Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
I wouldnt be so sure about that. They were able to pay Swift (coming off of dominate win over Zab) and Matthysse (who just smashed Peterson)....why wouldnt they be able to pay 2 guys coming off losses and another guy who struggled in an irrelevant fight? What you have to realize is....Broner and Mares need to be grateful to have the opportunity to have return fights on PPV. Khan....he aint runnin shyt....so he better either be satisfied or fight over in the UK his next fight.

The separate/free Sho card would work though but the PPV makes more sense because Floyd is the cash cow and his PPVs take precedent over free Sho cards. The PPV setup is right and provides storyline into May's next possible opponent. I dont know if it will happen but if it doesnt, the deciding factor is going to be more than just raw numbers from a purse perspective.

Well then, why would the head of Showtime say himself that the fight isnt happening?

And it doesnt matter if you're coming off a loss or not, it's about what you're bringing to the table. Broner got almost 2 million to fight Gavin Rees on FREE cable.......you're not gonna be able to pay him less than that. Khan also makes alot of money guaranteed per fight. You cant compare either of them to Danny, or especially Lucas Matthysse, because Broner himself is a larger draw than Danny Garcia was at the time he fought Matthysse. Let's not forget, Broner had 3 of the most watched free Showtime boxing shows in their history......going against Rees/Malignaggi/Maidana. Put Khan vs Broner on there and it's selling a PPV that most people DONT want to buy as it's currently constructed with Floyd vs Maidana and Abner Mares on it:manny:

Would I like to see Khan vs Broner on there.....yes. But financially can it make sense if they not doing Floyd vs Canelo PPV numbers?:lupe:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well then, why would the head of Showtime say himself that the fight isnt happening?

And it doesnt matter if you're coming off a loss or not, it's about what you're bringing to the table. Broner got almost 2 million to fight Gavin Rees on FREE cable.......you're not gonna be able to pay him less than that. Khan also makes alot of money guaranteed per fight. You cant compare either of them to Danny, or especially Lucas Matthysse, because Broner himself is a larger draw than Danny Garcia was at the time he fought Matthysse. Let's not forget, Broner had 3 of the most watched free Showtime boxing shows in their history......going against Rees/Malignaggi/Maidana. Put Khan vs Broner on there and it's selling a PPV that most people DONT want to buy as it's currently constructed with Floyd vs Maidana and Abner Mares on it:manny:

Would I like to see Khan vs Broner on there.....yes. But financially can it make sense if they not doing Floyd vs Canelo PPV numbers?:lupe:

When he was considered the next big thing. Once he was exposed? You think he still has the same drawing power....on his own? I dont think so. His career has to be rebuilt for one. Two....I suspect he already got step-aside money for letting Maidana face Floyd. Just how much leverage do you think AB has? At some point and time, Haymon and GBP will make him play his position. That time is now.

My point was not to compare the drawing power of those fighters but to compare the purses. Just because you are a bigger name doesnt guarantee you a bigger purse every time out. The networks and promoters have to recoup for boxers mishaps sometimes, even if it means guaranteeing of future residuals/incentives. It still comes down to what have you done lately and fighters just cant be losing and expect their checks to be the same amount.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
@synistr....also, you have to factor in that Showtime makes money off of ratings as well. Having Floyd vs Maidana on May 3rd, and then coming back at the end of May with Khan vs Broner on cable is "more money" earned for Showtime, because they profit off of viewership and ratings.

I can see that factoring into the decision as well. You throw all your fights on 1 card, then what do you have for your next Showtime non-ppv card?

Just some random points I wanted to throw out there and get your opinion on.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

you provided the answer in your own question. adding those fights would project it to those numbers. honestly....if it aint no fighters I wanna see, then I aint buyin it this time out. if Broner vs Khan is on there, I will. I aint really interested in seeing Mares right now on PPV unless its a rematch with Jhonny. Free Sho I dont mind.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@synistr....also, you have to factor in that Showtime makes money off of ratings as well. Having Floyd vs Maidana on May 3rd, and then coming back at the end of May with Khan vs Broner on cable is "more money" earned for Showtime, because they profit off of viewership and ratings.

I can see that factoring into the decision as well. You throw all your fights on 1 card, then what do you have for your next Showtime non-ppv card?

Just some random points I wanted to throw out there and get your opinion on.

not all your fights...just that one like they moved Garcia-Matthysee to PPV....and keep in mind....they didnt have too. Canelo was the opponent who was bringing the buys with him. A lot of casuals didnt know Garcia-Matthysse, it wsa more of a treat for us true boxing heads. I know Floyd was gonna beat Canelo easy, but casuals didnt.

Yes, Broner-Khan would do huge on regular Sho...but I think the idea is to build momentum for these PPVs. Floyd's next opponent is just as important as Maidana. Not to mention, GBP is at no shortage of good fighters/fights they can put on.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Newzz

actually the biggest issue is whether or not Khan will accept a fight with Broner. not whether its gonna be on PPV or Sho. :heh: Khan aint trying to fight no live bodies right now until he gets his shot at Floyd.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
not all your fights...just that one like they moved Garcia-Matthysee to PPV....and keep in mind....they didnt have too. Canelo was the opponent who was bringing the buys with him. A lot of casuals didnt know Garcia-Matthysse, it wsa more of a treat for us true boxing heads. I know Floyd was gonna beat Canelo easy, but casuals didnt.

Yes, Broner-Khan would do huge on regular Sho...but I think the idea is to build momentum for these PPVs. Floyd's next opponent is just as important as Maidana. Not to mention, GBP is at no shortage of good fighters/fights they can put on.

Dont get me wrong, I'm ready to see AB give Khan that work on May 3rd......but I dont wanna get my hopes up because Espinoza said it wasnt happening on May 3rd.

I'm more excited for that fight than I am for Floyd vs Maidana:heh:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Newzz

The way I look at it is....they have all this money invested in Floyd. they cannot afford to have any more subpar PPV numbers. They will always get good ratings on Sho because they stack the cards. You put your focus into these PPV so you dont lose anything. They need to stay in the black. They cant go red (Guerrero) one fight, go black the next fight then go red again. You said it yourself, this main event alone aint doing Canelo numbers. They can much more afford to have lower Sho views than they can PPV buys. Plus the tape delay will always help boost Sho ratings as well....particularly if they put a good main on. They just really getting their footing to try and take out HBO. They cant afford any slips on this PPV shyt.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dont get me wrong, I'm ready to see AB give Khan that work on May 3rd......but I dont wanna get my hopes up because Espinoza said it wasnt happening on May 3rd.

I'm more excited for that fight than I am for Floyd vs Maidana:heh:

Yeah, but Espinoza better know what he is doing. Somebody may pull his coat and be like :ufdup: I just take what he says with a grain of salt right now....when the press conference starts...we will see if he changes that tune.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Doesnt sound like Amir Khan is too thrilled with the prospect of fighting Broner at 140 or 144 max

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

:mjpls:

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140302/SPORTS/140309644/1001#world-champion-crawford-receives-hero-s-welcome-in-omaha

The champ is here.

New World Boxing Organization lightweight champion Terence “Bud” Crawford returned to Omaha on Sunday night, one day after making history in Glasgow, Scotland.

Crawford dethroned two-division champion Ricky Burns at the Scottish Exhibition Centre on Saturday to become the first fighter from Omaha to win a major world boxing title. Former heavyweight champ Max Baer was born in the city, but moved to Colorado, then California.

Crawford knew the history he was chasing. The magnitude of his accomplishment hit him, perhaps harder than Burns had, when he was welcomed home by a large crowd at the airport Sunday.

Family, friends and fans waited for more than an hour because Crawford's plane had been delayed. That didn't dampen the celebration. They went wild when the champ arrived.

“It was crazy. Man, I was blown away,” Crawford said. “(I had thought about being a world champion) a little bit, but it really didn't hit me until just now, when I'd seen everybody embracing me when I came through that little door. ... It's like a dream come true.”

Walking behind a Team Crawford banner in the airport, the champion smiled and pointed to familiar faces as he made his way toward the crowd. He hugged his mother before being swallowed into the audience that made their way to Eppley Airfield to welcome him home.

Crawford later relived some of the moments from his unanimous decision victory over Burns, who was defeated for the first time in 10 world title fights. The champ also briefly alluded to the September night in 2008 when he was hit in the back of the head by a spinning bullet in his hometown.

“Man, it was just like dreams do come true,” he said. “That's all I was thinking. I didn't have to be here. I got a second chance at life, and I made the best of it.”

Crawford's co-manager, Brian McIntyre, said his fighter did “a perfect job” in his first title bout. He believed Crawford would reach this point, but was still humbled in the moment.

“It hasn't hit me yet,” he said. “I know we accomplished something. We made history. I know the city got behind us. I know Terence won a world title. I know it's good for the city. But it hasn't hit me yet. I try not to look at it like as a historical point, just to keep myself grounded.”

It was historic, however. And it may only be the beginning of something much bigger. The new WBO champion said he'd love to make his first title defense at CenturyLink Center.

No opponent has been discussed as of yet. But Crawford would appear to have options for a regular title defense or a unification bout with one of the other lightweight beltholders.

Asked what doors were opened, he said, “All of them. I've got the keys to all the doors.”

That includes a key to the city, which is scheduled to be presented Tuesday. Crawford then intends to take his title belt back to the schools he's recently visited while speaking to Omaha youth.

He'll return to Brewsky's Food & Spirits, where a viewing party for Saturday's fight was held for an overflow crowd, on Thursday to meet the public for the first time as a world champion.

Crawford said he never doubted that he would come back to Omaha with the WBO belt.

“I was hungry. I was dedicated. I was motivated to go get that title, and that's what I did,” he said.

tried to find youtube vid of the welcome but found something else instead.. that's even better

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Doesnt sound like Amir Khan is too thrilled with the prospect of fighting Broner at 140 or 144 max

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

:mjpls:

Khan really aint trying to earn his shot. If he was, he wouldve fought Alexander. Khan needs to beat someone of substance. Broner, Porter, maybe even Paulie. He just aint trying to hear it though.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Khan really aint trying to earn his shot. If he was, he wouldve fought Alexander. Khan needs to beat someone of substance. Broner, Porter, maybe even Paulie. He just aint trying to hear it though.

He already beat Paulie.

I think he either has to get in the ring with Broner at 140 or move up to 147 and fight either Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter, or Devon Alexander.

If he doesnt fight 1 of the 4, then he has no shot.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Whatever the plan is for the Floyd/Maidana undercard it would behoove SHowtime to make sure it features fighters who could conceivably face Floyd down the line so they can start building up names and not have the same lack of caring that they faced when they tried to push Khan as the next fight and no one gave a fukk.
And unless the Broner/Khan fight was set up as winner gets Floyd (which means Broner and floyd would have to drop this big bruh/baby bruh bullshyt and make it known that they were both open to a fight) then that fight wouldn't matter all that much either.
It is crazy to realize but Floyd's options are limited as fukk for the duration of this Showtime contract so they need to start hyping up the guys that they may be forced to rely on as opponents for Floyd.