Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Mickey Bey backs out of Shafikov fight, vacates lightweight world title
8h - Boxing
i

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
Close
  • 2013 BWAA Nat Fleischer Award winner for excellence in boxing journalism
  • ESPN.com boxing writer since 2005
  • Five years at USA Today
Follow on Twitter

Although Mickey Bey signed a contract to go to Macau, China, to make a mandatory defense of his lightweight world title against Denis Shafikov on July 18, he has backed out of the fight and the title is now vacant.

Officially, Bey relinquished the 135-pound belt, but the IBF was poised to strip him anyway for failing to live up to his contractual obligation.

"The IBF informed us that Mickey Bey is no longer recognized as their lightweight champion. Besides saying thank you, my initial response was what took so long," Carl Moretti, vice president of Shafikov promoter Top Rank, told ESPN.com.

Shafikov, who will still fight on the July 18 card in a 10-round nontitle bout against an opponent to be determined, has been ordered to face former junior lightweight titlist Rances Barthelemy (23-0, 13 KOs) for the vacant belt, although Barthelemy fought June 21 at junior welterweight and it remains to be seen whether he will come back down in weight to face Shafikov. If he doesn't, the IBF will go down its list of ranked fighters at 135 pounds until the next leading available contender accepts the bout. If the Shafikov and Barthelemy camps don't make a deal by July 25, a purse bid will be ordered.

As for Bey, this is the end of a disappointing title reign. He claimed the belt by controversial split decision against Miguel Vazquez last September on the Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana II undercard in one of the most critically panned title bouts in recent memory. It was an action-free snoozefest that had the crowd booing from the outset.

Bey (21-1, 10 KOs), 32, a Cleveland native living in Las Vegas, never defended the title. He was scheduled to face Shafikov on April 30 in an ESPN2 main event in Las Vegas two nights before the Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao megafight.

Moretti and Leonard Ellerbe of Mayweather Promotions were even able to make a deal for the bout despite the poor relationship between the companies. However, Bey ultimately turned down a purse of about $200,000, huge money for that level of fight, and the bout was canceled on short notice.

Bey's decision to reject the offer was a major miscalculation. The bout was then put up for a purse bid, and Top Rank, the only bidder, won the promotional rights with an offer of $78,000. Since Bey had already turned down six figures from Mayweather Promotions, it did not bid.

Bey was entitled to 75 percent of the money as the titleholder and would have earned $58,500. Top Rank scheduled the fight on its July 18 card in Macau and Bey signed the contract, but then he had second thoughts about going there to fight and it cost him the belt.

"Once he decided to not accept Floyd's and Leonard's generous offer to fight on ESPN2 the week of Mayweather-Pacquiao, I knew we we're headed down this road," Moretti said. "We move forward to fight Rances Barthelemy for the vacant title, but first we appreciate the IBF letting Denis fight on July 18 in Macau because of what he has to endure through this odyssey."

Ellerbe did not return repeated messages for comment.

Shafikov (35-1-1, 19 KOs), 30, a southpaw from Russia, stopped Rustam Nugaev in the ninth round last August to earn the title shot and stayed busy with an eight-round decision win against Miguel Angel Mendoza on the Timothy Bradley Jr.-Diego Chaves undercard on Dec. 13 in Las Vegas.

Shafikov will be getting his second shot at a world title. In February 2014, he lost a competitive unanimous decision to Vazquez in Macau.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...ight-world-title-backing-denis-shafikov-fight

You got what you wanted @patscorpio :francis:

Bey was stupid for turning down that 200k:snoop:

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
@Newzz @patscorpio @SkiHatDaGawd

I need some Canelo fights to watch.

Been bored and slow the last few nights so I Youtube'd these fights:

Cotto-Pac -......Manny HAD to be on the sauce. Bruh was too jacked and :demonic: taking some of those blows and was continuously coming forward. Cotto stopped jabbing and tried to stand in there and slug...and face ended up getting turned into meat sauce :huhldup:

Gallo-Chocolatito - :wow: that's all that needs to be said

Maidana- Mayweather 1 - after watching it w/o beer in me and more knowledge as to what to look at and how to score a fight....fight wasn't as close as I originally thought it was. Marcos fought a dirty fight too fwiw

About to watch Mayweather-JLC 1. Heard that if there was EVER a fight that Mayweather lost it was this one :lupe:

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
Mickey Bey backs out of Shafikov fight, vacates lightweight world title
8h - Boxing
i

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
Close
  • 2013 BWAA Nat Fleischer Award winner for excellence in boxing journalism
  • ESPN.com boxing writer since 2005
  • Five years at USA Today
Follow on Twitter

Although Mickey Bey signed a contract to go to Macau, China, to make a mandatory defense of his lightweight world title against Denis Shafikov on July 18, he has backed out of the fight and the title is now vacant.

Officially, Bey relinquished the 135-pound belt, but the IBF was poised to strip him anyway for failing to live up to his contractual obligation.

"The IBF informed us that Mickey Bey is no longer recognized as their lightweight champion. Besides saying thank you, my initial response was what took so long," Carl Moretti, vice president of Shafikov promoter Top Rank, told ESPN.com.

Shafikov, who will still fight on the July 18 card in a 10-round nontitle bout against an opponent to be determined, has been ordered to face former junior lightweight titlist Rances Barthelemy (23-0, 13 KOs) for the vacant belt, although Barthelemy fought June 21 at junior welterweight and it remains to be seen whether he will come back down in weight to face Shafikov. If he doesn't, the IBF will go down its list of ranked fighters at 135 pounds until the next leading available contender accepts the bout. If the Shafikov and Barthelemy camps don't make a deal by July 25, a purse bid will be ordered.

As for Bey, this is the end of a disappointing title reign. He claimed the belt by controversial split decision against Miguel Vazquez last September on the Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana II undercard in one of the most critically panned title bouts in recent memory. It was an action-free snoozefest that had the crowd booing from the outset.

Bey (21-1, 10 KOs), 32, a Cleveland native living in Las Vegas, never defended the title. He was scheduled to face Shafikov on April 30 in an ESPN2 main event in Las Vegas two nights before the Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao megafight.

Moretti and Leonard Ellerbe of Mayweather Promotions were even able to make a deal for the bout despite the poor relationship between the companies. However, Bey ultimately turned down a purse of about $200,000, huge money for that level of fight, and the bout was canceled on short notice.

Bey's decision to reject the offer was a major miscalculation. The bout was then put up for a purse bid, and Top Rank, the only bidder, won the promotional rights with an offer of $78,000. Since Bey had already turned down six figures from Mayweather Promotions, it did not bid.

Bey was entitled to 75 percent of the money as the titleholder and would have earned $58,500. Top Rank scheduled the fight on its July 18 card in Macau and Bey signed the contract, but then he had second thoughts about going there to fight and it cost him the belt.

"Once he decided to not accept Floyd's and Leonard's generous offer to fight on ESPN2 the week of Mayweather-Pacquiao, I knew we we're headed down this road," Moretti said. "We move forward to fight Rances Barthelemy for the vacant title, but first we appreciate the IBF letting Denis fight on July 18 in Macau because of what he has to endure through this odyssey."

Ellerbe did not return repeated messages for comment.

Shafikov (35-1-1, 19 KOs), 30, a southpaw from Russia, stopped Rustam Nugaev in the ninth round last August to earn the title shot and stayed busy with an eight-round decision win against Miguel Angel Mendoza on the Timothy Bradley Jr.-Diego Chaves undercard on Dec. 13 in Las Vegas.

Shafikov will be getting his second shot at a world title. In February 2014, he lost a competitive unanimous decision to Vazquez in Macau.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...ight-world-title-backing-denis-shafikov-fight

You got what you wanted @patscorpio :francis:

Bey was stupid for turning down that 200k:snoop:

wtf is he doing :mindblown:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
@Newzz @patscorpio @SkiHatDaGawd

I need some Canelo fights to watch.

#CaneloCartel

:blessed:

Been bored and slow the last few nights so I Youtube'd these fights:

Cotto-Pac -......Manny HAD to be on the sauce. Bruh was too jacked and :demonic: taking some of those blows and was continuously coming forward. Cotto stopped jabbing and tried to stand in there and slug...and face ended up getting turned into meat sauce :huhldup:

Gallo-Chocolatito - :wow: that's all that needs to be said

Maidana- Mayweather 1 - after watching it w/o beer in me and more knowledge as to what to look at and how to score a fight....fight wasn't as close as I originally thought it was. Marcos fought a dirty fight too fwiw

About to watch Mayweather-JLC 1. Heard that if there was EVER a fight that Mayweather lost it was this one :lupe:

Make sure you score this fight breh.

I thought Mayweather lost myself, but the judge's thought otherwise:yeshrug:

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
@Newzz

floyd-1,2,3,4,5,8,9,11

jc-7,10(point for floyd, jc should have point took cause he hit may in back of head while turned around )

draw rounds 6 and 12.(since jc is champ u can give these rounds to him if u want)

so basically 8-4 floyd. these are my 2013 notes though . ill watch it again when i have time.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
We might need an update of the boxing gym heads :ohhh:

@SkiHatDaGawd @ChocolateGiddyUp @mr. smoke weed @SuikodenII @patscorpio @HARLEM AL I know I'm forgetting more :patrice:
I don't wanna talk about me getting my ass whooped in sparring all the time and feeling confused on what I'm supposed to be learning over here :mjcry:

-I watched a high school senior who goes to the same gym for his professional test, shyt was brutal, they went to WAR, the only fight to be that intense. He passed. I did light sparring with him, he's strong.
-Met Myung Woo Yuh, dude was jovial and told me............. lil ol me............. "Nice to meet you" with a smile. I was :ohlawd: :mjcry: on the inside
-I'm getting better with jumping rope
-Overall, it's okay but, I know I could never be a professional boxer............ I mean hell, I knew that beforehand, this experience has just been the finalizer :heh:
-I stole Yuzo's jab blueprint for sparring, but outside boxing seems to annoy the main coach, of course, he wants me to be Tyson :sadcam:

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
http://www.boxingscene.com/jhonny-gonzalez-parts-ways-with-nacho-7-years--93058

By Ernesto Castellanos

Former multi-division champion Jhonny Gonzalez is making a switch. The veteran has parted ways with Hall of Fame trainer Nacho Beristain, who worked with the boxer for the last seven years. They went in separate directions on good terms.

After suffering a fourth round knockout loss to Gary Russell Jr. in March, Gonzalez made a decision to start training with the man who taught him the ropes, his father and former fighter Miguel Angel González.

He now trains at his father's gym, located northeast of Mexico City.

"Me and Nacho ended on good terms and I appreciate his teachings. We ended as friends. He understood my position and he is a great person and a great manager. We shook hands and hugged," Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez is confirmed to fight on August 1, at 130 pounds, against Japanese contender Kazuki Hashimoto.

"We are already training to arrive in good condition to fight on August 1 against Hashimoto. I want the world title at super featherweight and my father knows we can do it. My dad is happy. We talked about some certain things. The family is also happy and contented," Gonzalez said.

Thank you Nacho, but the Son of GAWD gotta return to the holy father before he resurrects

-Oh...I was silently stanning Alexis Diaz before he just got handled by Freshmart....... I'm a terrible eye for talent sometimes
-Great match up this Saturday, Pedro Guevara vs. Ganigan Lopez :salute: