Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
interesting comments from doug's mailbag

A question

his answer

Whole post is facts.
Them nikkas are HOF's no doubt, but :camby: and :mjlol:on calling these nikkas ATG's.

I'm not giving nikkas passes for not fighting enough meaningful fights in this era. Hopefully this pandemic changes that shyt. A lot of the boxers today aim to be in the Hall of Very Good and eventually hope we recognize their efforts as greatness instead. :pacspit: not on my watch.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Ain't think of Edison Miranda in a minute :mjcry:
Maybe ATG needs to be adjusted for era too. It's a shame guys get built up for 20+ fights now days but I don't see it changing anytime soon. Going take rare Lomo type circumstances for a fighter to hit the ground running really challenging themselves in this era
Add on to that the fact most guys fight 2 times at most now days with some fighting only once a year and resumes gonna be light as hell if fighting other HOFers is the criteria for ATG status

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Ain't think of Edison Miranda in a minute :mjcry:
Maybe ATG needs to be adjusted for era too. It's a shame guys get built up for 20+ fights now days but I don't see it changing anytime soon. Going take rare Lomo type circumstances for a fighter to hit the ground running really challenging themselves in this era
Add on to that the fact most guys fight 2 times at most now days with some fighting only once a year and resumes gonna be light as hell if fighting other HOFers is the criteria for ATG status

thats always been the standard and shouldn't change.
If beating back top contenders/unifying with other champs is what makes you HOF material, then to be ATG level you gotta be beating other HOF's. There always gotta be levels. A lot of boxers from this era will barely be HOF, let alone ATGs. Too many boxers put more faith into the business of boxing than they do their own skills and the match making shows.

Hopefully guys like Teofimo and Spence can help change that energy since they plan on jumping back in with top names without missing a beat.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Danny Garcia: If Spence Ain't Better, Don’t Get In The Ring; Don’t Want No Excuses
By Keith Idec

Published On Mon May 25, 2020, 08:38 AM EDT

Terence Crawford admitted recently that he wouldn’t want to be Errol Spence Jr.’s first opponent after Spence’s car accident because he wouldn’t get the proper credit for beating Spence.

Danny Garcia doesn’t share those concerns with Crawford, the unbeaten WBO welterweight champion. The former two-division champion is more than willing to face Spence this fall.

Garcia just doesn’t want Spence or anyone else to use his car accident as an excuse when Garcia upsets Spence in their fight for Spence’s IBF and WBC welterweight titles. Al Haymon hasn’t told the 32-year-old Garcia that he’ll definitely fight Spence next, but the Philadelphia native expects Spence or Manny Pacquiao to be his next opponent.

spence-danny-garcia.jpg

Garcia (36-2, 21 KOs) was blunt when asked during a recent appearance on “The Ak And Barak Show” if he is concerned that he wouldn’t get credit for defeating Spence (26-0, 21 KOs).

“Not at all because if you ain’t a hundred percent, don’t get in the ring,” Garcia said on a show that streams daily on DAZN and SiriusXM. “If you ain’t ready, don’t get in the ring. You know? That’s just that simple. You know, I know they say Manny’s older now, but he’s coming off a big win. So, if he’s old, don’t get in the ring. If Spence ain’t better, don’t get in the ring cuz I don’t wanna hear no excuses. I never made no excuses.”

The Philippines’ Pacquiao is 41, but the iconic southpaw beat Keith Thurman (29-1, 22 KOs, 1 NC) by split decision in his last fight. Pacquiao (62-7-2, 39 KOs) won the WBA welterweight title from Thurman in that July 20 bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Spence suffered cuts to his face and lost teeth during a one-car accident October 10 in downtown Dallas. The Dallas Police Department charged Spence with driving while intoxicated as a result of that scary crash.

The 30-year-old Spence since has recovered and resumed training. The DeSoto, Texas, native divulged last month during an interview on Showtime’s “All The Smoke” podcast that he wouldn’t be cleared to spar until three posts in his mouth were replaced with permanent teeth.

Regardless, Garcia is hopeful that a FOX Sports Pay-Per-View fight that was supposed to take place January 25 happens sometime in the fall.

“You know, I seen things in the Mikey Garcia fight, even though he won that fight,” Danny Garcia said of Spence’s victory in March 2019. “You know, he won by a big score, but I saw things in that fight that, you know, I’m bigger than Mikey, I’m stronger than Mikey and Mikey did some good things in that fight. He just was beat by the bigger, better man. You know what I mean?

“And then the [Shawn] Porter fight, you know, I saw he was getting hit a lot. You know, when I fought Porter, it wasn’t even a hard fight to me like that. You know what I mean? It was just he just threw more and that’s why he won, basically. But I seen him get hit a lot in that fight and I seen a lot of mistakes, where I feel like, you know, I could take this guy. I’m a hundred-percent confident I could take him.”

rico_ens

Pro
Daps
I got six dental implants and I can say for a fact it strengthens ur jaw especially if u got them to the bottom spence should be able to take shots better now metal screws don't shatter like pure bone.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
Times change man, you can't knock fighters for fighting less now, a lot of those guys in the past records were filled with 'fluff'. You have to base their ATG status based off who was in front of them at the time, and if they fought/beat who was there or not.
To me in this day in age you need at least 30 top 10 wins on your resume to be an ATG or wins over other ATGs like Floyd has. Can’t just have anybody saying they are ATGs, while it’s a different time still have to have great quantity.
interesting comments from doug's mailbag

A question

his answer

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
I can't stand Doug with his Ozone from Breakin' 2 Electric Bugaloo looking ass lol. He's biased as hell & always has been since his Maxboxing mailbag/posting days over there

That said you can't fault SOG for his level of comp when he beat/dominated & unified titles against the tog dogs of his era & weight class. He did what he was supposed to at the elite level he has at
I think if he gets a couple more wins he can be an ATG, let’s say he beats Stevenson, Jack, Bute, Bivol or Beterbiev. Then his resume looks crazy good.