Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Julian Williams Waits For Shot At Revenge, Belts Against Charlo, Rosario
By Manouk Akopyan

Published On Tue Sep 1, 2020, 09:24 AM EST

PBC announced a hearty helping of shows for Showtime and FOX for the rest of the year and one of the top former champions that were left off the cards, at least for the time being, was former unified super welterweight champion Julian Williams.

Williams (27-2-1, 16 KOs) suffered a fifth-round TKO at the hands of Dominican Jeison Rosario in January in his hometown of Philadelphia, dropping his WBA, IBF and IBO titles.

Rosario (20-1-1, 14 KOs) is next scheduled to fight 154-pound champion Jermell Charlo (33-1, 17 KOs) on Sept. 26 looking to further unify the division on Showtime PPV.

julian-williams%20(3)_8.jpg

The 30-year-old Williams, who’s previously lost to brother Jermall Charlo in 2016, said he’s eyeing the winner of the upcoming fight to exact revenge one way or another as he looks to turn into a champion again.

“I’ll be fighting again before the year is up, in the latter part of 2020. I’ll be fighting for the title again soon. I’m looking to fight the winner between Charlo and Rosario,” Williams told BoxingScene.com in an interview. “Whoever has the belts, it really doesn’t matter to me. That’s who I am looking to beat. Avenging a loss always feels good, but beating a Charlo could be even better because he has a bigger name.”

Williams had a right to a rematch against Rosario, but he needed to have surgery on both eyes in March and was subsequently sidelined.

“It's counterproductive to rush into a rematch without getting his eye fixed and his eye was a big reason he lost in the first place,” Williams’ trainer Stephen Edwards told BoxingScene in March. “But Team Rosario has expressed to me personally that they are honorable and will give us the rematch very soon. Just not next because we won't be ready … Julian just has to redeem himself. Jeison Rosario fought a great fight and he got the win.”

Williams was riding high heading into the fight versus Rosario, as he’d achieved championship glory when he beat Jarrett Hurd last year in a fight of the year candidate. Against Rosario, however, he never got in going or attained a rhythm.

Williams offered his assessment regarding the performance.

“Rosario fought a basic fight against me. It was more what I didn’t do than what he did do. But he has skills, and I knew he had skills before we fought. He did well. We can go back and say I learned this, or I learned that, but I didn’t already learn anything I didn’t already know. He has a shot against Charlo, but I favor Jermell slightly,” said Williams. “I would say Charlo has the edge because he has more experience at the top level. So I would definitely give the edge to him. But Rosario is no slouch either.”

Soon after wearing his prognosticator hat, Williams opined that one fight he’s ruling out for the moment is a clash versus former 154-pound titlist Tony Harrison (28-3, 21 KOs), another fighter coming off a loss. Harrison defeated Jermell Charlo in 2018 before dropping a decision in a rematch last year.

“Why would I fight Tony Harrison? He doesn’t have a belt. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to fight me. We want to be champions,” said Williams. “I don’t have an interest in fighting anyone who doesn’t have a belt. WBO champion Patrick Teixeira is with Golden Boy, so the chances of me fighting him are pretty slim.”

Like many in the sport, Williams has been inactive due to the global pandemic caused by COVID-19. But he hasn’t felt the wrath like others because he was going to be out due to his injuries regardless.

“The pandemic has not been a problem for my boxing career and hasn’t affected me as much as others. I was going to be out for a while anyway,” said Williams. “I’m using this time to train, stay in shape and continue to get better. There have been some challenges with day-to-day life, but it’s the world that we’re living in. You just have to roll with the punches.”

i thought he had some other injury..why did he have to get surgery on both eyes?:dwillhuh:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
this isn’t really what I was talking about. I’m talking about guys that just disappeared. You just hated Peter’s business decisions.

I’m curious, what are your thoughts on the way Crawford moves?

i didnt have any issues how he moved at 135 and at 140..he became undisputed at 140 and then moved on...i personally want him to get into the mix at 147...a guy as talented as he is and is the most accomplished american fighter today shouldn't play the background or career mode or cats that are damaged..that im not cool about...the worst thing is if he spoils on the vine before getting that big fight at welterweight...and i can see signs of that now..

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
the worst thing is if he spoils on the vine before getting that big fight at welterweight...and i can see signs of that now..

where :gucci:
he in the same age range as all the other top WW (30-32) and been in less 12 round life and death bouts than them
Easier opponents and less damage -> no spoilage. Hopefully Spence has ANOTHER grueling 12 rounder against Danny, I want all them PBCs nice and ripe for Bud :russ:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
where :gucci:
he in the same age range as all the other top WW (30-32) and been in less 12 round life and death bouts than them
Easier opponents and less damage -> no spoilage. Hopefully Spence has ANOTHER grueling 12 rounder against Danny, I want all them PBCs nice and ripe for Bud :russ:

im not talking about damage bruh...there is another way of fighters spoiling...if they keep taking that fights that dont really challenge them like that...i was in the house for him vs mean machine and while he did end up giving him a beating, he wasn't as sharp as i thought he should be

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
im not talking about damage bruh...there is another way of fighters spoiling...if they keep taking that fights that dont really challenge them like that...i was in the house for him vs mean machine and while he did end up giving him a beating, he wasn't as sharp as i thought he should be

yea not worried about that at all.
On one hand yall overhype every round Bud lose and talk about his trips being KDs and now he not challenged enough :unimpressed:
Either way he fighting real opponents they not complete cans. He not going look as "sharp" as Porter last week fighting Benavidez or Horn type opponents
If he was out there looking like Danny did against Redkach I'd have the same concern as you but he still boxing beautifully, breaking guys down thru adjustments and ending the fights with KOs :manny:
All thurmans injuries, all the wear and tear on Porter, Spence accident all more of issues in a potential match then the prospect of Bud skills atrophying or him not being able to step up a level in a close bout.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
yea not worried about that at all.
On one hand yall overhype every round Bud lose and talk about his trips being KDs and now he not challenged enough :unimpressed:
Either way he fighting real opponents they not complete cans. He not going look as "sharp" as Porter last week fighting Benavidez or Horn type opponents
If he was out there looking like Danny did against Redkach I'd have the same concern as you but he still boxing beautifully, breaking guys down thru adjustments and ending the fights with KOs :manny:

yeah aint no way you can excuse ivan fukking redkach going the distance and staying on his feet for 12 rounds :heh:...thats just awful for someone who is suppose to be top contender fighting for titles next

Black_Jesus

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
from the home of coca-cola, i'm not referring to s
Mean Machine aint this bum people are claiming him to be.. None of these welterweights are as sharp as people try to claim either

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mean Machine aint this bum people are claiming him to be.. None of these welterweights are as sharp as people try to claim either

i wasnt really with the fight though because of that draw he got with ray robinson...i didnt think it was a good look for crawford to fight him after that