Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Hes the only fighter with an old school mentality left :manny:
Canelo and Bradley have that old school mentality and don't turn into Maidanabean. Broner talks like he does but when you look at his
so thurman isnt right? :ld:

I like Spence but his best win is a 3 days prep Lo Greco
Look back two years ago what was Keith doing ? Crashing paulies press conferences ? I didn't say he wasn't right but he sounds like a massive hypocrite

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
We need a stream

11224573_400633363469485_5128523128217378973_n.jpg
Golovkin always looks like a normal sized dude who doesn't carry much weight. I have always been surprised that Abel was so aggressive in calling out fighters at 168.
Saw a good article received talking how historically the jump from 160 to 168 is the hardest weight jump in boxing.
GGG has fought at 160 his entire career and still makes it easily. Personally I don't think he his big enough to fight at 168 full time, like some people here say. He knows himself and who he has sparred with, so it may be worth it to move up for one off type fights (Froch, JCC, Ward).
Seems like GGG's camp has told Abel to quit talking so much and Loeffler has been the front man more lately and talking more reasonable.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Friend SOGGANG have been telling you this for years even quoting Nigel Benn the gawd and you nikkas don't listen. Won't be no Mexican style at 168 :francis:
You can't find a single comment of me ever saying someone from 160 is going to go to 168 and hurting someone else. :ehavb:

Sorry I don't fit into your blanket arguments against Golovkin stans, friend. You gotta wake up a bit earlier against the God of the Good Boys :blessed:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
I will try looking for it, but I honestly don't remember where I saw it at.

It was written as a cautionary tale for GGG in regards to moving from 160 to 168. It never said he couldn't do it, it was written with the argument from the author that in his opinion the move from MW to SMW was the hardest and where the change in weight was noticed the most, using historical references .

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
I will try looking for it, but I honestly don't remember where I saw it at.

It was written as a cautionary tale for GGG in regards to moving from 160 to 168. It never said he couldn't do it, it was written with the argument from the author that in his opinion the move from MW to SMW was the hardest and where the change in weight was noticed the most, using historical references .
Yeah just reading up on the historical examples is what I'd love to see the most. Last I can really think of are JCCjr who has no division and Jermain Taylor.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
You can't find a single comment of me ever saying someone from 160 is going to go to 168 and hurting someone else. :ehavb:

Sorry I don't fit into your blanket arguments against Golovkin stans, friend. You gotta wake up a bit earlier against the God of the Good Boys :blessed:

you all look the same to me :smugbiden:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Yeah just reading up on the historical examples is what I'd love to see the most. Last I can really think of are JCCjr who has no division and Jermain Taylor.
I found it:

http://www.boxingscene.com/daily-bread-mailbag-khan-algieri-ggg-more--91249

Hey Bread,

We always talk about Mayweather or Pacman vs the fabulous 4. It is not quite fair to match Floyd and Manny with top welter weights when their prime years were at smaller weights. I agree with your assessment and you can easily find other great welter weights that would have given challenging matches to them and the fab 4. Why do people rarely ever mention Jose Napoles vs May/Pac/Leonard/Hearns. There were so many good fighters but Jose is Top 10 all time great welter. He was in the wrong era for his weight. My question is people do not talk about how GGG is a big modern (this decade) 160lbs. He is typically bigger, stronger and a better boxer than his opponents. However, I do not believe he will beat top super middleweights like Ward, Degale, or Dirrells (Anthony under estimated Badou). GGG is a very good fighter and can do it all box, bang, defend but I believe the speed and size of super middle weights are to much for him to overcome. He should stay at 160 and continue to dominate, what are your thoughts on that?

Bread’s Response: Oscar De La Hoya and Shane Mosley had great years at lightweight and they get hypothetically matched with welterweights from the past. Floyd Mayweather has been a welterweight for 10 years now and Manny Pacquiao for 7 years. They have both had some of their career best performances at the weight. It’s more than fair to match them with welterweights.

Jose Napoles is a great fighter. People don’t write in about him because great fighters who weren’t superstars often get overlooked if you are not a hardcore boxing guy. I actually talked about Ray Leonard vs Jose Naploes with some boxing minds a few weeks ago. Guys like Napoles, Eder Jofre, Emille Griffith, Fidel Labarba, Eusabio Pedraza etc etc always get overlooked. Napoles would be a handful for both Mayweather and Pacquiao and in multiple fight series I would expect to win at least one vs the dynamic duo.

The biggest jump in boxing is from 160-168. Very few elite fighters at 160 turn out to be just as good at 168. If you look close it has not happened in the last 20 years. The last group of guys who excelled at 160 and equally at 168 was Roy Jones, James Toney, Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn. Those fighter’s primes were 20 years ago. Since then Kelly Pavlik, Jermaine Taylor and Arthur Abraham have all been the standouts who have tried with spotty success. Abraham was undefeated as a 160 pounder. He has incurred all of his career losses at 168. I think weight jumping is special but once you get past 147lbs you have to be truly special and even then weight jumping is not for everybody. Once you get to 160lbs you enter another place for greatness. Think bout that.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if GGG hits a roadblock at 168 and he starts losing as much as he wins when he gets up there. He’s 33 years old now and he would give up the physicality that makes him a wrecking ball to the middleweights.

This one I just found and he addresses it as well:
http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article.php?aid=26749

Speaking of Gennady "GGG" Golvkin moving up from 160 to 168 pounds, I've heard you mention often that from 160-168 is the hardest move up in boxing. So, in the last 30 years or so, who has made that leap successfully? I came up with Roy Jones Jr., James Toney, and to a much lesser extent, Arthur Abraham and Nigel Benn. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch though. Who would you favor in the following match-ups featuring GGG:
GGG-Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin
GGG-Miguel Cotto
GGG-Carl Froch
GGG-Mikkel Kessler
GGG-Andre Ward
Also, how about featherweight Vasyl Lomachencko against the current best at featherweight? How would he fare against Nicholas Walters, Abner Mares, Nonito Donaire or Jhonny Gonzalez? --Best, GC

Bread’s Response: You got it Jones, Toney and Abraham and Benn to a lesser extent were guys who made the jump from 160-168. I favor GGG to stop everybody on the list except Ward. I think Ward beats him.

[Editor's note: Iran Barlkey deserves a shout out here. The former middleweight champion moved up to 168 and captured the IBF title in 1992 and then beat Thomas Hearns two months later for a light heavyweight championship]

I like Lomanchenko to beat all of the guys you named. He’s going to take off after that Gary Russell fight.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
I'll just keep racking up these W's :wow: I got like 20 straight stoppages against the SonsOfEarlyMorningPaidProgramming :dwillhuh:

:mjlol: at u racking up imaginary W's meanwhile in reality we undefeated and SOGGANG the deepest crew in the ring :sog:

As far as ggg enjoy them while you still can nikka in his mid 30s
QkqAYyB.png

Reign on top short like leprechauns
QkqAYyB.png

Last edited: