Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps

#8 ranked Super Middleweight Sakio Bika vs. Anthony Dirrell

I thought Dirrell won, neither guy has a chance at the crown (Ward) so a disappointing outcome but hopefully one of the Dirrell brothers gets another shot at the top

SuikodenII

Daps

#3 ranked Light Middleweight Austin Trout vs. #5 ranked Light Middleweight Erislandy Lara

Trout needs to get the f&ck outta here with his scared to punch shyt, congrats to Lara but I still don't like him nor do I think he's incredibly talented.

Daps
Reppin
The Sweet Science

#3 ranked Middleweight Darren Barker vs. #7 ranked Middleweight Felix Sturm

Barker's career might be done with a hip dislocation, this sport is just too hard on him physically. Sturm-Soliman/Geale II coming soon...

It seemed like Barker kept getting too wide in his stance and that put extra pressure on his back leg

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
just finished watching the hbo card from my hotel room
macklin-russ - decent opener..enough to get macklin's name back in the 160 title mix
kirkland-tapia :wow:..brutal slugfest and :damn: at smoger letting tapia take them last shots..dude was out COLD on his feet..his corner isnt shyt for letting him out...dude was nodding off in his corner for crying out loud :smh:
rigo-agbeko - no words..rigo handed out a phd thesis type asswhoopin on agbeko..single digit landed in each round..lord..i like agbeko and i expected a better performance then him walking forward and getting worked like that

will watch the showtime card after eagles-lions later

SuikodenII

Daps

#1 ranked Super Bantamweight Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. #4 ranked Bantamweight Joseph Agbeko (bout at 122)

He's not gonna win any real fan fare with this performance with casual observers, but he shut Agbeko out COLD...a guy who throws anywhere from 800-1000+ punches a fight to only 350. While Rigondeaux is recorded to have thrown over 850...though most were jabs just to gauge distance. Bring on the winner of Martinez/Mathebula, Frampton, Quigg......whoever wants some, come get it :birdman:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
here is my ode to Zab.

what I observed of him in the past few years I came to full realization about last night. let me start by saying 10 years ago, Zab wouldve beat Paulie easily I believe. Zab was a totally different fighter early in his career than now. He has lost some of his speed and athleticism. That being said, its not just that. I just dont think Zab has been actively training enough in the past few years even though he has been active in the ring and in good shape. His reflexes arent what they used to be and thats due to not staying in the gym much. I know this is going to sound crazy, but around the time he starting talking about Jesus...he started looking like a different fighter.

Zab has always been an overrated boxer, its just been exposed here as of late. He has bad balance when coming across his body. He was better in his younger days because he used the jab more, especially the double-jab. He was a surgical body puncher when he chose to commit to that, his foot speed was elite, and he even had nice lil right uppercut going for him.

what I saw last night, especially in the corner was an incarnation of the past prime Tyson. Zab is fighting for a check...and has been for a while now. his heart is not in it. he is a grown man...but that may have been what affected him most....growing up. they younger Zab physically was a beast but mentally was a midget. the older Zab was more under control mentally but the skills and the desire were no longer there. We saw two different Zab's throughout his career, unfortunately, they were not at the same time.

Zab can beat the B or C level guys but he cant beat the top guys. Paulie I believe has gotten better since earlier in his career, especially his body punching. Paulie is a much better boxer than Zab. That should be apparent now...its just that Zab's athletic ability always masked his lack of boxing ability.

In between the rounds....he looked like he was blowing off his corner. Like he just wanted a check. His heart isnt in it anymore. Will he fight on? Likely...but he is done, and ironically, even though he has matured inside and outside of the ring....that may have taken away the edge that he once had as he doesnt look hungry at all and hasnt for some time.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
A few thoughts about last night's fights:

I don't know what Dirrell got so c*nty about...that was a close fight and I thought the decision was perfectly fine. He wasn't dominating Bika and considering Bika is the champ Dirrell didn't do nearly enough to take his title.

Zab needs to retire...dude was out there fighting like he "lost his smile" and he is too old to be having mental lapses in the ring like that. I think GBP might start feeding him to young guys they are pushing as a stepping stone opponent if he doesn't call it quits.

I like Paulie and all but I really don't know what these "big fights" are that he claims Haymon told him he'd get for a win. And I def don't have any desire to see him fight Broner again.

That Tapia/Kirkland fight was :whoo: and hopefully Kirkland doesn't flake out again because Anne Wolf has him beasting again.
Did anyone else think Kirkland was going to take that L when they noticed 50 Cent in his corner? Thought the Fiddy Curse was gonna get him.

I know a lot of you dudes on here like Rigondeaux and I completely respect his skills as a boxer but last night may have been the nail in his coffin as far as getting main event bouts on HBO. That arena was embarressingly empty for his bout. It looked like the empty arena for the prelim bouts on a PPV with all those empty seats. Half the building cleared out after that Tapia/Kirkland bout.

Lara/Trout was an example of bad matchmaking...there was no way that fight was going to be entertaining unless both guys decided to fight in totally different styles than they usually do.

And last night convinced me that the Floyd/Khan match is happening. Showtime seemed totally invested in it with Khan doing commentary and the announcers repeatedly bringing up the possibility of the fight happening.

Last edited: