Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I liked Ouma, but he was just a featherfisted volume puncher with no defense. The way he fought he was always gonna have a short prime. Any time he stepped up he lost.

Martinez beat a much superior volume puncher in Paul Williams, arguably twice. Now of course every fight is different, but I can't see him lasting 12 against Martinez the way he fights. We saw what Williams had to go through the first fight to get the "win."

Ouma was an entertaining fighter, but I just don't rate a guy like him very high. Around that time during his short IBF title run, I did want to see him fight Winky. Any volume puncher against Winky makes for an entertaining fight.

Cosign the bolded....I liked Winky a lot but watching some of his fights in his prime were a struggle. However Sam Soliman (a known volume puncher) vs Winky was an underrated fight. Sam put them hands on Winky to the point where Winky dropped the high guard and tried to knock him out. He was too rusty/passed it to do the same when he fought PWill though.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I pretty much agree with you. Sergio would have to catch him with something big early like Rubio did, but finish him cuz if he didn't Ouma would prolly overwhelm him.

I think Taylor slightly ruined Ouma in a way. Before then Ouma never really gotten beaten up. Yeah Karmazin beat him but it was competitive and he didn't get the same amount of punishment he got with Taylor. Taylor was landing hard concussive flush combos on that nikka head for like 9 rounds of that fight. I think his punch resistance went down because of that since he didn't brush off shots like he used to after that fight. Then Ouma looked bad for several fights after that including losing to K9 of all people. He then became hit or miss giving cats like Vanes and GGG good fights, but he never really looked great again. I know the partying was a factor too, but I don't think it was the only factor.

I never looked at Taylor-Ouma as a fight where Ouma started to slide...you're not the first person to tell me that :ohhh:. It was a hard fight no question but I didn't think Ouma was in trouble at any given time of the fight even though he took some shots. Might be worth a revisit if I have time this weekend. I just thought Ouma lost his desire/was getting that money to not give a fukk anymore. I thought GGG beating up Ouma was a far worse and decisive beating than what Taylor did to him though.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
It's been awhile, but I remember watching that fight and Karmazin was whooping his ass :dwillhuh:

My bad breh I didn't mean it like Ouma gave him a close fight because he didn't. Karmazin did beat dude clearly and had him clinching during certain moments, but from what I can remember Ouma came on a lil stronger towards the end in the later rounds. He still got whupped though. I was just comparing the punishment in that bout to the Taylor fight which I don't think was as bad considering Taylor hit much harder than Roman.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cosign the bolded....I liked Winky a lot but watching some of his fights in his prime were a struggle. However Sam Soliman (a known volume puncher) vs Winky was an underrated fight. Sam put them hands on Winky to the point where Winky dropped the high guard and tried to knock him out. He was too rusty/passed it to do the same when he fought PWill though.

It's also the style that gives Winky trouble. Harry Simon threw a lot of punches in his fight Winky & was awarded the decision. That's a fight I need to watch again.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never looked at Taylor-Ouma as a fight where Ouma started to slide...you're not the first person to tell me that :ohhh:. It was a hard fight no question but I didn't think Ouma was in trouble at any given time of the fight even though he took some shots. Might be worth a revisit if I have time this weekend. I just thought Ouma lost his desire/was getting that money to not give a fukk anymore. I thought GGG beating up Ouma was a far worse and decisive beating than what Taylor did to him though.

Agreed. It was Ouma's style. You can't fight like that & have any longevity.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale

Taylor never hurt Ouma like in the sense of having him ready to go, but he buzzed him with big shots all night and remember since cats felt Ouma was undersized and made to order for Taylor that people/fans including Jermain himself felt that he could have gotten him outta there early and Taylor really tried to. He started that fight off landing some big mean ass punches and Ouma was catching them flush as hell. Even Manny started screaming at Taylor telling him to calm down and stop over doing it :russ: Taylor landing hard and often. Cats forget he had quick hands and could punch in combination even though some of his shots were telegraphed as fukk. He made Joppy go running into survival mode after he dropped him with that uppercut.

I felt Ouma was more competitive with GGG and was outboxing him in the first half until GGG's pressure took over and then the beating came. Ouma was never really competitive with Taylor like that. Whenever he tried to get busy or work the inside, Taylor would clinch and then the ref broke 'em up. Ouma would try to walk in and get nailed with a hard one two and then get clinched again. Simple ass game plan really. You break Ouma's rhythm and he isn't that effective. Ouma really never got going and was too beaten up by the later rounds to pull off something big when Taylor slowed down.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sounds like you underating Taylor because he had the machine behind him. You acting like Winky pitched a clinic when the fight was a back in forth action packed brawl. Winky boxed but Taylor fought and his fighting is what caused Winky's face to look like a slab of roasted pig. Taylor was punching through his guard with straights, hooks, uppercuts. Both dudes showed heart and a draw wasn't even that bad of a decision. Some people favored Winky's boxing while others favored Taylors big shots and fighting. Fight deserved a rematch but Winky ducked that shyt.

Winky always been about the payday. Dude overvalued himself all the time. He hardly had any fanbase, never really put asses in seats, but always acted like he was some star. He gets a chance to be in a fight that people actually looked forward too (Taylor rematch) where he said it was an easy fight and he turned the career payday down because he felt he should have been making more than Taylor was making who was the champ :wtf: Winky never been as marketable as Shane or have the power so of course he ain't fighting now. Williams thrashed him and Quillen finished of the rest of him.

:snoop: at nikkas calling close fights robberies. Winky a HOF dude no doubt, but he ain't get robbed against Vargas or Taylor. He just lost a close competitive fight to dude's the networks were making out to be stars. Not the first time it's happened and won't be the last. Burton/Augustus is a robbery, not no damn Vargas/Winky or Taylor/Winky

Winky couldve been fighting all along....look at the inactivity when he came in his last fights. Winky aint never been about prostituting himself. Yeah, he may have priced himself out of fights but that proves that he wasnt just out for a quick buck. He valued his career and his skills.

Just because something is close doesnt mean it aint a robbery. If I rob you with a gun or I just come up to you with a couple unarmed dudes and strongarm the shyt out you...its still a robbery...but the charges are more severe for armed robbery.

My point is....if a fighter goes in knowing he is ALWAYS going to lose a close fight...thats a fukking robbery...before the fact.

Taylor...wasnt shyt breh. Look at his fukking prime. nikka had no shelf life. B-Hop said it best...in HBO's need for the next big thing..."they took the bread out of the oven before it was done". Taylor was a strong athletic physical force. He was physically intimidating at MW....but his lack of real boxing skill and stamina issues signaled his swan song.

Winky was robbed because there was no way he was walking out that ring with titles against those guys. This was pre-determined. HBO had too much to lose with Vargas and Taylor's records on the line. Dont know how you dont see that shyt. Had he not been Vargas mando, he'd never got the fukkin fight.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Just because something is close doesnt mean it aint a robbery. If I rob you with a gun or I just come up to you with a couple unarmed dudes and strongarm the shyt out you...its still a robbery...but the charges are more severe for armed robbery.

My point is....if a fighter goes in knowing he is ALWAYS going to lose a close fight...thats a fukking robbery...before the fact.

Taylor...wasnt shyt breh. Look at his fukking prime. nikka had no shelf life. B-Hop said it best...in HBO's need for the next big thing..."they took the bread out of the oven before it was done". Taylor was a strong athletic physical force. He was physically intimidating at MW....but his lack of real boxing skill and stamina issues signaled his swan song.

Winky was robbed because there was no way he was walking out that ring with titles against those guys. This was pre-determined. HBO had too much to lose with Vargas and Taylor's records on the line. Dont know how you dont see that shyt. Had he not been Vargas mando, he'd never got the fukkin fight.

:snoop: this nikka right here.

They tried to do what your implying with Floyd and Canelo with one judge having it a draw especially since if the fight was close enough a rematch would be warranted, but it didn't work since Floyd outboxed dude soundly enough all while not getting hit often or letting Canelo steal rounds or back him up. Now that was an attempt at a pre-determined robbery.

Taylor just ended up being better than everybody gave him credit for and nikkas hate that because he had the machine behind him.

With all the skills Hopkins and Winky supposedly had, they struggled wayyyyyy more than they should have if Taylor was as bad as you make him out to be. Both should have shut dude out decisively to the point where if they would have not gotten the decision it would be looked at like past robberies such as Pernell/Chavez, Lewis/Holy 1, etc.. but as hard as they tried they couldn't do it either because they aren't as good as you thought they'd be in those fights or maybe because Taylor was better than he was supposed to be against them. Nobody looks at those Taylor/Hopkins/Winky/Vargas fights the way they look at those fights I mentioned because they weren't robberies. They were close competitive fights that could have gone either way.

If a nikka think he gon get robbed by the guy with the machine behind him, his ass needs to fight harder and pitch a shutout. You can't let a nikka win 5 rounds with some toss up rounds thrown in the mix and then complain when you don't get the verdict :dahell:

Hopkins and Winky knew that going in and still fought their usual fight, but complained afterwards because they knew nikkas like you would fall for that shyt and believe the whole I got robbed by the establishement bullshyt even though the fight was close.
Beltran won at least 8 or 9 rounds and dropped Burns in the process and still got a draw. Now that's a robbery :heh: Winky and Hopkins were nowhere that dominant against Taylor even though they were skilled enough to be.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
I wrote a Stevenson/Cloud prediction. Gents, your predictions please?
Stevenson is the king right now, Hopkins a close second......but I think he gets dethroned, Cloud by KO. I'm not sold that he can take Cloud's punch, or that he's a significantly better boxer to the point that he could keep Cloud off of him. I'm not saying Cloud will walk through Stevenson's shots but he's been in 175 dog fights. We'll see if the Dawson KO was more of a result of Adonis' skill or Dawson's deterioration. We'll also see how much Cloud has learned from his schooling from professor Hopkins.

I'm actually rooting for Stevenson :manny:

as far as Martinez-Ouma..........Martinez would be too accurate, wins a unanimous decision, but I can see him being knocked down during the course of the bout.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Cloud vs Stevenson is too close to call. Of course I'd want the fellow Floridian to win but Cloud be disappointing a nikka too much recently. He hasn't had a decent performance since the Glen Johnson fight and that felt like a life time ago since he's not that active to begin with.

I think Stevenson wins an entertaining decision, but would not be surprised if Cloud finally fought to his true potential and pulled the upset.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-stevenson-cloud-face-face-final-presser--69957

stevenson-cloud%20(5).jpg

Cloud got that "I'm bout to cut you every which-way but loose!" look on his face...

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I pretty much agree with you. Sergio would have to catch him with something big early like Rubio did, but finish him cuz if he didn't Ouma would prolly overwhelm him.

I think Taylor slightly ruined Ouma in a way. Before then Ouma never really gotten beaten up. Yeah Karmazin beat him but it was competitive and he didn't get the same amount of punishment he got with Taylor. Taylor was landing hard concussive flush combos on that nikka head for like 9 rounds of that fight. I think his punch resistance went down because of that since he didn't brush off shots like he used to after that fight. Then Ouma looked bad for several fights after that including losing to K9 of all people. He then became hit or miss giving cats like Vanes and GGG good fights, but he never really looked great again. I know the partying was a factor too, but I don't think it was the only factor.

partying wasnt the only factor but it was the main one. man...this dude was way out there. he was out of control during his physical prime. he was boxing's next star...I remember Max talkin about him fighting everybody from Winky to B-Hop and giving him good chance to win those fight. Ouma's decline was readily apparent....but when he got his act together, the damage was pretty much done.