Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That drives me nuts too...what the hell are you doing before the fight that you aren't sufficiently warmed up?

he took MM shots much better after he got warmed up. had he been warmed up properly he wouldnt have started so bad and may have been able to win. still...he got a lot of issues...and not moving his head is one

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Broner issues were the same as always N people said he fought that way cuz it was Rees N Paulie

He shouldn't of weighed 144.5 at the weigh in

He shouldn't of been clowning in the Ring...as soon as I saw him trying to intimidate Chino before the intros I got worried for Broner

N one last thing nikkas can't complain bout GBP matchmaking when a draw loses but bytch when they make soft matches with Canelo or AB/Paulie etc...

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Broner won rounds 3, 5, 6, 7, and 12.

He is such an accurate puncher....He has to learn to let his hands go all the time.

After rewatching the fight, there's no doubt in my mind he can defeat Madonna in a rematch. He just has to BOX more and let his hands go

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
you guys here about the picture showing that ariza might of used smelling salts?

i remember seeing in the one of the rounds that seemed like dodgy shyt being done, i did think it looked like smelling salts live

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
So I watched the full fight again and here are some points I came away with after watching it again in full for a 2nd time.

- The ref was absolutely terrible. He warned Broner multiple times about pushing after already telling him he would deduct points.Yet he didn't deduct a single point from him. Or even warn him about it after hitting Maidana seconds after the bell. And with Chino, even though he took a point away for the blatant headbutt, he was letting Chino hit low and swing with his elbows.

- As for Broner's power at WW, I've realize that it's not that it isn't there. He did land some good power shots and even Chino admitted he had some power behind his shots. He has good enough power at WW. However, he doesn't have single punching power where he can hurt his opponent with 1 shot like he did at the lower weight class. And that's the big problem, because his combinations weren't there at all. I think he has enough power to stay at WW, but unless he puts his punches together, he's not gonna hurt many fighters.

- His corner definitely needs to get canned. They did nothing to really help Broner except tell him obvious shyt we all saw from out TV.

- Dump that shoulder roll ASAP. He wasn't doing it right and left himself open for shots too many times. Dude needs to hit up Sr. ASAP to work on his D. He can't just keep absorbing power shots like that all willy nilly at that weight class.

Last edited:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Broner issues were the same as always N people said he fought that way cuz it was Rees N Paulie

He shouldn't of been clowning in the Ring...as soon as I saw him trying to intimidate Chino before the intros I got worried for Broner

N one last thing nikkas can't complain bout GBP matchmaking when a draw loses but bytch when they make soft matches with Canelo or AB/Paulie etc...

He fought Madonna the exact way he fought Rees and Pauletta.....I guess he was right that he doesn't watch footage on his opponents:damn:

Like Floyd fought Baldomir, Guerrero, and Canelo is how Broner should've fought Madonna. He was always in range of Madonna, combined with his hands being down and chin up, led to the big shots and knock downs which changed the outcome of this fight

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
He fought Madonna the exact way he fought Rees and Pauletta.....I guess he was right that he doesn't watch footage on his opponents:damn:

Like Floyd fought Baldomir, Guerrero, and Canelo is how Broner should've fought Madonna. He was always in range of Madonna, combined with his hands being down and chin up, led to the big shots and knock downs which changed the outcome of this fight

Which makes no sense to me...when Peterson got blasted by Matthysse AB was like yea I picked Lamont to win but he fought dumb not like he was posed to

He then sees Swift live in person execute how you fight these big power Argentines

N after all that how does the nikka end up fighting?? Like a dumbass:beli:

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Which makes no sense to me...when Peterson got blasted by Matthysse AB was like yea I picked Lamont to win but he fought dumb not like he was posed to

He then sees Swift live in person execute how you fight these big power Argentines

N after all that how does the nikka end up fighting?? Like a dumbass:beli:

I forgot about swift. Exactly. Danny BOXED Matthysse and took what was there. He didn't fight his same normal style and he punished Matthysse

AB deserved this loss for being stupid. All Madonna had was a punchers chance and you give it too him?:camby:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
just rewatched it while ff to the corners. They kept telling AB to let them hands go, infact he probably wasnt listening to them. He kept telling them sometimes to stfu and get out the way.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I forgot about swift. Exactly. Danny BOXED Matthysse and took what was there. He didn't fight his same normal style and he punished Matthysse

AB deserved this loss for being stupid. All Madonna had was a punchers chance and you give it too him?:camby:

it was more than AB being stupid. its more about his boxing ability and his experience level with fighting different styles. you cant fight everyone the same way. he has no versatility. just a nikka in the philly shell...which that will work on small guys but not guys who fight tall.

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
broner was slapping with his hooks too much aswell

think they will make thurman vs maidana next.

broner should go down to 140 as garcia will be vacating soon

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

yeah they can, because this should prove to people not to push fighters beyond their limits. shouldnt be making soft matches period unless its optional defense to stay busy. we all thought AB would take MM. that was not a matchmaking issue. GBP felt it was a good match as did most. the issue comes when you take a guy from 130....and push him to pick up all these titles. thats cool when you win because you can get paid, but somewhere along the way...you need to not just be getting in the ring for the sake of money. they were fast tracking him to be a PPV guy and he wasnt ready for that. this fight was initially PPV and they found out it wasnt ready to be one.
I think you can make good business moves AND still make tough matches at the same time. just because AB lost dont mean he shouldve been defending against Arnaoutis or somebody.

after winning the title at WW, particularly struggling the way he did, he shouldve targeted 140 and got Swift if he could. that was a bigger fight than MM and losing to an undefeated proven guy like Swift wouldve looked much better and easier to come back from.

so like I am saying in the contrary to what you said about matchmaking and soft fights.....fighters should be making the BIGGEST fights, not always seeking low risk/high reward fights. this guy was not ready to be a full time WW...thats all there is to it.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My final thoughts on Broner & then I'm moving on

I like watching Broner. I think he's very entertaining fighter with a lot of heart. He's still a very good draw. A loss doesn't really hurt him. There will be a lot of interest in his next fight to see how he bounces back. This loss only hurts if you felt he was a future ppv star.

I don't think his team should pursue a rematch. They should just simply move on, similar to what Khan does after a loss. Team Khan always keeps it very business like. It's like "okay, he got me, let's move on & rebuild."

When I look at the current top 10 in the WW division, I don't think he is ready for any of those guys at this point in his career.

I don't understand how GBP couldn't see this. They watch these fighters up close, they visit them in the gym, etc. How could his own promoter get caught up in the hype? That's what fans do not promoters. GBP's flawed matchmaking makes boxing very entertaining though. I'm just accustomed to looking at boxing from a business that some of their moves befuddle me.

If I were guiding his career, if he can still make weight, I would move him down to 135 & build up to a Gamboa fight. However, this is the least likely scenario. Once a fighter doesn't have to go through that grind of making that weight, they'll have no desire to try to. This fight should have happened before he left 135. I think his team should consider 140.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
reason AB stopped letting his hands go is like any other fighter who stops letting there handsgo .. he was scared of getting countered back... the power scared him and he was on a bike at times :snoop: