeMarco
Gavin Rees
Paulie Malignaggi
Marcos Maidana
Shawn Porter
Khabib Allakhverdiev

^^^ How many of them would you comfortably say AB has worse defense than?:jbhmm:

if I compare him to the fighters you put him on the same level then his defense ain't that good

I said Broner is a B level fighter at 147 and A at 140, 135, and 130....now, you tell me what B level fighters at 147 have better defense than him to where his isn't "that good" in comparision?:jbhmm:

I would've included 140, but to me, there's only 2 elite fighters there. Him and Crawford....and I believe him and Crawford are similar defensively as far as ratings wise.

Only a few fighters have really good defense that's true. Shelling up however is not a good defensive move imo even if you have a strong chin...

I disagree. You don't stand and trade with a power puncher who's throwing tons of punches. You shell up & either attempt to tie up (ala Floyd vs Maidana) or shell up & counter (ala Floyd vs Manny), and then move.

Agree on the lack of footwork and I'd also say that his low output.

We mention those two fights because those were the two fights so far when he really stepped up above 140 and on both of those fight we saw the same mistakes from him. Basically that he can't handle pressure from a B or A level opponent and especially on the Porter fight that he isn't active enough.

He cant handle pressure from a larger fighter. I don't care if it's A or B level, if they are under Welterweight, they will lose to Broner attempting to pressure him, because he's stronger than most opponents HIS size.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
@Newzz

also countering should rather work by moving away, while lure them to come at you and the punish them with sneaky counters from the outside á'la Mayweather,
or stalking them and punch WITH them almost at the same time while using head movement á'la Canelo or JMM

but not shelling up on the ropes let the opponent hit either you or your guard and waiting for the moment when you can punch back...

at least in my opinion

theirs different ways to counter people effectively.

If you're walking someone down, and get them to throw first (especially if their punch motion has their body momentum going forward) You counters can be twice as effective since your shifting your weight forward to land on somebody basically walking into the punch.

Like picture a tall guy snapping a jab on someone trying to bob and weave forward to get in close. That shyt snaps your neck and jolts you back. You can feel it in your spine and legs sometimes. Now just imagine the effect a counter right hand would have in that same scenario.

You could see this in the Broner fight with Paulie. Paulie was getting his grill sent back all night. He took them shyts like a G because he has a good chin. Dudes at 135 were being sent to the bushes with the same shots.