Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

mr heyzel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Md
Why Al Haymon is Killing The Old Guard Of Boxing
By BT 1 on 17 June 2015

0153170001434599391_filepicker.jpg

by Paul Magno

If the business of acquiring TV outlets for boxing were a prizefight, Al Haymon would've TKO'd the entire rest of the boxing industry after three one-sided rounds.

Most recently, Fox Sports 1 has announced that they will not be renewing their contract with Golden Boy after it runs out at the end of this month. In its place will be Haymon's Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) series. Fox will add itself to a growing list of PBC media outlets that includes NBC, CBS, ABC, Spike TV, ESPN, Showtime, and Bounce TV.

With the exception of HBO, everyone that would broadcast boxing is deciding to align themselves with Haymon...and the question is why.

Like him or not, trust him or not, Al Haymon is a man of unique talents. An Ivy League-educated businessman, he speaks the language of corporate suits who run the entertainment business. With his charts and graphs and five and ten year business plans, he gives executives something they can understand and consider. By creating the PBC brand, he has created in essence a league that he can market, which is bigger than any one of the individual names involved. The networks want long term investments, not hot property bouts and fights in the short term that may or may not pan out.

And as adept as he is with the corporate types, he can just as easily navigate in the hustler's world of big-time professional boxing. His rise to power is a blueprint for how an outsider can come to rule the roost by exploiting the hustles and cons inherent in the system.

He is also a guy who has a reputation among associates of keeping his word when it comes to business deals. While recently speaking to a member of Haymon Boxing's inner circle (who preferred not to speak on the record), it was assured to me that, at least so far, Haymon's word has been his bond and that from punctuality to paychecks, he has been 100% trustworthy.

Of course, this is a big difference from the circus ringleader mentality many old school boxing promoters tend to radiate. To corporate America, and to the execs making money decisions for TV time, the typical boxing promoter comes off as less than reliable and sometimes downright sleazy. It's no secret why HBO and Showtime have been the only real media outlets willing to discuss long term deals with the old guard boxing power brokers.

Also, frankly, the established boxing promoters tend to ruin any goodwill they may have every time they get a little bit of network trust. As I wrote in March:

Arum and De la Hoya, whenever they get beyond the guaranteed money shoveled into their pockets by premium cable, fail miserably at putting together a show even worthy of third-tier cable TV. Main Events had their foot in the network door, but blew it because mildly entertaining scraps between Bulgarian boat people will only take you so far in your quest for crossover appeal. Were Shaw or Goossen or King trying to bring in new fans?

Haymon has been aware of the ill will and general distrust between the networks and boxing and, aside from his corporation-friendly wheeling and dealing, he also had the smarts to offer many outlets a no-lose deal where his company would carry all or some of the cost of production via varying degrees of time buy arrangements. Consider it a free sample and a gesture of good will.

Will it all come together and bring boxing back to mainstream prominence once again? It's still too early to tell and without any outsider really knowing the long term business plan, it's not fair to make a blanket judgement call.

But the fact is that Haymon is definitely whipping the behinds of boxing's old guard promoters and powerbrokers. And given boxing's general reluctance to ever evolve or adapt, don't expect that to change anytime soon

yawn

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Walters was one of the main reasons why the Featherweight division was red hot :francis:

Now he's going to Super Featherweight, which is a weak ass division :snoop:

Nah P 130 been stacked for a minute

Uchiyama :king:

Pedraza, Gawdzalez, Fortuna, Gamboa, Muira ,Rocky, Salido, Sonsona and now Walters :wow:

When they start fighting each other :blessed:

@yawn but I thought he was fighting Danny :cmsas1:

You were saying that's why we have to sit through this struggle fight with Paulie, qué pasó tigre :cmsas2:

Krack I'm still perplexed as to why you think it's a bad fight

This fight happens exactly 3 months before Maidana himself just said he's looking to come back

Ya'll want Danny to move up and now he's facing a veteran @147 who has been in with some of the best and will be larger than him FN

Some (not you cause you a real nikka) lie to themselves and say Herrera beat Danny with a jab and his holding
Paulette's best punch is the jab and he arguably has the best jab in boxing

Paulette beat Judah easier than Danny did and again some had Pauette beating Broner

How is this a struggle fight :mindblown:

yawn

All Star
Supporter
Daps
that's a whole lot of typing just to keep repeating the same shyt over and over. there was more fluff in this post than AB's resume:WadeROFL:.......AB stans hanging on to JOHN MOLINA JR as the measuring stick for broner's greatness. you can bring out them ESPN like statlines all you want, but we real heads in here breh.....we know the deal. we know broner's most impressive win came against emmanuel lewis:WadeROFL:.......there's only one bottom line here.....lamont peterson & ruslan provodnikov>>>>>>anybody on broner's resume. that's not opinion, that's an irrefutable fact.
and since you wanna bring up ducking, this is broner's pops one hour after broner "called" out matthyse

