Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Dan Rafael chat wrap 7/8:

GGG vs. Brook:
- Canelo vs. GGG? Believes it will happen, just not right now.
- Eubank turned down the GGG fight and Brook immediately accepted, he took the exact same offer that Eubank would have received.
- BJS and Eubank ducked GGG. Brook deserves credit for daring to be great. GGG should win the fight, but at least it is interesting.
- When guys want to make a fight, they get made. GGG vs. Brook took 2 days to make. Eubank and BJS could never agree with GGG, despite GGG agreeing to terms. Vargas got greedy and made the unification with Brook very difficult.
- Difference between Khan-Brook for Canelo and GGG? GGG has been begging to fight the top guys in his weight class and no one has accepted the fight. In the Khan fight, Canelo didn't try to negotiate with any top fighters near his weight class.
- Other than insisting on 160 lbs for his fights, GGG's camp is one of the easiest to work with. Loeffler is easy to negotiate with and GGG never makes crazy demands.
- This fight shouldn't be rated on the credit GGG gets if he wins, but rather being a big fight. GGG has been wanting a big fight. This gets him a big fight, until he can get Canelo in the ring.
- People can no longer criticize Brook for his choice of opponent.
- Brook probably will not be forced to vacate.
- BJS is a joke. He talks tough, but runs from every big fight.
- No idea what Vargas does next, but he blew a big opportunity vs. Brook.
- Vargas signed his end of the deal vs. Brook, but TR needed to add in their cut and the numbers were just too much for Matchroom.
- Critics of GGG fighting at 168 should remember he signed to fight JCC and JCC negotiations with TR stopped the fight. He also wanted Froch and it was Froch's side who passed on the fight. There hasn't been another been any other fights at 168 vs. top fighters who were available (Ward was unavailable due to legal issues).
- Most avoided fighters he remembers covering? GGG, Margarito, Paul Williams, Winky Wright, and Luis Ortiz.
- Should GGG have fought Lara? GGG vs. Brook is a bigger fight by 50x.

The rest of boxing:
- Ward's opponent isn't great, but he didn't have very many options - very few are willing to fight Ward. Shabranskyy turned down the fight. He wanted twice the amount of money HBO was offering.
- Suspects Schaefer will end up working with Showtime.
- The Wilder card is pretty solid considering the circumstances. The undercard is entertaining and Wilder vs. Arreola should be fun while it lasts.
- Prime Paul Williams vs. Thurman? Williams.
- Arum needs to be prepared in case Pacquiao decides to fight again, which is why he has reserved a date and Broner rumors are around. Arum lost a lot on Pacquiao vs. Bradley 3 and needs a marketable fight (Broner is the most marketable opponent available). But, things are so far away from being set, Pacquiao hasn't even said he will return to fight at all.
- Nothing concrete on Andrade vs. Lara.
- Kovalev beats Chilemba in the middle rounds.
- Roc Nation is trying to make a fall fight for Cotto vs. JMM. The big sticking point is weight. Cotto won't go below 150 and JMM wants it at 147.
- Klitschko vs. Fury 2 is likely October 29, but not official yet.
- BJS will likely be on the Canelo undercard.
- Canelo vs. Liam Smith will either be at Cowboys Stadium, MGM, or Mandalay Bay.

Last edited:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Dan Rafael chat wrap 7/8:

GGG vs. Brook:
- Canelo vs. GGG? Believes it will happen, just not right now.
- Eubank turned down the GGG fight and Brook immediately accepted, he took the exact same offer that Eubank would have received.
- BJS and Eubank ducked GGG. Brook deserves credit for daring to be great. GGG should win the fight, but at least it is interesting.
- When guys want to make a fight, they get made. GGG vs. Brook took 2 days to make. Eubank and BJS could never agree with GGG, despite GGG agreeing to terms. Vargas got greedy and made the unification with Brook very difficult.
- Difference between Khan-Brook for Canelo and GGG? GGG has been begging to fight the top guys in his weight class and no one has accepted the fight. In the Khan fight, Canelo didn't try to negotiate with any top fighters near his weight class.
- Other than insisting on 160 lbs for his fights, GGG's camp is one of the easiest to work with. Loeffler is easy to negotiate with and GGG never makes crazy demands.
- This fight shouldn't be rated on the credit GGG gets if he wins, but rather being a big fight. GGG has been wanting a big fight. This gets him a big fight, until he can get Canelo in the ring.
- BJS is a joke. He talks tough, but runs from every big fight.
- No idea what Vargas does next, but he blew a big opportunity vs. Brook.
- Vargas signed his end of the deal vs. Brook, but TR needed to add in their cut and the numbers were just too much for Matchroom.
- Critics of GGG fighting at 168 should remember he signed to fight JCC and JCC negotiations with TR stopped the fight. He also wanted Froch and it was Froch's side who passed on the fight. There hasn't been another been any other fights at 168 vs. top fighters who were available (Ward was unavailable due to legal issues).
- Most avoided fighters he remembers covering? GGG, Margarito, Paul Williams, Winky Wright, and Luis Ortiz.
- Should GGG have fought Lara? GGG vs. Brook is a bigger fight by 50x.

