Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
see i bet you this predicament wouldn't have happened if canelo's fights were actually must sees

its actually sad that tyson vs jones jr has more intrigue or interest than canelo's fights outside of GGG

canelo can pick callum smith within the next few days and no one will care...but roy jones and mike tyson will dominate all mainstream boxing/mainstream sports talk and among the casuals until it happens or it doesnt happen lol

Screenshot-20200723-152811-2.png

Screenshot-20200723-152840-2.png

I see the triple #GGGroupies getting real bold today knowing damn well Golovkin couldn't sell a PPV in 2020 on any date.:mjlol:

Maybe if Golovkin wasn't getting bullied by Derevy Canelo wouldn't have these issues.:why:

Maybe if Smith didn't need gift decisions against Ryder we wouldn't be having these discussions.:hhh:

Maybe if Andrade fought Charlo, the public would have another mega fight hyped up.:beli:

It's a goddamn shame seeing these grown men waiting around instead of forcing the issue.

And it's still the #Cartel on all you hating azz #GGGroupies

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
I guess this is what happens when HBO relentlessly pushes some 30+ old fighter and positions his whole legacy and career around another fighter. His fanboys can't get over the fact that little Canelo, who was supposedly scared of the Boogeyman, beat their hero's ass. All that GGG hype was supposed to be vindicated with a dominant win against Canelo but now you guys just look stupid. :russ:

200.gif

Gunned up and clapped quick.:picard:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Screenshot-20200723-152811-2.png

Screenshot-20200723-152840-2.png

I see the triple #GGGroupies getting real bold today knowing damn well Golovkin couldn't sell a PPV in 2020 on any date.:mjlol:

Maybe if Golovkin wasn't getting bullied by Derevy Canelo wouldn't have these issues.:why:

Maybe if Smith didn't need gift decisions against Ryder we wouldn't be having these discussions.:hhh:

Maybe if Andrade fought Charlo, the public would have another mega fight hyped up.:beli:

It's a goddamn shame seeing these grown men waiting around instead of forcing the issue.

And it's still the #Cartel on all you hating azz #GGGroupies

Quite the manifesto...what I said rang clear:sas1:...blaming other men for another man's shortcomings :dame:

nothing about mike and roy being more relevant in 2020 than the roided ginger I see:sas2:...about to be outshined by that and PBC showing actual competence. I look forward to the hyping of who he picks by you Stanleys having to hype up his next fight and I turn on captions because Rosetta stone failed him and laugh when Mike's padwork videos gets all the attention :umad:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
You still haven't gotten past the denial stage ? GGG fanboys are mentally ill:mjlol:

I guess this is what happens when HBO relentlessly pushes some 30+ old fighter and positions his whole legacy and career around another fighter. His fanboys can't get over the fact that little Canelo, who was supposedly scared of the Boogeyman, beat their hero's ass. All that GGG hype was supposed to be vindicated with a dominant win against Canelo but now you guys just look stupid. :russ:
Not even a fanboy. He earned my respect. Avoided for years and beat the shyt out of Canelo both fights. We can agree to disagree.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
speaking of roy and mike

Mike Tyson Opens As Betting Favorite Over Roy Jones In Exhibition
By Jake Donovan

Published On Thu Jul 23, 2020, 07:46 PM EST

Early betting odds suggest that Roy Jones Jr. stood a better chance of beating Mike Tyson in a real fight 17 years ago than in a fake fight during present day.

With news of an exhibition match taking place between the legendary former champs, oddsmakers like the 54-year old Tyson to come out on top. The former undisputed heavyweight champion has opened at an eye-catching -350 betting favorite (bet $350 to win back an additional $100) by BetOnline.ag for their faux meeting, which is due to take place September 12 at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California.

Jones, who turned 51 in January, has been installed as a +275 underdog (bet $100 to win back an additional $275) for the spectacle, for which both retired boxers will wear 12 oz. gloves according to Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole.

mike-tyson-2.jpg

Tyson (50-6, 44KOs) saw his 20-year career come to a close in June 2005, suffering a 6th round stoppage loss to fringe contender Kevin McBride. The former two-time heavyweight champion ended his career having been stopped in three of his last four contests, with a 1st round knockout of Clifford Ettiene bookended by knockout losses to then-World heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis (June 2002) and Danny Williams in July 2004.

By his own admission, Tyson didn’t box at all after the McBride debacle until 2006, when he entered a four-round charity exhibition match versus then-journeyman heavyweight Corey ‘T-Rex’ Sanders. The two met in an October 2006 event which aired live on independent Pay-Per-View from the Chevrolet Centre (now known as Covelli Centre) in Youngstown, Ohio.

A similar approach will be taken here. According to Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix, tentative plans call for the exhibition match to top a PPV event to be streamed live via music app Triller.

Wedged in between Tyson’s bouts with Ettiene and Williams was supposed to be a real fight with Jones (66-9, 47KOs) in 2003. The fighting pride of Pensacola, Florida was fresh off of a 12-round win over John Ruiz to win a heavyweight belt and become a four-division titlist when was in deep negotiations for a title defense versus Tyson. A clash with Evander Holyfield was also under consideration, though a PPV showdown versus Tyson was considered the far more sellable of the two—Tyson owned the four highest-grossing PPV events in boxing history at the time.

Given his heavyweight adventure, those who previously doubted Jones liked his chances of boxing to a decision over that version of Tyson. A deal couldn’t be reached, however, prompting Jones to drop back down to light heavyweight, scoring his last-ever win in a title fight. It came in November 2003, regaining his slew of belts in a 12-round majority decision over Antonio Tarver.

Their rematch six months later saw Jones—universally regarded as the best pound-for-pound boxer at the time, and at or close to number one dating back to his November 1994 boxing clinic of then-unbeaten James Toney—suffer the first knockout loss of his career as he was stopped in two rounds. It was the first of three straight losses, including a repeat defeat to Tarver via 12-round decision int their October 2005 rubber match.

Jones would fight for another 12 ½ years, going 17-5 over that stretch before calling it a career in February 2018. It ended on a high note, outpointing Scott Sigmon over 10 rounds in their February 2018 clash at the Pensacola Civic Center, where his legendary pro career began nearly 30 years prior.

The last time Jones entered any fight—real or otherwise—as a betting underdog came in May 2011, when he was at +400 for an eventual 10th round knockout loss to Denis Lebedev in Moscow, Russia. A 46-year old version of Jones came in as a slight betting favorite for his eventual 4th round knockout loss to former cruiserweight titlist Enzo Maccarinelli, who was 35 at the time of their December 2015 bout.