Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
WBC To Order Munguia To Face Derevyanchenko-Adames Winner In Middleweight Title Eliminator
jaime-munguia%20(5)_1636757739.jpg

BY JAKE DONOVAN
Published Wed Nov 17, 2021, 11:24 AM EST

Jaime Munguia will know his next opponent by the first week of December.

By that time, an intriguing matchup will have taken place between Sergiy Derevyanchenko and Carlos Adames. The winner of that bout will be ordered by the WBC to next face Tijuana’s Munguia to determine the mandatory challenger for current WBC middleweight titlist Jermall Charlo.

“We will leave the middleweight division open until Derevyancheko fights Adames,” Mauricio Sulaiman, longtime president of the WBC noted Tuesday evening during the sanctioning body’s annual convention.

The Mexico City-headquartered organization originally ruled a final eliminator between Munguia (38-0, 30KOs) and Derevyanchenko (13-3, 10KOs), with both parties agreeing to delay talks until after both proceeded with already agreed upon separate fights. Munguia is coming off of a 12-round, unanimous decision win over Philadelphia’s Gabriel Rosado (26-14-1, 15KOs) on November 13 at The Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

Derevyanchenko—a three-time title challenger from Brooklyn by way of Ukraine—agreed to allow Munguia to proceed with the Rosado fight while taking a dangerous stay-busy fight of his own versus Dominican Republic’s Adames. The middleweight bout serves in supporting capacity to a December 5 Showtime Pay-Per-View event at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Headlining the show, Gervonta Davis (25-0, 24KOs) faces streaking contender Isaac Cruz (22-1-1, 15KOs) in a WBA “World” lightweight title fight.

The hope by Derevyanchenko is to provide momentum into a potential title eliminator with Munguia. All three career defeats have come in title fights, beginning with a competitive points loss to longtime stablemate Daniel Jacobs in their October 2018 vacant IBF title fight. Derevyanchenko fought for the same available belt roughly one year later, with many considering him to have been robbed of a win over Gennadiy Golovkin (41-1-1, 36KOs) in their October 2019 Fight of the Year-level thriller at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

A far more convincing defeat to Charlo represents Derevyanchenko’s last ring appearance, dropping a 12-round, unanimous decision last September 26 at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut.

Munguia has fought three times since then, all at middleweight after having debuted at the weight with an 11th round stoppage of Gary ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan last January. Since then has come back-to-back stoppage wins over Tureano Johnson last October and former title challenger Kamil Szeremeta this past June before going the distance with Rosado earlier this month.

Eric Gomez, Mungiua’s co-promoter and president of Golden Boy Promotions revealed that preliminary talks have already begun with Derevyanchenko’s team. The two sides are hopeful of meeting as early as March 2022.

Because of the cooperation between the teams for Munguia and Derevyanchenko, the WBC has agreed to keep the matchup in play but with an amendment—though a moot point as long as Derevyanchenko does his job in December.

“The WBC ordered a final elimination between Jaime Munguia and Sergiy Derevyanchenko,” noted Sulaiman. “Munguia had a commitment which he won. Sergiy has a fight as well December 5. We will revise the order for Munguia to face the winner of that fight.”

The development leaves Charlo with room for a voluntary title defense, or even the opportunity to test the waters at super middleweight.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
I wonder what these deals look like that get these top prospects to go to Top Rank.

As much shyt as Arum and co get, it's pretty remarkable that they remain as competitive in signing young talent as they do.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I had created a discord for TSC to have as a backup in case something happens to the coli. I know some of y'all already follow tsc but for those who don't here's the link.

Join the The Coli TSC Discord Server!

I added a The Ring section with ufc, bellator and boxing. any other suggestions are always welcome. This way if something happens to the coli with all the issues its been having over the years you guys can have a spot to link up at until another forum is created.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Canelo could dead all this by telling them to all fight each other and he will fight the winners of those fights. Take Charlo and Benavidez for example. If they fight and say Charlo wins, he will be a two division champ and have beaten an unbeaten 2 time champ at 168. At that point Charlo comes a good scalp to have on his resume. He has accolades and he has a legit win over a guy who people see as a legit fighter and threat. That is why a lot of people aren't trying to give Canelo credits for what he has done at 168 because while they were unbeaten, none have legit wins over other guys who were proven to be that guy, not me personally though I felt like Smith, BJS, and Plant were all good fights, he took 3 0's in one year.

Canelo is the draw, he can start making these demands and he should if he is all about bettering the sport. Hell Beterbiev has the best argument of any fighter from 160-175 to fight Canelo. He is a unified champ with a legit win over Gvozdyk(sp?) and is universally seen as a very dangerous fighter who has KO power in both hands. Charlo, Benavidez, Bivol, definitely not Andrade don't even come close.

So Canelo has to be in charge of everyone else's career along w his own? He gotta organize a super 6 of bum hunters so they can fight each other? Is he getting a promotional cut from this? These fighters might as well call Canelo daddy :dame:

He shouldn't have to tell these guys to fight each other they should have been doing it to get their profile up to make it so Canelo has no choice but to fight them. What do I know tho it's only the way boxing has worked since it started :heh:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So Canelo has to be in charge of everyone else's career along w his own? He gotta organize a super 6 of bum hunters so they can fight each other? Is he getting a promotional cut from this? These fighters might as well call Canelo daddy :dame:

He shouldn't have to tell these guys to fight each other they should have beem doing it to get their profile up to make it so Canelo has no choice but to fight them. What do I know tho it's only the way boxing has worked since it started :heh:

if Boo and Charlo dont unify early 2022 I'm bushing them dudes.