The rest of boxing:
- Ward's opponent isn't great, but he didn't have very many options - very few are willing to fight Ward. Shabranskyy turned down the fight. He wanted twice the amount of money HBO was offering.
- Suspects Schaefer will end up working with Showtime.
- The Wilder card is pretty solid considering the circumstances. The undercard is entertaining and Wilder vs. Arreola should be fun while it lasts.
- Prime Paul Williams vs. Thurman? Williams.
- Arum needs to be prepared in case Pacquiao decides to fight again, which is why he has reserved a date and Broner rumors are around. Arum lost a lot on Pacquiao vs. Bradley 3 and needs a marketable fight (Broner is the most marketable opponent available). But, things are so far away from being set, Pacquiao hasn't even said he will return to fight at all.
- Nothing concrete on Andrade vs. Lara.
- Kovalev beats Chilemba in the middle rounds.
- Roc Nation is trying to make a fall fight for Cotto vs. JMM. The big sticking point is weight. Cotto won't go below 150 and JMM wants it at 147.
- Klitschko vs. Fury 2 is likely October 29, but not official yet.
- BJS will likely be on the Canelo undercard.
- Canelo vs. Liam Smith will either be at Cowboys Stadium, MGM, or Mandalay Bay.

I like to read his answers but solely because he is an insider in boxing circles otherwise I'm fed up with this guy and his bias. Here he is again defending this ridiculous matchup, trying to sell it as some mighty bravery

Agreeing him on BJS though, that guy is really a disgrace

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps
I like the fight but I don't understand this fight for many reasons, on both sides -- so many variables with the business side of things.

Spence vs Vargas next?

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Imo, I see the talent gap between the clear cut best Middleweight in the world, who has KOd 22 Middleweights in a row, at the FULL 160 weight limit vs a Welterweight who's best opponent ever faced is Shawn Porter, and was almost KOd by Carson Jones in their 1st fight, as a little wider than Canelo vs Khan is for the simple fact that Khan's resume is > Brook's and he has accomplished more than Brook, plus Canelo fought him at 155 (and not 160) and Canelo isn't as devastating a puncher as GGG is.

Kell Brook has even less of a chance to beat GGG at the full 160 limit than Khan had to beat Canelo at 155 imo. I don't think anyone beats GGG at 160.....let alone a 147lber.

but see that's the thing fam. We not talking resume. Everyone knows Khan and Canelo rank higher in that department. We talking about head to head.

Even though Khan is the bigger name and better resume, most cats were still picking Brook to beat him. Ditto for Golovkin with Canelo.

I look at it like both them nikkas called each other up on some...

"I got a nikka with a bigger name and status that most people think I can beat, ducking this fade." :martin:

"Word, I'm I going through the same shyt breh.":francis:

"You know them nikkas ducked our fade and fought each other and then ducked us again right afterwards. :dwillhuh::mjcry::scust:

"How bout we fight each other then. Maybe that can be an event. Everyone think we avoiding big names anyway." :manny::ooh::myman::salute:

I don't condone the fight. It's another business meeting with boxing gloves as far as I'm concerned.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps

False. He does it cause he gave up on the big payday and being desperate he's okay now with plan C-D. Gets no credit for this from me. He would get credit if he would defend his belt against a top guy in HIS division. This fight can be only good for him.

Loses --> He still has a ww belt and people gonna say he was brave cause fought Golovkin

Wins somehow --> immediately becomes P4P # 1-3 or so probably 1.

So it's a no risk, high reward for him. Only thing he risks is a KO loss, he will get that but he won't mind.

Pretty much like Khan against Canelo. People there also said "how brave the guy is" while it was clear he was chasing the big payday and after plan A (May) and B (Pac) failed he went with plan C. Before that through 2-3 years he avoided everybody important so gets no credit for fighting Canelo. For that amount of money I would also let myself slaughtered by a bigger and better man you don't have to be a brave warrior to do that:pachaha:

Brook is so obsessed with Khan that now he copies this strategy but the biggest money fight he ca achieve is a Golovkin fight. :heh:

Yeah, sadly he can go back to beat tomato cans in Sheffield.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
I like to read his answers but solely because he is an insider in boxing circles otherwise I'm fed up with this guy and his bias. Here he is again defending this ridiculous matchup, trying to sell it as some mighty bravery

Agreeing him on BJS though, that guy is really a disgrace
Dan stans GGG, ain't no denying that, so I get why people are getting tired of his stanning. He does say that he posts a lot of GGG questions, because he is usually the fighter he gets asked about the most. So there are a lot of us #GGGoodBoys out there :blessed:.
As an insider he has some of the best info IMO, but his opinions can be :francis: . Still find it :martin: that he dismisses Thurman-Porter for FOTY vs. Vargas-Salido. Thurman-Porter meant so much more, we knew either guy could hurt the other at any time, both went into the fight being better fighters, and both were fighting to be potentially considered the guy at 147.

I try to separate the two because his chats were one of the key reasons I started watching boxing and stanning fighters. I have that sentimental side, like my love for Jim Lampley's commentating, since we had HBO growing up and no Showtime. :manny: