Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Did you skip over the part where I said a full division of guys at 168 would fight him? Or was GGG dishonest in that anyone from 154-168 can get it?

He is fighting better fighters than GGG was at his age. :sas1:
I have said it before I think Abel was talking wild and was recklessly trying to promote GGG. Look at GGG, he isn't a 168 lb fighter. That ESPN video shows it. Dude isn't that big. Seemed like Abel was the one trying to build GGG in a monster and telling all these stories to build hype. Everything I have seen from GGG he is courteous to everyone and gives other fighters lots of respect. Now it seems like Loeffler has taken the reigns and is leading the charge in speaking for GGG. Things have gotten a lot more reasonable and within the realm of what is actually possible.
Regarding GGG's opponents, like I said, I would like to see a piece written on his road to HBO. Since being on HBO I don't have a problem with his opponents. I think he has fought the best guys available and the majority have been top 10-15 opponents at 160. I wonder if pre-HBO if he struggled to get that marketing push (like Kovalev did) to find his way on major network TV. I do wonder if he wasn't a big enough name to get good fights, until HBO started marketing him. He did try to get Sturm pre-HBO and Sturm wouldn't take the fight. Since signing with HBO he has tried to get opponents...we know he would have taken Sergio, he has been begging for the lineal with Cotto-Canelo, asking for Lee or Lemiuex, he signed for JCC, and he was aggressively going after Froch. When it comes to his weight division - 160 - I think GGG has done everything that was available to him (since being on HBO).

His skillset is what you have a problem with? You prefer more of a block punches with your face Mexican style skillset :patrice:
Not just limited to that. We all stan fighters for different reasons. I limit the fighters I stan hard to two: GGG and Thurman. But of course there are many more guys I really like watching and all for different reasons (Lomachenko, Chocolatito, Donaire, Rigo, Mikey Garcia, Imam, Crawford, Matthysse, Bradley, etc).
Honestly I liked the GGG game plan more from the Stevens fight because he was cognizant that Stevens had power and didn't attack recklessly. He has gotten a bit reckless with his defense lately, I think trying to sell the "Mexican style" and build his fan base by being exciting. If he were to face Canelo, Cotto, Froch, Ward, or even Lemiuex, I think he would need to dial it back a bit and be more defensively responsible - which I think we have seen previously...would he go back and do it for a bigger fight?

In general I like that GGG has chosen to pursue an offensive style and to be aggressive. On pure offensive skillset I think he is one of the most gifted fighters going. He can throw nearly every punch, has great power, sets things up and is patient, and excellent offensive footwork. Until recently I thought he was about as defensively responsible as he could be in that style, but think he has become more lax on his defense recently.

Regarding Wilder...dude has tremendous potential, he needs seasoning and more fights. I really only think he throws two punches consistently, isn't great defensively, and has a chin that brings a question into each fight. But he is young, a huge puncher (even has a powerful jab) and we may not see him get exposed...the best could be yet to come from him. I also wouldn't be surprised if maybe he carried some of his recent fights to get more rounds as others suggested...if he did it backfired, because they ended up showing more vulnerabilities. That power though...always a great equalizer to have as you build the rest of your game. I like the idea of him getting Arreola. That would be another good fight for him to learn stuff against a rugged fighter who has the skillset to take advantage of lesser fighters. I don't think Wilder is Seth Mitchell, he should win and gain some good experience.

Yup nikkas will say he too small for 168 like we're the one who brought up that weight class and nor team ggg. Meanwhile in reality there are champions at Super middle shorter than GGG is :francis:

This dude just wanted to feast on bums :francis:
Shorter yes, but look at his build. You saw the video earlier in this thread. He doesn't carry a lot of bulk and doesn't look like he carries a lot of weight naturally like some guys at 168 do.
Weight can be like power as well. Power is often unexplained where some guys have it and some don't. People can be the same height and some guys just carry weight differently. Look at Willie Nelson, dude is 6'3", if we go by height dude could be a LHW or Cruiserweight, but he just fought at 154.

Last edited:

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
No excuse for them numbers breh...none. 1.1 million is weak on free TV:manny:

Are these numbers goin inflate some more like last time or is this it??

Regardless 4 Milly peak to 1 Milly peak :scusthov:

I was expecting mid to high 2s at the very least

Looks like you know who... is goin have to save the day once again for Allah

:swift#1:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
@krackdagawd, all this talk of stanning fighters and defending them is reminding me of my group I stanned when I first got into boxing. I am just getting back into boxing the last few years, didn't have HBO or Showtime for the longest time and stopped following the sport as much. So right now I only stan a couple guys and the rest I just really enjoy watching them fight.

Back in the day though...RJJ, Mosley, Hamed, and PBF was my crew. :ohlawd:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Are these numbers goin inflate some more like last time or is this it??

Regardless 4 Milly peak to 1 Milly peak :scusthov:

I was expecting mid to high 2s at the very least

Looks like you know who... is goin have to save the day once again for Allah

:swift#1:

Robert Guerrero is a fukkin draw :russ:

We all thought it was one time... But it was Ghost N AB on the undercard all along :dead:

Breh, me and you both know the #PBCBoyz is Swift and AB. People wanna put Thurman up in that spot, but the numbers dont lie:yeshrug:

Swift is #1 followed by AB as far as PBC draw:wow:

PBC on ESPN Averages 799K Viewers, Peaks at 1.1 Million

Posted by: Jake Donovan on 7/14/2015 .

>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

By Jake Donovan

The July 11 debut of Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) on ESPN didn’t jump out to the start that event handlers had hoped, drawing an average of 799,000 viewers over the course of a busy sports evening.

Topping the show, Keith Thurman survived a rough 5th round ending to force Luis Collazo to quit on his stool prior to the start of round eight. The bout peaked at 1.1 million viewers.

Opening the card, Willie Nelson rallied from a deficit on the cards to score an upset 9th round knockout of previously unbeaten Tony Harrison in their junior middleweight clash.

Regarding any telecast’s “sweet spot”, the event drew a 0.3 rating in the coveted 18-49 market—the number of viewers whose age ranges from 18-49 years of age.

The show produced favorable numbers when limiting comparisons to other boxing events. However, it was toppled in the ratings by NASCAR, as well as Fox Sports 1’s preliminary coverage of UFC 189

Overall, the numbers were down from a special edition of boxing in primetime on ESPN just over a year ago, when Bermane Stiverne knocked out Chris Arreola in the 6th round of their rematch last May.

As the lion’s share of boxing content had come from ESPN2 through its long-running Friday Night Fight series, ESPN experimented with prime time boxing coverage on its flagship station. The results from the Stiverne-Arreola rematch were favorable both in the ring and in terms of ratings expectations, drawing an average of 940,000 viewers, including 348,000 viewers in the 18-49 market.

Saturday’s show—the first on any ESPN outlet since ESPN2 closed the doors on Friday Night Fights in May—at USF Sun Dome in Tampa didn’t perform quite as favorably, which can be viewed one of two ways. The optimist would say that it’s a good start, a foundation on which to build.

The opposing view would point out that current trends—while still very early—suggest that starting points for PBC-aired events in fact turn out to be the high point.

Thurman’s 12-round win over Robert Guerrero headlined the first-ever PBC card, airing live in prime time on NBC. The March 7 show averaged 3.4 million viewers, peaking at more than 4 million. It remains the highest rated network telecast of 2015, with subsequent showings in April and June going in reverse, although still holding strong in the 18-49 market, which remains the series’ primary focus.

Numbers for PBC on Spike TV remain all over the produce. The series premiere on the network—Andre Berto’s knockout win over Josesito Lopez on March 13—exceeded expectations, in fact setting records for the network with its ratings for the Friday night time slot.

Performing equally well was the May 29 installment, in which Amir Khan outpointed Chris Algieri. Both events peaked at over 1 million viewers. Not quite making a dent, however, were events on April 24 (Badou Jack’s title-winning effort over Anthony Dirrell) and June 12 (Erislandy Lara’s points win over Delvin Rodriguez in a stinker of a bout), the latter producing the lowest rating of any PBC event to date.

PBC on ESPN returns August 1, airing live from Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Danny Garcia—who also followed Thurman’s lead in headlining the second installment of PBC on NBC, which aired in April—tops the bill as he faces Brooklyn’s own Paul Malignaggi in a 12-round welterweight bout. The fight is Garcia’s first since abandoning his World 140 lb. crown.

Jake Donovan is the managing editor of BoxingScene.com. Twitter: @JakeNDaBox

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=93497

The UFC 189 preliminary card outdrew him...nevermind the actual PPV :wow:

Willy Waffle

Willy Da Waffleman
Daps
Reppin
#GIANTS #KNICKS #RANGERS
No excuse for them numbers breh...none. 1.1 million is weak on free TV:manny:

it was collazo-thurman :manny: don't know what yah was expecting, but i was thinking 1.5M the most. 2-3M never entered my mind honestly. Lot of people were watching that UFC card though. FNF usually got 200-300K, this card did 3-4x that. Aint that bad imo considering it wasn't that big of a fight. I think Garcia-Malignaggi will outdo those numbers though.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Even ESPN is saying the numbers were a bit disappointing. I watched live though...I thought the ESPN presentation was >>> than the other PBC broadcasts.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
it was collazo-thurman :manny: don't know what yah was expecting, but i was thinking 1.5M the most. 2-3M never entered my mind honestly. Lot of people were watching that UFC card though. FNF usually got 200-300K, this card did 3-4x that. Aint that bad imo considering it wasn't that big of a fight. I think Garcia-Malignaggi will outdo those numbers though.

Breh.....the UFC PRELIMINARY card out drew Thurman vs Collazo:comeon:

Preliminary, not the actual UFC 189 PPV that you pay for.....we talking about the time when the bums fight before you even GET to the real undercard. THAT outdrew Thurman vs Collazo:usure:

Those numbers are weak for a draw that Thurman was supposed to be.

You dont put up 4+ milly, and bouce back with 3 million LESS in your very next fight....that's like a 75% drop in viewership

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Breh, me and you both know the #PBCBoyz is Swift and AB. People wanna put Thurman up in that spot, but the numbers dont lie:yeshrug:

Swift is #1 followed by AB as far as PBC draw:wow:

PBC on ESPN Averages 799K Viewers, Peaks at 1.1 Million

Posted by: Jake Donovan on 7/14/2015 .

>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

By Jake Donovan

The July 11 debut of Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) on ESPN didn’t jump out to the start that event handlers had hoped, drawing an average of 799,000 viewers over the course of a busy sports evening.

Topping the show, Keith Thurman survived a rough 5th round ending to force Luis Collazo to quit on his stool prior to the start of round eight. The bout peaked at 1.1 million viewers.

Opening the card, Willie Nelson rallied from a deficit on the cards to score an upset 9th round knockout of previously unbeaten Tony Harrison in their junior middleweight clash.

Regarding any telecast’s “sweet spot”, the event drew a 0.3 rating in the coveted 18-49 market—the number of viewers whose age ranges from 18-49 years of age.

The show produced favorable numbers when limiting comparisons to other boxing events. However, it was toppled in the ratings by NASCAR, as well as Fox Sports 1’s preliminary coverage of UFC 189

Overall, the numbers were down from a special edition of boxing in primetime on ESPN just over a year ago, when Bermane Stiverne knocked out Chris Arreola in the 6th round of their rematch last May.

As the lion’s share of boxing content had come from ESPN2 through its long-running Friday Night Fight series, ESPN experimented with prime time boxing coverage on its flagship station. The results from the Stiverne-Arreola rematch were favorable both in the ring and in terms of ratings expectations, drawing an average of 940,000 viewers, including 348,000 viewers in the 18-49 market.