"if it's not PPV, we won't take that fight"

this statement alone shows they didn't really want no parts of matthyse. they know damn well no network was approving that fight for PPV. this was was just a
slick way of "pop shyt then apologize". peep at 2:25, when matthyse's name gets mentioned and pops starts chokin up :heh:.....and if that wasn't enough, the very next day broner's trainer just said fukk the subliminal's, we don't want those problems

“I would rather wait for a title shot before fighting Matthysse,” said Stafford of Matthysse, who, like Broner, is advised by Al Haymon. “Plus, Matthysse is with Al, so we’ve got plenty of time. Matthysse ain’t going nowhere, you know what I’m saying?”
Studio gangsta broner aint foolin nobody. we just fought one of the heaviest hitters out there but we scared of adrien broner:dead:
broner don't want them argentina problems

Again all this shyt was corny

Why are you acting like Matthysse ain't leave Haymon when Broner was the one pushing for a fight between the 2
Your mans robbed us of a great inaugural PBC card cause he aint wanna get that eye socket cracked again

Also don't be surprised when your bae doesn't fight for Danny's vacated belt cause
If he faces Postol for a vacant belt his Mandatory will be due immediately and guess who that is :Bandcamp Shining:

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Nah P 130 been stacked for a minute

Uchiyama :king:

Pedraza, Gawdzalez, Fortuna, Gamboa, Muira ,Rocky, Salido, Sonsona and now Walters :wow:

When they start fighting each other :blessed:

Krack I'm still perplexed as to why you think it's a bad fight

This fight happens exactly 3 months before Maidana himself just said he's looking to come back

Ya'll want Danny to move up and now he's facing a veteran @147 who has been in with some of the best and will be larger than him FN

Some (not you cause you a real nikka) lie to themselves and say Herrera beat Danny with a jab and his holding
Paulette's best punch is the jab and he arguably has the best jab in boxing

Paulette beat Judah easier than Danny did and again some had Pauette beating Broner

How is this a struggle fight :mindblown:

You're using Paulie from 2013 friend.

It's 2015.

Had this been right after the AB fight you would be right, had this been right after the Judah fight you would be right.

nikka got destroyed by Porter who preceded to go right back to his regularly scheduled struggle post Paulie. Then he lost his Brooklyn hardcore title via wig splitting in sparring to R Truth. People were telling him to retire and stick to broadcasting but now he's a good fight. :comeon:

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
I ain't mad:heh:

I'm trying to bring you out of hiding:dwillhuh:

Ever since Floyd beat Pacquiao, you been ghost:sas1:

It makes one wonder if you care about other boxers...

Or if you were an alias all along:sas2:
Just work my nikka, i got promotion out the blue recently and is getting percentages for whatever my 7 group bills , now i make more than supervisor who tried to get me fired last year...Funny how life works

The game for me now is the more I grind the more I get paid....No time to chit chat unfortunately..straight tunnel vision mode..new bytch brought me lunch yesterday n was tryna spark convo and i gave her the...

1tpr5o

:lolbron:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
You're using Paulie from 2013 friend.

It's 2015.

Had this been right after the AB fight you would be right, had this been right after the Judah fight you would be right.

nikka got destroyed by Porter who preceded to go right back to his regularly scheduled struggle post Paulie. Then he lost his Brooklyn hardcore title via wig splitting in sparring to R Truth. People were telling him to retire and stick to broadcasting but now he's a good fight. :comeon:

:russ:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Again all this shyt was corny

Why are you acting like Matthysse ain't leave Haymon when Broner was the one pushing for a fight between the 2
Your mans robbed us of a great inaugural PBC card cause he aint wanna get that eye socket cracked again

Also don't be surprised when your bae doesn't fight for Danny's vacated belt cause
If he faces Postol for a vacant belt his Mandatory will be due immediately and guess who that is :Bandcamp Shining:

#BandCamp

:aboutbillions:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Just work my nikka, i got promotion out the blue recently and is getting percentages for whatever my 7 group bills , now i make more than supervisor who tried to get me fired last year...Funny how life works

The game for me now is the more I grind the more I get paid....No time to chit chat unfortunately..straight tunnel vision mode..new bytch brought me lunch yesterday n was tryna spark convo and i gave her the...

1tpr5o

:lolbron:

:heh::dead:

Get to the money breh. Can never hate on the next man being focused on his bread:salute:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
:dwillhuh:

No one is forcing you to buy it breh.
Well I wouldn't buy it because I haven't bought a Floyd PPV in years. I didn't even pay for the Manny fight.:sas2:

And it is not about me personally anyway; it is the realities of the business of PPV boxing that is the problem. As a strictly PPV fighter, Floyd can't be fighting bums and charging for it.
But if you think Floyd and Showtime PPV are going to go all in putting on a Floyd vs Junior Witter PPV bout then I won't argue with you about it.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Why Al Haymon is Killing The Old Guard Of Boxing
By BT 1 on 17 June 2015

0153170001434599391_filepicker.jpg

by Paul Magno

With the exception of HBO, everyone that would broadcast boxing is deciding to align themselves with Haymon...and the question is why.
Is that really a question though? Al is paying for airtime so of course networks will move away from the people they have to pay for a deal that basically requires little on the part of networks aside from time slots.