Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
ggg or stevens
Golovkin. Stevens has a punchers chance. But we all know if/when they start trading, GGG will have the advantage.

Plus Curtis is sloppy and leaves himself open too much. he fights like he did against Derrick Findley and Jesse Brinkley, then pray for Stevens breh.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Golovkin. Stevens has a punchers chance. But we all know if/when they start trading, GGG will have the advantage.

If he fights like he did against Derrick Findley and Jesse Brinkley, then pray for Stevens breh.

as ive mentioned before i was :mindblown: at old ass jesse brinkley whoopin stevens's ass like that..dropping him and nearly ko'ing him

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
ggg or stevens
GGG. He is a hard puncher in his own right and his boxing skills are underrated by a lot of people, IMO. He has a deep amateur background providing him a lot of experience. He may not be the most athletic guy, but his amateur background seems to have really helped his footwork as he cuts the ring off well and ends up putting himself in offensive positions in front of the fighter.
Of course the one thing that gives you pause is that Stevens will naturally be the bigger fighter, is used to fighting 168 lb guys, and is a hard puncher himself.
I think GGG overall skill level is higher and he outclasses Stevens.
Hoping for a GGG stoppage. :demonic:

Last edited:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
GGG is like a better version of Stevens.

For one he lets his hands go more often and he actually incorporates a stiff jab during his offense so he's always setting things up, whereas Stevens be on his Rocky Juarez swag looking for the perfect opportunity to land a good shot. GGG also seems like he punches hard enough to where he doesn't have to land the perfect shot to hurt you while Stevens only seems to hurt dudes if he hits them clean with everything behind it on some precise perfect type shyt.

GGG by brutal mid round ko/stoppage

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
was just listening to some Mike Tyson interviews and he said something interesting about the state of boxing. To paraphrase, he said...
boxing has declined because its no great American Heavyweights. He said Floyd and the smaller guys make money...but when they make money nobody else makes money. He said if you have good Heavyweights then everybody makes money because you can top bill Heavyweight championship fights and it creates opportunity for "everyone" else to make money on the undercards.

He has a point looking from that perspective. Like a guy like Ricardo Lopez for example could probably make just as much if not more on the undercard of a Tyson PPV than he did on his own card. Also, you could also add other good HW or CW fights to a card.

When you really think about it....thats just how bad the HW division has gotten now. There arent even any Rahman's around. When Tyson was on PPV...he had guys like Tito, Norris, B-Hop, Nelson/Fenech, George Foreman, Moorer, and many more on his undercards.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
was just listening to some Mike Tyson interviews and he said something interesting about the state of boxing. To paraphrase, he said...
boxing has declined because its no great American Heavyweights. He said Floyd and the smaller guys make money...but when they make money nobody else makes money. He said if you have good Heavyweights then everybody makes money because you can top bill Heavyweight championship fights and it creates opportunity for "everyone" else to make money on the undercards.

He has a point looking from that perspective. Like a guy like Ricardo Lopez for example could probably make just as much if not more on the undercard of a Tyson PPV than he did on his own card. Also, you could also add other good HW or CW fights to a card.

When you really think about it....thats just how bad the HW division has gotten now. There arent even any Rahman's around. When Tyson was on PPV...he had guys like Tito, Norris, B-Hop, Nelson/Fenech, George Foreman, Moorer, and many more on his undercards.
Interesting point. I am curious, to those who are heavyweight fans - watched during the prime years, why it is it a much larger a draw?
Heavyweights get the casual fan excited like nobody else. Me personally, I prefer the small guys. I like the quicker movement, higher punch output, more activity. Plus, seeing guys who walk around at light heavy or below I can relate to more, because they are more "normal sized".
I can see the harder punching, larger physical specimen, fight can end any second aspect. Personally I get more excited for a Welterweight brawl, than Heavies. And it is not just because the HW's aren't that exciting now. I started watching boxing at the tail end of Holyfield, Tyson, and saw a lot of Lennox Lewis.:yeshrug:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Interesting point. I am curious, to those who are heavyweight fans - watched during the prime years, why it is it a much larger a draw?
Heavyweights get the casual fan excited like nobody else. Me personally, I prefer the small guys. I like the quicker movement, higher punch output, more activity. Plus, seeing guys who walk around at light heavy or below I can relate to more, because they are more "normal sized".
I can see the harder punching, larger physical specimen, fight can end any second aspect. Personally I get more excited for a Welterweight brawl, than Heavies. And it is not just because the HW's aren't that exciting now. I started watching boxing at the tail end of Holyfield, Tyson, and saw a lot of Lennox Lewis.:yeshrug:

because the heavyweights were in shape and they were skilled...an out of shape heavy like for example joe hipp was the anomaly but he had skills..but more importantly they came to fight and they fought each other

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

its because the high percentage of someone getting KOed...and even higher percentage of them getting hurt within a 12 round fight. In lower weights there is no guarantee someone will be seriously hurt or KOed...even with big punchers. Look at Garcia/Matthysse. Two good punchers. A lot of people were surprised that fight went the distance. A lot of us were waiting for 12 rounds for that one shot that would basically turn it to a life/death type of fight. It was still a highly entertaining fight but a lot of that was due to both were big name fighters with exciting styles. HW fights used to be almost always entertaining even if the fighters werent highly ranked. HWs just have that bonecrushing power and it diminishes as you go down. Just think Lennox for example. His biggest and best fights were where he was knocking somebody out or getting knocked out himself. Likewise with Tyson. Holmes was one of the few greats who was feared more for his boxing ability than his KO power but even still, when he got you in trouble...you were food.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
its because the high percentage of someone getting KOed...and even higher percentage of them getting hurt within a 12 round fight. In lower weights there is no guarantee someone will be seriously hurt or KOed...even with big punchers. Look at Garcia/Matthysse. Two good punchers. A lot of people were surprised that fight went the distance. A lot of us were waiting for 12 rounds for that one shot that would basically turn it to a life/death type of fight. It was still a highly entertaining fight but a lot of that was due to both were big name fighters with exciting styles. HW fights used to be almost always entertaining even if the fighters werent highly ranked. HWs just have that bonecrushing power and it diminishes as you go down. Just think Lennox for example. His biggest and best fights were where he was knocking somebody out or getting knocked out himself. Likewise with Tyson. Holmes was one of the few greats who was feared more for his boxing ability than his KO power but even still, when he got you in trouble...you were food.

the bolded was the truth....I didn't like watching too much of lennox in his prime...dude never showed the fire unless someone tagged him and had him in trouble early like Shannon briggs or could take his punches and give back in kind like ray mercer did