Saturday’s show—the first on any ESPN outlet since ESPN2 closed the doors on Friday Night Fights in May—at USF Sun Dome in Tampa didn’t perform quite as favorably, which can be viewed one of two ways. The optimist would say that it’s a good start, a foundation on which to build.

The opposing view would point out that current trends—while still very early—suggest that starting points for PBC-aired events in fact turn out to be the high point.

Thurman’s 12-round win over Robert Guerrero headlined the first-ever PBC card, airing live in prime time on NBC. The March 7 show averaged 3.4 million viewers, peaking at more than 4 million. It remains the highest rated network telecast of 2015, with subsequent showings in April and June going in reverse, although still holding strong in the 18-49 market, which remains the series’ primary focus.

Numbers for PBC on Spike TV remain all over the produce. The series premiere on the network—Andre Berto’s knockout win over Josesito Lopez on March 13—exceeded expectations, in fact setting records for the network with its ratings for the Friday night time slot.

Performing equally well was the May 29 installment, in which Amir Khan outpointed Chris Algieri. Both events peaked at over 1 million viewers. Not quite making a dent, however, were events on April 24 (Badou Jack’s title-winning effort over Anthony Dirrell) and June 12 (Erislandy Lara’s points win over Delvin Rodriguez in a stinker of a bout), the latter producing the lowest rating of any PBC event to date.

PBC on ESPN returns August 1, airing live from Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Danny Garcia—who also followed Thurman’s lead in headlining the second installment of PBC on NBC, which aired in April—tops the bill as he faces Brooklyn’s own Paul Malignaggi in a 12-round welterweight bout. The fight is Garcia’s first since abandoning his World 140 lb. crown.

Jake Donovan is the managing editor of BoxingScene.com. Twitter: @JakeNDaBox

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=93497

The UFC 189 preliminary card outdrew him...nevermind the actual PPV :wow:

NASCAR is a fukking draw :manny:

I still think if Swift PED didn't go up against NASCAR it would a did 4 Milly

Losing UFC prelimns tho :beli:

Khan vs Algieri
Berto vs Lopez

Did better on a Friday night on Spike

Gurrero fought a short order cook at noon N did the same numbers

After all this im very interested in what PBC does with Ghost

He either gets built up N PBC eats off one more tune up

Or they cash him out N really eat off of
Swift vs Ghost
Khan vs Ghost
Berto vs Ghost
AB vs Ghost

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
NASCAR is a fukking draw :manny:

I still think if Swift PED didn't go up against NASCAR it would a did 4 Milly

Losing UFC prelimns tho :beli:

Khan vs Algieri
Berto vs Lopez

Did better on a Friday night on Spike

Gurrero fought a short order cook at noon N did the same numbers

After all this im very interested in what PBC does with Ghost

He either gets built up N PBC eats off one more tune up

Or they cash him out N really eat off of
Swift vs Ghost
Khan vs Ghost
Berto vs Ghost
AB vs Ghost

I would like to see all of them fights, but AB vs Ghost should happen at 140....since both of them need to stay at 140 or below.

Willy Waffle

Willy Da Waffleman
Daps
Reppin
#GIANTS #KNICKS #RANGERS
Breh.....the UFC PRELIMINARY card out drew Thurman vs Collazo:comeon:

Preliminary, not the actual UFC 189 PPV that you pay for.....we talking about the time when the bums fight before you even GET to the real undercard. THAT outdrew Thurman vs Collazo:usure:

Those numbers are weak for a draw that Thurman was supposed to be.

You dont put up 4+ milly, and bouce back with 3 million LESS in your very next fight....that's like a 75% drop in viewership

:beli:

What draw is thurman supposed to be? yah must be out of yah mind if anyone was expecting thurman to do #'s by himself, after the guerrero fight and it was the 1st PBC card. Thurman sold only 4100K tickets for the fight :laff:, so once again what was anyone expecting him to do ratings wise. He's not a draw yet, but at the same time he didn't have a dance partner :manny: