Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
I understand

Yeah watch the fight, it wasnt just the cards it was also a corrupt ref who called a clear KD by Murray a slip

fight was close but I feel if it was fair he would of won by ud

scored it a draw or maybe a 1 point win for martin. 8th round kd would be difference but i could see some saying martinez still outboxed him. the 2nd one was clearly a kd for murray but the ref is stupid.(but i still had to judge based off of his decision ):ehh:

sm-1,2,3,4,7,11
mm-5,6,8,9,10,12

bad news-martinez was old as fukk/out of prime....2nd to last fight.

i dont go crazy over guys beating outofprime champs, just like with norris/hector beating ray leonard.:francis:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
i look at it like this, who have you beaten thats B level or A-level?

i cant say u are elite until you have beaten the elite.

see i know we like to praise/hype guys/prospects that we like but in reality they are only as good as the comp they have beaten in the ring.

thats like me saying crawford is A-level .......lol HOW? he hasnt beaten anyone on that level. now i can say he has potential to be A-level but he has not proven it.

now i know you believe he beat martinez but he didn't get the official decision. i dont worship judges decisions but unfortunately they are the only score cards that matter. ill look at that fight to see what big fuss is about.

:sas1:

Um-hmm:sas2:

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
Flint teen fighter with boxing in his blood heads to Russia as America's top-ranked junior

-eb8c1e9bb38b1bfd.jpg

Leon Lawson III is a two-time Junior Olympic champion at the his training gym in Flint, Mich. on Wednesday July 8, 2015. Lawson is also the younger cousin of Flint pro boxers Andre and Anthony Dirrell

Whenever Leon Lawson III needs any extra motivation to enter the boxing gym, he pulls out his cell phone.
Stored in his videos is a special 15-second message from pound-for-pound boxing king, Floyd Mayweather Jr.

"Lil' Leon, we need you working hard, young champion," Mayweather points at the camera. "Stay focused ... listen to your parents, your grandparents. School is very important. Hard work, dedication, prayers and belief and family and can't nobody stop you."

At least once a month, Lawson plays the clip to hear Mayweather's advice. He dreams of reaching that professional level one day.
Already a seven-time national champion, the 15-year-old Flint resident has over 100 amateur fights. From Sept. 2-13, he will be in St. Petersburg, Russia, to represent Team USA at the 2015 Junior Men's World Championships. He qualified for his first international tournament in June after claiming his second straight Junior Olympic title with a split-decision victory over Colorado's Andres Borrego.
Lawson is America's top-ranked junior boxer in the 138-pound weight division. The Genesee County-based Universal Kidney Foundation sponsors most of his trips.

"I do what I have to do, so there's never any pressure," Lawson said. "I'm sure that my family is planning on me to be a top fighter so I'm going to keep working hard to become one."

In Flint, Lawson's family is boxing royalty. His grandfather Leon "Bumper" Lawson, the patriarch, is a lifelong friend and former sparring partner of Muhammad Ali. His cousins Andre and Anthony Dirrell are both top super middleweight contenders. Anthony is the former WBC titleholder and Andre is a 2004 Olympic bronze medalist. Even his father and coach, Leon Lawson Jr., 34, boxed in roughly 20 amateur bouts and helped train Andre and Anthony earlier in their careers.

Experiencing the highs and lows of his family's successes and failures, in and out of the ring, have helped mold his son into a champion, Leon Jr. says. Lawson has witnessed most of his cousins' wins and losses, with a ringside seat, so as a teenager he has inside knowledge to the fight game.

"It's going to be bumps in the road, that's just life, but we want to make the best decisions that are best for his career," Lawson Jr. said. "Right now, I'm saying we're going to turn pro when he turns 18 but I have to play it by ear and decide when the time gets here."
Lawson visited local gyms with his dad before he could walk and talk. He won his first bout at 7 years old in Port Huron. He was so young that his dad said he lied about his son's age for him to compete against an older fighter.

-2cb962101630a198.jpg

By 8 years old, his grandfather introduced him to Ali.

Mayweather's father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., and "Bumper" Lawson developed a close bond through the Michigan amateur ranks, where they frequently ran into each other at tournaments. That's how Leon Lawson Jr. taped the inspirational clip from the younger Mayweather while visiting the Grand Rapids native at his mansion in the Sin City after a 2012 bout with Miguel Cotto. In 2013, Lawson took a trip to Las Vegas to watch Mayweather train for a fight against Marcos Maidana.

Lawson Jr. says he's raised his son to become a future world champion through these tactics. He attended Grand Blanc High School as a freshman but has plans of being home schooled this upcoming year.

Andre Dirrell lives in Boca Raton, Fla., with his family but is always around to offer advice.
"He's already accomplished so much in the time period he's been in the sport," Dirrell said. "At 15, I only won three nationals so he's exceeded that greatly. He's taking his father's advice very well.

"He sees the mistakes we've made so he knows what to do and what not to do," he added. "With him coming up as one of the last ones in our family, I think that's enough pressure for him to keep doing what he's doing."

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
what's ur beef with me now?:yeshrug::russ:

No beef. Im just glad you've finally accepted it. It took me a while too, but at the end of the day (no matter how much anyone argues their scorecard), only the judges cards matter:manny:

I keep scorecards for my own personal reference (so when Im picking a winner for a fight, I can remember if they struggled or not with similar opposition), but when it comes down to the win/loss decision...it is all up to the judges:yeshrug: