Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
he wasnt going to but i guess the covid stuff kinda made him think deep

but i was there live..they both beat the hell out of each other...beterbiev at the end had trademarks and shyt around his eyes but he was like he was ready to go some more...i was in the back and i saw teddy and the rest of gvozdyk's team looking pissed...gvozdyk was really fukked up!!! dude was taken the hospital in an ambulance

Damn. :ohhh:

That was a high level beatdown from both of them.

Biggest fade you've witnessed live?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Arum: 4-Fight Broadcasts, 7-Fight Cards When Boxing Returns To ESPN 8/22
By Keith Idec

Published On Tue Aug 4, 2020, 09:20 AM EST

Losing so many fights to COVID-19 in June and July has prompted Bob Arum and his matchmakers to alter their approach when his promotional company brings boxing back to ESPN later this month.

Arum plans to construct seven-fight cards for six straight Saturday nights, starting August 22 and ending September 26. Having that many fights on Top Rank’s cards will afford the company more flexibility if fighters test positive for COVID-19.

Arum expects ESPN to televise four fights apiece during those Saturday shows. The remaining three bouts likely would be streamed on ESPN+, the platform Top Rank and ESPN used for preliminary undercard bouts before the pandemic began nearly five months ago.

“We’re gonna go, when we start again, to seven fights on the cards,” Arum told BoxingScene.com, “figuring that we’re gonna lose one or two along the way. For example, let’s assume we do an event and all seven get through the COVID-19 testing. We’ll take three fights and maybe show those on ESPN+ or show highlights on ESPN, and still go with four on the telecast. We’re doing the best we can. At least the fighters understand what we’re up against.”

bob-arum_34.jpg

Top Rank built mostly five-fight and sometimes six-fight cards when ESPN brought boxing back to its airwaves June 9. Seven of the last 10 Top Rank main events on ESPN either were altered, canceled or postponed due to COVID-19, injuries and a failed performance-enhancing drug test before they took a break following the July 21 telecast from MGM Grand Conference Center in Las Vegas.

Each of the 13 Top Rank cards ESPN aired from June 9 to July 21 took place either on Tuesday nights or Thursday nights. Top Rank shows shifted back to Saturday nights, more traditional time slots for boxing, because ESPN has other live sports programming on weeknights now that the NBA, MLB, MLS and WNBA seasons have resumed or started.

One of the main events ESPN postponed during Top Rank’s run in June and July will headline its August 22 show from MGM Grand Conference Center.

Colombia’s Eleider Alvarez (25-1, 13 KOs) and Long Island’s Joe Smith Jr. (25-3, 20 KOs) will meet in the 12-round main event that night. The winner of their WBO light heavyweight elimination match will compete for the WBO’s 175-pound crown in his following fight.

Whoever emerges victorious when the third-ranked Alvarez and the fourth-rated Smith meet will face the winner between Russians Umar Salamov and Maksim Vlasov. Salamov (25-1, 19 KOs) is ranked number one by the WBO and Vlasov (45-3, 26 KOs) is ranked second.

Alvarez and Smith were supposed to square off in ESPN’s main event July 16, but their fight was postponed late in June because Alvarez suffered a shoulder injury while training.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
---from The Athletic---

The firing of Showtime boxing analyst Paulie Malignaggi last week over racially charged remarks in a YouTube interview left the man who first hired him conflicted as a friend but unbending as a boss.

“It is disappointing. We certainly have a lot of affection for Paulie, and he’s developed into a very good analyst. It’s always difficult when you have to part ways,” Showtime Sports President Stephen Espinoza said on this week’s episode of The Athletic’s “The Pug and Copp Boxing Show.”

Espinoza, in his ninth year in the position, made the decision last Wednesday, just a few days before the first live card for Showtime since the COVID-19 pandemic struck in March. The broadcast team includes Mauro Ranallo and International Boxing Hall of Fame members Al Bernstein, Barry Tompkins and Steve Farhood.

In an interview with IFL, Malignaggi referenced how “it’s no longer the time of the African American in boxing” and how Eastern European fighters have “become the dominant species.” He additionally said he believed “racial oppression in 2020” is “all made up and exaggerated.”

Malignaggi, a former two-division world champion from Brooklyn, had also inflamed his bosses with disparaging remarks about Black Lives Matter and the single-parent rates of Black children in recent months. One Showtime official told The Athletic that the IFL interview was “the straw that broke the camel’s back.”

“I’ve seen some of what’s been written (regarding Malignaggi’s termination),” Espinoza said on Monday’s podcast. “Some of it is a little simplistic … some writers have attributed it to one specific instance. Really, that’s not quite accurate. It was a bigger holistic thing.”

According to an individual with direct knowledge of the events, Showtime asked Malignaggi to apologize. He prepared a statement and sent it to the premium cable network, which responded by asking for revisions reflecting a more aggressive apology. Before he completed those revisions, Malignaggi learned he was out and felt blindsided, his ouster being revealed in a story published first by Boxing Scene, owned by Showtime’s parent company, CBS.

Malignaggi, reached Monday night by The Athletic’s Sarah Shephard, said in a text message he “enjoyed my almost eight years there” and thanked Showtime for “the opportunity to discover a talent I never would have otherwise known I had.”

It’s unclear if Sky Sports in the United Kingdom will retain Malignaggi as an analyst on its international bouts.

Part of Malignaggi’s undoing was linked to the fact that members of Showtime’s crew felt embarrassed and awkward about being connected to the fighter, being left to defend him or make excuses for his rants and unfiltered comments.

“He was consistently putting his colleagues — and these are accomplished broadcasters — along with his bosses and network in a position of defending him,” one Showtime employee said on the condition of anonymity, being unauthorized to speak publicly on personnel matters. “He was not being a good teammate.

“He’s very good on the air, but he can’t control himself, and it can’t be excused anymore. We couldn’t give him any more passes.”

Malignaggi’s recklessness first alarmed Showtime officials in the buildup to the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor fight in 2017. Multiple interviews at the time about a controversial sparring session with McGregor generated off-colored banter. At the fight’s weigh-in, a Showtime rep said, Malignaggi apparently spit at a fan.

“Every time I’d be around the media, the subject matter would end up going to Paulie and McGregor, and of course Showtime is trying to promote the Mayweather vs. McGregor fight in a certain way,” Malignaggi told The Athletic in April. “To tell you the truth, there were some disagreements there because I thought the fight was promoted like crazy because of the beef myself and McGregor had.

“No matter whether it was negative or positive, I still think the fight received incredible publicity because of the fiasco me and Conor had. So I don’t think I agreed very much with my superiors not being too happy with me. But I also understand that they wanted to give a certain visual of professionality and whatnot … .”

Showtime Sports executive Stephen Espinoza hired former three-division champion Abner Mares for last weekend’s broadcast. (Mike Lawrie / Getty Images)
Malignaggi additionally spewed caustic comments at UFC President Dana White on Twitter and went over the line, according to one Showtime executive, in his verbal exchanges with bare-knuckle opponent Artem Lobov.

“I don’t shy away from saying what I want to say, but there’s a way to deliver it,” Malignaggi told The Athletic in April. “It’s your delivery that can make a big difference in keeping the respect of your peers. If you’re going to criticize, you have to really understand what you’re talking about. I base it off fact. I’ll break down exactly what I’m criticizing and exactly what can be done to try and make a positive spin about it if I can.”

Yet Espinoza said there was no interest in spinning this latest Malignaggi transgression. Instead, he hired former three-division champion Abner Mares for Saturday’s broadcast, offering to buy out Malignaggi’s contract, according to a source.

“We take great pride in our announcer team,” Espinoza said. “We have the most experienced, respected and accomplished announcer team. We have very high standards for our announcers and those who represent our brand.”

The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger contributed to this report

(Top photo of Malignaggi: Minas Panagiotakis / Getty Images)

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I think whatever deal Lara signed with Al stated he must headline. Remember when he headlined vs Gushua over Lubin/Charlo, and the latter had all the buzz that week?
yeah thats right :heh:..stupid fukking fight killed the whole vibe of the card