Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
I will say this much though, as far as defense is concerned these fighters now a days don't take nearly as many power punches as a lot of 90s fighters did, especially the heavyweights.

Anthony Joshua is more defensively responsible than ANY 90s heavyweight when he actually just uses his length and fights big, and in the 90s he would easily be the biggest heavyweight, bigger than Lewis or Bowe. Tyson Fury honestly that size difference and his ability to be crafty and move instead of being a big slow behemoth but can if he needs to as he just proved, he is a matchup nightmare bruh. I don't know I can see how this era of heavyweights would have success back then, even if a lot of them back then had more technical skills offensively.
Yeah imo the 90s guys seem more offensively well rounded. Could fight well going forward even on the inside etc. AJ and fury when they use their height are an absolute headache to hit especially fury

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I watched a build up of this back then, Billy Graham (hatton's trainer) created different game plans for Ricky and had him spar with fighter's emulating Tszyu's style, and about 3 or 4 of the 5 styles/game plan ricky used were terrible..So Billy said, OK we are going to Mull him, bully him, rip him apart and finish him with a body shot (in the later rounds).

Tszyu could do everything except fight on the inside going backwards. Tszyu could fight going backwards, as long as he could set his feet when he punched because he would always try to punch you out of coming forwards instead of being defensive on the backfoot. Hatton was tough he realized he would have to take some punishment and keep the fight at close quarters to win and he came out there and won it exactly that way. Tszyu wasn't a great fighter on the inside, at range and in the box he would break you down and pick you apart, on the inside where he doesn't have room to work he got beat.

The axe murderer

Daps
Tszyu could do everything except fight on the inside going backwards. Tszyu could fight going backwards, as long as he could set his feet when he punched because he would always try to punch you out of coming forwards instead of being defensive on the backfoot. Hatton was tough he realized he would have to take some punishment and keep the fight at close quarters to win and he came out there and won it exactly that way. Tszyu wasn't a great fighter on the inside, at range and in the box he would break you down and pick you apart, on the inside where he doesn't have room to work he got beat.
That's one of the issues he had. He was a bloody good boxer. Check his amateur bouts like the one with vernon he could box very well. On inside it was struggle vs hatton

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Yeah imo the 90s guys seem more offensively well rounded. Could fight well going forward even on the inside etc. AJ and fury when they use their height are an absolute headache to hit especially fury

90's heavyweights took a lot of punches, I think that's why people hated Wlad so much, he was big but didn't fight like it a lot, he just boxed really well most of the time. 90s fights were some wars bruh, everyone took a lot of punches back then.

The axe murderer

Daps
90's heavyweights took a lot of punches, I think that's why people hated Wlad so much, he was big but didn't fight like it a lot, he just boxed really well most of the time. 90s fights were some wars bruh, everyone took a lot of punches back then.
For real. I don't blame wlad. It worked for him and he still got a ton of knockouts.

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
I will say this much though, as far as defense is concerned these fighters now a days don't take nearly as many power punches as a lot of 90s fighters did, especially the heavyweights.

Anthony Joshua is more defensively responsible than ANY 90s heavyweight when he actually just uses his length and fights big, and in the 90s he would easily be the biggest heavyweight, bigger than Lewis or Bowe. Tyson Fury honestly that size difference and his ability to be crafty and move instead of being a big slow behemoth but can if he needs to as he just proved, he is a matchup nightmare bruh. I don't know I can see how this era of heavyweights would have success back then, even if a lot of them back then had more technical skills offensively.
The fighters of the 90s were much better offensively than the HWs of today. Them being in wars with each other actually means they'd fair better against the HWs of today. Joshua and Fury wouldn't fair well against the 90s HWs, even if they are more defensively responsible.

I like Joshua, but he'd have trouble with even the B guys of that era. Imagine AJ against a guy like David Tua, who never won a world title, but is better than 90% of the guys Joshua fought including Andy Ruiz. Very good chance Tua would take his head off

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
The fighters of the 90s were much better offensively than the HWs of today. Them being in wars with each other actually means they'd fair better against the HWs of today. Joshua and Fury wouldn't fair well against the 90s HWs, even if they are more defensively responsible.

I like Joshua, but he'd have trouble with even the B guys of that era. Imagine AJ against a guy like David Tua, who never won a world title, but is better than 90% of the guys Joshua fought including Andy Ruiz. Very good chance Tua would take his head off

Bro Anthony Joshua is too big, and can box to well for that and he has enough power to keep you honest. No 90s heavyweight would have just walked through him.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Derevyanchenko is a solid B guy, so Charlo should get full credit if he beats him clean. Especially if he gets the stoppage.

Charlo has been living off his J-Rock KO for far too long now, this is the type of fight (and win) that he needs
This is the fight Charlo needs to put direct pressure on canelo. Dude hasn't fought anybody worth shyt since j rock. And he still got korobov problems :yeshrug:

But if Charlo manages to go in there and knock chenko out he would solidify himself at a truly elite guy. And it would setup a canelo fight perfectly. I Could even see dazn pushing for that fight over a little g one. Charlo knocking out the guy who fukked up golovkin. That's the whole reason canelo wants chenko as well. To do what little g failed to. So if Charlo can get that victory it would be huge. Chenko will be the biggest test of his life.

The public really doesn't care much about golovkin anymore. He's seen as damaged goods. Canelo vs Charlo and Spence vs Crawford is what the world needs right now. Great boxing matches but also guaranteed action. Both of those fights can end in knock out either way. Those are the type of matchups people want.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
California
3c6d3f5a569d077961c56547852fd287.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
Bro Anthony Joshua is too big, and can box to well for that and he has enough power to keep you honest. No 90s heavyweight would have just walked through him.
They wouldn't walk through him, but they don't need to. Joshua doesn't have the best footwork, plus he's a bit stiff and robotic. He can be hit and hurt. Against guys that are better boxers and/or punchers, that would be a problem for AJ.

I would like to see AJ vs Ike ibeabuchi
Ike would would be a nightmare matchup for AJ with his pressure and high workrate :whoa:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
They wouldn't walk through him, but they don't need to. Joshua doesn't have the best footwork, plus he's a bit stiff and robotic. He can be hit and hurt. Against guys that are better boxers and/or punchers, that would be a problem for AJ.

Ike would would be a nightmare matchup for AJ with his pressure and high workrate :whoa:
AJ boxed Ruiz the fukk up in that rematch :yeshrug:

Dude proved he's more than just power. AJ has legit technical ability and he's probably the most compact puncher at heavyweight. He looked far better shedding all the extra muscle. AJ is capable of beating anybody when he's at his best. None of those guys are all time greats.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Derevyanchenko is a solid B guy, so Charlo should get full credit if he beats him clean. Especially if he gets the stoppage.

Charlo has been living off his J-Rock KO for far too long now, this is the type of fight (and win) that he needs

The last legit middleweight Charlo fought was Korobov and he didn't look all that good (still had him winning, but it was close) so a Derevyanchenko is the perfect fight to see if dude improved since then cuz he only been fighting 154'lbers after that.

plus now that Krillin got murked again, that Charlo KO ain't as impressive as before.

The axe murderer

Daps
The last legit middleweight Charlo fought was Korobov and he didn't look all that good (still had him winning, but it was close) so a Derevyanchenko is the perfect fight to see if dude improved since then cuz he only been fighting 154'lbers after that.

plus now that Krillin got murked again, that Charlo KO ain't as impressive as before.
fukking krillin:mjlol: