Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Actually he lost to Kessler too first, forgot to include that but he beat him on the rematch and I think Kessler would have a good chance too to beat the current 168 crop

in the end froch has the names on his record...dude has 4 notable zeros...obviously debatable though and he put some work in the division

froch was always a caveman to me

he beat pascal in a legit war
he would have lost his belt to a near shot jermain taylor if he didn't KO him
he got a mean gift against andre dirrell - he was lucky to not lose his belt
showed he could actually box competently against abraham and damn near blanked him (i lost some money on this and litzau beating caballero that night)
lost to kessler in the best fight in the whole super six tournament but avenged it
dude had a close competitive fight with glen johnson who drained to enter the tournament
lost clear to a one handed ward
best victory in taking bute's zero - this should have been ward doing this and its still a mistake from him
was losing to groves the first time around before winning via british ref stoppage, won clearer the next time around

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
De La Hoya Reveals Receiving Threat From Cartel Before Chavez Fight
By BoxingScene Staff

Published On Mon May 18, 2020, 04:23 AM EDT

In a recent interview with Yahoo Sports, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya revealed that he received threats from a Mexican drug trafficker prior to his fight with Julio Cesar Chavez.

In 1996, De La Hoya defeated Chávez in just four rounds and captured the World Boxing Council (WBC) junior welterweight title.

The victory was historic for De La Hoya, but it earned him the contempt of Mexico's boxing fans.

Chavez is widely regarded as the greatest fighter to come out of Mexico. And during his career he was treated like a mega-star in the country.

de-la-hoya-chavez.jpg

In the first encounter, Chavez suffered a cut in the first round. It grew worse, round by round, and eventually led to the fight being stopped. There were rumors that Chavez entered the fight with a pre-existing cut that he sustained during training camp.

They had a rematch two years later, which was tougher than the first contest, but De La Hoya still came away with another stoppage win, this time in eight rounds.

But before the initial clash, De La Hoya was under a lot of pressure with threats of violence if he beat Chavez.

"The cartels went to my camp, for Julio César Chávez, due to his importance.. they went to Big Bear (California) and threatened me, that if I won, who knows what would have happened.. imagine the pressure, it was just crazy," De La Hoya said.

To make matters worse, De La Hoya also disclosed that he received a letter from the former president of Mexico, Ernesto Zedillo, who asked De La Hoya not to carry the Mexican flag on his trunks for the Chávez fight.

“The government of Mexico threatened me that if I wore a patch with the Mexican flag on my trunks, which I was used to wearing... the flag of Mexico and the United States, they would never let me in (the country) again. I even have the letter, signed by President (Ernesto) Zedillo," De La Hoya concluded.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
in the end froch has the names on his record...dude has 4 notable zeros...obviously debatable though and he put some work in the division

froch was always a caveman to me

he beat pascal in a legit war
he would have lost his belt to a near shot jermain taylor if he didn't KO him
he got a mean gift against andre dirrell - he was lucky to not lose his belt
showed he could actually box competently against abraham and damn near blanked him (i lost some money on this and litzau beating caballero that night)
lost to kessler in the best fight in the whole super six tournament but avenged it
dude had a close competitive fight with glen johnson who drained to enter the tournament
lost clear to a one handed ward
best victory in taking bute's zero - this should have been ward doing this and its still a mistake from him
was losing to groves the first time around before winning via british ref stoppage, won clearer the next time around

I was MAD at that stoppage at the first Groves fight, thought Groves gonna avenge it in the rematch, well...

and yes the Dirrell fight was a gift but to be fair idk if I would pick any of the current top 168ers, not counting Canelo to bet that version of Dirrell either
That 168 division was pretty deep

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I was MAD at that stoppage at the first Groves fight, thought Groves gonna avenge it in the rematch, well...

and yes the Dirrell fight was a gift but to be fair idk if I would pick any of the current top 168ers, not counting Canelo to bet that version of Dirrell either
That 168 division was pretty deep

Groves nearly got Froch out of there in round 1...30 more secs and that would have been a reality

I will say this..Froch vs Dirrell was not an easy watch by any means...but froch couldn't do ANYTHING to dirrell. cuz he couldn't catch him or cut off the ring on him...meanwhile Dirrell was the one countering him and rocking him like twice...froch basically won the fight on ineffective aggression even though he didn't land shyt...and you know he had a hard time cuz this mfr fouling like crazy lol but dirrell was the one who got a point took and got warnings...fukk outta here :gucci:

168 had a nice little renaissance man...super six was good for it even with its flaws..showtime needs to back more tournaments in these divisions

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Groves nearly got Froch out of there in round 1...30 more secs and that would have been a reality

I will say this..Froch vs Dirrell was not an easy watch by any means...but froch couldn't do ANYTHING to dirrell. cuz he couldn't catch him or cut off the ring on him...meanwhile Dirrell was the one countering him and rocking him like twice...froch basically won the fight on ineffective aggression even though he didn't land shyt...and you know he had a hard time cuz this mfr fouling like crazy lol but dirrell was the one who got a point took and got warnings...fukk outta here :gucci:

168 had a nice little renaissance man...super six was good for it even with its flaws..showtime needs to back more tournaments in these divisions
Showtime is about to bring boxing-Bellator crossover events not tournaments... :heh::scusthov:

Jokes aside... I think Showtime is slowly getting out of the business, hard to see them compete with DAZN/ESPN/FOX for a long time. They probably gonna live a few years more off of their relationship with Haymon, they will get to stage a better card here and there but FOX already took the mantle from them as the premier channel of PBC. Well, not in broadcasting quality cause Showtime's is the best out there in all boxing but in terms of where important cards are being held.

Who knows though once it already seemed it's over for them, when PBC first started and all the other channels started to get the good dates and yet they survived and took back the leading role inside the PBC universe. This sitaution feels different though and the deal between PBC and FOX seems more serious than the earlier time buys.