Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
Dont really care about the #'s because that will come. We're not even a year into PBC and the ratings talks is being (over)analyzed. Give it a year, hell maybe even two years once the heavy hitters are all being booked to face each other on PBC and then care about the ratings.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
A valid list of opponents for GGG between 154-168 (excluding Haymon fighters):

K9

2rLzXZ4.gif

Let's leave the gawd out of this :wow:

I have said it before I think Abel was talking wild and was recklessly trying to promote GGG. Look at GGG, he isn't a 168 lb fighter. That ESPN video shows it. Dude isn't that big. Seemed like Abel was the one trying to build GGG in a monster and telling all these stories to build hype. Everything I have seen from GGG he is courteous to everyone and gives other fighters lots of respect. Now it seems like Loeffler has taken the reigns and is leading the charge in speaking for GGG. Things have gotten a lot more reasonable and within the realm of what is actually possible.
Regarding GGG's opponents, like I said, I would like to see a piece written on his road to HBO. Since being on HBO I don't have a problem with his opponents. I think he has fought the best guys available and the majority have been top 10-15 opponents at 160. I wonder if pre-HBO if he struggled to get that marketing push (like Kovalev did) to find his way on major network TV. I do wonder if he wasn't a big enough name to get good fights, until HBO started marketing him. He did try to get Sturm pre-HBO and Sturm wouldn't take the fight. Since signing with HBO he has tried to get opponents...we know he would have taken Sergio, he has been begging for the lineal with Cotto-Canelo, asking for Lee or Lemiuex, he signed for JCC, and he was aggressively going after Froch. When it comes to his weight division - 160 - I think GGG has done everything that was available to him (since being on HBO).

You can't say it's just Abel when GGG has stated numerous times he would fight friends from 154-168 I don't have to name the fighters you being a ggg stan should know this :francis:

Now it's :whoa: he's not that big for mentioning fighters in a weight class HE said he could fight in. :francis: and I brought up he would the bigger man against one of the champions in that division and have similar reach.

Not just limited to that. We all stan fighters for different reasons. I limit the fighters I stan hard to two: GGG and Thurman. But of course there are many more guys I really like watching and all for different reasons (Lomachenko, Chocolatito, Donaire, Rigo, Mikey Garcia, Imam, Crawford, Matthysse, Bradley, etc).
Honestly I liked the GGG game plan more from the Stevens fight because he was cognizant that Stevens had power and didn't attack recklessly. He has gotten a bit reckless with his defense lately, I think trying to sell the "Mexican style" and build his fan base by being exciting. If he were to face Canelo, Cotto, Froch, Ward, or even Lemiuex, I think he would need to dial it back a bit and be more defensively responsible - which I think we have seen previously...would he go back and do it for a bigger fight?

In general I like that GGG has chosen to pursue an offensive style and to be aggressive. On pure offensive skillset I think he is one of the most gifted fighters going. He can throw nearly every punch, has great power, sets things up and is patient, and excellent offensive footwork. Until recently I thought he was about as defensively responsible as he could be in that style, but think he has become more lax on his defense recently.

I never slandered his skills. Just pointing out the hypocrisy he eats punches and it's :blessed: Wilder gets caught with a good shot and it's :scusthov:

Regarding Wilder...dude has tremendous potential, he needs seasoning and more fights. I really only think he throws two punches consistently, isn't great defensively, and has a chin that brings a question into each fight. But he is young, a huge puncher (even has a powerful jab) and we may not see him get exposed...the best could be yet to come from him. I also wouldn't be surprised if maybe he carried some of his recent fights to get more rounds as others suggested...if he did it backfired, because they ended up showing more vulnerabilities. That power though...always a great equalizer to have as you build the rest of your game. I like the idea of him getting Arreola. That would be another good fight for him to learn stuff against a rugged fighter who has the skillset to take advantage of lesser fighters. I don't think Wilder is Seth Mitchell, he should win and gain some good experience.

The reason I brought up Wilder is all of shookboys dap me up when I slander Wilder for the same shyt I slander GGG for despite him being younger with the better resume than ggg had at his age. Yet when I do the same to ggg it's :whoa: I'm trying to figure out why and I still haven't :francis:

You're saying nice words about him now that I brought it up where were these nice words weeks ago :sas1:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
2rLzXZ4.gif

Let's leave the gawd out of this :wow:

You can't say it's just Abel when GGG has stated numerous times he would fight friends from 154-168 I don't have to name the fighters you being a ggg stan should know this :francis:

Now it's :whoa: he's not that big for mentioning fighters in a weight class HE said he could fight in. :francis: and I brought up he would the bigger man against one of the champions in that division and have similar reach.
Maybe my memory is just :sadcam:, but I remember Abel calling out everyone and GGG being much more polite with it. He's called out big names at 168, but I honestly don't remember calling out 168 - in a way that meant he was going to fight there full time. I always interpreted it as 168 was called out for the right fight. :manny:

I never slandered his skills. Just pointing out the hypocrisy he eats punches and it's :blessed: Wilder gets caught with a good shot and it's :scusthov:

The reason I brought up Wilder is all of shookboys dap me up when I slander Wilder for the same shyt I slander GGG for despite him being younger with the better resume than ggg had at his age. Yet when I do the same to ggg it's :whoa: I'm trying to figure out why and I still haven't :francis:

You're saying nice words about him now that I brought it up where were these nice words weeks ago :sas1:
GGG eats some punches, obviously as you know a product of his style. In his case I happen to find it entertaining and he has enough skills that it feels like he can exist as a top fighter.

I don't know why others are slandering Wilder. Sometimes I think people like to jump on the bandwagon early to call a fighter a bum or great far too soon. Reality is with all these guys we have to wait and see to make real judgments. Wilder is young and a lot could change in his career.
I know I haven't been high on him, just because I wasn't sold he could compete against the top HW's below Wlad. The Stiverne fight impressed me, he made easy work of Stiverne, maybe could have knocked him out if he didn't hurt his hand. I thought he would lose, but I also tabbed it as the fight that would show if he lost that he probably was a fraud and if he won than he had a chance to do something in the division. He looked good. I still don't like a lot about his style, he jabs from the outside and waits and waits and waits some more to land that right hand. He is an athlete with a huge wingspan and great power, I would like to see him build his offensive repertoire as I think with a few more offensive options he becomes a problem for everyone. The Stiverne fight had me rethinking about his chin...and then Molina got it and now I'm :francis:. It isn't made of paper, but it looks like he needs to be careful against getting caught. Throw in the fact I actually don't care much for HW's. HW fights are just awkward to me. They seem to get the most publicity and attention from the general population, but the flow of HW fights isn't my style. With the size of the guys in the HW division they don't move around the ring gracefully and have the same quick hand, feet, and head movement. I prefer watching 122 to 175 from a visual standpoint.

A lot of times I choose my favorite fighters with a heavy influence on their personality and I like GGG's and Thurman's personalities. Two of the best in the game right now. With a lot of guys I may not find anything that interests me about their personality, so I just like watching them as a fighter. I feel that way about Wilder. I am interested in him as a fighter and seeing what he does, but I don't have much interest in his personality. He's one of the guys I just choose to talk about with how I think he looks in the ring.

Last edited:

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Maybe my memory is just :sadcam:, but I remember Abel calling out everyone and GGG being much more polite with it. He's called out big names at 168, but I honestly don't remember calling out 168 - in a way that meant he was going to fight there full time. I always interpreted it as 168 was called out for the right fight. :manny:

GGG eats some punches, obviously as you know a product of his style. In his case I happen to find it entertaining and he has enough skills that it feels like he can exist as a top fighter.

I don't know why others are slandering Wilder. Sometimes I think people like to jump on the bandwagon early to call a fighter a bum or great far too soon. Reality is with all these guys we have to wait and see to make real judgments. Wilder is young and a lot could change in his career.
I know I haven't been high on him, just because I wasn't sold he could compete against the top HW's below Wlad. The Stiverne fight impressed me, he made easy work of Stiverne, maybe could have knocked him out if he didn't hurt his hand. I thought he would lose, but I also tabbed it as the fight that would show if he lost that he probably was a fraud and if he won than he had a chance to do something in the division. He looked good. I still don't like a lot about his style, he jabs from the outside and waits and waits and waits some more to land that right hand. He is an athlete with a huge wingspan and great power, I would like to see him build his offensive repertoire as I think with a few more offensive options he becomes a problem for everyone. The Stiverne fight had me rethinking about his chin...and then Molina got it and now I'm :francis:. It isn't made of paper, but it looks like he needs to be careful against getting caught. Throw in the fact I actually don't care much for HW's. HW fights are just awkward to me. They seem to get the most publicity and attention from the general population, but the flow of HW fights isn't my style. With the size of the guys in the HW division they don't move around the ring gracefully and have the same quick hand, feet, and head movement. I prefer watching 122 to 175 from a visual standpoint.

A lot of times I choose my favorite fighters with a heavy influence on their personality and I like GGG's and Thurman's personalities. Two of the best in the game right now. With a lot of guys I may not find anything that interests me about their personality, so I just like watching them as a fighter. I feel that way about Wilder. I am interested in him as a fighter and seeing what he does, but I don't have much interest in his personality. He's one of the guys I just choose to talk about with how I think he looks in the ring.

Don't confuse me as a Wilder stan breh I don't give a fukk about him. :manny: he only has one stan here who I give shyt to for the same reason I give shyt to shookboys. I just notice the brehs who are throwing rocks with me :whoa: when it comes to ggg and it's for the same reasons.

Even borderline shookboy @patscorpio got it from me in regard to the sauna man up until recently, if anything I'm fair and balanced in regards to jobber killers :mjpls:

the American middle class is having enough of a hard time we dont need our teachers, janitors and garbagemen beat up by world class fighters :francis: