Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Like the guy in the other thread saying GGG N Brook are the same size...Brook is a "huge" welterweight... Nothing about weight matters cuz they will weigh in the same

Overboard stanning like that friend??:jbhmm:
you say this cause you assume i'd say ok cause i like GGG. yeah breh it goes both ways, its gotten ridiculous :yeshrug:

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
you say this cause you assume i'd say ok cause i like GGG. yeah breh it goes both ways, its gotten ridiculous :yeshrug:

Nah I brought that up Cuz its the most recent case of muhfukkers running around acting like idiots

Im under the stance of jus be consistent... The bu bu bu bu but its different when my fighter does something but when someone I dislike does it I'm outraged is corny af

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
Fight is on NBC, The Olympic channel. UFC and Olympics on Saturday.

I like what they did, sandwiched Spence in between the last olympic events and the closing ceremony iirc. It should do pretty good numbers just being on the Olympic channel.

:wow:

This is what I was asking Emcee, don't he have to defect to get signed?
That's exactly what I thought. I'm pretty sure Floyd knows this and is trying to work around that. I hope it works out, because that would be a good look for both Cruz & TMT

Whats going on in NY with the insurance??

Dibella N now Arum talking bout they never doing shows in NY again...its too much $$$

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Whats going on in NY with the insurance??

Dibella N now Arum talking bout they never doing shows in NY again...its too much $$$
I can't comment on their side (the business/promotion side), but from the boxers side, to me at least it seems like NY is doing right by the fighters. Although smaller fights may get hurt. When we have these fights were a fighter gets hurt and needs long term assistance/life support/coma care, the fighters family and promoters are out there with a tin cup begging for donations. That shouldn't happen. The $50k of medical coverage is :scust:. Any type of injury and that will be used up and exceeded quickly.

To me it is look who is complaining. The industry seems to always get over on the fighters and the promoters are complaining, I haven't heard any complaints from fighters yet. If I was a fighter, especially the ones we talk about most who promoters are interested and invested in, I would probably prefer fighting in NY vs. other locations if the insurance was that much better.
Maybe DiBella is right and this will hurt the smaller fighters, who eventually grow into the more well known fighters...the way around it is if a guy does get hurt and is under-insured, than these promoters need to step up to the plate and take care of them...but I wouldn't trust that as the promoters will eventually find a way to do them dirty.

NY to require $1M insurance for boxers, MMA fighters; highest minimum in US

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York will require $1 million coverage for life-threatening brain injuries and other new health insurance for both professional boxers and its first group of licensed mixed martial artists under regulations slated to take effect in September.

The State Athletic Commission, which already regulates pro boxing, is carrying out the decision by the Legislature and Gov. Andrew Cuomo to legalize professional mixed martial arts and revamp oversight of combat sports generally. Regulation varies among states. New York's $1 million coverage appears to be the highest insurance minimum in the U.S.

The detailed plan, still subject to public comments, will formally end New York's opposition to the combination of wrestling, kickboxing and jiu-jitsu inside an enclosure. The amateur sport has grown in the state unregulated, though the commission is authorized to establish its oversight as well.

"The New York State Athletic Commission has taken another step toward ensuring the health, safety and integrity of its athletes and events," the commission said, while declining to discuss specifics. "The commission looks forward to receiving feedback from all stakeholders before finalizing rules and its implementation."

Higher insurance was one concession to critics, however, some still wanted the violent sport banned. Others wanted better protection for fighters, several of whom came to Albany to lobby for legalization.

The insurance minimums were specified in the law. In addition to the $1 million in brain injury coverage, provisions require $50,000 coverage for other injuries, up from the longstanding minimum of $7,500 for boxers, and a $50,000 death benefit, down from $100,000 for boxers. The commission acknowledged some small promoters may find the overall insurance cost "problematic" — estimating it will cost $7,500 to $9,000 for a 10-bout card — but said it would be against the fighters' best interests and the intent of lawmakers to lower the minimums.

Officials at the California State Athletic Commission said their requirement is for $50,000 medical coverage and were unaware of any other state requiring $1 million for possible brain injuries.

Michael Mazzulli, president of the Association of Boxing Commissions, agreed, adding "I believe in fighter safety. If that's what New York thinks it needs, I'm all for it."

Supporters say mixed martial arts has evolved from early unregulated days with a set of unified rules widely used. Prohibited acts include strikes to the spine, back of the head or throat; head butts; and stomping a grounded opponent.

Fighters also can be disqualified for downward strikes with the point of the elbow, kneeing or kicking a downed opponent in the head, "spiking" an opponent to the floor on his or her head or neck and heel kicks to the kidney.

The UFC, the sport's largest promotion and lead lobbyist in Albany, has announced plans to hold a Nov. 12 show at Madison Square Garden. UFC officials declined to discuss the regulations.

The commission also proposed prohibiting promoters from acting as managers, limiting management contracts to three years, requiring fighters get paid at least $150 after all expenses are deducted from purses, and that they get at least 50 percent of all ring earnings after those deductions.

The governor's office has estimated the sport will yield almost $140 million in annual economic activity in New York from gym expansions and about 70 yearly mixed martial arts events.

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps
That's exactly what I thought. I'm pretty sure Floyd knows this and is trying to work around that. I hope it works out, because that would be a good look for both Cruz & TMT

Floyd got the bread he gon send TMT Special Ops
tumblr_mbnlv1lVTo1qg9k3io1_400.gif

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Dan Rafael chat wrap 8/19:

- ESPN is cutting out all chats via their website. His is the last one still running and this will be the last chat in this format. He may find a way to still do it via another avenue.
- What constitutes an elite fighter, is Danny Garcia elite? Yes Danny Garcia is elite. You rate a fighter elite on many factors: who they beat, your skillset, your background, and many other things. But yes, the resume plays a huge part.
- Garcia vs. Thurman? Early 2017 there is a good chance. Showtime wants it and both fighters seem interested. Nothing stands in the way other than if Garcia loses in October.
- Danny Garcia vs. Berto likely Oct. 15 at the Staples Center and on Showtime.
- Cotto is thinking of fighting in Florida because there is a large Puerto Rican population there and he had a good crowd in Orlando. They are talking with Kirkland, which is a bad PPV. Monica Bradley said Tim wants the fight in December.
- Heard from a good source that Lamont Peterson is also being considered to fight Cotto.
- Any truth to Cotto vs. Gamboa? No. Cotto's team says absolutely not. No idea where those rumors came from.
- Wlad vs. Fury court battle? If it goes to court, Wlad will win. Knowing Wlad, his team, and his lawyer, his bet is that their contract is iron clad.
- Fury is obviously looking to duck Wlad.
- The sanctioning bodies will eventually step in and strip Fury if he won't fight Wlad.
- Mikey Garcia vs. Zlaticanin? In discussions, but not done. Very interesting matchup and a very tough fight for Garcia.
- NBC's Olympic boxing coverage has been horrible.
- USA's best prospect at the Olympics? Shakur Stevenson and it isn't even close.
- Robson is very slick and crafty, it will be a tough gold medal fight for Stevenson.
- Count on Stevenson turning pro after the Olympics.
- The absence of headgear and pro style scoring has made Olympic boxing far more entertaining.
- Compare AIBA vs. professional boxing sanctioning bodies? AIBA makes pro sanctioning bodies look like the Pope.
- Margarito's eye is a mess and it is shocking he continues to get licensed, but it is Mexico...
- Best/most interesting fights on the current boxing schedule? GGG-Brook and Ward-Kovalev.
- In the next 2-3 years will GGG and Kovalev fight? Doubtful.
- Kell Brook weighing 176 at the 30 day weigh in? I guess we can believe him in that he was a big WW.
- TR intends for Oscar Valdez' next fight to be in November and in Tuscan where he grew up.
- The Canelo vs. Smith undercard is a disappointment. GB tried hard to make it better and it just didn't work out. Fights fell through.
- Canelo vs. Smith will not be in movie theaters.
- Spence beats Bundu 12-0 or by KO.
- Ward is a top fighter and deserves credit for his resume. He most likely will be a HOF'er. The way he handles the business side is what he criticizes.
- Stevens vs. Lemieux? HBO owes Lemieux one more fight and one vs. Stevens seems like it will happen eventually.
- Crawford's opponent possibilities for the fall after Pacquiao committed to Vargas? Not great.
- Crawford vs. JMM at a catchweight? People complain about catchweights and they want Crawford to fight JMM at a catchweight when he has been inactive for over 2 years...get out of here.
- Crawford vs. Troyanovsky? Meh.
- Will Hopkins or JMM ever fight again? Hopkins will probably fight once more, JMM is probably done.
- HBO was willing to promote Pacquiao vs. Vargas, just not in November. The date was the only issue for them.
- Does this make Pacquiao a free agent? TR and HBO have different views, so it is unclear if Pacquiao is still contractually tied to HBO in the future.
- Was Buster Douglas given a slow count vs. Tyson? No. That was a manufactured controversy.
- Until they change the insurance rules, boxing is dead in NY.
- Who has the most potential longterm of HW's: Miller, Menard, and Plant? Hard to say, all solid prospects. Most interested in Miller.
- Miller vs. Kassi? Miller by KO.
- Jack vs. DeGale? The fight will get done, they are trying to get the location and date figured out.
- Ward vs. Kovalev will be at T-Mobile arena in Vegas.
- Still not sure who he is picking in Ward vs. Kovalev.
- Are tickets available for Ward vs. Kovalev? No, the promoters aren't quite on the same page yet...thanks to Roc Nation.
- Jay Z has never lifted a finger to promote a RN fight.
- Rank the robberies: RJJ-Si Hun Park, Pacquiao-Bradley 1, Whitaker-Chavez, Lewis-Holyfield 1, and DLH-Tito? 1. Jones-Park, 2. Pacquiao-Bradley, 3. Whitaker-Chavez, Lewis-Holyfield, 5. DLH-Tito.
- Worst robberies he saw ringside? Jose Armano Santa Cruz vs. Casamayor and Pacquiao-Bradley 1.
- Is Frampton the lineal champ at 126 after beating LSC? No.
- Selby vs. GRJ? Doubts it. Not a big money fight. Selby prefers Frampton as it is a much bigger fight and a unification. GRJ has a long overdue mandatory.
- Least deserving champ in any weight class over the last 20 years? Charles Martin.
- Updates on: Mares, Quigg, Bundrage, and Lee? Mares vs. Cueller could be rescheduled in California this fall, Quigg is still recovering from an injury, nothing from Bundrage, and Lee is taking the summer off and would like to fight before the end of the year.
- Schaefer has not officially signed any fighters yet. He doesn't have to, as he may promote some cards for Haymon.
- Has he considered making a PFP ducking list? Yes.
- Lewis vs. Mercer? He has a friend and they argue over the result all the time. He has it 96-94 for Lewis every time.
- Do not count on US TV for the Usyk fight.
- Steve Farhood regularly reads Dan's chats.
- Fan wrote in: wish Andy Lee had beaten BJS because now the belt is held hostage.
- No new updates with Salido vs. Lomachenko.
- Keith Thurman vs. Porter rematch? Possibly, but not this year.
- HBO will air GGG vs. Brook live in the afternoon and in the evening re-air GGG-Brook, along with Gonzalez-Cuadras and Soto Karass-Kamegai 2. Lampley and Hopkins will call GGG-Brook and Max, RJJ, and Lederman will do the other fights.
- GB was doing a great job with Ortiz, especially since they brought him back after the drug suspension. Ortiz and his team have had people in their ear and they screwed things up.

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
- Danny Garcia vs. Berto likely Oct. 15 at the Staples Center and on Showtime.
nah :camby:

- Mikey Garcia vs. Zlaticanin? In discussions, but not done. Very interesting matchup and a very tough fight for Garcia.
still a dope fight..mikey though should take a couple more fights to work off the ring rust

- The sanctioning bodies will eventually step in and strip Fury if he won't fight Wlad.
and the heavyweight title will get thrown into another mess..and the possibility of more struggle champions :francis:..old ass fres oquendo is actually on the brink of being a heavyweight champion right now :francis:

- The absence of headgear and pro style scoring has made Olympic boxing far more entertaining.
agreed

- Margarito's eye is a mess and it is shocking he continues to get licensed, but it is Mexico...
his eye will end up like israel vasquez when he is truly done

- The Canelo vs. Smith undercard is a disappointment. GB tried hard to make it better and it just didn't work out. Fights fell through.
- Canelo vs. Smith will not be in movie theaters.
card was on some bullshyt from day one :heh:

- Crawford vs. JMM at a catchweight? People complain about catchweights and they want Crawford to fight JMM at a catchweight when he has been inactive for over 2 years...get out of here.
nah..this shouldnt even be a rumor

- Crawford vs. Troyanovsky? Meh.
this would be a dope fight to me

- Jack vs. DeGale? The fight will get done, they are trying to get the location and date figured out.
shyt bring the fight to the northeast

- Jay Z has never lifted a finger to promote a RN fight.
very obvious :russ:

- Ward vs. Kovalev will be at T-Mobile arena in Vegas.
well there goes that plan to see it in NYC

- Least deserving champ in any weight class over the last 20 years? Charles Martin.
:mjlol: this guy will be a punchline for the rest of his career unless he can comeback from being beat down by joshua

- Lewis vs. Mercer? He has a friend and they argue over the result all the time. He has it 96-94 for Lewis every time.
mercer won that fight 96-94

- HBO will air GGG vs. Brook live in the afternoon and in the evening re-air GGG-Brook, along with Gonzalez-Cuadras and Soto Karass-Kamegai 2. Lampley and Hopkins will call GGG-Brook and Max, RJJ, and Lederman will do the other fights.
actually a decent HBO offering outside of the whole GGG-Brook thing which i dont rock with